Retro gaming thread

  • Page

    of 35 First / Last

    Previous
  • richarddavies 9 Jan 2016 13:32:37 5,849 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a look and couldn't find a general thread for retro gaming fans. Does anyone still play there older games? I do like newer games but still have a love of my older stuff and probably p!at more of my mega drive, SNES, Dreamcast and Saturn etc. I've just bought a vita so I could play some psone games and have bought a few RPGs like suikoden 1 and too and final fantasy 7,8,9 and a few castlevania's.

    Been playing a lot of mega drive lately too. Played splatterhouse 3 and revenge of shinobi this morning.

    Doe's anyone still play some old classics?
  • mal 9 Jan 2016 14:11:58 27,900 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I just used my old wii to rip all of my gamecube games, so they can all go into storage. I have my N64 carts all downloaded too, as well as the odd older cart I have. I still need to do my PS1 games and DC collection.

    Unfortunately I don't really have the room to play them a lot at the moment. I used to use my Pandora until I broke the screen (I can still use it, but only on the big TV now). I'm looking forward to my Pyra though.
  • the_milkybar_kid 9 Jan 2016 14:25:15 5,430 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I go through a phase once or twice a year of wanting to play games from the 16bt era, and I'm starting to get that urge again. Have all my old consoles up in the loft and have a Gamecube and about 30 games in a cupboard downstairs due to recently starting a collection.

    I have a question though, does anyone know if the Amazon Firestick is able to emulate Snes games? I tried Metroid on it but it ran like it was -2x slower. Ran out of time before trying any other but wanted to check before wasting time with it.
  • Phattso 9 Jan 2016 14:29:10 21,499 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I recently got a lot of stuff out of storage, so have been messing with the Gamecube, original XBOX, and some older handhelds like the NEO GEO Pocket.

    I too go through phases with retro stuff, usually when there's nothing contemporary to hold my interest. :)
  • D_arkTrooper 9 Jan 2016 14:55:38 1,451 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I bought an nVidia Shield TV box just before Xmas and its perfect for emulation. Been playing a lot of MegaDrive games like Devil Crash and Bare Knuckle III. SNES and PS1 is also covered brilliantly too as well as MAME (although I need to track down a fully compatible romset).
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2016 15:34:13 5,716 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wanted to play a N64 game the other day, but then I noticed that it was the 50hz version and that I don't have a CRT anymore and that I only have composite cables.

    I elected to play the PC version instead.
  • superbob85 9 Jan 2016 15:36:43 7,328 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Problem I have is hooking the systems up to these newer tv's. The picture quality is shocking usually play mega drive collection on 360 because of this.
  • quadfather 9 Jan 2016 15:44:04 27,259 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I still have blasts on older stuff. Got an American SNES which is still a good laugh. 2 player chaos engine/soldiers of fortune is still ace. Ghouls n ghosts, final fight(s), all that stuff. Ps2 for silent hill 2 now and again. Dreamcast for wacky races and stuff.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2016 15:46:12
    No longer play my pikey PAL originals, so it's emulators all the way. Streets of Rage II gets played through a few times a year, as does Super Mario Kart (still the best in the series).

    Rocket Knight Adventures, Rock'n'roll Racing, Thunderforce IV, Subterrenea and Cybernator get frequent plays too.
  • superbob85 9 Jan 2016 15:53:13 7,328 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Been playing altered beast for some weird reason not even remotely a good game.
  • MrFlay 9 Jan 2016 16:24:01 3,199 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just set up my Raspberry Pi 2 with Lakka and Retroarch and it works perfectly with SNES games. I don't have ROMs for anything else. Secret of Mana looked excellent on my 32" 1080p TV.

    I was using a wired 360 pad so I shall have to get something with a better d-pad. My work for the weekend is done. Retroarch has support for PSX, N64 and even ZX Spectrum.
  • Zomoniac 9 Jan 2016 17:10:36 9,286 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have every major console going back to the Master System (no NES though, yet) in my game room, with an HDTV and a couple of CRTs. Completely impractical to have them all set up, so they live on a bookshelf and the wires are in a stack of boxes so I can just wire them up whenever. Also got a Retron 5 for when I'm too lazy to set them up.

    Really want a Vectrex next, never had one and they're so pretty. Seem to be at least 200 in good nick though, holding out till I see a good deal. Would like a GPD XD or JXB 7800 handheld emulation thing as well, but waiting for a price drop.
  • richarddavies 9 Jan 2016 17:20:05 5,849 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    superbob85 wrote:
    Been playing altered beast for some weird reason not even remotely a good game.
    Weirdly enough I was literally just playing that. Got up to the third level and thought "fuck this" and turned it off and checked on here to see this.

    I've been shopping around for a handheld that can do emulation well. I like the thought of being able to play all the old systems in bed or on the shitter.

    EDIT: I have been debating about buying a few ever drives as well when I got the money spare. For anyone that doesn't know there basically a cartridge that you can get for your snes, mega drive or n64 and put your ROMs directly on it so you can play them directly on the original console. They look nifty.

    Edited by richarddavies at 17:23:09 09-01-2016
  • FrostPan 9 Jan 2016 20:29:48 1,285 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Felt the urge recently to buy Resi 1-3 on the PSN store to play on the Vita. I'll get around to it.

