Good Stand-Up Comedians Page 2

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 3 May 2005 15:21:58 16,972 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DiscoMike wrote:
    I'd put in a vote for Denis Leary.
    Why is Dennis Leary funny? Cause there is no cure for pancreatic cancer. Ithangew :p

Lenny Bruce, anyone?

You are a factory of sadness.

• stewH 3 May 2005 15:34:31 202 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Billy Connelly gets my vote.

Saw him a couple of weeks ago in Glasgow.
    Don't think I've laughed so much ever, my sides and stomach were still sore when I got up the next morning from laughing so much.
  • Moist 3 May 2005 15:43:31 390 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Freek wrote:
    Jack Dee, kind of an angrier more sarcastic, british version of Seinfeld.
    My fave, along with Bill Bailey and Jimmy Carr.
    Also, Dylan Moran.

Oh, and Billy Connelly.
  • President_Weasel 3 May 2005 16:02:17 9,208 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Eddie Murphy was a ridiculously funny stand up. Raw and Delirious are two of the best stand up DVDs around.
    One slight cavil though- at the time he was a bit prejudiced against gays and it shows in at least one routine, so some gay guys I know really don't like his stuff. I'd recommend those DVDs though if you want to see a top stand up in his prime - the Mr T stuff is genius.
    I'd second the Richard Pryor and Bill Bailey recommendations - Bewilderness is probably Bill's best but get any of his stuff you can get your hands on.
    Eddie Izzard's second DVD is probably his best, but again get any of em.
  • Fozzie_bear 3 May 2005 17:16:35 15,501 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bill Hicks is my personal favourite. Jackie Mason's very good too. Steven Wright can be hilarious in small doses.

No pimping of Jim Davidson yet, i see.

Must be because he's shit.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Moist 3 May 2005 17:18:35 390 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:No pimping of Jim Davidson yet, i see.

Must be because he's shit.
    He should stick to what he knows.

...nothing.
  • binky Moderator 3 May 2005 17:22:44 9,581 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm still a bit suprised that you've not seen much stand up comedy Razz?

Anyway, I'm a big fan of standup.

Eddie Izzard is genius.
    Agree with Peej on Harry Hill.
    Lee Evans (especially the first 2 vids he did!)
    Bill Bailey is ace.

• Nemesis 3 May 2005 17:23:38 18,610 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bill Bailey (eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey). Excellent live.

Dylan Moran. Also excellent live.

Jimmy Carr. Saw him do the rehersal stuff for his C4 show and he does take care of his hair. And he's STAGGERINGLY unfunny in rehersal, hanging onto the conversation and chipping in with a funny remark.

Peter Kay. Excellent DVDs, I do so wish that song would fuck off though.
  • Moist 3 May 2005 17:26:40 390 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ST.. 3 May 2005 17:40:05 934 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I went to see Rob Newman in Belfast on Friday, I figured he once sold out Wembley so he must be good.

You know those tiresome "I hate George Bush so much that I want to thank him for two hours worth of material" guys?

That's you that is Rob.

Richard Pryor or Bill Hicks get my vote. Some of the material where Pryor covers his relationship with his Dad is incredibly funny (and real!).
  • mal 3 May 2005 18:12:05 22,473 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Noone had mentioned Mark Steel yet.

To be honest, I put him in the same category as Bill Hicks. I find neither of them hugely funny, but I find both of them very interesting to listen to.

Edit: Or Frank Skinner. I must have mentally blocked him out when I read your post. /shudder

Edited by mal at 18:12:48 03-05-2005

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• O-Fox 3 May 2005 19:44:36 597 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bill Bailey, brilliant stuff - shows you can be hysterically funny without gratuitous swearing or making sex jokes (I'm looking at you Ricky Gervais)
  • Deleted user 3 May 2005 20:22:51
    skalmanxl wrote:
    To be honest, I've never seen Hick's act...

Nah you have, Leary ripped him off.

My favourite stand-ups are Tommy Tiernan and Jack Dee. Tiernan is a class act but I'm not sure how big he is out of Ireland.
  • mal 3 May 2005 20:29:07 22,473 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He was moderately famous (therefore pretty famous in the comedy circuit) maybe five years ago or so in the UK. Haven't seen him much recently though.

• Khanivor 3 May 2005 20:58:57 40,554 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Caqn't believe he's only been mentioned once so far but George Carlin is a favourite of mine. Incredibly funny and very insightful, the man doesn't pull any punches with his comedy. His beats on language are worth the price of admission alone. Which is nothing thanks to the internet.

You may also know him as Rufus from Bill & Ted.
  • WoodenSpoon 3 May 2005 21:03:03 12,285 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    +1 to Dylan Moran because you never can shake the suspicion that he's actually drunk.

