Gran Turismo Sport Page 8

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• Malek86 11 Oct 2017 05:49:22 6,096 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What bothers me about the photo mode is how limiting it feels. There's no comparison to the 3D locations from before, those let you take any photo from any position. Now you are limited to a few predefined backdrops.

I don't know if they were running out of money (no way, they probably have a blank check from Sony) or time (more likely), but either way, it's definitely a step back.
  • arty 11 Oct 2017 08:11:06 250 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's quite impressive technically though, compositing a 3d model into a photo and getting the lighting to match so well. You can place more than one car and the pan is pretty clever too.
  • Bionic_Pixel 11 Oct 2017 08:33:34 72 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I’m assuming with Photo-mode they wanted to blur the line by merging fantastically realised 3D models with photographs of real world locations. While this offers limitations as to where a car can be positioned, they have had their work cut out adding the required lighting to achieve the desired results.

• Bionic_Pixel 11 Oct 2017 08:37:30 72 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I'm somewhat undecided as to what to make of the inclusion of info into a racing game that includes:

:D
  • Malek86 11 Oct 2017 08:59:44 6,096 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Bionic_Pixel did you get that photo straight from the PS4, or did you resize it yourself? I'm surprised that it's 1600x900. I thought it would be 1920x1080.

As for the lighting, it doesn't sound all that difficult. After all, I'm assuming that the cars are being placed in an empty, invisible room. Using those rooms, you would just have to put your light sources where the lights in the photos should be.

Certainly less work than remaking the entire location in 3D, that's for sure. But it's still disappointing, because PS4-powered photo locations from Polyphony was something I really wanted to see.

Edited by Malek86 at 09:00:49 11-10-2017
  • solidsneek 11 Oct 2017 09:10:47 372 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    What are the thoughts on this always been a big Forza fan especially Horizon's.

I loved the old Gran Turismo from about 10 years ago just wondered if there's hype or hate for the game?

Edited by solidsneek at 09:11:31 11-10-2017
  • McGeeza 11 Oct 2017 09:18:41 1,816 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Bionic_Pixel It's not that difficult to be honest. HDRI has been available in 3D packages for years. They'll use a 360 version of the background photo on a dome light. Same principle as the movies, when you see a dude holding a mirrorball on a stick, on the behind the scenes stuff.
  • solidsneek 11 Oct 2017 09:19:40 372 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The only thing I think putting me off with GTSPORT is I like to modify and customize 'normal' cars (Vauxhall, Ford etc) and make them as quick or efficient as I can.
  • solidsneek 11 Oct 2017 09:19:41 372 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The only thing I think putting me off with GTSPORT is I like to modify and customize 'normal' cars (Vauxhall, Ford etc) and make them as quick or efficient as I can.
  • [maven] 11 Oct 2017 09:51:09 5,528 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I tried GT Sport out with my new force-feedback wheel, and it's good fun as usual. The wheel (Thrustmaster T300 GT) is not as big of a step up from my trusty Logitech Driving Force Pro (from the good old PS2-era) as I'd been led to believe by reviews. It's a good enough unit, but didn't really feel noticeably better with all its fancy BELT DRIVE SYSTEM, HALL SENSORS, BRUSHLESS MOTOR, or whatever fancy words they put on the spec sheet. The fan in the new one is a bit annoying (but you only hear it in the menus when there's no car sound), and the desk clamping solution is decidedly worse than Logitech's.

So if you're looking at a wheel, I'd go for Logitech G29 unless there's something superior about the Thrustmaster that I missed. It's cheaper too.

I do really enjoy all the license tests, challenges, and course lessons!
  • monkman76 11 Oct 2017 10:06:27 11,669 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Try the T300 on Assetto Corsa or Dirt Rally, for example. I found it considerably better than the G29 on both those games.

Also get one of these, they're ace: http://wheelstandpro.com/
  • cowell 11 Oct 2017 10:56:10 1,317 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've enjoyed the time I've had with the demo. However for the most part, I'll want to play vs AI. It seems like the amount of racing options is quite limited - mainly to quick race type stuff. Is that correct?
  • seasidebaz 11 Oct 2017 10:57:36 7,478 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played a bit of this last night and every time I try and access my profile to get my rewards the game crashes out. This happening to anyone else?
  • Weebleboy 11 Oct 2017 11:02:39 389 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    seasidebaz wrote:
    Played a bit of this last night and every time I try and access my profile to get my rewards the game crashes out. This happening to anyone else?
    Yup, very crashy for me. Dies if I go into the Options on the main menu. Dies when I try and redeem a reward on the main menu too.
  • nowthenfella 11 Oct 2017 11:20:58 54 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @cowell It basically has the same setup as the psp version so you are very limited. The apologists will say it's because it's online focussed but to be honest after the time it has taken to make it the lack of features is pretty embarrassing to be honest imho it might be worth it in a years time if they add stuff to it
  • mothercruncher 11 Oct 2017 11:24:58 13,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This has charmed me, despite not really caring about the last couple of GT games.
    It feels like a modern racing game, yet somehow has that great Gran Turismo feeling from its heyday. And the sound, fab. The engines wailing and the tortured gears moaning makes me feel fuzzy in my special place.
  • Bionic_Pixel 11 Oct 2017 11:31:17 72 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    @Bionic_Pixel did you get that photo straight from the PS4, or did you resize it yourself? I'm surprised that it's 1600x900. I thought it would be 1920x1080.

