Favourite punk band Page 4

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Spanky 15 Feb 2010 12:40:44 14,448 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not unless everyone involved in it suddenly dropped dead.

Plubs

• Spanky 15 Feb 2010 12:55:58 14,448 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    Then why say such-and-such a band isn't punk because the cultural movement was with that time?
    Eh because it's a cultural movement, it seques back and forward into the culture around that time. Simonon is still making his influence known as is PiL and plenty of others, they're all directly connected back to punk. Unlike wank like Green Day and Offspring
    Smuggo wrote:
    If you don't know these bands then I'm not really sure you can comment on whether they are or are not punk.
    Well it's my opinion that you 90's music lovers should go start a GARAGE thread and keep your ska-punk-pop pish in there.
    Smuggo wrote:
    Musically speaking most 1990s and 21st century punk is far superior to what came in the 1970s.
    LOL next up "My Opinion on French Ye Ye" by Jeremy Clarkson.

Plubs

• Spanky 15 Feb 2010 13:05:20 14,448 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well if you're not sure you really shouldn't comment on whether they're punk or not. :p

Plubs

• Spanky 15 Feb 2010 13:08:43 14,448 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Awww diddums can't take his own medicine. :D

Plubs

• Gartt 15 Feb 2010 13:10:42 1,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Give us some "proper" punk then. Please educate us.
  • Deleted user 15 February 2010 13:13:27
    Bickering is a muggs game.

enjoy some Bad Religion instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fafg2ijeRKk
  • Matt_B 15 Feb 2010 13:18:38 443 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    UK: Leatherface & Snuff
    Overseas: Propagandhi
  • Gartt 15 Feb 2010 13:23:25 1,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Matt_B wrote:
    UK: Leatherface & Snuff
    Overseas: Propagandhi

Ah man, that takes me back! I used to love Propagandhi, one of the best live bands Ive seen live, surprisingly. Anti-Manifesto is still one of my favourite songs to this day, shame about eveything after Less talk, more rock. :p
  • Spanky 15 Feb 2010 13:30:09 14,448 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gartt wrote:
    Hey i wasn't having a go at you more Smuggo waving off all punk bands from the heyday citing only two bands as being of any worth(Ramones and Clash). And *edit* ME *edit* having an unsubtle dig at 90's 'punk'.

From the same time:
    The Jam, The Stranglers, Magazine, Psychedelic Furs, UK Subs, X-Ray Spex... etc etc etc. There are loads of bands from the time that are great whether i/you like them or not.

Most of the 90's music being pointed at was such a genre mix that i couldn't put them in the punk bracket, take thon Bad Religion, sounds like some sort of rocking hillbilly honky rapping, i don't hear the punk influence.

Plubs

• FWB 15 Feb 2010 13:30:50 41,916 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    Gartt wrote:
    Spanky wrote:
    Are any of the bands mentioned on this page actually punk? I'm getting Green Day/No Doubt vibes from the names.

Depends what you define as punk I guess, all music evolves for good or bad, it aint the 70s anymore.
    Pop-punk? ska-punk? punk-rock? skatepunk? emo(god forbid)? Things have changed, but so has society. Punk as it was just doesnt exist anymore simple-as, society has changed too much, is that a bad thing? A lyric always stays with me from a bigwig song, "If Sid Vicious was so punk then I guess I'll start shooting junk, they were on a major label...".

Give me 90's punk-rock over "punk" any day of the week.

People seem to think of the 70s as some sort of Punk heyday but TBH the only really good punk bands from that era were The Ramones and The Clash.

Sex Pistols fucking suck.

Rubbish. Tons of brilliant punk bands. I listed a few of them on page two. I think what you mean to say is:

People seem to think of the 70s as some sort of Punk heyday but TBH the only one's I (Smuggo) have heard of are The Ramones and The Clash.
  • Matt_B 15 Feb 2010 13:34:49 443 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I saw the same tour in Leeds. Amazing live band. The new Propaghandi ablum Supporting Caste IMO is thier best yet. Worth checking out Gartt.
  • Deleted user 15 February 2010 13:35:49
    Does anyone remember Die Toten Hosen? They seemed to be permanently touring during the early nineties!
  • BanjoMan 15 Feb 2010 13:39:21 13,730 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    People seem to think of the 70s as some sort of Punk heyday but TBH the only really good punk bands from that era were The Ramones and The Clash.

