Gran Turismo Sport Page 9

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 11 Oct 2017 14:37:30 31,396 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    bighairybear65 wrote:
    Do we really want to start with a tiny Fiat Punto and move on up to an f1 car.. all over again? As we did in GT 1,2,3,4,5 and 6?
    Do we collectively want it? No, I never claimed to speak for anyone else. Do I personally want it? Absolutely 100% yes :) That is the game I personally want. I appreciate that's not for everyone, just as much as I'm sure you can appreciate Sport isn't for me.
  • dsmx 11 Oct 2017 18:14:42 8,170 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There is an attraction to taking an everyday car you can afford yourself and have parked on your driveway and turning it into a supercar thrashing monster.

That said I've played the demo I was sceptical about the pretty much online only aim they are going for with the game but so long as the servers don't collapse at launch they've got a brilliant game here.

Edited by dsmx at 18:16:01 11-10-2017
  • Bionic_Pixel 11 Oct 2017 18:27:04 72 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Iíve spent some more time with GT Sport. Yes the graphics are good. The fact remains, Iím not into online racing, and if Iím really honest, it lacks many of the cars and tracks I like.

GT4, GT5 and GT6 were all day one purchases. GT5 has Ferrari F1 cars and the Top Gear track. GT6 I could drive on the moon. There was the Goodwood Festival of Speed, and the Ayrton Senna tribute. GT Sport appears to be made up of a handful of cars, some of which are variations of the same car, the Ferrari Italia of which there are 3 models + one other Ferrari, non of the classsics. If Iím brutally honest, Iím not keen on wacko concept cars or fat BMWís or Mercedes covered in sponsorship.

Iíd like to see Gran Turismo Super-car featuring lots of Ďdifferentí Ferrariís, Lamborghiniís etc and real world locations such as Monaco.

I might pick up GT Sport when the price crashes. For the moment, itís not the day one game I thought it would be.
  • scoobysi 11 Oct 2017 19:41:20 1,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iím pretty sure Goodwood and Senna tribute were all patched into GT6 and it was pretty bare bones to start with. At least they tend to provide a fair bit of free content post release.

Edited by scoobysi at 19:41:40 11-10-2017
  • cheese101 11 Oct 2017 21:09:35 700 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Iím buying it. It plays well and looks lovely. Why the fuck should I pay full price for project cars 2 when itís a broken mess?

Do I walk in to DFS and buy a bed which is smashed to pieces? No.

Why the fuck should I buy a broken game then?

Edited by cheese101 at 21:11:05 11-10-2017
  • mothercruncher 11 Oct 2017 21:52:43 13,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You fucking shouldnít buy one. And you should punch DFS right the fuck on the fucking nose too theyíre treating you like a fucking mug mate, FUCK.
  • Nitrous 11 Oct 2017 23:05:23 1,506 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nowthenfella wrote:
    Sure it looks and plays nice but the lack of features is disturbing. No dynamic weather, no time of day changing with the race, no options to configure the hud, three ai difficulty options, badly thought out menus, a series of challenges masquerading as a career mode.

I have heard the the driver reputation system penalises you if another car hits you online, not sure how true this is. If true then people are going to get sick of it pretty quick. It just seems like they are chasing the esport market and sod anyone else.
    I agree with the points you made in regards to content but I'm hoping some stuff might get added. As for the driver rep it should only penalises you if you are the person to cause a crash. I like the system as it provided some clean races and it separates people based on the rating so those who stay clean and drive well get grouped together and the dirty racers stay together too.

Oh and the rally stage is awful. It feels like I'm driving on snow and always has been with GT for whatever reason. They should leave it out and replace with a track... Laguna maybe?
  • AaronTurner 11 Oct 2017 23:12:25 9,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Playing with a controller is mental, snap oversteer everywhere.
  • McGeeza 12 Oct 2017 00:43:38 1,816 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Had some great races tonight ending with a 30 lap race of the oval with 10x tyre wear and fuel. Cemented my preorder with Simply. Will be up for a regular race night. Sorry again Scooby!
  • bighairybear65 12 Oct 2017 00:46:03 179 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Been playing more tonite, I'm going take take it for what it is, a very good online racer, it's going to get a lot of dev support and will have a mahooosive player base.
    Sold.
    I'm pretty sure GT7 will come along eventually for single player content, so this will do for now.
    Funny was driving home thinking about racing games in general, trying to picture the perfect game... has this gen had one yet?
    I mean we've had the perfect platformer, adventure, first person shooter etc over the years but racer? Don't think has been one.. PCars was tbh boring (can't put my finger on why..) and drove like crap on console, Dirt comes close but it's a bit marmite (I love it but it's bloody hard!) Driveclub is great but absolute shocking AI nutty drivers almost ruin the experience... fantastic single player campaign tho.
    Forza maybe? It's prob nearest all in one racing game that everyone seemed happy with, but as I said before where do they go next? It's almost the FIFA of racers, same game new clothes..
    Any thoughts on the direction you'd like to see the Racing genre go next?
    Maybe it's time for Codies to reboot Grid? 🤔
  • SYS64738 12 Oct 2017 08:14:33 4,510 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's a good question actually. For me personally, from a pure driving/racing point of view, that'd be Assetto Corsa (PC). Combined with a wheel and a decent group of online players it's sublime.

