Demons Souls - PS4 Page 2

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Rivuzu 30 Nov 2015 19:04:31 16,715 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @quadfather it was pretty shit. Combat was too generous, dull environment, cookie cutter fantasy setting. Very signposted too.

If Soulsborne = Lego, Lords of the Fallen = mega blocks. From poundland. Covered in pubes.

Edited by Rivuzu at 19:04:42 30-11-2015
  • Furtive_Pygmy 30 Nov 2015 19:12:58 6,435 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Rivuzu wrote:
    Which was shit.
    Was it actually 'shit' or just not as good as souls?

Actually, I should know. I borrowed it off wunty for a few months.

Didn't actually fire it up.
    It is actually a bit shit.

The Souls series peaked at Dark Souls for me, which I spent an ungodly amount of time on, across PS3 and PC. (mostly PS3).

Completed DS 2 and all the DLC, it was ok but a bit of a mess in terms of focus, like the team were trying hard to impress Miyazaki but getting it all wrong.

I played the DS3 beta and it was good, but I just didn't have much enthusiasm to play it, felt like Bloodborne with shields, and I'm not sure that's a good thing. I will of course buy it but like I said I think the first Dark Souls was the magical one of the series.

Edited by Furtive_Pygmy at 19:21:01 30-11-2015
  • quadfather 30 Nov 2015 19:17:04 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    Which was shit.

• quadfather 30 Nov 2015 19:18:14 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry, I've gone and done a booboo again.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2015 19:23:03
    I've loved them all but the original is still the standout for me. I'd never played a game like it. I happened to come across demons by chance as well. I was bored and after a particular kind of game and demons kept cropping up on people's lists. A quick YouTube later and I'd ordered it online.

I've just never felt such a mix of emotions in any game before. The feeling of dread was something a video game had never given me before. Encountering and getting my ass kicked by my first blue and red eyed knight was immense. Hell I remember being stuck on flame lurker for what felt like weeks before I downed him and that was a big punch the air moment followed by an even bigger FUCK YOU!! at the tv :)

Shrine of souls and Tower of Latria are 2 of my favourite levels in any game.

Don't get me wrong dark souls is immense as well and they certainly improved on the formula tenfold but Des always will be number 1.
  • Malek86 30 Nov 2015 19:23:18 6,441 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

Ok, so let's say you have Dark Souls, okay? And you know how people like the bosses in Dark Souls?

Now make the bosses more predictable while increasing their health tenfold, so that each battle takes 30 minutes of just chipping away at their health, with long attacks that only show one opening before you need to back up, and wait for that opening again.

This is Lords of the Fallen.

On the plus side, it has a real cool exp multiplier mechanic that kicks off if you don't use recovery points, encouraging you to avoid recovering your health (you can still use them to save the game with no penalty), making each life a difficult choice between playing it safe and gambling for more exp, but risking to lose it all if you die and can't return to your body.

That would be really cool to have in a Souls game, actually.

Edited by Malek86 at 19:24:38 30-11-2015
  • quadfather 30 Nov 2015 19:26:32 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hm sounds like they tried to implement a souls-type mechanic but overall the game sounds fairly generic from what I'm hearing.

And wunty, demons is the best - I keep fucking telling you but you never listen you buffoon
  • Furtive_Pygmy 30 Nov 2015 19:28:09 6,435 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @addyb

Demon's is a close second for me. I love myself for importing the Korean version before the Souls games became "a thing", very fond memories of playing it for the first time, as you said there really was nothing like it.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2015 19:36:56
    quadfather wrote:
    Hm sounds like they tried to implement a souls-type mechanic but overall the game sounds fairly generic from what I'm hearing.

And wunty, demons is the best - I keep fucking telling you but you never listen you buffoon

They even admitted they took souls as their inspiration. The reason I'm not slating it more is because it's a small dev team and as far as I'm aware their first game so for that Lords isn't a bad effort. In comparison to souls yes it is shit but if those didn't exist I'd wager people would maybe think a bit more of it. But as mentioned monotonous boss battles and overall game world and story needed a lot of work. Be interested to see if they make any progress with the sequel.
  • wuntyphyve 30 Nov 2015 19:43:32 9,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather you didn't miss anything never firing it up man. I stuck with it to the penultimate boss and it was all a bit meh. Nice soundtrack and visuals and it wasn't terrible, just pales in comparison.

I would take a demons remaster but i don't see it to be honest
  • sport 30 Nov 2015 20:07:02 14,034 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's been confirmed now.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 30 Nov 2015 20:11:10 6,435 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wish people would put a link when they say stuff like that.
  • sport 30 Nov 2015 20:13:21 14,034 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sorry I meant say it might be confirmed.

Eventually.

Maybe.
  • Boriska 30 Nov 2015 20:29:46 428 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    From shutting up shop on Dark Souls confirms their excellence to me.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 30 Nov 2015 20:34:49 6,435 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah they definitely need to stop after DS3 so fair play to them.

I want to see something completely new.
  • Fonzie 30 Nov 2015 23:06:20 3,073 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @GoingNowWhere

Not me, I still haven't had enough demons or dark, never mind getting my lazy arse to sort ds2 and bb out
    If you ever need any help on DS2, let me know.
  • wuntyphyve 1 Dec 2015 07:52:29 9,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Fonzie have you got it for ps4 by chance?

