Nioh Page 152

• Page

of 154 First / Last

• GarlVinland 7 Aug 2017 14:56:29 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They really work hard to make the endgame tedious though. Each time a DLC releases, and with it a new difficulty level, and most importantly new loot, you know it's another full playthrough further away.

I'm working on unlocking all the regions in NG+ and it's basically like playing the whole game through again, just for the chance to earn better gear. And even then, the new gear only really seems distinguished by outputting higher numbers and being a nice orange instead of green colour.

Not sure I have it in me to finish way of the strong, then way of the demon, THEN way of the wise. That's too many Umi-Bozu's for my liking.
  • OnlyJoeKing 7 Aug 2017 14:59:38 254 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers guys, too late for me though! I bought it last night. Was so impressed I just thought feck it. Huge Souls fan so I imagine I'll persevere.

I held off till now partly because it runs at a higher resolution on PS4 Pro, but really needn't have worried. Still looks lovely in action mode on a base PS4.
  • solidsneek 8 Aug 2017 21:59:22 372 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Wow got this today and I reckon I have died about 12 times lol.

I am still on the first proper mission (village) already escaped London tower etc.

What a challenging game and I know it's a souls type game but any tips?
  • shamblemonkee 8 Aug 2017 22:08:22 17,518 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @solidsneek dont get greedy
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Aug 2017 08:05:13 21,264 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @solidsneek blocking can be a viable strategy, don't worry too much about stances early on, make sure to use low stance for most enemies at first.

If it is the monsters with horns giving you a problem then bear in mind that one can break their horn which stuns them. Make sure you select grapple in the skills tree and this will allow you an extra powerful attack.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2017 08:47:41
    @solidsneek dont fret over dying.
  • GarlVinland 9 Aug 2017 09:18:38 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @solidsneek get the sneak attack! It's in the ninjutsu skill tree, near the bottom. Very useful, don't know why they don't just have it by default.

Also, if you have played Souls before, you might think you can get stunlocked by an enemy combo, but actually you can break most combos after the first hit by blocking. I kept trying to dodge instead of block and died a hundred times before I figured it out.
  • Gregolution 9 Aug 2017 11:07:44 8,518 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Guys, i haven't played this in ages and restarted today - can't remember if you can logout in the middle of a game like souls? So if I go system menu, return to title screen will I be in the same place next time I start it up?
  • GarlVinland 9 Aug 2017 11:36:41 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Should do. It autosaves constantly, same as Souls. I've lost bits of progress here and there, but usually only when on the map menu. I've learned to manually hit 'save' before backing out each time now.
  • solidsneek 9 Aug 2017 12:28:17 372 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Do you just keep getting sent back to the shrine cause I find myself having to go over the level again and again!
  • SomaticSense 9 Aug 2017 12:33:12 15,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It sends you back to the last shrine.
  • Gregolution 9 Aug 2017 17:48:25 8,518 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is the season pass worth getting while it's cheap? I'm only just unlocking the second region of the game so have a long way to go, but what's this about needing to play through all over again just to play DLC?
  • SomaticSense 9 Aug 2017 18:05:36 15,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not unless you've already beaten it and are somehow still pining for more.

Rushing to get it while it's a bit cheaper would be a false economy if it ends up sitting there unplayed because you are sick of the game, which judging by most opinions here from people who liked the game will be fairly likely.

It'll be in a sale again, and even if not the value of the DLC is quite fair even at full price.
  • Gregolution 9 Aug 2017 18:12:07 8,518 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    These are wise words!

Wisdom doesn't usually fit into my gaming purchases, but I'll do my best this time.
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Aug 2017 18:18:50 21,264 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The content in the DLC is very good but yeah, most people burn out with the game eventually so it isn't worth getting just because it is cheap, as had been said.

Regarding the replaying, this isn't true necessarily as you can go straight into the DLC after finishing the main game. You can also respec for the odachi and the other new weapon should one want to try those out.
  • GarlVinland 14 Aug 2017 11:34:15 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Way of the Strong playthrough almost done, just need to do the last mission and then onto Way of the Demon!

Fatigue hasn't set in just yet while I still have stat points to spend on new skills, but it's creeping up... The loot part of the game could really do with a revamp. It lacks any sort of character at all. They should consult with Blizzard about how to make loot flavourful, their games are infested with the stuff.
  • SomaticSense 14 Aug 2017 14:16:28 15,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Re: loot.

I feel like they should just ditch it next time and opt for more of a Souls approach and have set loot with expansive upgrade trees.

Random loot works for Diablo as it's a core part of the gameplay loop, therefore the main development focus goes into ensuring it has lots of variety and depth, and making sure it all feels balanced. Games like Nioh which are more 1:1 skill focused can't afford to delve too deep into the RNG side of things for ruining the carefully balanced difficulty curve and it's sense of fairness. It's why a lot of the loot feels so bland and underdeveloped, partly because it feels like a late-development change to distance the game a little more from Ninja Gaiden and/or Souls, but also because they were wary of screwing that delicate action game balance.

That's my take anyway. I love my loot'em'ups, but for a potential Nioh 2 they'd be making a smart design decision to massively increase the variety of weapon sets, but minimising the random loot element.

Edited by SomaticSense at 14:18:04 14-08-2017
  • GarlVinland 14 Aug 2017 16:47:08 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm in two minds about it. I still think it could work in a game as rigidly designed as this, but I agree the implementation here is half-arsed.

