Alien: Covenant Page 25

• Page

of 29 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 14 May 2017 22:13:30 20,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gaol yep. Just seen it myself and I was pretty unimpressed. Bored and unimpressed. I preferred Prometheus as that spent some time developing at least some connection to thr characters. I had no interest in the crew or much of anything that happened. I spent about twenty minutes ripping it apart as there is so much to dislike.
  • Zeffi 14 May 2017 22:34:44 859 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fan of Prometheus, thought this was about the same - maybe slightly better.

I did get the feeling it had forced action sequences that weren't really needed (the alien outside the ship part it's in the trailers).

It's Alien, what's not to love though.
  • captainrentboy 14 May 2017 22:42:09 1,639 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ... Another thing that slightly bugged me.
    The Covenant ship looked considerably worse in wide shots when compared to Prometheus.
    For all its problems, Prometheus always looked fucking lovely, not so much with this one. There was a fair bit of ropey CGI and the cinematography wasn't up to the same standard.
  • TolandsRancour 14 May 2017 23:50:58 1,877 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well that was absolute dogshit!
  • wuntyphyve 14 May 2017 23:59:48 8,620 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ha ha that was balls. I actually laughed when a presumably highly trained and carefully selected crew member wandered off into the forest for a smoke, on a completely unknown planet. Only for another shortly after to closely sniff at a completely unknown plant thing. Good God these people were so stupid.

Then. We get the usual wandering off by themselves in a dark and strange place to be picked off.

Particular mention goes to David and his silly hair, silly flute playing, silly motivations, silly dialogue and well, silly everything.

Also. The way that they killed each alien. Wtf. Lady thinks its a good idea to just go outside with a harness. Yes. At what point did she turn into that? Thought she was a vehicle tech or something? And the magical jumping out the way of a huge truck that was behind her at the last possible moment took superhuman senses and looked incredibly stupid.

Someone stop this man making films.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 00:07:47 15-05-2017
  • MrE26 15 May 2017 00:10:22 2,034 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thought it was alright, although the Alien sequences actually seemed shoehorned in there & didn't really fit.

It's like he made a Prometheus sequel & then threw the Alien in there to keep everyone happy.
  • MrFlay 15 May 2017 00:21:32 3,065 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrE26 wrote:
    It's like he made a Prometheus sequel & then threw the Alien in there to keep everyone happy.
    I think that's exactly what happened. It was the only way he was going to get his sequel to a movie no one wanted.
  • ubergine 15 May 2017 04:22:49 6,952 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He's on record saying that he thinks people's problem with Prometheus is that it didn't have a xenomorph in it, not the terrible script, characters, plot etc.
  • solidsneek 15 May 2017 09:21:17 74 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Went to this Saturday was more like a documentary on how the Xenomorphs were made - That said I did really enjoy I just don't like how they can't capture that tense unnerving feeling of the original Alien and/or the game.
  • GarlVinland 15 May 2017 09:58:07 1,459 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe I've blotted Prometheus out of my memory, but why did Shaw decide to repair David after everything he did? Did she have a death wish? Makes that film seem even worse in retrospect, somehow.
  • MH-RobJenx 15 May 2017 10:07:02 1,658 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    Maybe I've blotted Prometheus out of my memory, but why did Shaw decide to repair David after everything he did? Did she have a death wish? Makes that film seem even worse in retrospect, somehow.
    And as an archaeologist, how would she even know how to?
  • Duffking 15 May 2017 10:08:47 13,565 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He probably told her how, to be fair.
  • captbirdseye 15 May 2017 10:09:41 7,948 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Plus, she wouldn't know how to fly an alien spaceship.
  • ubergine 15 May 2017 10:22:10 6,952 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shaw didn't know David murdered her husband, etc. David's motivations in the first movie were far more opaque, as well. As a new life form he's fairly childlike and morally oblivious, although it's also pretty clear that he isn't wholly decided about poisoning the guy's drink until he makes a total dick of himself at David.

Shaw is also religious / optimistic and believes in the possibility of redemption. This prequel trilogy is pretty openly Paradise Lost by way of At The Mountains of Madness and there's still time for David to turn good before the end - but not, I guess, before he blorfs the two thousand colonists into eggs and sticks them in an Engineer ship. Maybe it's David who causes it to crash on LV426, thwarting the engineer pilot's plot to dump them on earth in revenge.

Edited by ubergine at 10:23:41 15-05-2017
  • askew 15 May 2017 10:53:38 15,273 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    He probably told her how, to be fair.
    Yeah, that little promo "The Crossing" had David telling Shaw how to reattach his head to the body.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 May 2017 10:58:08 2,808 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Walter talks about how his new updated model had had some of its personality removed because the David's were freaking everyone out. How many others do you think turned evil back on earth?
  • nickthegun 15 May 2017 11:03:08 70,123 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That was one of my big gripes. They set up the engineers as this cool and mysterious race of aliens who used technology magic to create us, with the big driving plot point that we needed to meet them to understand our place in the universe.

Then in the next movie, David nukes them from orbit and we never get to see another single one of the cunts.
  • kingnothing12 15 May 2017 11:08:02 712 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So where has the information come from that the next film in line will be a prequel of sorts explaining what happened to Shaw and David?