\needs help
  • Fonzie 1 Dec 2015 07:59:25 3,073 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    @Fonzie have you got it for ps4 by chance?

\needs help
    Sorry, PS3 only. Buying PS4 this month some time so will probably get a PS4 copy.
  • wuntyphyve 1 Dec 2015 08:37:07 9,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Fonzie Damn! One day I'll finish the DLC...
  • quadfather 1 Dec 2015 10:01:14 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can't even remember what platform i have it on
  • robc84 1 Dec 2015 10:17:25 11,991 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @quadfather

Even I know you have it on ps3 ;-)

Dan and I once tried to help you.....
  • sport 1 Dec 2015 11:19:37 14,034 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Been confirmed now.
  • quadfather 1 Dec 2015 11:47:28 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    @quadfather

Even I know you have it on ps3 ;-)

Dan and I once tried to help you.....
    Lol

I think I have it on the PC too

Ffs
  • SomaticSense 1 Dec 2015 12:44:16 15,110 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    addyb wrote:
    I've loved them all but the original is still the standout for me. I'd never played a game like it. I happened to come across demons by chance as well. I was bored and after a particular kind of game and demons kept cropping up on people's lists. A quick YouTube later and I'd ordered it online.
    Pretty much how it was with me, except with Dark Souls.

I was enjoying gaming still, but it had lost a lot of it's lustre. I'd still rather play a game than watch TV or a film, but I was often finding myself zoning out for extended periods rather than engaging fully with the game. I'd heard people talk about Demon's, in fact I loved reading people's escapades and struggles in the EG thread, but I didn't think it would be one for me. That changed during one moment in Skyrim.

I was having one of those zoned out moments while travelling towards Dragonreach Bridge (?), when a bandit chief who was way above my level started chasing me. At that point Skyrim's shitty combat took a backseat and it became reminiscent of the Demon's thread stories of fighting for survival against red-eyed knights. I fucking loved it. In that short moment the adrenaline rush shook me out of my gaming apathy, and I was hungry for more. Switching to higher difficulties in other games never came close to satisfying my urges, it had to be expertly designed around the struggle against the challenge, that fight for survival. No game was able to nail it for anything more than a fleeting moment.

So I started watching Youtube playthroughs of Dark Souls to see others struggling through it. Before long I was choosing to spend my spare time watching them rather than actually playing, which was crazy to me. So I chose to take a chance and buy it along with a PS3, knowing I'd eventually want to try Demon's. It's not since I was a kid have I adored a game so much. Sometimes it made me feel like I was shit, others like I was a gaming god. No other gaming experience of that time compared. I bought Demon's and loved it too.

So in short, make this happen please Sony! And do Dark too while you're at it :)
  • Fonzie 1 Dec 2015 12:52:30 3,073 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

You can do it. If I can do it, I'm sure you can. Which bit you having trouble with?
  • Malek86 1 Dec 2015 13:44:33 6,441 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I do have a special spot for Demon's Souls because, like many others I think, it was the first time playing something like that. But looking at it after playing Dark Souls 1 and 2, there are some obvious issues there.

The game is needlessly obscure several times (did anyone really get world tendency without checking it up?), the bosses are usually too hard or too easy, the lack of multiple paths like Dark Souls makes the repetition far more noticeable after dying just a few times, and many areas feel like they kill you just for the sake of killing you, rather than wanting you learn from your mistakes. And let's face it, many of the levels just aren't very fun to even get through. Area 2, 4 and 5 spring to mind.

However, it does still have the most interesting setting in the series, and of course it was a new thing at the time, so I'm not surprised that people were more impressed by it. Also it's at least somewhat even in its pacing, while Dark Souls was great in the first half but sucked in the second half.

When I first bought it, back when people still didn't even know it would be localized, I thought it was fun, but not really enough to make me buy Dark Souls at launch. Strangely, at the time one of my criticisms was "it's too repetitive having to kill the same enemies all over again when you die", because I compared it to a roguelike, and in that regard I thought it was a bad idea not shuffling the enemies after each death.
  • Rivuzu 1 Dec 2015 13:45:47 16,715 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Only thing I can really recall about Demons is having to look online to find out which fucking NPC to speak to, only to find out it was the bald twat on the upper rings.

I mean, come on. Needlessly obscure.
  • wuntyphyve 1 Dec 2015 13:58:21 9,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Fonzie Sinh. Fume knight. Bastards!

Most of the dlc bosses are double hard bastards though. Only ones I've managed ever are Alva and Elanah. They were bastards as well!
  • dominalien 1 Dec 2015 13:58:25 8,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Exploration
    x
    p
    l
    o
    r
    a
    t
    i
    o
    n

Edit: @Rivuzu

Edited by dominalien at 13:58:51 01-12-2015
  • SomaticSense 1 Dec 2015 13:58:49 15,110 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rivuzu

The Monumental? I had to do the same as I was convinced my game was bugged :)

But no, that came later when I was unable to finish the game, despite beating all the bosses, because of that goddamn Dragon God bug.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.