Xbox One X Page 141

• Page

of 163 First / Last

• MrFlay 14 Nov 2017 19:20:41 3,626 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos for Headphones work with any set of headphones.
  • Vice.Destroyer 14 Nov 2017 19:41:51 7,114 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    I am quite interested in this new Dolby Atmos and Windows Sonic. For those of us with kids and a perennially exhausted other half, you will understand why.

Has anybody given it a try? Will I be able to use the headphone jack in the controller? Has anybody got any idea what sort of earphones (if any) are Windows Sonic compatible? Failing that, which ear phones?
    It works with any headphones. It's not really Dolby Atmos. It's Dolby Atmos for Headphones. It uses the two sound channels to simulate a 3d surround sound setup. You can use the headphone jack.

It's a more advanced version of what you already get with the Astro A50s and similar headphones which use a mixamp to generate the fake 5.1 surround sound. Those headphones are all just normal headphones. I think Tritton had headphones with multiple drivers but it's a pretty stupid idea.

You can test it for free or use Windows Sonic for free. Personally I found Windows Sonic great for media but not great for regular games. You also have to disable any processing your headphone solution does. Usually this is a Dolby button.
    Cheers for the info. I used my headphones in the end and thought I'd leave it.
  • ChiefGB 14 Nov 2017 22:30:19 7,390 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, after the first day rush, things seem to have subsided a little. I've had stock in for the last few days that hasn't been snapped up.
  • Technoishmatt 15 Nov 2017 02:23:09 2,134 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ChiefGB what are your forecasts? I would have expected big splash on release, then a lull (it is a midgen refresh not new system), and then pick up again for Christmas (alongside expected new purchases of 4K TVs). Further spikes as flagship games with enhancements are released.
  • Technoishmatt 15 Nov 2017 04:02:54 2,134 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Coolio, Ghost Recon Wildlands has an X patch. Higher resolution (not sure if 4K, HDR, and bunch of visual stuff like LOD and texture loading.
  • ChiefGB 15 Nov 2017 10:02:55 7,390 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dunno if sarcastic but we don't have specific unit forecasts. However in less than a week I would have expected people to still be trying snap it up.
  • TheSaint 15 Nov 2017 10:07:27 17,426 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Only a week away from black Friday though, anyone not desperate would probably be waiting to see if any deals surface.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 Nov 2017 10:09:15 2,096 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The XB1X is a premium console pitched very heavily at the hardcore console gamer. That's a highly engaged market made up of people who are much more likely than average to want to buy a new console on launch day.

I wouldn't be surprised if sales dipped sharply now. The price is well out of the impulse purchase range and may even be too high for the average family Christmas gift. They'll probably build back up over time, as the advantages of the XB1X for the average non-hardcore console gamer become clearer.

I've generally found week 1 sales figures for consoles to be pretty much meaningless unless stock constraints are also factored in. It's all very well saying the XB1X outsold the Switch in the UK, but launch-day stock of the Switch was horribly constrained. I remember people getting excited about strong sales for the Wii-U at launch, but it was never stock constrained and most of the latent demand for it was met in the first 2 months.
  • Vortex808 15 Nov 2017 10:10:54 11,736 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm really enjoying the new machine, just need to get a move on and update the telly now.

I was playing Rocket League and fortnite with our lad (he was on the OG machine through the house) whilst using headsets and he had a ball. I enjoyed it too. It was a lot of fun.

Fortnite battle royale is a bit janky, but fun enough for a short go. Trying to rein in his gung-ho nature to play a bit more tactically is quite comical though. :D
  • beastmaster 15 Nov 2017 12:02:48 17,639 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are the Telltale games improved in any way? They were always a jerky mess!
  • VanillaLake 15 Nov 2017 13:04:03 551 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got mine. It's impressively small and quiet, it looks much nicer than in the photos. It looks really premium and setting it up was a piece of cake. I have tried backwards compatibility and stuttering is gone in games like Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts. I tried some Xbox One games like Halo 5 and Gears of War 4 and they look much much better even on a 1080p TV. So, if you don't have a 4K TV yet, I'd still recommend it to you (to those asking). The combination of much smoother performance and better visuals make it worth it and that can only get better with 4K and HDR. Stuttering in Ryse is also gone. Even awfully optimised The Turing Test game performs better. I want to keep trying games like Resident Evil 5 that seemed to need a little boost as well.
  • Malek86 15 Nov 2017 13:11:52 6,441 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @VanillaLake if you have it, can you try Hydro Thunder? It was given away with Gold, but the X1 version seems to hover between 30fps and 60fps and generally judders quite a bit.
  • VanillaLake 15 Nov 2017 13:16:29 551 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Malek86 I can do it. I will also check electricity consumption while in stand-by/instant-on while downloading and while not and when is turned off.
  • Fake_Blood 15 Nov 2017 13:17:12 7,905 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Dunno if sarcastic but we don't have specific unit forecasts. However in less than a week I would have expected people to still be trying snap it up.
    Well, it’s for people with 4k tvs that use it for gaming, and went for xbox. That’s a subset of a subset of a subset of users.
  • VanillaLake 15 Nov 2017 13:40:14 551 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Xbox One X electricity consumption:

On (dashboard): around 50W

Instant-on while downloading to and powering an external HDD: around 35W

Instant-on while not downloading: around 10W

Off (instant-on disabled) and not powering external HDD (disconnected): less than 0.5W (if you leave an external HDD connected is around 1W).

