Nioh Page 3

• Page

of 154 First / Last

• grassyknoll 23 Aug 2016 17:23:01 620 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Very very disappointed by the new demo, Ki Pulse dodge has been fundamentally altered, changing the whole game. Still good, but now basically a Dark Soul's clone, they've stripped everything unique out.

Edited by grassyknoll at 17:23:16 23-08-2016
  • Malek86 23 Aug 2016 17:29:05 6,106 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's been so long that I don't really remember how the alpha was like. I do remember I played that one more though. Combat was, at least iirc, a bit more satisfying.

Suppose I don't need to keep an eye out for this anymore. I'm playing through SOTFS now, and I'll have to pick up DS3 eventually, so it's not like I don't have a backlog already.
  • grassyknoll 23 Aug 2016 17:45:45 620 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They've toned down the aggressive of enemies, changed the lock on (which was perfect before) & made Ki Pulse dodge a high stance characteristic instead of low stance one. Basically threw everything decent out. Really wish they just released it as it was without the survey, it's just ruined it.
  • xero521 24 Aug 2016 00:10:27 449 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    First time I've played it and enjoyed it very dark souls like. Can't wait get into it a bit more.
  • grassyknoll 24 Aug 2016 01:05:48 620 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Played for a couple of hours more, both bosses were absolutely fantastic & require the Ki Pulse mechanic, so that's a big plus. There's also a Twilight mode after getting the Mark of the Strong, enemies are incredibly aggressive. Both things make me far more optimistic for the final game. Put Ki Pulse dodge on the low stance & having the option of the old lock on would make the game high perfect for me.
  • Malek86 24 Aug 2016 10:47:48 6,106 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm seeing a lot of people who think the beta is a vast improvement over the alpha.

Aside from personal preferences, if overall reception is this much better, then maybe Tecmo did the right changes.
  • grassyknoll 25 Aug 2016 08:19:21 620 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Malek86 Honestly, it's a very strong game, but they've crippled their own design with a few of the changes. I honestly hope they just make to difficulties settings: Alpha & Beta.
  • SomaticSense 25 Aug 2016 10:52:09 15,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm on the other side of the coin tbh.

I sensed the potential with the Alpha, but I wasn't a fan at all of some of the design decisions. For me I'm enjoying the Beta far, far more. Before it was a 'wait to see how it develops before I get too hyped', but now it's a day one buy.

Everything feels more polished and playable across the board. The lock-on system is a gargantuan improvement and far more intuitive in the way Not Geralt controls during, and the weapon durability is nowhere near as much of a pain. I think they went just a little too far when toning down the difficulty mind, especially at the start.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 25 Aug 2016 11:17:13 10,314 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah same here. I barely played the alpha but it felt way too abstruse and clunky. Playing the beta has actually got me interested in the game.
  • Bulbatron 26 Aug 2016 07:56:39 932 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I beat the first of those large demon things on my first try during the Alpha, although it was by the skin of my teeth. This time round, on the Beta, I just cannot seem to kill him before he minces me! I wish I knew what I was doing wrong - maybe I'm not levelled enough this time? I'm Level 8.
  • grassyknoll 26 Aug 2016 08:10:28 620 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    I'm on the other side of the coin tbh.

I sensed the potential with the Alpha, but I wasn't a fan at all of some of the design decisions. For me I'm enjoying the Beta far, far more. Before it was a 'wait to see how it develops before I get too hyped', but now it's a day one buy.

Everything feels more polished and playable across the board. The lock-on system is a gargantuan improvement and far more intuitive in the way Not Geralt controls during, and the weapon durability is nowhere near as much of a pain. I think they went just a little too far when toning down the difficulty mind, especially at the start.
    Got into it quite a lot and still love it, but without the old camera & low stance dodge pulse some encounters are just plain impossible without using the Guardian Spirit (specifically the last round of the glass field Twilight mission), I'd would say they've made it more janky as the new options take away control from the player. Still great because it feels so good, but by taking away Ki dodge pulse, they need a poise like system to take it's place as it's fundamentally broken as it is.

