Good Stand-Up Comedians

  • Page

    of 9 First / Last

    Previous
  • Razz 3 May 2005 14:05:11 61,002 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wotcha! Last night watched my first stand up comedy since watching Eddie Murphy's "Delirious" as a teenager. It was er... Dave Chappelle in San Francisco. Hilarious Stuff! My mate gave me two other Dave Chappelle, one Richard Pyor, and 3 Chris Rock one's, can't wait to watch them!

    So... can anyone else recommend any good stand up comedians I should watch?

    -Razz

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • pjmaybe 3 May 2005 14:06:21 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Harry Hill.

    I've seen him three times in standup. His live shows are infinitely funnier than any of his telly work. He also picked on me too (bast!)

    "What was your nickname at school then sir? Chrome Dome was it?"

    (bast!)


    Peej
  • Salaman 3 May 2005 14:06:52 18,953 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Steven Wright.

    And I think Robin Williams not too bad as a stand up.

    But he's a famous man so I'm sure people will prefere to say how his stand up show sucks based on that fact.

    *still thinks its good*
  • pistol 3 May 2005 14:09:06 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You've already said it but Richard Pryor is amazing. I've got his special edition DVD which came with Stir Crazy as a bonus. I'd also recommend watching Bill Hicks, that is if you can get hold of his footage. He died at 33 years old. I've just finished reading a book about him.
  • pjmaybe 3 May 2005 14:10:44 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I liked Bill Hicks, but not to watch as stand up. I've got a fair chunk of his audio stuff but I think his standup's a bit too much to take at times.

    For Bill Hicks at his best, pick up any of the gigs he did over here. His american ones are always a bit shitty in comparison to his UK stuff.

    Peej
  • Freek 3 May 2005 14:11:06 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jack Dee, kind of an angrier more sarcastic, british version of Seinfeld.
  • Menace 3 May 2005 14:11:07 5,741 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you go for older stuff, try finding something with Robin Williams.. you think he's talking fast now? - he was insane when he was younger.. Highly recommended!

    If you want spoken-word, not just comedy, I also like Henry Rollins..

    www.bigbitegames.com/soccer

  • ssuellid 3 May 2005 14:11:28 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There is a reissue of a Richard Pryor one just out on DVD - saw an HMV ad for it last night - not sure what it is called but its one of the best sets I've seen.

    Bill Bailey is good but repeats a lot of stuff, Sean Hughes is either excellent or utter shite depending on the night.
  • Shadrach 3 May 2005 14:14:06 1,878 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Brian Reagan and Lewis Black are both good.

    NOTHING beats Richard Pryor though, he is/was a true genius.
  • pistol 3 May 2005 14:14:16 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I liked Bill Hicks, but not to watch as stand up. I've got a fair chunk of his audio stuff but I think his standup's a bit too much to take at times.

    For Bill Hicks at his best, pick up any of the gigs he did over here. His american ones are always a bit shitty in comparison to his UK stuff.

    Peej

    Peej, you know he never did break the USA in a big way, and he was just starting to when he died. It was probably to do with the nature of his material and at the time the US was a little too censored. His biggest fan base was in the UK.
  • DiscoMike 3 May 2005 14:15:57 570 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd put in a vote for Denis Leary.
  • pistol 3 May 2005 14:16:31 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    There is a reissue of a Richard Pryor one just out on DVD - saw an HMV ad for it last night - not sure what it is called but its one of the best sets I've seen.

    Bill Bailey is good but repeats a lot of stuff, Sean Hughes is either excellent or utter shite depending on the night.

    If you're talking about the gold box double DVD one then that's the one I have. The footage is from 1971.
  • Razz 3 May 2005 14:16:37 61,002 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Definetly agree with Billy Connelly, I caught an ep of his "On the Road" tour once. Very funny stuff indeed! \o/

    Edit: Kudos for Lee Evans btw

    Edited by Razz at 14:17:40 03-05-2005

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • pistol 3 May 2005 14:18:30 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    I once thought Lee Evans was, well rubbish. How wrong I was. He is perhaps the best stand up comedian of modern times ( - modern times?).

    Brilliant actions and timing.

    Edited by Fruit_Salad at 14:16:26 03-05-2005

    I've seen Lee Evans live on two occasions and the first one had me in pain from laughing. I was a bit disappointed with the 2nd show as he used a lot of the same material and we knew the punchlines. And these were a year apart.
  • Mike_Hunt 3 May 2005 14:20:23 23,512 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I went to see Tim Vine at the Lowry last night.