As for the lighting, it doesn't sound all that difficult. After all, I'm assuming that the cars are being placed in an empty, invisible room. Using those rooms, you would just have to put your light sources where the lights in the photos should be.

Certainly less work than remaking the entire location in 3D, that's for sure. But it's still disappointing, because PS4-powered photo locations from Polyphony was something I really wanted to see.
    The image is a snapshot rather than a saved render.

Having viewed the location in question via Google street view, the chain of white lights were possibly added by the Gran Turismo artists, which in turn would provide the absolute perfect light source to reflections on the car. Or the lights may have been taken down since the photo was taken ;D
  • bighairybear65 11 Oct 2017 12:02:52 179 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Had a couple race last nite, very enjoyable 24 cars on track and hardly any carnage which is good!
    Very addictive (the online racing) love the qualifying and real buzz leading up to the race as opposed to the dread of first corner in most other online racing games, really feel in control and had some nice position jostles (at the back!) smooth network too..
    In fact good or bad, it's everything Driveclub isn't.. 18th looming up do I shell out 50 notes for a small online racing game or stick to my beloved Driveclub?

Decisions.. do love it but not much there eh? 🤔
  • Ron_Justice 11 Oct 2017 12:19:24 3,104 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    solidsneek wrote:
    I'm exactly the same. I want to drive in the Clubman cup in my crappy 00's Honda to eek out a couple of thousand credits per series, so l can gradually build a steadily improving car that can then just about handle the next championship. This championship will then return slightly larger returns so l can repeat the process on a slightly less crappy 00's Toyota... Repeat until I'm hooning around Trial Mountain in a race modified NSX against 23 other players in equally mad motors.
  • scoobysi 11 Oct 2017 13:02:23 1,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know where people are coming from but I'm so glad they've moved GT away from that, 6 iterations plus prologues was enough for me.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 11 Oct 2017 13:12:20 31,396 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Making normal cars into hypercars is what Gran Turismo is all about for me. Without that, it isn't my Gran Turismo at all. Though to be fair, I'm not really enjoying the beta much anyway. The focus is very much on the stuff I'm not fussy about. Don't get me wrong, I think it really needed a new focus to keep fans of the series on board so I understand why it's the way it is, but it's not for me.
  • arty 11 Oct 2017 13:22:41 250 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Here's a 4K one I knocked up in a few mins.

• monkman76 11 Oct 2017 13:31:35 11,669 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This photo mode stuff seems so pointless, is it just me? What do you do with these images?
  • arty 11 Oct 2017 13:35:46 250 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's pointless.
  • nowthenfella 11 Oct 2017 13:42:52 54 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I downloaded the demo and just don't understand all the gushing praise this is getting.

Sure it looks and plays nice but the lack of features is disturbing. No dynamic weather, no time of day changing with the race, no options to configure the hud, three ai difficulty options, badly thought out menus, a series of challenges masquerading as a career mode. If it wasn't gran turismo it would be taking an absolute kicking.

I have heard the the driver reputation system penalises you if another car hits you online, not sure how true this is. If true then people are going to get sick of it pretty quick. It just seems like they are chasing the esport market and sod anyone else.

Online focussed it may be but it just feels like it's been left behind by other games. Anyway, grumble over. I deleted the demo after I kept getting errors trying to connect to an online race. Hopefully they will forget about making the next game and just keep adding to this until it is gran turismo 7.
  • arty 11 Oct 2017 13:45:51 250 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What gushing praise? Most here are saying it's not all that great really.
  • nowthenfella 11 Oct 2017 13:56:57 54 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well maybe not gushing praise but it feels like there is a lot of positivity around.
  • bighairybear65 11 Oct 2017 13:57:53 179 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Making normal cars into hypercars is what Gran Turismo is all about for me. Without that, it isn't my Gran Turismo at all. Though to be fair, I'm not really enjoying the beta much anyway. The focus is very much on the stuff I'm not fussy about. Don't get me wrong, I think it really needed a new focus to keep fans of the series on board so I understand why it's the way it is, but it's not for me.
    But don't you think the racing genre has moved on?
    Do we really want to start with a tiny Fiat Punto and move on up to an f1 car.. all over again? As we did in GT 1,2,3,4,5 and 6?

Not saying GT Sport has got it right but the thought of a new prettier version of the same game we've all played six times isn't (to me at least) that exciting..
    Look at the general apathy towards Forza 7.. same game, nicer looks etc.
    Anyhoo will see, I still haven't made my mind up, love the idea of the online racing, but do realise there should be more...
    Driveclub, now there's a game that got the balance right! (There I go again ;).... )
  • nowthenfella 11 Oct 2017 14:16:38 54 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the best thing they could do is keep adding features and game modes as they go on to this and make it a more complete experience. Bit cheeky asking full price for what is there though.
  • monkman76 11 Oct 2017 14:36:19 11,669 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I agree, it feels like it should be around Ł35-40. In fact I assumed it was until very recently. I still may get it if the VR mode turns out to be good though.
  • Page

of 21 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.