Donald Trump, first orange US President Page 777

• Page

of 816 First / Last

• DrStrangelove 3 Oct 2017 00:57:04 11,191 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    riceNpea wrote:
    @DrStrangelove because he's an arsehole and the 'retarded' people I've met have all been nice.
    Yes, I see your point. I'd never call these people 'retarded'. I do think Trump is literally retarded in the sense that his mental development has apparently stopped at some point in early childhood, but of course there's context to that word, and out of respect for these people I'll try to refrain from using the word altogether in the future.
  • Salaman 3 Oct 2017 09:29:58 22,827 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I will never give that man the benefit of the doubt, if he really cared he wouldn't have cosied upto the nra nor would he have shown his utter disregard for the people of Puerto Rico. Also he wouldn't regularly call for violence against protestors or fail to denounce white supremacists. The guy was most likely dumbfounded the shooter wasn't brown and actually got stuck for a response. Fuck that guy.
    Mr. President, following the shooting in Las Vegas, you tweeted your 'wartmest condolences'

Let me just interrupt you right there. I have been condoling people for many years now, many years. My father he was a man who big man, warm man. Great man. And I have been for many years condoling. People call me all the time and they say 'Donald, you condole so great. You're the greatest condoler'.
    So yeah that's where I come in and I believe the people need a message of warmth. They were running for their lives you know? Just good, decent wholesome white people enjoying a country music concert and then suddenly they're running for their lives. Can you imagine that? So yeah what they want at this scary point is warmth and I offered them that with my condolences.
    The best condolences. People tell me all the time, how great it was of me to condole them. They were running for their lives you know? That's terrible. Terrible. Very sad. But I condoled them and I condoled them warmly and they thank me for it. They thank me all the time.

Edited by Salaman at 09:44:24 03-10-2017
  • Psychotext 3 Oct 2017 09:41:08 62,028 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You know, that's realistic enough that I was considering seeing if I could find the interview.
  • challenge_hanukkah 3 Oct 2017 11:38:47 5,235 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It sure makes me want to condole. Condole hard.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Oct 2017 12:04:31 3,396 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That was scarily on point. Top marks. I even imagined him doing that pinch thing with his thumb and index finger when he speaks.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 12:05:55 03-10-2017
  • LittleSparra 3 Oct 2017 12:12:01 7,017 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It was Coney Island, they called Coney Island the playground of the world. There was no place like it, in the whole world, like Coney Island when I was a youngster. No place in the world like it, and it was so fabulous. Now it's shrunk down to almost nothing...you see. And, uh, I still remember in my mind how things used to be, and...uh, you know, I feel very bad. But people from all over the world came here...from all over the world...it was the playground they called it the playground of the world...over here. Anyways, you see, I...uh...you know...I even got, when I was very small, I even got lost at Coney Island, but they found me...on the...on the beach. And we used to sleep on the beach here, sleep overnight..they don't do that anymore. Things changed...you see.

They don't sleep anymore on the beach.
    Edited by LittleSparra at 12:12:19 03-10-2017
  • shamblemonkee 3 Oct 2017 12:21:09 17,663 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can't even tell what's parody at this point
  • JamboWayOh 3 Oct 2017 12:35:16 3,396 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All that's missing from that quote is a line about wearing an onion on your belt because it was the style at the time.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Oct 2017 12:35:47 16,349 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I know that quote from a GY!BE track, but don't know who actually said it.
  • LittleSparra 3 Oct 2017 12:38:54 7,017 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Murray Ostril. What Trump would sound like if he had a soul and the ego of a normal person. Old, tired, nostalgic, confused.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Oct 2017 12:39:58 16,349 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I was going to say. Definitely wasn't Trump.

Fuck I loved that track. Going to listen to it now.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 3 Oct 2017 17:16:10 9,891 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Speaking to reporters as he was about to board the presidential helicopter, Mr Trump said Paddock was "a sick man, a demented man. Lot of problems, I guess, and we're looking into him very, very seriously".
    I'm hoping that what Trump is saying here is literally that he was a mentally unwell man suffering from dementia. In which case fine. But if not it's deeply inappropriate language for a President to be using.

I realise on the scale of thins that Trump is doing wrong, further demonisation of mental health issues is relatively minor, but still.

It is amazing to me how many of his problems could be solved by simply working with a good writer on his speeches and tweets.
  • Rivuzu 3 Oct 2017 17:23:14 16,622 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hooray, more chastising of the mentally ill. Who had that on their bingo card?
  • DreadedWalrus 3 Oct 2017 17:35:59 1,568 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trump continues to go name various cabinet members and administration officials around the room.

He sees Mick Mulvaney, the White House budget chief. “Mick is in charge of a thing called the budget,” the president says.

“I hate to tell you, Puerto Rico, but you’ve thrown our budget a little out of whack,” he says, “because we’ve spent a lot of money on Puerto Rico and that’s fine.

“That’s fine because we’ve saved a lot of lives,” he continues.

“Every death is a horror but if you look at a major catastrophe like Katrina and the hundreds and hundreds of people who died,” he says, alluding to the 2005 catastrophe during and after which 1,833 people died.

“And you look at a storm like this which was really overpowering,” he continues, asking the governor what the current death toll on the island is. Rossello says 16 people were confirmed killed; officials have repeatedly said they expect the toll to rise.