This is what you could do on the alpha:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q0_D0nykqk

This is the opposite of jank.
  • grassyknoll 26 Aug 2016 08:13:00 620 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Bulbatron My advice is don't get greedy with combos & use a couple of hits and dart in and out, do you mean the guy defending the boss key?
  • Malek86 27 Aug 2016 09:29:08 6,106 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I managed to finish the beta, at least the Oni boss mission. Still don't like it all that much. If all bosses will take that long to kill, then it's just like Lords of the Fallen.

Stages are also way too long, and getting spotted by more than one not-weak enemy can force you to run away all the way back to the shrine.
  • Bulbatron 27 Aug 2016 21:15:32 932 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @grassyknoll Yeah, I think that's the chap I'm talking about. I managed to defeat him in the end. Here's how it went.

https://youtu.be/clgEBs1VqLI

As you can see, it was rather a mess. I pretty much just panicked and used everything I could against him that allowed me to minimise the time spent fighting him directly. How I'm going to deal with the one on the roof later on, I don't know, and that's before even thinking about any of the bosses!

Hmm, I really like the game, actually, but I think perhaps it might be a bit out of my league.

Edited by Bulbatron at 21:17:45 27-08-2016

Edited by Bulbatron at 21:18:38 27-08-2016
  • Das_Plok 27 Aug 2016 23:30:41 104 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Bulbatron The one on the roof isn't too bad because you can actually get it to throw itself off with some trickery.

There is another optional one to fight later on that is much much worse. You'll know what I'm talking about when you find it :)
  • 1Dgaf 28 Aug 2016 00:10:34 4,908 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I tried the beta of this earlier. Played for an hour and didn't make it out of the fishing village.
  • Bulbatron 29 Aug 2016 19:34:47 932 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, I think I've given it my all. Can't get past the first boss. Tried using talismans, my guardian spirit, gunpowder, summoning help and everrything else. Much like Bloodborne, I really enjoy the exploration but I come apart in boss battles. This looks to be a really good game, but I think it might be a bit beyond me.
  • Tuffty 29 Aug 2016 19:47:07 3,991 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Managed to defeat the beta's new boss. Less difficult than the Alpha's bosses for sure, I hope that's a sign that they lowered the health as they took forever to kill in the alpha. Will have to play it again to see if the first boss is any easier now.
  • 1Dgaf 30 Aug 2016 23:12:48 4,908 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played it for the fourth time today. Got further than I had before, looping up and around the map and down to the starting shrine by the beach.

Still confused about all the items and mechanics, but enjoying the fighting. I think I'm going to play Lords of the Fallen when the beta ends. I fancy continuing that sort of game, but I've found the Souls series too difficult.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 23:16:15 30-08-2016
  • grassyknoll 31 Aug 2016 09:34:09 620 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Bulbatron My big tip for you would be to hang around a shrine and just practice when to dodge, combo, parry etc. I'd also attempt to level up different skills, I've seen a few people go magic only. The one problematic thing about this game is the tutorial just isn't enough and needs to guide players who need it.

PS. I'm away from my PS4 but I'll share a video of me against the first boss on Thursday evening, any weapons, techniques or specific items you would like me to use? (If you want to watch it of course!)

Edited by grassyknoll at 09:38:40 31-08-2016
  • SomaticSense 31 Aug 2016 11:56:18 15,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Played it for the fourth time today. Got further than I had before, looping up and around the map and down to the starting shrine by the beach.

Still confused about all the items and mechanics, but enjoying the fighting. I think I'm going to play Lords of the Fallen when the beta ends. I fancy continuing that sort of game, but I've found the Souls series too difficult.
    Perhaps you should give a Souls game another try.

Both the Alpha and this easier Beta are a lot harder than any Souls game I've played, and Lords of the Fallen tries for the same kind of difficulty but without really understanding it, leading to a more blunt and frustrating challenge.
  • Dombat 31 Aug 2016 13:49:12 1,137 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think it's a fallacy that Lords of the Fallen is a much easier game. Dark Souls is less accessible in its plot, lore and mechanics perhaps, but the LotF combat is clunky and less refined, especially with the very weak magic system. It means the combat is still difficult if you aren't experienced in this genre, especially when fighting the bosses with their high health pools.

