Nioh Page 163

• Page

of 164 First / Last

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Jan 2018 10:58:09 2,433 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rajin wrote:
    @Rogueywon

I think innitially, the boss fights are great and relatively unique. The issue is that at one stage there are too many human bosses that feel stale after a while.

Are the bosses of the dlc's of high quality btw?
    Yeah, the first couple of bosses were decent and were a proper challenge. But once you get past that, the same few themes repeat over and over again in boss battles. This was a problem in Bloodborne as well, which re-used a couple of boss archetypes a bit too much, but Nioh takes it to new extremes. Most of the human bosses have very standardised toolset, usually with a fairly predictable Living Weapon ability they activate once you've knocked their health down a bit.
  • GarlVinland 5 Jan 2018 11:07:33 2,425 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rajin They're 80% human bosses. :) Generally I think they're excellent, but also 2 of the most difficult bosses in the whole game are DLC. The human bosses are a little more varied than the base game, I think. More interesting movesets. A couple are cheap as hell.
  • GarlVinland 5 Jan 2018 11:19:37 2,425 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @UncleLou I have an axe/odachi build, so as not to have to split the STR stat. Not really finding it fun to play. Being a tank in this game means, at higher levels, being able to take 1 or 2 more hits, but having to dish out a dozen more to compensate. At some point glass cannon becomes the only way to play, and being slow is hazardous.
  • UncleLou Moderator 5 Jan 2018 12:57:16 38,992 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @GarlVinland Hm, yeah - my PS4 built was basically a tank build, but with a katana - a ton of stamina so I could still move swiftly even with full heavy armour. I quite liked it actually, and it should make even more sense with the heavier weapons, I hope!

I like how I can already block enemies with the Odachi unitl they run out of Ki, but then I am the kind of gamer who usually hides behind/in a shield and plate armour. :)
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 5 Jan 2018 13:04:08 11,914 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A pair of underpants and a katana is all you need. And a raiden hat.
  • Zippity-zap 5 Jan 2018 22:50:22 244 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Katana, loincloth, and ponytail! Preach it, Decks!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Jan 2018 22:51:18 2,433 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Played a bit more tonight, in between frantically alt-tabbing to service the spare codes thread.

Finished up the Region 4 side missions. Enjoyed it a bit more. Might just have been feeling grumpy last night.
  • Duffking 6 Jan 2018 19:54:57 15,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not sure I get this game. Either I'm doing something horribly wrong, or I think I just hate it. It's like Dark Souls but without any fun, variety or interesting level design. It's frustrating for the sake of being frustrating. I just don't like it.

Maybe I've picked the wrong weapon type or something with the kusarigama. But fighting bigger stuff just seems like a total crapshoot because it feels completely random whether or not I'll actually cause an enemy to get staggered by my attacks, and even if I can tell that I've not been able to stagger them, half the time even after I've finished attacking my dodges simply don't come out.
  • Duffking 6 Jan 2018 19:54:58 15,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not sure I get this game. Either I'm doing something horribly wrong, or I think I just hate it. It's like Dark Souls but without any fun, variety or interesting level design. It's frustrating for the sake of being frustrating. I just don't like it.

Maybe I've picked the wrong weapon type or something with the kusarigama. But fighting bigger stuff just seems like a total crapshoot because it feels completely random whether or not I'll actually cause an enemy to get staggered by my attacks, and even if I can tell that I've not been able to stagger them, half the time even after I've finished attacking my dodges simply don't come out.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 6 Jan 2018 19:57:22 11,914 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You're doing something very wrong.
  • Duffking 6 Jan 2018 20:00:35 15,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok, I got her. Ugh that was frustrating.

Edited by Duffking at 20:19:51 06-01-2018
  • MadCaddy13 6 Jan 2018 22:22:56 2,736 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    Ok, I got her. Ugh that was frustrating.
    Was that the first proper boss?

FWIW, I found her by far the hardest boss and Iím just about done with Region 5 I believe
  • Duffking 6 Jan 2018 22:39:18 15,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Second, I think? First proper boss was the fiery guy in a boat. Reading up online it seems she's a bit of a difficulty spike, the electric beast thing I fought after was pretty easy.
  • nickthegun 6 Jan 2018 22:46:33 72,328 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think at that point it's basically luck on what you randomly specced. I killed her pretty easily but I had a weapon that hit for lightning and, iirc, at least a point in sloth, so she was in slomo for most of that fight.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Jan 2018 22:50:12 2,433 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @nickthegun You can't have sloth talismans for that fight on your first playthrough, it seems. Though a lightning weapon is definitely the way to go.

She's a huge difficulty spike and it took me a whole afternoon to get past her on my original PS4 playthrough. On my PC attempt-to-get-back-into-the-game (currently seeming successful), she died fairly easily, but she is definitely one of the nastiest bosses.

This game seems to front-load its nasty bosses. Once you get into the second half, it mostly seems to be fairly easy identikit human bosses, rather than the exotic monster types.
  • Duffking 6 Jan 2018 22:58:46 15,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been trying to play around with Flux and finding it a bit weird that you have to trigger a Ki Pulse and then Change stance. I get that kind of matches the wording but it's weird that just changing stance doesn't trigger it since I have to press RB as part of changing stance anyway.
  • nickthegun 6 Jan 2018 23:05:49 72,328 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I think you're right. Thinking about it, I may have just run around in circles and thrown a shuriken at her occasionally.

I must have hit her with sloth on the second appearance.

But, yeah, I didn't find her too hard. The warrior of the west was, really, the only thing that made me think 'fuck this game', to the point that it forces me to change how I was actually playing the fucking game. Everything else in the game was gravy compared to that bumhole.
  • nickthegun 6 Jan 2018 23:08:23 72,328 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I didn't change stance on the fly at all during the entire game, I don't think. Just didn't seem worth it.
  • Duffking 6 Jan 2018 23:20:32 15,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jeez, the boss after the lightning thing was even easier :/
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Jan 2018 23:23:09 2,433 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Duffking You've got one particularly nasty boss still to come and a couple who pack a punch. But in terms of bosses, you've done the worst now.

Some of the missions remain hard, but I'm two main missions from the end and I didn't really break a sweat on any boss after the second region.

Though maybe the last boss will be nasty.
  • MadCaddy13 6 Jan 2018 23:24:51 2,736 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yeah, I think you're right. Thinking about it, I may have just run around in circles and thrown a shuriken at her occasionally.

I must have hit her with sloth on the second appearance.

But, yeah, I didn't find her too hard. The warrior of the west was, really, the only thing that made me think 'fuck this game', to the point that it forces me to change how I was actually playing the fucking game. Everything else in the game was gravy compared to that bumhole.
    Yeh that was a big cheese fest for me, just ran around the stone poking him now and again with a long range kusarigama attack
  • Fonzie 6 Jan 2018 23:29:06 3,091 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I found it best to learn the skill that charges your ki pulse when you dodge. I never bothered changing stance while fighting unless by accident.
  • Duffking 7 Jan 2018 00:48:50 15,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I feel like I need to learn to stop looking at the Ki bar and more at the swirls/feel it out, I keep getting hit because I'm not looking at the enemy but the Ki refill portion.
  • fiery_jackass 7 Jan 2018 01:07:25 1,042 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    maybe it belongs in the "unpopuar gaming opinions" thread, but I find the combat depth of nioh hugely over-rated. A bunch of overlapping systems doesn't equal depth to me, it equals constantly reminding me I'm playing a video game. I'd far rather have NGB's sparser system where every set-piece was something to look forward to, and totally absorbing, rather than bait-attack-retreat every time.

of course, I might be playing it wrong.
  • shamblemonkee 7 Jan 2018 10:43:00 17,759 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
  • shamblemonkee 7 Jan 2018 10:43:53 17,759 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You get armor/dmg buffs from stanceandweapon dancing, even just kusarigama into odachi flux does huge damage
  • MadCaddy13 7 Jan 2018 19:14:24 2,736 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iíve come across a bit of a problem on this, Iím in region 6 but Iím finding the side missionís and main missionís levels are starting to surpass mine by a bit of a margin. Iím basically lvl 93 but my next mission is 103. Iíve done every single side mission I can but now Iím finding myself grinding a certain cash cow level over and over to catch up. Is this the norm? Never done a twilight mission as the levels never matched up with mine
  • RelaxedMikki 7 Jan 2018 19:35:26 2,349 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't worry. I completed the game on exactly level 100 (only did three or four side missions). Level 93 is easy enough for level 103 missions.

The level is more a guide to the level of the loot that you will pick up during the mission. The number of sword icons (1-5) is a better indication of difficulty.
  • GarlVinland 8 Jan 2018 17:50:28 2,425 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Fucking hate that guy. Basically the only boss I don't feel bad about cheesing with groundfire - final blows.

Hayabusa by comparison is an excellent boss. Supremely difficult, super fast and every inch the legendary ninja he should be. Izuna drop is the reward you deserve for beating him.
  • MadCaddy13 13 Jan 2018 18:03:34 2,736 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Need a bit of advice, after beating the boss to end the campaign (after credits roll) where to I go first? Way of the strong or way of the samurai?
  • Page

of 164 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.