Good Stand-Up Comedians Page 4

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Chopsen 5 Oct 2006 09:41:17 15,188 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I watched an old Eddie Izzard DVD the other day.

Used to think he was amazing, but watching it again and it just seemed....dated.

Agree Bill Bailey. Saw him live last year or so and he was excellent.
  • Pike 5 Oct 2006 09:48:27 13,431 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Am I missing something, or is there really a criminal lack of Sarah Silverman in this thread?

Edited by Pike at 09:48:36 05-10-2006
  • Machiavel 5 Oct 2006 10:13:53 5,964 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ack, practically all of the comedians mentioned would be queuing up to watch Stewart Lee. Highly respected in the circle.
  • Phreedh 5 Oct 2006 11:09:26 683 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Agree on that Chopsen... some Izzard stuff ain't that good and feels a bit Ye Olde Comedye, but I've got a few DVDs which are awesome.

Alcatraaaaz!

Also, Pablo Francisco hasn't been mentioned. Some of his bits are awesome!

Edited by Phreedh at 11:09:54 05-10-2006
  • SpeedyThing 5 Oct 2006 11:49:20 96 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lots of good ones mentioned here but so far Ross Noble seems to have been ommitted. Well worth checking out
  • pjmaybe 5 Oct 2006 11:50:01 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Harry Hill - fucking ace stand up. Even if he did pick me out for being a baldy. Cheeky twat.

Peej
  • The_Aardvark 5 Oct 2006 13:00:33 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Josie Long, this year's Perrier winner is brilliant in a cute, indie kind of way. And I saw Daniel Kitson the other week who made me literally cry with laughter - and almost got the gig pulled by climbing up the lighting rig at the Hackney Empire. It's true, comedi is the new rock and roll.
  • w00t 5 Oct 2006 13:28:00 10,985 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't find any mention of Chris Rock or Rob Newman in the thread so far...

But additional reccomendations for Bill Hicks, Bill Bailey, Eddie Izzard, Richard Pryor, Jack Dee, early Robin Williams, Billy Connolly and Stewart Lee.

They're my favourites.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Tezzer 5 Oct 2006 14:06:37 144 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lewis Black and Alan Carr are amazin!!!
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,291 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In no particular order:

Eddie Izzard
    Mark Steel
    Bill Hicks
    Billy Connolly
    Bill Bailey
    Frank Skinner

It's a bit sad that I haven't come up with anyone not mentioned already by someone else, but this lot are all capable of making me piss myself with laughter. Harry Hill has his moments but I can't forgive him for taking on that moron as a sidekick, ruined it for me. Jack Dee is pretty good. Emo Philips is sooooooooooo annoying and yet quite funny.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Frank Skinner. I saw him live a few times in the mid 90s and thought he was incredibly good. Don't forget I've been out of the country for ten years so I've missed the whole chat show thing.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In re Bill Hicks. I nabbed an old interview with him done by some monkeys on Scottish radio in 1992. It's painfully amusing. I can't quite work out whether they're being clever or whether they really are that stupid. Asking him, for example, if he likes Disney. o_O Or whether the Fergie toe-sucking story is big news in the US.

You can imagine how he reacts to that.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think Bill Hicks' stuff in the US is *much* edgier and loads better than his stuff recorded in the UK. He thrives off the hostility of the US audience - he's 100% American himself. All his energy and aggression comes from his relationship with America. If you listen to Rant in E Minor next to Relentless you can see what I mean. His abuse of patriotic hecklers - wow it makes you want to hide behind your chair! His handling the issue of abortion - my God! Compared to that to his stuff in the UK (which also suffers from being recorded in front of a huge West End audience so it lacks in intimacy) is relatively tame. His stuff on the Gulf War and Bush Sr is acidic but fairly uncontroversial. He only really gets into his stride on advertising which I suppose is a universal theme and applies as much in the UK as the US. LOL at his reaction to being invited to do a UK TV ad for orange squash. :D

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• cubbymoore 29 Jun 2008 21:17:46 36,443 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okay, I know some of these have been discussed in this thread but here goes:

Mitch Hedberg, hadn't heard of him until two weeks ago, now I've listened and watched everything of his that's available, including some radio interviews he did. This guy has such a brilliant way of delivering his lines, absolute shame the guy died he could've been huge.

Stewart Lee, starting to find his way back to the mainstream I'm finding, but some of his best work is definitely when he had hardly any following at all. I saw him in march and it was a surprisingly large venue for him, but still had us all eating out of the palm of his hand.

Greg Fleet, warmed up for Stewart Lee and his stories are hilarious. I saw him less of a stand up and more of a really funny guy who may as well be your mate. He absolutely loved me as I was cracking up in the front row, gave me a thumbs up as he left the stage.

Doug Stanhope, the man people like to say carries on Bill Hicks' torch. Absolutely doesn't give a fuck at all when he's on stage, he'll be verging on incoherence he's drunk so much, but what he has to say is so dead on you take all of his vices and just accept it, because otherwise you're going to miss out on a very sharp mind at work. Has been known to take e tablets whilst on stage as well. I think he's doing a uk tour this year for the first time.

