Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Episode VIII) Page 15

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• Derblington 12 Sep 2017 16:09:32 29,628 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I could say the same about Godzilla and Monsters, yet I was alright with Edwards on Rogue One.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Sep 2017 16:18:29 11,004 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm glad you were ok with it. I would say both of those films were better than Jurassic World though. Plus with it being the final part of the main trilogy I would like a more established director to be doing it.
  • nickthegun 12 Sep 2017 16:20:50 71,918 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    Yet he did fine on Jurassic World?
    The word is that he was absolutely unbearable to work with on that but because he was hand picked for the project by Spielberg, he was untouchable. Not so much at Disney.
  • Jyzzy-Z 12 Sep 2017 16:22:45 2,280 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I'm glad you were ok with it. I would say both of those films were better than Jurassic World though. Plus with it being the final part of the main trilogy I would like a more established director to be doing it.
    I'd argue Force Awakens is marginally better (I think they're really similar but JJ pulls it off with more style, and star wars is better material than JP). JW was better than Rogue One IMO. I completely agree with the RLM review of that. No characters in it. At least Chris Pratt was a bit of a laugh and dinosaurs and things.
  • beastmaster 12 Sep 2017 16:22:48 17,589 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep, but are aware that this happened on Rogue One? Depends on what you read. Had Edward's not been cooperated, he my have been given the boot too.

It wasn't all Edwards
  • Derblington 12 Sep 2017 16:24:07 29,628 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But he *can* direct. There's nothing really wrong with the direction in JW, it's the script and other stuff that people have issue with. It's not like it's difficult to follow along from shot to shot, etc. And Lucasfilm have proven that you can't just do whatever you want.

He was let go here because of the lack of cohesive vision for the script (and attitude, potentially). Nothing to do with his directing ability.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Sep 2017 16:24:32 9,889 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I agree it's far less risky to give the spin off films to younger directors. With the main saga you really want some safe hands (although not Ron Howard levels, that's too far the other way).

FWIW I thought it was kinda madness to give Gareth Edwards a film as well, but I think he's shown himself to at least have a consistent vision as a director, despite only also doing two films.
  • Derblington 12 Sep 2017 16:26:38 29,628 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Yep, but are aware that this happened on Rogue One? Depends on what you read. Had Edward's not been cooperated, he my have been given the boot too.

It wasn't all Edwards
    I'm well aware of all of it. My point is that people find Trevorrow a poor choice yet have been fine with all the other directors that Lucasfilm have hired and fired.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Sep 2017 16:27:10 11,004 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    But he *can* direct. There's nothing really wrong with the direction in JW, it's the script and other stuff that people have issue with. It's not like it's difficult to follow along from shot to shot, etc. And Lucasfilm have proven that you can't just do whatever you want.

He was let go here because of the lack of cohesive vision for the script (and attitude, potentially). Nothing to do with his directing ability.
    I'm sorry I didn't realise you were working on the film. My apologies.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Sep 2017 16:29:09 9,889 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Surely your ' cohesive vision' is what being a director is all about. Directing is essentially just telling everyone else what to do. If you don't have a cohesive vision, you have nothing.
  • Gearskin 12 Sep 2017 16:29:19 3,071 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Gearskin wrote:
    Yet he did fine on Jurassic World?
    The word is that he was absolutely unbearable to work with on that but because he was hand picked for the project by Spielberg, he was untouchable. Not so much at Disney.
    Who says these things? There was nothing but pomp and bluster surrounding that production which was hailed a success and make a fuckload of money.

If he was such a dick he would have been removed from that production.

The reality is that this is Star Wars and he is the FOURTH director to be "removed" from a Star Wars film.

Same things have been "said" about James Cameron. But with him its cool to be firm.

Edited by Gearskin at 16:30:28 12-09-2017
  • Derblington 12 Sep 2017 16:30:05 29,628 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good argument.
  • Jyzzy-Z 12 Sep 2017 16:30:59 2,280 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Different studios handle directors differently though. It does seem to be the trend that you either bow to the creative direction of KK and the mouse house or you fuck off.
  • Gearskin 12 Sep 2017 16:33:10 3,071 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    Different studios handle directors differently though. It does seem to be the trend that you either bow to the creative direction of KK and the mouse house or you fuck off.
    Which I think says a lot more about them than the people they have "differences" with.
  • nickthegun 12 Sep 2017 16:33:49 71,918 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cameron is his own production company. He can do whatever the fuck he likes.

