Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Episode VIII) Page 16

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• Jyzzy-Z 12 Sep 2017 17:00:39 2,288 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Naomi Watts really needs to sack her agent.
  • Derblington 12 Sep 2017 17:00:39 29,657 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    McGeeza wrote:
    Can you clarify your point?
    Derblington wrote:
    Rian Johnson's Brick and Looper both have the same kind of reviews as Safety not Guaranteed and all his films have made less money, so why is he more deserving? Gareth Edwards got it through Monsters and... Godzilla? JJ got the gig through his blockbuster work. Why single out Trevorrow?
    Derblington wrote:
    I really don't get this. All the directors they've been using apart from JJ are mildy-to-very successful up-and-comers. Why single out Trevorrow?
    Derblington wrote:
    Again, he's not unique in the way he was hired - I find it weird that he's the sole director that people have issue with.

Granted, Kal has since said that he wasn't keen on Edwards either.

Edited by Derblington at 17:01:42 12-09-2017
  • Gearskin 12 Sep 2017 17:02:10 3,071 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Gearskin wrote:
    Colin delivered Box Office.
    Haha! You and your fucking box office! He also delivered what is considered to be one of the worst films ever made in the Book of Henry which absolutely bombed.

(BOO! IT WAS AMAZING! WHAT DO CRITICS KNOW?!)
    Someone LITERALLY mentioned box office above as an excuse for a director to have an attitude on set.

I draw a direct comparison and you jump down my throat?

Hell, it might have been you that said it.

Edited by Gearskin at 17:03:06 12-09-2017
  • nickthegun 12 Sep 2017 17:03:50 71,949 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    Naomi Watts really needs to sack her agent.
    Hats off to Colin for giving her something on her CV worse than Diana, though.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Sep 2017 17:08:07 11,040 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah I was thinking the same about Naomi Watts the other day. She's genuinely a great actress but only seems to star in utter shit these days.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Sep 2017 17:12:14 9,889 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    McGeeza wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Rian Johnson's Brick and Looper both have the same kind of reviews as Safety not Guaranteed and all his films have made less money, so why is he more deserving? Gareth Edwards got it through Monsters and... Godzilla? JJ got the gig through his blockbuster work. Why single out Trevorrow?
    Derblington wrote:
    I really don't get this. All the directors they've been using apart from JJ are mildy-to-very successful up-and-comers. Why single out Trevorrow?
    Derblington wrote:
    Again, he's not unique in the way he was hired - I find it weird that he's the sole director that people have issue with.

For me it's not about how many films they've made. It's about the nature of those films. Johnson clearly gets it. He's quality. Edwards similarly has something about his films that shows he's got a voice. I'd also been very happy with Duncan Jones or even Alex Garland getting a crack. You can see all of these directors are going to make a lot of good scifi films.

But I just don't see what Trevorrow has done that gives him the credentials to get the keys to the most significant franchise in cinematic history. He's got a twee indie film and a very average blockbuster. He's a nothing director.
  • Gearskin 12 Sep 2017 17:14:06 3,071 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why do you think they hired him.
  • GuiltySpark 12 Sep 2017 17:17:13 6,747 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rian Johnson's Brick is a cracking film. I've been watching it since I was in high school (I'm now teaching in high school for reference!) and it never fails to impress me.

I never really thought "This guy should do Star Wars!" but whatever. I had never even heard of Trevorrow before this Star Wars debacle.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Sep 2017 17:17:16 9,889 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    Why do you think they hired him.
    Well, they seemed to want to give lots of young up and coming sci-fi directors a chance, which is admirable, and I guess he got on the list by that virtue. I suspect they interviewed a lot more people than they hired so I guess he impressed them.

But fuck knows really. Maybe he sucked some important dicks.
  • beastmaster 12 Sep 2017 17:42:27 17,591 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do you guys think they'll give the spin-offs to "new and exciting" directors? As Rogue One made over a billion, would they want to take that risk too?

I can see them getting proven Disney directors such as the Russo brothers and John Favreau a pop at these or whatever they decide to do after 9.

Edited by beastmaster at 17:42:51 12-09-2017
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Sep 2017 17:43:25 9,889 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They are giving the spin offs to new and exciting directors.

And then taking them away again and giving them to Ron Howard.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Sep 2017 17:49:10 11,040 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm still holding out hope that he gets Henry Winkler in to play Han's dad.
  • Derblington 12 Sep 2017 17:51:43 29,657 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Duncan Jones would be interesting, but Warcraft is fairly shit.
    I'd be interested in the Russo brothers too - I think their films are some of the best in the MCU.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Sep 2017 17:54:42 11,040 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Denis Villeneuve is the obvious one for me.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Sep 2017 18:00:00 9,889 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    He's probably too dark for Star Wars, although an Emperor origin story or something might be fun for him.