    Played REmake at a friend's and had a lot of fun. Never played any of the old school Resi's so wouldn't mind starting with the original games.
  • superbob85 9 Jan 2016 20:39:46 7,328 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Im getting an urge to pick up a dreamcast and shenmue 1 and 2 for some reason.
  • richarddavies 9 Jan 2016 21:25:53 5,849 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I very nearly started shenmue myself not long ago but I have a feeling there going to get rereleased when 3's out or round there. I only have one on the Dreamcast though and 2 on the Xbox. I did play through Blue stinger randomly enough on my dreamy a few month back. I don't know why but it's always fit in that so shit it's good category for me.
  • DaM 9 Jan 2016 21:52:07 16,683 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    mal wrote:

    Unfortunately I don't really have the room to play them a lot at the moment. I used to use my Pandora until I broke the screen (I can still use it, but only on the big TV now). I'm looking forward to my Pyra though.
    I'm trying very hard to ignore the Pyra, as I can see it joining the pile of stuff like this I buy that ends up forgotten in a drawer.....

    I think I played a bit of MAME on my Pandora.
  • Psiloc 10 Jan 2016 00:21:19 3,896 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have pretty much every major console ever set up and ready to roll at any moment. Retro gaming is as much a part of my life as modern gaming really.
  • Psiloc 10 Jan 2016 00:22:42 3,896 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got nothing against emulation though. It's what I'd recommend to anybody half interested in old games.
  • superbob85 10 Jan 2016 00:32:25 7,328 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Didn't the dc version of shenmue 2 have no English voice overs just the subs. I remember something like that.

    Edited by superbob85 at 00:33:21 10-01-2016
  • Psiloc 10 Jan 2016 00:42:12 3,896 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's correct.
  • wizbob 10 Jan 2016 00:48:30 874 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been looking at Vectrex too. Vector games can't be emulated and no one is going to make a new vector console.

    I went down the Everdrive route with my NES and it's great being able to play fan translations or unreleased games (like the recent Dizzy) on original hardware. No more worries about breaking the edge connector either, although I'm finding it hard to part with my original carts.
  • superbob85 10 Jan 2016 00:48:31 7,328 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Strangely the Xbox version had the voice overs.
  • mal 10 Jan 2016 02:17:08 27,900 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    I'm trying very hard to ignore the Pyra, as I can see it joining the pile of stuff like this I buy that ends up forgotten in a drawer.....

    I think I played a bit of MAME on my Pandora.
    The Pandora software scene constantly amazes me. No interest in playing Starcraft or Diablo II on the go? Or anything Amiga - that emu got a lot faster and more compatible recently.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2016 03:25:42
    MrFlay wrote:
    I just set up my Raspberry Pi 2 with Lakka and Retroarch and it works perfectly with SNES games. I don't have ROMs for anything else. Secret of Mana looked excellent on my 32" 1080p TV.

    I was using a wired 360 pad so I shall have to get something with a better d-pad. My work for the weekend is done. Retroarch has support for PSX, N64 and even ZX Spectrum.
    The Dualshock 4 is fantastic for SNES and (obviously) Playstation 1 games because of the layout and great d pad.
  • reggy72 10 Jan 2016 08:14:34 612 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    MrFlay wrote:
    I just set up my Raspberry Pi 2 with Lakka and Retroarch and it works perfectly with SNES games. I don't have ROMs for anything else. Secret of Mana looked excellent on my 32" 1080p TV.

    I was using a wired 360 pad so I shall have to get something with a better d-pad. My work for the weekend is done. Retroarch has support for PSX, N64 and even ZX Spectrum.
    The Dualshock 4 is fantastic for SNES and (obviously) Playstation 1 games because of the layout and great d pad.
    Or even better than the Dualshock a USB snes pad for your snes emulation, and they're dirt cheap too. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-SNES-Controller-Retro-Gaming-Joypad-Joystick-Wired-Gamepad-For-Nintendo-UK-/151924413539?hash=item235f669463:g:YxkAAOSwJcZWeVAY
  • Psiloc 10 Jan 2016 11:29:23 3,896 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    superbob85 wrote:
    Strangely the Xbox version had the voice overs.
    It was Xbox exclusive in the US which tied the American voice overs to that version.

    MS have been buying exclusives for a long time ;)

    The UK Dreamcast version is actually a very popular import game in the US.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2016 11:43:48
    Used to have two mame / jamma arcade cabinets at one point, but got rid of them as I no longer played the older games.

    Still have a healthy retro collection in the cupboard with only a few consoles/computers missing from it.

    Do I play them ... Nope .. I barely have time to play modern games these days let alone games from 20 - 30 years ago.
  • challenge_hanukkah 10 Jan 2016 12:15:24 4,613 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    On New Year's Eve I went here: http://www.arcadeclub.co.uk/

    It was really rather awesome.

    Will be going back when they get their alcohol licence sorted.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2016 12:22:52
    reggy72 wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    MrFlay wrote:
    I just set up my Raspberry Pi 2 with Lakka and Retroarch and it works perfectly with SNES games. I don't have ROMs for anything else. Secret of Mana looked excellent on my 32" 1080p TV.

    I was using a wired 360 pad so I shall have to get something with a better d-pad. My work for the weekend is done. Retroarch has support for PSX, N64 and even ZX Spectrum.
    The Dualshock 4 is fantastic for SNES and (obviously) Playstation 1 games because of the layout and great d pad.
    Or even better than the Dualshock a USB snes pad for your snes emulation, and they're dirt cheap too. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-SNES-Controller-Retro-Gaming-Joypad-Joystick-Wired-Gamepad-For-Nintendo-UK-/151924413539?hash=item235f669463:g:YxkAAOSwJcZWeVAY
    Mate of mine has one of them (I assume), it's just cheap and nasty. I has a USB converter to plug my original SNES pads into, but honestly prefer the Dualshock.

    Still use my SLS Saturn pad for all things Sega and MAME related.
  • Page

    of 35 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.