I'm probably the only person to think it but I like the way The Division handled its loot, only giving you the first 4 out of 5 tiers of loot during the campaign, fairly standard stuff, and then giving you access to legendaries and the really crazy abilities once you finish the game, when balance matters less and you can start really gear-checking. Also unlock the ability to choose your own difficulty level in NG+ and give access to all missions and let me run amok. Basically, do D3 Adventure Mode. Always Adventure Mode. Noone plays the story more than once.

Nioh went halfway on that because they give you divines in NG+, but then insist that you play the game through to completion again, which means even divines have to be tightly controlled. Which means no crazy or OP abilities, precisely what makes loot games fun.

I'm probably more keen than most on them getting it right because Diablo and Souls are my 2 most played games, possibly ever, so a combination of the 2 would be my dream game. :)
  • GarlVinland 26 Sep 2017 16:20:09 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The final DLC is out today, and it's pretty mindblowing. New weapon, ninjutsu and onmyo skills, although no new weapon unfortunately. A new Diablo-style greater rift mode, where you go up higher and higher level dungeons for better rewards, and you can co-op it with 2 others this time. New levels and a couple of bosses obviously. All that usual jazz.

The big one for me though is GODDAMN RYU HAYABUSA('s ancestor)!!
    You fight him and you can get his armour set with unique bonuses, dragon sword and kusarigama. And as if that isn't enough, you can learn his ninpo and Izuna drop! /swoon

Christmas has come early for ninja Gaiden fans!

Edited by GarlVinland at 16:20:22 26-09-2017
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Sep 2017 16:49:19 21,264 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Interesting! My most fun character has the Karusigama and is a ninja but is way over powered having gone almost all the way through NG+ and only being stuck om yhe ridiculous optional battles. Yet I would rather like to take that one through the DLC, however that would mean NG++ for the content.

Either that or I carry on with the odachi character who is also a bit OP really.
  • GarlVinland 26 Sep 2017 19:09:07 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't imagine how difficult NG++ would be for the DLC. I struggled with it a bit on NG and my character is nearing the end of NG+!

Been watching some more footage and it looks amazing. Tons of new stuff, a lot of it squirreled away in side missions and off the beaten path. I think Team Ninja have really created some stellar DLC. Gives season passes a good name!
  • GarlVinland 2 Oct 2017 09:42:17 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The new DLC takes the piss. I'm getting annihilated on the easiest difficulty! Had to cheese Hayabusa just to beat him. Got a sweet Izuna drop from him though!

Hope Nioh 2 is being worked on, and doesn't take as long as the first to arrive. With some refinement to the loot system especially it could be an all-timer.
  • SomaticSense 2 Oct 2017 11:23:42 15,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Got the season pass now all the content is out, and you weren't kidding about the difficulty Garl!

Retreated with my tail between my legs and will instead focus on a fresh replay with a new character using the new weapons, in tandem with NG+ing my old one to grind out levels before diving back in.
  • GarlVinland 2 Oct 2017 12:15:00 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For perspective, I'm midway through NG++. DLC2 was still difficult, but I did enough damage to make it through solo, on NG difficulty.

DLC3 is an endless succession of arse kickings, and I'm not the one handing them out! I've had to use every cheaty trick in the book to scrape through; Sloth, groundfire-into-final blow, running around that rock in the Tachibana Muneshige arena :) (you fight Hayabusa in it. If it was a straight fight I'd just commit seppuku).

There's a two way boss fight that I'm trying to do to earn one of the 2 new skins where I summoned someone and they watched me, probably with a puzzled look on their face, as my quick change scroll revived me, only to fall straight back into a tornado of teeth and blades and my cries of despair, 3 times in 5 seconds until my scrolls ran out.

Still though, there's new loot to earn, so I know I'll just keep playing it regardless. :)
  • Fonzie 2 Oct 2017 13:13:44 3,040 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone tried the Abyss mode yet? I've finished the latest DLC so had a quick go. It's pretty good fun. However, I struggle to understand how anyone has got to floor 999 already? I got my arse kicked on floor 8.
  • Tuffty 2 Oct 2017 13:23:30 3,991 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fucking finally beat Maria from the first DLC last night. Absolutely the hardest boss in the whole game so far.

Looking forward to the next two DLC campaigns. Really liked my first run at the Abyss level too. Definitely one of my games of the year.
  • SomaticSense 2 Oct 2017 14:33:44 15,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fonzie wrote:
    Anyone tried the Abyss mode yet? I've finished the latest DLC... I got my arse kicked on floor 8.
    Yeah, um, I'm not fucking touching Abyss mode :D
  • Rivuzu 2 Oct 2017 16:40:24 16,522 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So I stopped playing this, for some reason... but will double dip and get back on it on PC.

REALLLLLY hoping it has 21:9 support.
  • Fonzie 2 Oct 2017 17:48:52 3,040 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Fonzie wrote:
    Anyone tried the Abyss mode yet? I've finished the latest DLC... I got my arse kicked on floor 8.
    Yeah, um, I'm not fucking touching Abyss mode :D
    You should give it a go. Adds something to an already brilliant game. I'm going to go straight onto Abyss mode again tonight. Then it's time to progress more in way of the demon mode. This is my second build that I'm using now. First was dual swords and spear. This one is Odachi and sword. Enjoying the Odachi build much more.
  • Skirlasvoud 3 Oct 2017 10:39:11 2,802 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm SO stoked this is coming to PC. With a lack of the Dark Souls series, Nioh will do!
  • Page

of 154 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.