“You can be very proud, only sixteen instead of thousands in Katrina,” the president says.
    Stop it. Just stop talking.
  • Rivuzu 3 Oct 2017 17:44:28 16,622 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Literally cannot make that up. Fucking lol.
  • DreadedWalrus 3 Oct 2017 17:45:51 1,568 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Those inconsiderate Puerto Ricans. Didn't they think about the US budget before they selfishly got hit by the storm?
  • spamdangled 3 Oct 2017 17:45:59 30,995 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Omg. Pride that 16 people are dead.

Jesus wept.
  • Skirlasvoud 3 Oct 2017 17:50:17 2,949 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    It is amazing to me how many of his problems could be solved by simply working with a good writer on his speeches and tweets.
    But he has the best words! He went to a very good university you know!

As an aside: I'm kinda shocked the Las Vegas shooting caused more deaths than the hurricane.
  • DreadedWalrus 3 Oct 2017 17:51:21 1,568 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's like he genuinely doesn't know how to portray empathy. He knows that you're meant to show people that you care, but he never quite learned how to do so. First he sends his "warmest condolences" to the families of the Vegas victims, and now he tells Puerto Rico (the entire island, apparently), that they "can be very proud" of the deaths of 16 fellow citizens.

Edited by DreadedWalrus at 17:51:55 03-10-2017
  • RobAnybody 3 Oct 2017 17:52:51 1,489 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Puerto Rico mayor invited to take part in White House conference call on hurricane disaster effort - but told she could not speak:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/san-juan-mayor-silenced-white-house-hurricane-maria-emergency-relief-puerto-rico-a7979856.html
  • reviewer 3 Oct 2017 18:23:32 4,747 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Technically the 16 might be correct as a direct result but it's potentially hundreds as a result of no power or supplies to hospitals which are reporting bodies piling up.

The man is scum.
  • Tuffty 3 Oct 2017 18:27:07 4,025 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does Trump even know the relief effort is still ongoing and thousands are left stranded? Seriously? Why else would he say this?
  • DreadedWalrus 3 Oct 2017 21:44:49 1,568 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The BBC now have an article up about it:

Puerto Rico: Trump compares Maria and Katrina deaths

I've said it before, but to me, the BBC's neutral tone in portraying his quotes if anything tends to make his comments worse:

President Donald Trump has told Puerto Rico officials they should be "proud" they did not lose thousands of lives as in "a real catastrophe like Katrina".

Mr Trump also said the storm-ravaged US territory had thrown the American budget "a little out of whack".

Before landing on the island, Mr Trump graded his administration's response to Hurricane Maria as an "A plus".
    Just think. Tomorrow he's going to Vegas, and he'll be speaking without a script there too.
  • riceNpea 3 Oct 2017 22:13:11 928 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He can't be this stupid.....it has to be an act, a set-up...there has to be a reason....what is he?....
  • FuzzyDucky 4 Oct 2017 00:13:36 2,581 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm convinced it's the most bigly comedy act in history and all the world is indeed a stage.
  • DreadedWalrus 4 Oct 2017 03:16:37 1,568 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Holy fuck. I thought maybe it just sounded bad out of context, and maybe hearing it in context would sound better. But now I've seen the video it's actually worse. The full video is embedded here, along with a (quickly-written, so with minor inaccuracies") transcript.

The "real catastrophe" bit isn't as bad as it might come across in text. Like, he didn't emphasise the "real" bit like you might assume, as though to really emphasise that this wasn't a "real" catastrophe. But the stuff about being "proud" was actually worse than it seemed.

Mick Mulvaney is here, and Mick is in charge of a thing called budget. I hate to tell you, Puerto Rico, but you are throwing our budget out of whack. We spent a lot of money on Puerto Rico, and that's fine. We saved a lot of lives. If you look at the — every death is a horror, but if you look at a real catastrophe like Katrina and you look at the tremendous hundreds and hundreds of people that died and what happened here with a storm that was just totally overbearing. No one has ever seen anything like that. What is your death count?

PUERTO RICO GOV. RICARDO ROSSELLÓ: Sixteen.

TRUMP: Sixteen people certified. Sixteen people versus in the thousands. You can be very proud of all of your people and all of our people working together. Sixteen versus literally thousands of people. You can be very proud. Everyone around this table and everyone watching can be very proud of what's taking place in Puerto Rico.
    I like how he uses the word "tremendous" to describe the number of people who died from Katrina. Which, yeah, "tremendous" doesn't solely mean "excellent", but it has that connotation. Same as if he'd said "fantastic" or "amazing" or something. Pick a different word for once.

Elsewhere in the discussion that was apparently meant to be an update on the situation in Puerto Rico, he praises Linda McMahon for setting up a great company (WWE) with her husband Vince McMahon. Oh, and he spends a while praising a fighter jet that the Air Force has access to, then talking about how he's spending "hundreds of millions of dollars" on buying more of them, minutes after complaining about Puerto Rico "throwing our budget a little out of whack". But don't despair, he says that that was after he managed to cut a deal to lower the price of that fighter jet, which he then says "other administrations" would not have been able to do.

Seriously, when this guy doesn't have a script, he says such fucking horrible shit.
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Oct 2017 07:24:54 12,993 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @riceNpea

He is most certainly that stupid. He is not like Boris who hams it up for the camera. Trump is simply a full blown idiot.
  • Jono62 4 Oct 2017 08:29:54 18,356 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/915423771028271104
  • challenge_hanukkah 4 Oct 2017 08:46:17 5,235 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DreadedWalrus

It's like he's been on a really shitty customer service training course and really taken the 'only use positive language' bit really to heart.
  • Page

of 816 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.