Still has issues though (poor UI, lack of weather and day/night cycle, certain race rules not implemented) but absolutely nails it where it matters, i.e. driving physics and wheel to wheel racing.

Personally didn't get on with Dirt Rally, uninstalled it recently. Felt more like work than fun to me but realise I'm in a minority there.

PCars 2 maybe once they sort out the bugs.

Forza games feel too arcadey to me (as games they're good though), while Gran Turismo has always been a good driving sim, as a racer (at least until Sport it seems) it didn't really work.

Haven't played F1 2017 but from what I hear the racing experience is pretty good. Have been burned with Codies games (especially of the F1 kind) too many times though, so shying away from getting it, plus my interest in F1 in general is almost non-existent, despite having been a fan since the early 1990s.
  • SYS64738 12 Oct 2017 08:23:18 4,510 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's kinda weird posting in this thread. Don't own a PS4 and don't plan to - a new GT in the past for me was reason enough to buy the console, but with such strong competition elsewhere now, can't justify it.

Still hold the series close to heart though (bought every single game previous game, including the PSP version, apart from Prologue), so curious how it'll develop over time - seems though they haven't really changed anything radically enough to tempt me.
  • quokka 12 Oct 2017 09:32:01 145 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    F1 2017 is fantastic so Iíd love to see codemasters go back to Grid as Iím not a fan of Dirt or off-road racing in general. I wasnít thinking about racing games in general, but specific to F1 2017 I was struggling to think how you could make a better F1 game.

Project Cars 2 threatens greatness if it didnít play like crap and wasnít horribly broken. The feature list is great on paper and the track list is incredible, as is the changeable weather and time (graphically at least, the effect of snow on grip seemed way too minimal)

GT Sport is wonderful though. I could have done that kart race over and over and over again last night. I donít need millions of cars and tracks to get many hours of enjoyment out of it. The handling is just the right balance of feeling real and still being completely controllable. PC2 is uncontrollable and Forza 7 doesnít feel real.

I hope we donít have to wait too long for a proper GT7 though. I want a CarPG in the classing GT mould where I can slowly work my way up by upgrading everyday road cars. Forza 7 fails at that and GT Sport doesnít try, and no other game has ever really had it.

I should probably try Assetto Corsa. Its never interested me in the way GT Sport didnít really interest me because of the lack of a career mode until the demo proved an online only game can work if the driving is good enough.
  • SYS64738 12 Oct 2017 09:41:44 4,510 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quokka wrote:

GT Sport is wonderful though. I could have done that kart race over and over and over again last night. I donít need millions of cars and tracks to get many hours of enjoyment out of it.
    This is what AC does it for me - it has less content compared to Forza/GT but what is there is absolutely fantastic (plus, the quality of some of the mods is amazing - I added quite a few tracks missing from the main game) - the handling in particular, but also the car models look great and laser scanned tracks feel like you're actually driving down a road, in a car - the FFB in the game just feels right and it gives me vital clues in terms of what the car is doing. Not perfect for some maybe, but no game is.

Even hotlapping (the game does get called hot lap sim a lot, which is unfair IMO - the AI is actually pretty decent these days) with one car/track combination just does not get old, even after dozens of laps.

I tried to learn how to drift properly recently - with some Chris Harris videos on YT and a couple hours in AC on the drift track eventually it 'clicked'. So, so satisfying.

Been venturing online only very recently and maybe I was lucky, but the other drivers bar one or two (which got kicked swiftly enough) were very clean, on a lag free server it does feel like proper racing. I was giddy as a kid for the first time in ages, even though I only finished 13th out of 24.

Now, this is all on PC - seen some videos on consoles and the game does look rather ropey on those, although the menus are much improved.

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread but AC has replaced GT as my go-to place in terms of driving/racing. Makes me a bit sad as a long term GT fanboy but the competition doesn't sleep.

Edited by SYS64738 at 09:46:00 12-10-2017
  • nowthenfella 12 Oct 2017 10:12:15 54 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Despite all the flaws mentioned about GT Sport, Forza etc it's a damn good time to be a racing/driving game fan!

The racing in F1 2017 is second to none if anyone is sitting on the fence about it. Downforce for days in those cars :)
  • euromepp 12 Oct 2017 10:15:21 3 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    A lot of talking about no career in GT Sport but I have to say I had an absolute blast yesterday doing the mission races. Especially stage 6 race 2 and 8 great full with pit stops and close racing. Some serious rubber banding going on tho 1 minute I'd have a 3-second lead only for it to disappear in 1 corner.