Sex Pistols fucking suck.
    Sham 69 just called you a cunt.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• BanjoMan 15 Feb 2010 13:45:41 13,730 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love their concept album 'That's Life'. A punk concept album. With a story. Very, very awesome.

Just rediscovered The Stupids 'Violent Nun' album. There's a few skits in that too, funny shit. Most of it involving the Elephant Man.

• FWB 15 Feb 2010 13:48:24 41,916 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    I've heard of plenty of bands from the 70s but like I said, most of them are pretty poor musically.

Actually, I reckon you haven't, because musically the Pistols and Ramones are probably two of the most simplest, musically limited bands of the entire genre. Captain Sensible, for example, was/is a great guitarist. Have a listen to a few of the guys I listed on page two.

As for dismissing "bands from the 70s"... don't make me laugh.
  • Gartt 15 Feb 2010 13:48:55 1,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    Gartt wrote:
    Hey i wasn't having a go at you more Smuggo waving off all punk bands from the heyday citing only two bands as being of any worth(Ramones and Clash). And *edit* ME *edit* having an unsubtle dig at 90's 'punk'.

From the same time:
    The Jam, The Stranglers, Magazine, Psychedelic Furs, UK Subs, X-Ray Spex... etc etc etc. There are loads of bands from the time that are great whether i/you like them or not.

Most of the 90's music being pointed at was such a genre mix that i couldn't put them in the punk bracket, take thon Bad Religion, sounds like some sort of rocking hillbilly honky rapping, i don't hear the punk influence.

Fair enough mate, you were just coming across as pretty confrontational. Debate is healthy! I do agree with you to an extent though, I mentioned as much.
    Times change and music does its just natural progression of the sound and how you define the punk sound. Is it the guitar? Vocals? Maybe its got nothing to do with the sound at all, the message? Anti-establishment anarcho bullshit? I dunno what it is. The Clash didnt exactly have the archetypal "punk" sound (there was plenty of ska/reggae influence in their music) but are still considered one of the definitions of punk.

• FWB 15 Feb 2010 13:50:34 41,916 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyway, like I said before this trumped it all.
  • BanjoMan 15 Feb 2010 13:54:07 13,730 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Subhumans were pretty fucking good, although they were a bit late to the party.

Anyone like Los Crudos? '90s punk, but kind of a pure punk approach.

• Zerobob 15 Feb 2010 13:55:27 1,602 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rise Against or Less Than Jake, but I'm not much of a punk fan.
  • FWB 15 Feb 2010 13:55:54 41,916 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    I'm not saying I know every band, but Pistols, Buzzcocks, The Jam, UK Subs are the main ones I've listened to and the music isn't great. I'm not trying to paint every band of that era with the same brush but the music I have heard from that time has not been anywhere near as good as later stuff.

Still just the bands that thrown around. There was more to the punk scene than those guys. I still say you haven't heard enough.

And I disagree on the Ramones being like Pistols. I know they're pretty much a basic 4 chord punk band but they do it so well, which the Pistols just don't.

I didn't say they were the same. They weren't. I said they were both dead simple and musically limited.
  • BanjoMan 15 Feb 2010 13:57:32 13,730 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The best thing about the Ramones was Dee Dee shouting '1-2-3-4' at the start of every song.

• FWB 15 Feb 2010 13:58:20 41,916 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They thought they were playing "bubble gum pop".
  • Spanky 15 Feb 2010 13:59:09 14,448 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Anyway, like I said before this trumped it all.
    \o/ I prefer Preachin the Blues though :D Preach the blues!!! Wooooo + Spaz out!

Plubs

• Page

of 9 First / Last