Boiling Point

• Page

of 19 First / Last

Previous
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 May 2005 13:19:40 39,000 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    There was an old thread that at the time sparked my interest in the game, but I just can't find it, I don't think it had the game's name in its title. Anyone able to find it? I'll delete this one then. Heh. :p

The game's a GTA/FPS/RPG hybrid kind of thing-

Edited by UncleLou at 13:20:00 04-05-2005
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 May 2005 13:48:36 39,000 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Post deleted
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 May 2005 13:48:55 39,000 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    The only thread I could find was here... :)

/clicks link
    /clicks link

This will keep me busy for hours!

Cheers anyway. :)
  • Mike_Hunt 4 May 2005 14:22:17 23,524 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Interesting looking game. I like the idea of mixing a FPS with an RTS, and this game sounds *houyooge*. However, I'm more than a little concerned about the "Commando" like story line. How on earth are they going to be able to spread that out over 200missions and hours of gameplay? Deus Ex worked because of it's unfolding plot, but in Bolling Point it's already pretty obvious what's going on. Nasty man take hero's kid. Hero kills nasty man and rescues kid. That could get quite dull quite quickly.

Of course, I'm unfairly juding a game that I've not seen, but it is still a concern. That said, they've thrown in a few cool ideas into the mix, such as alcohol and medicine being addictive (good plan), and are providing a wide variety of vehicles (which you need to fill up at petrol stations).

Definitely one to watch.

[MH]
  • Tiger_Walts 4 May 2005 14:25:40 16,674 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    /smashes jar of bees at Mike's feet

HA HA HA HA!
  • pjmaybe 4 May 2005 14:26:59 70,666 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Demo later this week, according to Avault.

Peej
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 May 2005 14:28:37 39,000 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    but in Bolling Point it's already pretty obvious what's going on. Nasty man take hero's kid. Hero kills nasty man and rescues kid. That could get quite dull quite quickly.

It's the old problem - either you have a good, focussed storyline, or a very non-linear gameplay environment. To be honest, I wouldn't care very much if the story is shit if the open approach of the game works, but of course there's plenty of potential for the game to be a complete turd either way. :)
  • Mike_Hunt 4 May 2005 14:31:07 23,524 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    /smashes jar of bees at Mike's feet

HA HA HA HA!
    ?

[MH]
  • Mike_Hunt 4 May 2005 14:32:22 23,524 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    but in Bolling Point it's already pretty obvious what's going on. Nasty man take hero's kid. Hero kills nasty man and rescues kid. That could get quite dull quite quickly.

It's the old problem - either you have a good, focussed storyline, or a very non-linear gameplay environment. To be honest, I wouldn't care very much if the story is shit if the open approach of the game works, but of course there's plenty of potential for the game to be a complete turd either way. :)
    I know. Normally I agree, Doom 3, no deep story but still a great game. However, this game is trying to pack in hundreds of hours of gameplay, so I think a decent, evolving storyline is critical if they want people to remain interested.

[MH]
  • Tiger_Walts 4 May 2005 14:35:50 16,674 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    One of the weapons in the game is a jar full of bees. You can throw it at people and the angry bees make a good distraction or even offensive weapon.
  • Mike_Hunt 4 May 2005 15:05:01 23,524 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    One of the weapons in the game is a jar full of bees. You can throw it at people and the angry bees make a good distraction or even offensive weapon.
    Ah.

/avoids game

[MH]
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 May 2005 15:41:11 39,000 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Um, the weapon is not a glass full of bees, but a glass full of jam. The jam, applied to a thug, will attract bees. :)

Some interesting videos here
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 May 2005 11:35:52 39,000 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's in the shops here.

No review or in-depth preview to be found anywhere though. Gah.
  • pjmaybe 18 May 2005 11:36:47 70,666 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    G'wan Lou you know you want to review it for Gametards!

Peej
  • Tiger_Walts 18 May 2005 11:50:13 16,674 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fini is getting me this from her cut price store opening for me. :)

She has also kindly sourced me a 2nd copy of Frequency.

:D
  • Whizzo 18 May 2005 11:58:24 44,763 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think the last PC Zone preview (last issue IIRC) said it was promising but needed a lot of work, especially the combat.