Also seeing as the space jockey has been described as being thousands of years old and we are only 20 years away from the original Alien. I'm wondering how they are going to put that in.
  • captbirdseye 15 May 2017 11:09:49 7,948 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kingnothing12 wrote:
    So where has the information come from that the next film in line will be a prequel of sorts explaining what happened to Shaw and David?

Also seeing as the space jockey has been described as being thousands of years old and we are only 20 years away from the original Alien. I'm wondering how they are going to put that in.
    Ridley, he let it slip in interviews promoting this film.

Fuck knows! I'm sure he'll come up with some lame way.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 May 2017 11:11:53 2,808 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    He's going to George Lucas the fuck out of an Alien remaster to crowbar it into his new continuity
  • Pumpatron 15 May 2017 12:30:15 477 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Watched it yesterday. I enjoyed it, there were certainly a few things about it that bugged me, but overall I liked it. Flawed but still enjoyable.

So this seems to re-write the Alien life cycle. Iím not sure if I like this, on one hand I like David going a bit loopy and experimenting etc, heís become obsessed with the creation of life so that fits for me. But Iím not sure I like the idea of him being the ultimate creator of the final Alien.

That also creates other problems. Like where does the Alien queen fit into this life-cycle? I suppose the queen could be a result of further experimentation, or a mutation. And I assume he somehow created the eggs via his experiments on Shaw etc, but it doesnít quite fit together for me.

Also, if i understand correctly the final Alien that David created is basically the same Alien breed we see in the early films, with this one being the first of that kind, right? If so doesnít this kind fuck up Alien 1979, because hadnít the crashed ship on LV426 had been there for a very long time?Ö way before David started doing his experiments, yet that ship was full of these or a very similar breed of Alien.
  • nickthegun 15 May 2017 12:34:57 70,123 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've seen the queen mentioned a few times but I don't think this really messes things up.

A queen has come from an egg when there isn't another around and I can't see why this would be any different. He created the eggs, the queen come from egg, lay eggs, get nuked, queen comes from an egg, lays eggs.

It doesn't really change the life cycle, just the starting point. Chicken and the egg, innit?
  • brokenkey 15 May 2017 12:39:05 8,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    More likes bees, really. If a hive doesn't have a queen, then they grow a new one from the existing larvae

Edited by brokenkey at 12:40:13 15-05-2017
  • Pumpatron 15 May 2017 12:40:16 477 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @nickthegun

You might wanna spoiler that, but yeah I see your point.
  • MrSensible 15 May 2017 12:41:27 26,522 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really didn't enjoy this that much. It was average at best and I actually prefer Prometheus, because at least it tried something different. The Xenomorph was totally unnecessary and the origins for it are laughable to me.

Strong performances from the cast though - I especially liked the lead actress. Danny McBride was surprisingly good too!

AWFUL CGI. Absolutely terrible.

There were a few strong moments peppered throughout but not enough to justify this, in my eyes.

I did like the 'alien bursting from the back' moment though and enjoyed the double Fassbender stuff.

Edited by MrSensible at 12:44:19 15-05-2017
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 May 2017 12:47:33 2,808 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Aside from getting the movies funded I don't see why either Prometheus or David's experiments needed to be part of the Alien franchise at all.

A story of Engineers, humans and the relationship between humans, androids and whatever comes next could easily have been its own totally independent new fictional universe.

As plotholey as both the new films are a lot of that comes from trying to squeeze it into the established Alien canon. If it were possibly to switch off from that this prequel series would be a lot more narratively coherent
  • nickthegun 15 May 2017 12:49:30 70,123 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pumpatron wrote:
    @nickthegun

You might wanna spoiler that, but yeah I see your point.
    Well, I'm on the phone and, honestly, if you come in here not having seen the film, you deserve being spoiled.
  • MrSensible 15 May 2017 12:50:50 26,522 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Aside from getting the movies funded I don't see why either Prometheus or David's experiments needed to be part of the Alien franchise at all.

A story of Engineers, humans and the relationship between humans, androids and whatever comes next could easily have been its own totally independent new fictional universe.

As plotholey as both the new films are a lot of that comes from trying to squeeze it into the established Alien canon. If it were possibly to switch off from that this prequel series would be a lot more narratively coherent
    Absolutely spot on. If this was a new franchise I think people would be a lot kinder to them as well - they'd certainly blow most other sci fi movies of recent years totally out of the water and be much more well received.
  • nickthegun 15 May 2017 12:56:11 70,123 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's why the engineer thing bothered me. The engineers created us, we created robots, robots created killing machines.

I know Prometheus was quite engineer heavy but the whole point of the fucking film was for us to meet our makers only to have them handwaved out of existence like that operator guy from the matrix.

I know they probably wanted to streamline the story to have us at the top of that chain but, still... who were they and what were they trying to achieve?
  • captbirdseye 15 May 2017 13:45:35 7,948 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm guessing we'll see a lot more of the Engineers in the prequel.

I've seen people asking what happened to all aliens that burst out of the Enginners when David dropped the weapon. Now, that squence of scenes was pretty fast but i don't remember seeing anything but people being turned into stones?
  • Page

of 29 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.