Actually that sounds kind of amazing...
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Sep 2017 18:11:00 11,040 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah or the rumoured Vader or Boba Fett film they've got planned.
  • Technoishmatt 12 Sep 2017 18:13:06 2,083 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    These are the same people that took a chance and gave us Guardians of the Galaxy. It's all fine.
  • thelzdking 12 Sep 2017 18:42:42 6,359 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    He's probably too dark for Star Wars, although an Emperor origin story or something might be fun for him.

It'd be a lot more interesting than another Vader film.
  • McGeeza 12 Sep 2017 19:24:38 1,858 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    McGeeza wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Derblington wrote:

Yes and i'm saying you don't have any idea why he was sacked. Is it hard to comprehend that he may have been sacked because of reasons they didn't disclose in a press release?
  • beastmaster 12 Sep 2017 20:49:31 17,591 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Episode 9 pushed back to Dec 2019.

Fine by me. I prefer Xmas for these set of films anyway.

Han Solo still due to come out 25th May 2018. Don't know why they're not moving this to Xmas. They probably will as I think it's out around the same time as Infinity War.
  • Derblington 12 Sep 2017 21:03:53 29,657 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @McGeeza
    No, none of us do. But why he was sacked, or that he even has been, has nothing to do with anything.
  • beastmaster 12 Sep 2017 22:14:38 17,591 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Some interesting stuff in this. Filmed before J.J. was announced as the replacement.

• Jyzzy-Z 12 Sep 2017 23:58:58 2,288 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Decks wrote:

See I could get on with that. Much more worthy of a film than young Han solo, or young bobby feta, or 'hey remember that throwaway bit of dialogue from a new hope? Here's a movie about it you don't need or care about'.

Palpatine was the best thing about the prequels, his backstory is pretty vague. They could do his whole thing with Darth Plageuis. That speech he gives to anakin is probably the best dialogue in all 3 prequels imo.

Would be great.
  • reviewer 13 Sep 2017 08:17:44 4,747 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Gearskin wrote:
    Colin delivered Box Office.
    Haha! You and your fucking box office! He also delivered what is considered to be one of the worst films ever made in the Book of Henry which absolutely bombed.

(BOO! IT WAS AMAZING! WHAT DO CRITICS KNOW?!)
    Someone LITERALLY mentioned box office above as an excuse for a director to have an attitude on set.

I draw a direct comparison and you jump down my throat?

Hell, it might have been you that said it.
    Consistently delivering isn't the same as making one franchise film that makes money.
  • bad09 13 Sep 2017 14:10:37 8,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    See I could get on with that. Much more worthy of a film than young Han solo, or young bobby feta, or 'hey remember that throwaway bit of dialogue from a new hope? Here's a movie about it you don't need or care about'.

Palpatine was the best thing about the prequels, his backstory is pretty vague. They could do his whole thing with Darth Plageuis. That speech he gives to anakin is probably the best dialogue in all 3 prequels imo.

Would be great.
    Palpatine would be great but I'm quite keen on seeing the Solo film, I love when you go into the gritty crime ridden world of SW that your rarely see in the films. Having younger Han and Lando in their rogue heyday sounds pretty fun.

As for Bobba, you can never enough Bobba. Even that awful way they brought in a new Fett for the prequels with Jango his clone father had it's merits. I fucking love that battle on Kamino and Geonosis.
  • Jyzzy-Z 13 Sep 2017 14:17:50 2,288 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think them in their rogue heyday was probably done well enough in the original films. I've no enthusiasm for it personally.
  • bad09 13 Sep 2017 14:33:55 8,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We didn't see them in their heyday in the originals? Han's smuggling is only talked about and Lando is the administrator on cloud city when we meet him. Seeing them when they were younger in the SW underworld could be quite good personally.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 13 Sep 2017 14:40:18 30,738 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Itíll be about as good as any Young Indiana Jones film would be without Ford.

i.e. Shit.
  • bad09 13 Sep 2017 14:51:10 8,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think that's the only issue I'm concerned about, a Han and Lando that isn't ford and Williams and will they be able to pull it off.

That underworld side of SW we'll (hopefully) see was always intriguing in games though so I'm more than happy to give it a chance.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Sep 2017 15:02:06 9,889 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    As for Bobba, you can never enough Bobba. Even that awful way they brought in a new Fett for the prequels with Jango his clone father had it's merits. I fucking love that battle on Kamino and Geonosis.
    I personally think EpII is clear proof that you can in fact have too much Bobba.

Never really understood his popularity tbh.
  • Page

of 25 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.