Retro gaming thread Page 3

• Page

of 36 First / Last

• Banyans 18 Jul 2016 20:22:48 433 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got a raspberry pi 3 running retro pi and its great, using a ds4 no problems and the emulators run fine (not tried the Dreamcast tbh). Ps1 emulation is very good also, n64 is a bit choppy but if you mess around with the set up option for the Roms you can usually get good performance out of them!
  • Cappy 18 Jul 2016 20:39:08 13,551 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think any N64 emulators work particularly well. It dates back to their 'breakthrough' when they were running Mario 64 whilst the game was still on store shelves.

Unfortunately these emulators rely on some real corner cutting hacks that get certain targeted popular games like Mario 64 and Zelda working but they're complete failures as general purpose emulators.

N64 emulation needs to start again from scratch, removing the quick and dirty hacks as they go along.
  • mal 18 Jul 2016 22:54:36 28,130 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Have you seen this: http://www.libretro.com/index.php/first-ever-revolutionary-n64-vulkan-emulator-coming-soon-only-for-libretro-parallei/

That said, I've found no RDP plugin yet that renders shadows and stars in Mario Tennis 64 at all properly. I won't hold my breath waiting to see if this new plugin does any better.
  • DangerousDave_87 19 Jul 2016 10:11:52 2,311 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Is this thread specifically for Raspberry Pi owners, or can us Virtual Console folk get in on this too?

I'm currently sourcing a Wii Zapper so I can play Hogan's Alley properly with a Wii remote. I know the NES isn't all that popular here, but I love it. I can't wait for that NES pad (For Wii/NES Mini) to come out.
  • Deleted user 19 July 2016 10:27:32
    @DangerousDave_87

Nah mate anything retro :)
  • Deleted user 19 July 2016 13:43:41
    My kit has arrived:)

https://flic.kr/p/KaxL2Z
  • AceGrace 19 Jul 2016 15:31:35 3,080 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice. Where did you order it from?
  • Deleted user 19 July 2016 15:39:58
    AceGrace wrote:
    Nice. Where did you order it from?
    All from amazon.
  • DenzilHead 19 Jul 2016 20:58:40 14 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've been thinking about how I'd like something permanently plugged into my TV, so I can sit on my sofa and play some classics.

Is the Raspberry Pi the way to go, or are there other options?

What about these android TV boxes that amazon and ebay are awash with for 25-30? Or, are they just signal receiver/senders with no real processing power or graphical capabilities?

Thanks.

Edited by DenzilHead at 20:59:16 19-07-2016
  • mal 19 Jul 2016 22:42:16 28,130 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't know if this is generally accepted, but I've heard bad things about Android with respect to joystick latency issues. RPi, using a simpler operating system, should have less of those issues. There are plenty other single board computers that can do the job, but the RPi probably has the most tutorial pages written about it.
  • Deleted user 20 July 2016 00:08:34
    Well got my pi setup. Dead easy process. Took 10 mins to install, transfer a few roms and get into a game.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 20 Jul 2016 00:29:15 1,101 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mal wrote:
    I don't know if this is generally accepted, but I've heard bad things about Android with respect to joystick latency issues. RPi, using a simpler operating system, should have less of those issues. There are plenty other single board computers that can do the job, but the RPi probably has the most tutorial pages written about it.
    skip android mate, lots of bodges, go pi where the enthusiasts are
  • CalamityJames 20 Jul 2016 08:54:46 147 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @addyb Did you buy each thing separately, or was it sold as a bundle?
  • quadfather 20 Jul 2016 09:06:49 28,313 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    addyb wrote:

Isn't that pad back to front?
  • monkehhh 20 Jul 2016 09:52:05 4,700 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RetroArch and a Steam Link for me, nice to have everything on one machine.
  • Deleted user 20 July 2016 10:17:13
    CalamityJames wrote:
    @addyb Did you buy each thing separately, or was it sold as a bundle?
    I bought it all separately. It got delivered in a bundle. 75 it cost me altogether. Obviously for others it might be cheaper as I needed a wireless keyboard and it wasn't essential that I needed a pad as I could use my ds4 but wanted a more retro approach.
  • Deleted user 20 July 2016 10:21:12
    quadfather wrote:
    addyb wrote:

Isn't that pad back to front?
    Nah just the box :) Pad is pretty good. Does the job. Dpad is good but needs breaking in a bit. Just like the snes pad.