Edited by euromepp at 10:20:42 12-10-2017
  • AboutHalfaStevas 12 Oct 2017 10:41:39 303 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Perhaps because I actually have experience of driving a car into a wall, my main takeaway from this demo was collisions still haven't improved on PS1 Ridge Racer.
  • voden 12 Oct 2017 11:02:01 371 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I agree with the complaints about no career mode, really wish there was one. Whats there though is superb. The handling is brilliant and the sport events are so good when people respect the SR. It's a proper racing sim when it works, unfortunately you do get the ocasional idiot using you as a brake.
  • scoobysi 12 Oct 2017 12:50:33 1,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think it misses a sense of progression online at the moment. For instance if I qualified 1st I presume that is only in the group of people I was pooled with, could be the top group or the bottom group? It would be great if there was some sort of league system with promotion/demotion, a bit like what they do with FIFA.

Are there any Leadboards buried away somewhere that track all your car/track times e.g. once the Daily events disappear I can't find the times I set anywhere?

Also anyway to check which assists, controllers etc. people are using like you could in previous games?

Edited by scoobysi at 12:51:36 12-10-2017
  • LOLLERS 12 Oct 2017 13:27:25 76 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @scoobysi Yeah I was looking last night for anything like this, the only leaderboard I could find was a top 10 for each event, which isn't particularly useful unless you're in the top 10, other than for giving you a target time. Also you can see there's clearly some cheating going on as the top 2 or 3 on there are always impossible times.

I quite liked the online racing - the ghosting is weird but it does make for cleaner and closer, less frustrating races against randoms. Still a long way off iRacing in terms of infrastructure though, I was hoping it would have much more in the way of leagues, leaderboards, competitions etc. especially with the GT Academy and links to the FIA but there's very little evidence of any of that...yet?

Edited by LOLLERS at 13:27:35 12-10-2017
  • scoobysi 12 Oct 2017 13:35:55 1,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @LOLLERS yes I noticed the naff times, they need to sort that out pronto.
  • jimmac 12 Oct 2017 15:13:30 302 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Been trying to have a go in the demo but every time I try to get to the options screen it crashed with the

CE-38700-8

error code. I've googled and a few others have had the same issue. A couple said to do some arcade races then it worked. I've done four arcade races now and it still crashes. Drivin gwith the pad is killing me. Anyone found a definitive fix?

Ta :(
  • AboutHalfaStevas 12 Oct 2017 15:27:52 303 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hasn't this finished now? I thought it was done by 2pm.
  • JYM60 12 Oct 2017 15:34:06 17,460 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was fucked for me too. Did qualifying and practice, then when it came to the race it wouldn't load and the game took a shit!
  • seasidebaz 12 Oct 2017 19:41:01 7,478 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Profile loading works tonight :)

On another note I really have enjoyed my time with the demo. Itís brought me back on board with GT - I defected to forza back with the original as I felt forza handled the way you expect a car to handle but GT handled the way the cars actually handle in the real world. Forza was just a bit more fun. Plus, GT took fooking ages to implement things like lockup.
  • Wonderboyf60 12 Oct 2017 20:56:32 51 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Content lacking or not this game plays phenomenal on pad and wheel. Jumping back to PC2 also makes you realise how impressive the graphics are. Iím sure it will be improved and updated over time, very much looking forward to getting my hands on the full game!
  • mothercruncher 12 Oct 2017 21:51:51 13,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Iím definitely getting it now. It nails the old school just-one-more-lap-itíll-be-perfect-this-time thing that hooked me in PlayStation/ Playstation 2 GTís. Have been too lazy to get the wheel out so far but thatís partly because the pad control feels so nailed on.

Iím finding the online penalty system a touch imperfect though. Cars blinking back into existence directly in front of you or being pinballed into other cars via a first corner twat, both penalising me. But itís generally workable.

Not day one though, I dunno, Iíve lost the appetite to pre-order or pay full price these days.
  • AaronTurner 12 Oct 2017 21:55:03 9,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, just tried an online race... Very enjoyable! Came third even with my crappy joypad skills. My safety record took a pounding though. I. Fact everyone apart from the race winner seemed to take a pounding on safety.
  • DanB24 12 Oct 2017 23:11:32 5,346 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    bighairybear65 wrote:
    Do we really want to start with a tiny Fiat Punto and move on up to an f1 car.. all over again? As we did in GT 1,2,3,4,5 and 6?
    Do we collectively want it? No, I never claimed to speak for anyone else. Do I personally want it? Absolutely 100% yes :) That is the game I personally want. I appreciate that's not for everyone, just as much as I'm sure you can appreciate Sport isn't for me.
    I would be surprised and disappointed if we don't get this back in Gran Turismo 7.
  • jimmac 12 Oct 2017 23:19:12 302 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's working now, no more errors. Not sure what fixed it. I did do a time trial?

Cars drive pretty well but the force feedback feels worse than the previous demo somehow.

I wasn't going to get this but I can feel my resistance fading. Qualified for a couple of races so will give that a go tomorrow.
  • Page

of 21 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.