As it's been shoved out with no fanfare I think caveat emptor would be wise.
  • Salaman 18 May 2005 13:04:36 22,917 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    It's in the shops here.

No review or in-depth preview to be found anywhere though. Gah.

Go buy it Lou, let us know what you think.
    I mean you do have attained "Scout" rank lately, right?

So go scout already will you!?
  • MikeD 18 May 2005 13:06:01 10,063 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's in the shops? But this was supposed to be the big stalker rival, right?

oh dear.
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 May 2005 13:15:36 39,000 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    MikeD wrote:
    It's in the shops? But this was supposed to be the big stalker rival, right?

oh dear.

"Oh Dear" because Stalker isn't out yet, or "oh dear" because Boiling Point is out already? :)

Not heard it ever mentioned as being a Stalker rival, but that's probably because I haven't heard much about BP at all. They do sound similar though, of course.
  • Salaman 18 May 2005 13:19:18 22,917 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Funny .. after I posted my last coment to Lou, I went to the E3 site to try and find if there's any news on Stalker from E3.
  • Salaman 18 May 2005 13:23:06 22,917 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • marilena 18 May 2005 13:23:08 8,219 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    "Oh Dear" because Stalker isn't out yet, or "oh dear" because Boiling Point is out already? :)

I think it's "oh dear" as in "game released without anyone paying attention, that's a bad thing". My rule is: if it's available and there is no review to be found, it's crap.

But do buy it and tell us about it. You're a lawyer, right? You've got tons of money!

:)
  • MikeD 18 May 2005 13:27:49 10,063 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:

Not heard it ever mentioned as being a Stalker rival, but that's probably because I haven't heard much about BP at all. They do sound similar though, of course.

Oh dear because it's been released with a minimum of attention.

That usually doesn't bode too well for the quality. Though i'm eagerly awaiting your assesment. :-)

Eehhm, as marilena just said, is ee.

Still posting this though :-)
  • Whizzo 18 May 2005 13:29:20 44,763 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Boiling Point's premise is quite promising; large jungle based area, vehicles, Deus Ex like RPG elements and it could be good but it looks like it's been shoved out the door early.

PC Zone's most recent preview is here
    if the link works and I link to the correct story...

Edited by Whizzo at 13:30:29 18-05-2005
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 May 2005 13:40:22 39,000 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    marilena wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:

I think it's "oh dear" as in "game released without anyone paying attention, that's a bad thing". My rule is: if it's available and there is no review to be found, it's crap.

But do buy it and tell us about it. You're a lawyer, right? You've got tons of money!

:)

In all fairness though, it has never been hyped at all. I learned about the game from a forum thread here, so at least it's not a case of "hype it up and then stealth-release it". Whether this means they knew from the beginning it would be crap I don't know though. ;)

Graphics are a bit basic, so it's not easy to hype it I guess.

Still, with the E3 and all, I could imagine this might also be a factor why there is no review yet.

/ponders
  • pjmaybe 18 May 2005 13:41:15 70,666 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It has a bit of a "Soldner" vibe about it.

I think I'd be waiting for a demo. No demo yet?

Peej
  • Whizzo 18 May 2005 13:45:10 44,763 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    "ZOLDNER!"

It could be good but no reviews and it's "Atari" releasing it doesn't fill me with hope.

Basic graphics but a fully realised world doesn't bother me but stealth releases do.

/still waiting for a version of Gaia to make it into the Anglophone world...
  • MikeD 18 May 2005 13:46:42 10,063 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    In all fairness though, it has never been hyped at all. I learned about the game from a forum thread here, so at least it's not a case of "hype it up and then stealth-release it". Whether this means they knew from the beginning it would be crap I don't know though. ;)

On my dutch gaming news site there were quite a few news articles for it these last few months and enthusiasm of the readers.
  • pjmaybe 18 May 2005 13:54:21 70,666 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    New trailer I hadn't seen before

Peej
  • pjmaybe 18 May 2005 14:04:38 70,666 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Aye but that chick's got the saggiest pair of paps I've seen in...

Oh I dunno, when was the last time Germaine Greer was on telly.

Peej
  • Page

of 19 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.