    There's 2 hours of my life I'll not be seeing again.

    /gutted

    [MH]
  • pjmaybe 3 May 2005 14:23:53 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I liked Bill Hicks, but not to watch as stand up. I've got a fair chunk of his audio stuff but I think his standup's a bit too much to take at times.

    For Bill Hicks at his best, pick up any of the gigs he did over here. His american ones are always a bit shitty in comparison to his UK stuff.

    Peej

    Peej, you know he never did break the USA in a big way, and he was just starting to when he died. It was probably to do with the nature of his material and at the time the US was a little too censored. His biggest fan base was in the UK.

    Aye. The best american shows were the early ones where he just stood there and absolutely ripped the living piss out of rednecks in the audience, and they just clapped like sea lions thinking it was all part of some act.

    Class act that guy.

    Peej
  • montywithnail 3 May 2005 14:25:43 430 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tim Vine....I remember that awful channel 5 game show he did
    his 1 joke act (the joke being he tells lots of old and unfunny jokes very quickly) didn't transfer well to the TV. in fact he just wasn't funny.

    /shudders

    Can't believe none has mentioned Eddie Izzard yet.

    Can't believe my spelling :)


    Edited by montywithnail at 14:54:11 03-05-2005
  • Razz 3 May 2005 14:26:57 61,002 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Eddie Izzard's humours a bit too bitchy for me.. :/

    But I can see the appeal.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • pjmaybe 3 May 2005 14:27:03 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    EDDIE IZZARD! How could I forget?!?!?!

    Piss funny!

    Tim Vine. Is that the ex blue peter bloke? He's a comedian?!?!?!

    Peej
  • pistol 3 May 2005 14:28:44 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I liked Bill Hicks, but not to watch as stand up. I've got a fair chunk of his audio stuff but I think his standup's a bit too much to take at times.

    For Bill Hicks at his best, pick up any of the gigs he did over here. His american ones are always a bit shitty in comparison to his UK stuff.

    Peej

    Peej, you know he never did break the USA in a big way, and he was just starting to when he died. It was probably to do with the nature of his material and at the time the US was a little too censored. His biggest fan base was in the UK.

    Aye. The best american shows were the early ones where he just stood there and absolutely ripped the living piss out of rednecks in the audience, and they just clapped like sea lions thinking it was all part of some act.

    Class act that guy.

    Peej

    He didn't drink or smoke for years. Ironic really..
  • skalmanxl 3 May 2005 14:31:30 982 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Besides Pryor (the best comedian ever in my book) Rock and Chapelle, George Carlin, Eddie Izzard and Dennis Leary are THE best ones.
  • skalmanxl 3 May 2005 14:38:11 982 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To be honest, I've never seen Hick's act...
  • Mike_Hunt 3 May 2005 14:40:49 23,512 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    montywithnail wrote:
    Tim Vine....I remember that awful channel 5 game show he did
    his 1 joke act (the joke being he tells lots of old and unfunny jokes very quicky) didn't transfer well to the TV. in fact he just wasn't funny.

    /shudders

    Can't beleive none has mentioned Eddie Izzard yet.
    It didn't trasfer well live either. Lots of 1 liners, some got a quiet laugh out of me, and the rest were just groaners.

    Quite disappointing as I love comedy shows, and usually leave with my sides hurting.

    [MH]
  • pistol 3 May 2005 14:48:33 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    EDDIE IZZARD! How could I forget?!?!?!

    Piss funny!

    Tim Vine. Is that the ex blue peter bloke? He's a comedian?!?!?!

    Peej

    That's Tim Vincent;)
  • pjmaybe 3 May 2005 14:49:46 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ahhh gotcha. Thank christ for that!

    Peej
  • Mike_Hunt 3 May 2005 14:56:28 23,512 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tim Vine. He's had parts in Smack the Pony I think.

    Think a tall guy, with no neck and a combover.

    [MH]
  • Deleted user 3 May 2005 15:04:37
    Haha I thought Mike was on about Tim Vincent too....
  • RubyRed 3 May 2005 15:06:25 4,303 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jackie Mason. You don't need to be Jewish to appreciate how painfully funny he is.
  • Razz 3 May 2005 15:07:59 61,002 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Are you? Jewish that is.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • RubyRed 3 May 2005 15:11:13 4,303 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah. Jackie Mason is though, and makes fun of Jews constantly, but not in a way that makes us 'gentiles' confused. He takes the piss out of everyone else too!
  • Page

    of 9 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply