Nioh Page 153

• Page

of 154 First / Last

• GarlVinland 4 Oct 2017 10:56:11 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Fonzie What level are you going into the Abyss at? I'm suddenly lacking confidence in my backstab build after tackling a few Way of the Demon missions and getting 2-shot by even basic enemies, and tickling them in return. I'm at level ~200 and my gear is ~165. Reckon it's worth trying the Abyss still or leave it till I get some higher level gear?

I wasn't expecting it from a game about lithe ninja but endgame builds seem to be built around tankiness in order to be viable. Definitely making it harder for myself by trying to stay at medium weight, losing the armour but only gaining a bit more damage in return.
  • Fonzie 6 Oct 2017 08:37:34 3,040 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    @Fonzie What level are you going into the Abyss at? I'm suddenly lacking confidence in my backstab build after tackling a few Way of the Demon missions and getting 2-shot by even basic enemies, and tickling them in return. I'm at level ~200 and my gear is ~165. Reckon it's worth trying the Abyss still or leave it till I get some higher level gear?

I wasn't expecting it from a game about lithe ninja but endgame builds seem to be built around tankiness in order to be viable. Definitely making it harder for myself by trying to stay at medium weight, losing the armour but only gaining a bit more damage in return.
    I'm at about level 245. I'm not a tank by any means, I've put no points into health and my damage dealt is good, but nowhere near that of some of the summons I've had help from. Just keep leveling up your armour and weapons as much as you can. It makes a big difference. My gear is between 175 and 180.

Edited by Fonzie at 08:38:10 06-10-2017
  • GarlVinland 6 Oct 2017 09:00:56 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh cool, cheers. Yeah, I went up a few levels doing co-op in WotD and immediately noticed a small difference in my damage. Still need to hit WotW ASAP though to start farming ethereals, it seems like they have some unique sets, Graces, that could be used to fill the gaps in my build.
  • Fonzie 6 Oct 2017 16:05:17 3,040 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    Oh cool, cheers. Yeah, I went up a few levels doing co-op in WotD and immediately noticed a small difference in my damage. Still need to hit WotW ASAP though to start farming ethereals, it seems like they have some unique sets, Graces, that could be used to fill the gaps in my build.
    I've still not got any ethereal stuff yet. I'm just going to rush through WotD so that WotW opens up. I'm sure I can do that this weekend. All the really hard hitters I encounter seem to be using the Kusarigama so my explore that avenue as well.
  • Rivuzu 6 Oct 2017 16:43:55 16,522 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is Water into Onmyo still the biggest damage dealer?
  • GarlVinland 6 Oct 2017 17:00:13 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Everyone seems to rock Living Weapon builds using the ethereal Grace sets. I put all my eggs in the backstab basket and it isn't the most efficient, being that human enemies can instantly block facing backwards, but it's fun and emphasizes movement.
  • GarlVinland 6 Oct 2017 17:02:14 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fonzie wrote:
    GarlVinland wrote:
    I've still not got any ethereal stuff yet. I'm just going to rush through WotD so that WotW opens up. I'm sure I can do that this weekend. All the really hard hitters I encounter seem to be using the Kusarigama so my explore that avenue as well.
    Same, gear seems to have capped out at ~165 for me. And endgame doesn't start until you get ethereals anyway.
  • Fonzie 6 Oct 2017 17:43:10 3,040 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well I've just got back from work so I'm going to try and smash through as much of WotD as I can. I will have ethereal gear this weekend.
  • GarlVinland 9 Oct 2017 10:56:19 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any luck with reaching WotW? I spent most of the weekend playing it, but avoiding trying to progress in WotD because of how frequently I've been getting one-shot in co-op.

Been experimenting with builds and am now trying to farm thrown weapon inheritable gloves to add kunai spam to my backstab build. It's...not going well. RNG is kicking my ass. I never realise how much this game resembles Diablo until you do a deep dive into the stats. If they cleaned up the systems and UI it would kind of be my perfect game.
  • Fonzie 9 Oct 2017 13:10:48 3,040 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    Any luck with reaching WotW? I spent most of the weekend playing it, but avoiding trying to progress in WotD because of how frequently I've been getting one-shot in co-op.

Been experimenting with builds and am now trying to farm thrown weapon inheritable gloves to add kunai spam to my backstab build. It's...not going well. RNG is kicking my ass. I never realise how much this game resembles Diablo until you do a deep dive into the stats. If they cleaned up the systems and UI it would kind of be my perfect game.
    I finally made it to WotW last night. Got a couple of ethereal bits but nothing to replace my carefully upgraded main weapon. The amrita you earn is massive compared to WotD but still not earning much money to spend on soul matching.
  • RelaxedMikki 9 Oct 2017 18:35:21 2,152 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have finally picked this up in the PSN sale.

Loving it so far. Just beat the first boss and opened up the map.

Was a bit lucky with the boss, I was out of heals and one hit away from death when I decided it was "death or glory" and activated the living weapon mode. 10 seconds of unco-ordinated wailing later he was down from 80% health to nothing. I finished with just a few mm of health bar to spare...
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Oct 2017 19:51:43 21,264 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @RelaxedMikki That is a fairly common procedure 😃 Good work.

Two pieces of advice going in, don't worry about Soul matching as it is really a late game system, just use whatever you pick up or craft. You can pretty mich disassemble/sell 90% of the loot in the game.

The side missions can be a little turgid later in the game so if you feel your patience dwindling then ignore them. This goes for the twilight missions too.

Best of luck, what is your character weapons?
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Oct 2017 19:52:36 21,264 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh and block can be OP, it is mich more useful in this than Spuls games.
  • RelaxedMikki 9 Oct 2017 21:08:10 2,152 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's good to know about 'Soul Matching' - the number of options at the blacksmiths can be quite bewildering.

I am going with dual katanas as a main and a single sword secondary. (None of yer fancy-dan kusariigama business for me😜;) Trying to keep my weight under the 70% cut off.
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Oct 2017 22:06:04 21,264 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @RelaxedMikki yeah, the blacksmith is overwhelming. Make sure you talk to the lady every once in a while btw. It can be worth soul matching a bit with a particularly good weapon but they soon get superseded.

Oh and there is a skill that allows Ki pulse with dodging, it is very useful indeed. Dual katanas is about the only weapons I haven't used much, dont have much advice.

Once you get a bit bolder you should try the lighter teir of armour as the extra speed is quite marked and it can be a more fun way. See how you go.
  • RelaxedMikki 9 Oct 2017 23:22:35 2,152 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, I have the dodge Ki skill. Really useful
    (though it doesn't seem to clear the demon ectoplasm like the standard R1 pulse?)

I am getting the real Dark Souls experience of romping through an area on the first attempt and then getting a mental block when retrying and repeatedly rushing into stupid deaths. It's great!

Dual wielding flaming katanas is frighteningly satisfying.
  • RelaxedMikki 9 Oct 2017 23:27:40 2,152 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I do want to drop to light armour soon.

I would probably be there already if it wasn't for the fact I have developed a bit of a sentimental attachment to a pair of 'heavy boots of really quick sprinting'...
  • Mr_Sleep 10 Oct 2017 07:51:57 21,264 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @RelaxedMikki it will clear it but the timing needs to be precise. Too early and it wont register.

It is a game of patience for sure, just like Souls.

The most satisfying weapon for me was the axe but it is a bit of a one trick pony.
  • GarlVinland 10 Oct 2017 09:22:09 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If there's a particular boss set you like the look of, you can usually farm their boss fight for all the pieces. I farmed Hanzo's set in his ninja dojo fight and it's a really good light set, with some fantastic bonuses if you go the ninjutsu route. The more pieces you wear, the more bonuses you unlock. That's probably a bit further along though.

I started a new build using tonfa and kusarigama. Really really strange weapons.
  • RelaxedMikki 12 Oct 2017 11:53:43 2,152 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am as far as the second boss now.

Nice and levelled up after clearing out the area below a few times and beating up some revenants.

I have ditched the armour I was using and gone for light weight archer pyjamas - the double dash is well worth it, I reckon.
  • GarlVinland 12 Oct 2017 12:00:33 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RelaxedMikki wrote:
    I am as far as the second boss now.
    Good luck. :)
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Oct 2017 12:11:50 21,264 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    For the second boss, ensure you equip the anti paralysis needles.

The real Nioh starts here 😃
  • Fonzie 12 Oct 2017 17:55:55 3,040 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    For the second boss, ensure you equip the anti paralysis needles.

The real Nioh starts here 😃
    She kicked my ass the first few times I fought her. She was too quick for me. Also I didn't have the anti paralysis needles equipped.

No trouble with her now. Must have fought her quite a few times over the course of getting to WotW.
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Oct 2017 18:13:23 21,264 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I find that sometimes she is a breeze and ocassionally she will put together a horrible string of instant death.
  • RelaxedMikki 12 Oct 2017 19:27:42 2,152 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have had a beer now, so I might give it a miss tonight.

You might say I am scared and am looking for excuses. You'd be right.
  • GarlVinland 13 Oct 2017 09:50:38 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My third character, probably 5th playthrough after reaching WotD with one character and WotStrong with another. Just downed Onryoki, and I'm still afraid to start the second level despite beating her dozens of times by now in coop. It's a serious mental block brought on by unbelievable trauma.

Seriously though, good luck! :) (it's generally plain sailing right after, give or take a couple of bumps on the road)

Edited by GarlVinland at 09:56:18 13-10-2017
  • RelaxedMikki 13 Oct 2017 14:36:52 2,152 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had a few goes on the ladyboss this lunch time.

Managed to get her down to about 1/4 health on my best attempt.

I have two of her attacks mastered, but can't reliably deal with the others. When she takes off is a pain too... I can't get the timing on the dodges.

Thank goodness for the instant reloads!
  • ChiefGB 14 Oct 2017 10:35:50 7,138 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still sniffing around this game, it going back on sale hasn't helped. My backlog is immense though and chrimbo rush is just around the corner.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Oct 2017 11:29:02 10,314 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @RelaxedMikki run instead of dodge.
  • RelaxedMikki 14 Oct 2017 15:31:49 2,152 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    @RelaxedMikki run instead of dodge.
    I will give that a try. I am getting there, I can dodge her pretty well in low stance, but then can't seem to get in close enough to hit her without switching stance

Was seriously considering getting a lower latency TV today... I am sure that sometimes she locks me in a combo before my crappy old flat screen has even got round to displaying the first frame of the attack!
  • Page

of 154 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.