Edited by WoodenSpoon at 21:03:56 03-05-2005
  • City-Sickness 3 May 2005 21:17:51 318 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can't believe David Cross hasn't been mentioned yet, but maybe he's not as well-known as I thought. He's in Arrested Development and Mr. Show, kinda cult-y American sitcoms, but his stand-up shows are stunning. 2 albums released on Sub Pop.
  • Sid-Nice 3 May 2005 23:37:09 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bobby Thompson " The Little Waster " (he's deed now like) You have to be a Geordie to appreciate the humour.

NNID Sid-Nice

• cubbymoore 3 May 2005 23:48:02 36,488 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was beginning to think Dylan Moran wasn't going to get a mention after reading the first page, phew! He's by far my favourite stand up, along with Jack Dee, Peter Kay, Bill Bailey, Bill Hicks (agree with those who say his american stuff seems a bit flat compared to his UK stuff, still good anyhoo), Richard Pryor, Harry Hill, Billy Connelly, Robin Williams, Eddie Izzard... the list goes on. Stand up DVDs and CDs take up a considerable space of my media collection :)
  • warlockuk 4 May 2005 07:58:26 19,151 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Al Murray is *fucking* funny live.

And, obv, Bill Hicks + George Carlin get my vote.

Edited by warlockuk at 08:02:50 04-05-2005

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• City-Sickness 4 May 2005 17:00:00 318 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some David Cross mp3s for you:

Certain Leaders In Government Look Or Act Like Certain Pop Culture References

My Wife's Crazy!

Shut Up You Fucking Baby Pt. I

Shut Up You Fucking Baby Pt. II

Edited by City Sickness at 17:02:35 04-05-2005
  • morriss 4 May 2005 17:14:04 70,947 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    EDDIE IZZARD! How could I forget?!?!?!

Piss funny!

Tim Vine. Is that the ex blue peter bloke? He's a comedian?!?!?!

Peej

Beat me to it! Izzard is the man.
  • Lutz 4 May 2005 17:15:20 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Izzard rocks. I've got two of his standups on vid... must watch them again.

God, in the voice of James Mason: "Noah, stop what you're doing and build me an ark..."

Noah, in the voice of Sean Connery: "Well actually, I'm working on a speedboat right now..."
  • mal 4 May 2005 17:57:58 22,473 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rhythm wrote:
    Go back a few years and you had Harry Hill, Mark Thomas (my second fave, BTW), Lee Evans, Bill Bailey (who's lost "it" now), Billy Connolly (was still good mid-nineties), Eddie Izzard, Alan Davies, Jeff Green and numerous others all fighting for top spot - that was just in the UK too. If you looked at the US there was tons more sterling stand-up around. Now stand-up seems to have gone underground again and Peter Kay seems to be the only person prepared to sit on top of the pile. Like I say, he's good but not that good.
    A few years ago there used to be good, straightforward, standup shows on the telly (although admittedly it was mainly just the one on BBC1). That's how the likes of Alan Davies, Jeff Green and, to a lesser extent, Izzard and Hill got famous. Now each of those has found their (often slightly disappointing) niches - Davies and Green and quiz show hosts, Hill with his ITV shows, and Izzard with DVD and live sales. That's probably normal - what we're missing is new blood, or rather, the way to get new blood famous.

Actually, a year or two back there was a rather good show that was a mix of music and new stand-up, hosted by Dara O'Brien. But that's been about it as far as I can recall.

• Salaman 20 Aug 2006 02:04:30 18,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone mind if I ressurect this one?
    Just came accross this bit from George Carlin and it made my head hurt. I thought I'd share the headache.
    :-)
  • Flightrisker 20 Aug 2006 02:36:21 18,138 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Peter Kay is awesome.
  • Knighty 20 Aug 2006 02:46:30 981 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've only seen one live, Ross Noble. Absolutely brilliant, utterly frenetic and mad.
  • silentbob 20 Aug 2006 03:19:43 28,958 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone who hasn't heard Woody Allen's early standup stuff, go seek it all out NOW! The man helped paved the way for alternative standup comedians like Eddie Izzard.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• caligari 20 Aug 2006 03:50:58 17,024 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Anyone who hasn't heard Woody Allen's early standup stuff, go seek it all out NOW! The man helped paved the way for alternative standup comedians like Eddie Izzard.

+1

Although Eddie Izzard shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Woody Allen. ;)

I've also been listening to quite a bit of Mitch Hedberg too...freaking hilarious stuff.

Erm, I'll also vote for Jerry Seinfeld, Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor.
  • ilmaestro 20 Aug 2006 12:23:05 32,407 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    I've also been listening to quite a bit of Mitch Hedberg too...freaking hilarious stuff.
    Funniest. Man. Ever.

I literally cried when I heard he was dead. :(

• Page

of 9 First / Last