Overall though it was dead easy to setup.

Install retropie image on sd card
    Insert sd card into pi and install.
    Configure pad buttons etc
    Bang roms into relevant folders on a usb stick.
    Insert stick and refresh the emulation
    Pick and play the game.

I only set it up late last night but managed to test

Turtles in time and mystical ninja (snes)
    Shinobi (mame)
  • Fake_Blood 20 Jul 2016 10:53:50 7,526 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wish they opensourced the vita, it would be a perfect retro machine.
  • rockavitch 20 Jul 2016 11:07:13 948 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was thinking of doing this myself. Not expecting any massive change but how is the image quality on a tv?
  • Deleted user 20 July 2016 11:11:46
    rockavitch wrote:
    Was thinking of doing this myself. Not expecting any massive change but how is the image quality on a tv?
    Initially snes was very pixelated on my 55" oled but discovered a setting in retropie for each emulator that turns on 'smoothing' which makes the picture miles better.
  • the_milkybar_kid 20 Jul 2016 11:19:33 5,732 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Banyans I'm waiting for a Pi 3B today, is it straightforward enough to set up for a moron? I've got a few turorial videos saved and none of them are over 20 minutes long so I'm assuming it can't be that difficult. Really want to play everything on it using the DS4.

And yeah, RE the Vita, that's one of the reasons I sold mine. I know CFW was available but it seemed like a massive faff to get anything working on it. Especially if you still wanted to use the store.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 11:40:43 20-07-2016
  • mal 20 Jul 2016 11:28:56 28,130 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    I wish they opensourced the vita, it would be a perfect retro machine.
    Then xbox was a fantastic emulation machine for its time. One copy of Splinter Cell, a dodgy save on a hacked up USB stick, and a disc of emus and games from a very helpful member of this community and bingo, all the CPS2 and Neo-geo games you could shake a stick at.
  • Fake_Blood 20 Jul 2016 11:41:32 7,526 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mal yes it was. Mine was chipped before the softmod existed.
  • the_milkybar_kid 20 Jul 2016 11:56:56 5,732 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @addyb I posted here earlier but somehow completely managed to miss your post. Really helpful stuff. Do you transfer the roms to the sd card? Do you know if it's the same standard process for arcade games?
  • D_arkTrooper 20 Jul 2016 12:00:00 1,456 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Totally agree about the original XBox. I still have mine on my desk in front of me and a spare mint condition one soft modded still in its box. Still looks good on HDTV if using a component cable.

Edited by D_arkTrooper at 12:00:28 20-07-2016
  • Deleted user 20 July 2016 12:03:10
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    @addyb I posted here earlier but somehow completely managed to miss your post. Really helpful stuff. Do you transfer the roms to the sd card? Do you know if it's the same standard process for arcade games?
    Well the only confusing part is the roms. The guide I used said to create a folder on a usb stick and insert into the pi for 30 seconds. This creates all the rom folders. Now I don't know how to do this for the sd card. I may have missed something somewhere. Currently I have roms on a stick plugged into the pi so I'm still getting the same results just via a different source.

Basically you create a folder called retropie on the sd card/usb stick and insert that into the pi. After activity has finished (30 secs) you plug that back into a pc/laptop and with retropie folder you will then see various other folders. Roms, bios etc. Within roms is an A-Z list of all emulators. Within each one you just drop the relevant roms into it.

So last night I grabbed mystical ninja and turtles and dropped them into the snes folder. I then inserted that back into the pi and refreshed the session and when the menu comes back up snes was there and I could pick and play the games.
  • Deleted user 20 July 2016 12:04:31
    Like emulation of old any emulators that need bios files will need to be placed in the bios directory under the retropie folder you previously created. I'll test that tonight for the neo geo games.
  • D_arkTrooper 20 Jul 2016 12:09:56 1,456 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Pi should be visable on the network providing the internet settings are done correctly and are running Windows. All of the rom folders will be available and it's just a case of dragging and dropping the ROMs where ever they're needed.
  • mal 20 Jul 2016 12:14:10 28,130 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    MAME games can be a bit of a bitch to set up, I've found, if you're grabbing them individually rather than using a set. Many older roms just need the rom dumps, but later games also need samples and things to be put in different folders.
  • the_milkybar_kid 20 Jul 2016 12:33:15 5,732 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @addyb Thanks mate. I'll have a play around with it later.
  • Page

of 36 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.