Edited by VanillaLake at 14:07:27 15-11-2017
  • Mrsyms 15 Nov 2017 13:47:49 178 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Glad you finally got yours mate! Seem pretty reasonable figures. Thanks for taking the time out to measure. Instant On is the way forward for me, but with the info you provided, everyone can make their own educated decision. +1 for thr post from me.
  • VanillaLake 15 Nov 2017 13:55:06 551 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mrsyms Yeah I got it! :) Thank you for your nice words. The figures are very reasonable, those who want nearly zero power consumption can turn instant-on off. Instant-on is very handy for downloads but it's going to use some power for downloading and powering the external HDD, obviously.

Edited by VanillaLake at 14:12:18 15-11-2017
  • Technoishmatt 15 Nov 2017 15:07:56 2,134 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That mirrors the Anandtech measurements on power consumption.

Wonder why ArsTechnica came out so different (and high in instant-on).
  • Fake_Blood 15 Nov 2017 15:13:38 7,905 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Probably measured it on day 1 when it was doing all the updating?
  • woodnotes 15 Nov 2017 15:42:50 4,967 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Can anyone recommend a decent external HDD for the X? I'm assuming I'll want 7200RPM, or perhaps a SSHD in an enclosure/caddy? If so, can any of those enclosures be bus powered?

Edited by woodnotes at 15:43:48 15-11-2017
  • MrFlay 15 Nov 2017 15:48:12 3,626 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm going to get one tomorrow. I'm trading in my Xbox One for €120 and it's payday. I've been dithering for a few days but I've spent almost as much on headphones before so it's not that much if I use it regularly.

Will I need to sign into Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube etc on the One X if I transfer my settings?
  • VanillaLake 15 Nov 2017 15:53:16 551 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Malek86 Just to be sure, I just played a bit on both consoles and performance is much better on X. On the original console even the first race is already showing a lot of judder and low framerate that are ironed out on X. I still wouldn't consider it as smooth as other racing games I play, though, especially if you have tried Forza 7. Anyway, if you play Hydro Thunder Hurricane is much more enjoyable on X. I hope that this helps.
  • Technoishmatt 15 Nov 2017 15:59:28 2,134 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @MrFlay for some video apps I needed to sign in again, others I did not.
  • Mrsyms 15 Nov 2017 16:03:16 178 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @woodnotes i just use a 3tb seagate drive. Never had any problems or noticed any issues. It might not be the best but its perfectly fine for me. Its Ł84 on Amazon Prime, or it was when i purchased it
  • VanillaLake 15 Nov 2017 16:11:40 551 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @woodnotes I got a small-type Seagate 4TB external HDD. Small, huge capacity and short loading times. RPM are not really important anymore according to a few articles I've read. Only solid state drives, and not all of the solid state hybrid drives, would make a difference. I assume that in-game micro-loading times like when the game is loading a new part of the map is the most appreciated bonus but the expense difference is so big or the storage capacity is much smaller.

Loading times are much shorter on X compared to Xbox One already, even using a standard external drive like mine.

Another option (one that I have considered) is to buy a 256GB USB flash drive and copy the games that you are currently playing to it. Has anyone tried that?
  • woodnotes 15 Nov 2017 16:15:06 4,967 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thanks for your tips. I've just found the WD 4TB My Passport drive on Currys for only Ł99.99! So that looks like a winner. Will pick it up in the morning :)
  • Baihu1983 15 Nov 2017 16:18:48 9,452 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Download the insects demo. Great little tech piece to show off 4K
  • Technoishmatt 15 Nov 2017 18:54:06 2,134 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Probably measured it on day 1 when it was doing all the updating?
    Nope, they had it at 36W without downloads (over 50W with downloads).
  • Ror 16 Nov 2017 00:00:48 16,736 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One X patch for ReCore coming tomorrow. All it says is 1440p resolution. I'm surprised it's so (relatively!) low, to be honest, but glad it's getting an update, and it'll still look much better than 900p.
  • pelican_ 16 Nov 2017 00:11:32 194 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Ror wrote:
    One X patch for ReCore coming tomorrow. All it says is 1440p resolution. I'm surprised it's so (relatively!) low, to be honest, but glad it's getting an update, and it'll still look much better than 900p.
    This is good news. I really need to revisit Recore and finish it.
  • Page

of 163 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.