I really question people that claim to find Dark Souls too difficult but got on with LotF. That implies to me they gave up on the Souls games too quickly.

(Edited for clarity)

Edited by Dombat at 22:31:04 31-08-2016
  • 1Dgaf 31 Aug 2016 16:58:23 4,908 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't like games that have bad spikes in difficulty, so I'll have to look into Lords of the Fallen a bit more to find out about it.

I have Demon's Souls PS3 and Dark Souls 2 on Xbox. Demon's Souls I got past the first boss and I think I made it over the long bridge with the dragon - and a bit beyond - once, maybe twice. But it got too difficult after that.

Dark Souls I made it to a forest, then up a ladder and into the ruins of a castle. From there to the side of the castle over looking the sea, near some giant crossbows or something. Died there a few times and never went back.

It's hard for me to remember anything about the games except the difficulty. Maybe what makes Nioh feel different is that with the three stances I feel like I've got options and decisions in one-on-one fights. It's more complicated and more to remember, but it feels a bit like I have the chance to out think an NPC rather than just outplay them.

Maybe.
  • Bulbatron 31 Aug 2016 18:30:39 932 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @grassyknoll I need to do some major farming to acquire some resources to help fight him with. Like an idiot, I just wasted all my best stuff on my first few attempts before I had really got any sort of strategy down, when of course, I should have used those first few attempts just to observe him. There's no way I'll be able to earn the new piece of DLC while the demo is still available, but it would be nice to get the first one at least, so I need to beat him by - Tuesday - I think it is.

All I've got is the default 3 elixirs and the water talisman for my weapons. As I said, I had loads of other stuff but blew it all in a frenzied panic on my first few goes. I've been mainly using dual swords on mid-stance, but I've heard that I should use a weapon like the axe or hammer on high stance against him. I'm using the shark spirit guardian. I think I'm level 14.

I'll gladly watch your video! I don't think I really have any preferences about what you use.
  • grassyknoll 31 Aug 2016 19:24:11 620 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Bulbatron I'll give it a go or could possibly attempt coop (not tried the online portion of the game).
  • Bulbatron 31 Aug 2016 20:12:01 932 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, used all my co-op items, too. All the stupid bastards I summoned just kept dying! I know I died too, but that's different because - well - because - that's all!

I have recently learned that I can get more by defeating revenants. I'll have to go and find a really low level one, defeat it and then feel really good about myself for - a few seconds...

Of course, it may also be that I'm not using all the game's systems to their fullest. I am trying to learn, though.

Edited by Bulbatron at 20:12:50 31-08-2016
  • Gregolution 31 Aug 2016 20:42:12 8,518 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well add me to the very excited about this crowd. This is the sort of clone I can appreciate. Some great new ideas and given ds3 is the last one, the existence of this is helping numb the pain
  • Gregolution 31 Aug 2016 21:51:04 8,518 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is this out in oct?on psn it weirdly says disc only.
  • Malek86 31 Aug 2016 21:55:26 6,106 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Dombat can't really explain it myself, but LotF has an inverse difficultty curve. It's pretty hard in the beginning, and I guess even moreso if you aren't used to the genre. But by the second half of the game, I was mowing down enemies with little trouble. Only the bosses were still annoying.

Then again, I never play as a magic user in Souls either, so I never had that problem.
  • Dombat 31 Aug 2016 22:36:21 1,137 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    @Dombat can't really explain it myself, but LotF has an inverse difficultty curve. It's pretty hard in the beginning, and I guess even moreso if you aren't used to the genre. But by the second half of the game, I was mowing down enemies with little trouble. Only the bosses were still annoying.

Then again, I never play as a magic user in Souls either, so I never had that problem.
    That's interesting to note. I abandoned LotF after a few bosses as I didn't enjoy the combat enough, particularly with the magic-focused build I started off with. I decided I'd rather put the energy into furthering my progress in Souls games instead, which feel more fair in their challenge.

Anyway, haven't had a chance to play Ni-Oh yet due to being away during the demo periods but I love the aesthetic and look forward to eventually trying it (and being terrible at it :-P).
  • Page

of 154 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.