Demetri Martin, king of the one liner, very sharp very clever, and yet very aware of his own shortcomings, despite being one hell of a talented performer. On my list to see live asap. Has had jokes stolen by Dane Cook, but Demetri does them better.
  • armyourfists 29 Jun 2008 21:21:35 917 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stewart Lee is absolutely awesome.
  • StringBeanJean 29 Jun 2008 22:30:41 1,775 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was going through this thread and thinking 'what about Stewart Lee?' and there we go, the last two posts. Definitely my fave comedian. Finally got to see him round Xmas and he was great. He's coming back to public recognition now but he's still an acquired taste I guess. The way he can go three of four minutes without going for a laugh I think is incredibly brave for a stand up.
  • Shinji 29 Jun 2008 22:43:32 5,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Doug Stanhope, the man people like to say carries on Bill Hicks' torch. Absolutely doesn't give a fuck at all when he's on stage, he'll be verging on incoherence he's drunk so much, but what he has to say is so dead on you take all of his vices and just accept it, because otherwise you're going to miss out on a very sharp mind at work. Has been known to take e tablets whilst on stage as well. I think he's doing a uk tour this year for the first time.

He's done the UK before - Edinburgh and London at least, I saw him in London about two years ago. Fucking brilliant. He's back in September and I can't wait, seriously thinking about booking multiple tickets since his shows are never the same twice. A bit like a more drunken, disheveled, obnoxious version of Ross Noble, strangely.
  • cubbymoore 29 Jun 2008 22:47:40 36,443 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @stringbeanjean

Yeah he's definitely the one who's inspired my own stand up the most, and people have said that my comedy is an acquired taste too. In fact my comedy mentor has told me that I should be prepared to find that not everyone will like me as a result, but I like that personally. I sometimes go out of my way to make things difficult for the audience but they seem to love it. Goes to show you should never underestimate your audience I guess.*

*but don't get too arrogant at the same time :)
  • macksed 29 Jun 2008 22:48:24 3,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Russell Howard(s?)!!!
  • cubbymoore 29 Jun 2008 22:49:26 36,443 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shinji wrote:

He's done the UK before - Edinburgh and London at least, I saw him in London about two years ago. Fucking brilliant. He's back in September and I can't wait, seriously thinking about booking multiple tickets since his shows are never the same twice. A bit like a more drunken, disheveled, obnoxious version of Ross Noble, strangely.
    Yeah I'd heard that, but I think this is his first nationwide. Should be very interesting.
  • Deleted user 29 June 2008 22:49:38
    Pablo Francisco is good, mostly because his repertoire is wider than the Youtube videos suggest.
  • Lukus 29 Jun 2008 22:51:26 18,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've not seen as much stand up as I would like, but I saw Rich Hall a couple of months ago and he was extremely funny. Recommended.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 29 June 2008 23:05:19
    LIST TIME

Stewart Lee, obviously. His 90s Comedian act is absolutely brilliant at the end, and live he is fantastic. He's pretty much untouchable as far as I'm concerned.

Richard Herrin - He does a podcast with Andrew Collings on itunes. It's very funny. Used to be Stewart lee's comedy partner. They where almost as popular and good as Hale and Pace in their prime. Some youtoob links: here, and here, this is ace, too. His later stuff is really good, too. They both tackle similar things, but in different ways and elevate comedy into art.

Daniel Kitson - mentioned before, but he manages to be profane and heartwrenching and beautiful and fucking funny all at once. He is absolutely sublime. It's not just funny. It's touching and true and evocative.

Josie Long - She's a fucking LOVELY person. Some people hate her, but she is really cool and uncynical and makes everyone feel part of what she's doing. See her live. You get to make cartoons!
  • cubbymoore 29 Jun 2008 23:15:33 36,443 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ooh, Simon Munnery as well, he compère'd one of the nights I performed and he turns comedy into an artform like no-one else I've seen. Really experimental stuff. He did a bit where he told us to imagine he was talking to an avocado for nearly ten minutes straight before delivering the punchline to the whole skit. Very very brave stuff especially considering the venue, but everyone went along with it.

Oh and he did all that off mike as well.
  • Lukus 29 Jun 2008 23:18:59 18,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Who's that nob who about a year ago regularly appeared on comedy panel shows? He was young with fair hair and not at all funny. Yet seemingly constantly employed. I've forgotten his name. I hate him.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 29 June 2008 23:19:27
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Ooh, Simon Munnery as well, he compère'd one of the nights I performed and he turns comedy into an artform like no-one else I've seen. Really experimental stuff. He did a bit where he told us to imagine he was talking to an avocado for nearly ten minutes straight before delivering the punchline to the whole skit. Very very brave stuff especially considering the venue, but everyone went along with it.

Oh and he did all that off mike as well.

He's fucking ace. I love his skit "after the main protagonist has left". EDIT : it's here

His DVD that he's got out at the moment. It's really good. It's on the same label that Richard Herrin and Stewart Lees release DVDs on Go Faster Stripe

I've got to add Tony Law, too. He's really funny and cool.
  • cubbymoore 29 Jun 2008 23:22:21 36,443 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Who's that nob who about a year ago regularly appeared on comedy panel shows? He was young with fair hair and not at all funny. Yet seemingly constantly employed. I've forgotten his name. I hate him.
    Russell Howard?

I've seen him do a warm up act years ago before he got on tv and I really liked him, I'm guessing he's not very good at coming up with funny stuff off the top of his head as I've been a bit disappointed by him as well.
  • Lukus 29 Jun 2008 23:36:40 18,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    Russell Howard?

I've seen him do a warm up act years ago before he got on tv and I really liked him, I'm guessing he's not very good at coming up with funny stuff off the top of his head as I've been a bit disappointed by him as well.

That's the guy. I've never seen him say anything funny, or if he has his delivery completely drains all the humour away. Yet for a prolonged period he seemed to be on telly every other day!

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 30 June 2008 00:41:14
    Excellent thread! Lots of great comedians mentioned...Bill Hicks...legend!
    The best I've seen live recently was Seymour Mace (Craig/Steve in Ideal) at the Frog & Bucket. Crazy geordie cunt made me spit more beer than I drank. Stupid & brilliant, a fucking great combination.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last