If he was, for some reason, signed up to do a star wars movie, he would likely come under the whip, too.
  • reviewer 12 Sep 2017 16:35:18 4,744 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    Which I think says a lot more about them than the people they have "differences" with.
    Yes, it says they're running the whole thing and trying to make something that fits a bigger picture.

If a director can't deliver that then why keep then?
  • Derblington 12 Sep 2017 16:36:21 29,628 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Surely your ' cohesive vision' is what being a director is all about. Directing is essentially just telling everyone else what to do. If you don't have a cohesive vision, you have nothing.
    'Cohesive vision' as in the direction of the saga in it's (current) final act, not actually pointing a camera at shit. He either wants to do something that Lucasfilm don't like, or just as likely he's pissed of some of the team.

Would he have been dropped were he not writing the final story? Most probably not at this stage, at least.
  • reviewer 12 Sep 2017 16:36:56 4,744 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Cameron is his own production company. He can do whatever the fuck he likes.

If he was, for some reason, signed up to do a star wars movie, he would likely come under the whip, too.
    Yeah, Cameron is nothing like Trevorrow etc. Same with Nolan, Spielberg etc. They all produce/have their own production companies and deliver box office.

Edited by reviewer at 16:39:07 12-09-2017
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Sep 2017 16:41:37 9,889 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    'Cohesive vision' as in the direction of the saga in it's (current) final act, not actually pointing a camera at shit. He either wants to do something that Lucasfilm don't like, or just as likely he's pissed of some of the team.

Would he have been dropped were he not writing the final story? Most probably not at this stage, at least.
    Are you getting all this from the studio statement that their visions were different? Cos that was just a generic bullshit bit of PR. You seem to be reading a huge amount of detail into that one sentence. They would have said the same thing if he'd have been fired for stealing bog rolls.
  • Gearskin 12 Sep 2017 16:41:51 3,071 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Colin delivered Box Office. He was in the chair with a writing credit on a huge studio reboot.

He should be the perfect choice for Star Wars, what with it being a studio reboot.

Why doesnt KK just direct it herself?
  • reviewer 12 Sep 2017 16:44:25 4,744 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't think you understand what her job is.

Edit: or what the film is. It isn't a reboot.

Edited by reviewer at 16:45:15 12-09-2017
  • Gearskin 12 Sep 2017 16:45:39 3,071 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    reviewer wrote:
    I don't think you understand what her job is.

Edit: or what the film is. It isn't a reboot.
    She is a producer. Who sacks people.
  • Derblington 12 Sep 2017 16:45:44 29,628 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are you getting all this from the studio statement that their visions were different? Cos that was just a generic bullshit bit of PR. You seem to be reading a huge amount of detail into that one sentence. They would have said the same thing if he'd have been fired for stealing bog rolls.
    Well, no, because if it;s the ego thing, which is more likely, he still wouldn't have been around the Lucasfilm team so much if he wasn't writing it.

Again, he's not unique in the way he was hired - I find it weird that he's the sole director that people have issue with.
  • McGeeza 12 Sep 2017 16:48:53 1,855 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Well, no, because if it;s the ego thing, which is more likely, he still wouldn't have been around the Lucasfilm team so much if he wasn't writing it.

Again, he's not unique in the way he was hired - I find it weird that he's the sole director that people have issue with.
    You have absolutely no idea why he was sacked. He could have shat in KKs cornflakes for all we know.
  • Derblington 12 Sep 2017 16:50:43 29,628 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The reason why he was sacked is completely irrelevant to the point.
  • McGeeza 12 Sep 2017 16:54:20 1,855 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can you clarify your point?
  • nickthegun 12 Sep 2017 16:54:55 71,918 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    Colin delivered Box Office.
    Haha! You and your fucking box office! He also delivered what is considered to be one of the worst films ever made in the Book of Henry which absolutely bombed.

(BOO! IT WAS AMAZING! WHAT DO CRITICS KNOW?!)

Edited by nickthegun at 16:58:32 12-09-2017
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Sep 2017 16:56:19 9,889 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I"m pretty lost as to what the point is at this point.

Point.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Sep 2017 16:56:41 11,004 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Can't argue with the numbers Nick.
  • beastmaster 12 Sep 2017 17:00:32 17,589 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It could be the most important part of any film. The story.

They did bring someone else in to help him as he seemed to be struggling. If they still couldn't crack it then what next? If is was ego then maybe he didn't like what KK was telling him and vice versa.

If The Last Jedi turns out to be Empire good then KK has, imo, definitely been making the right calls. Certainly seems to be that way so far.

Disney know what the fuck they are doing when it comes to film making. J.J. has had a nice break and hopefully he'll be pumped to do the next episode.
  • Page

of 25 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.