Guild Wars - EG player list

• Page

of 13 First / Last

Previous
  • Pirotic Moderator 30 Apr 2005 15:19:59 20,648 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hiya. Guild Wars arrived today and im really enjoying it thus far but getting a bit lonely.

add your character names here please so we can all get a friends list together.

My character is 'Heavens Cast'
  • O-Fox 30 Apr 2005 17:34:30 597 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My name is 'Olvenon Catsacrab'. As usual, I am playing a pet class - I'm a Necromancer/Ranger . Enjoying it, though the lack of any real documentation is annoying, it's all a bit vague (I had to work out myself, for instance, that I had to buy a salvage kit and take apart things myself if I wanted new armour).
    the random deathmatch pvp is fun as hell though, it's like unreal tournament with swords. Whereabouts are you in terms of game progress piro?
  • Pirotic Moderator 30 Apr 2005 19:48:02 20,648 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    im a rather lame lvl5, and i agree it throws you in at the deep end as i still dont have a clue what im doing, at all. seriously.

a tutorial would be nice, but i suppose the website should cover it all if got off my arse and read it.
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Apr 2005 20:20:49 35,800 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Right, I am Lou Suabia, lvl 2 Monk-Warrior (I think).

Olv, I tried to contact you ingame, but you didn't react. Bah. :D
  • O-Fox 30 Apr 2005 21:53:30 597 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sorry Lou, your message may have gotten eaten by a load of loot text. My suggestion to both of you is that whilst it doesnt seem very cohesive at the moment, just stick at it as you aren't actually playing the game proper yet, just a sort of prologue. Once you start the actual game, and get the mission levels (i.e. proper levels where you only have one main objective to complete, where you will come across many a scripted sequence and cutscene rather than an area full of quest givers), it will all fit together and be sort of marevlous.
  • O-Fox 30 Apr 2005 21:58:00 597 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    right, so there are three of us now. I think that is a good enough excuse to start a guild and get one of those fancy capes.
  • Pirotic Moderator 30 Apr 2005 22:42:52 20,648 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Indeed, now that the 3 mighty eurogamers have joined forces, the koreans must be wetting whatever under-garments they wear in korea.

Im enjoying it thus far, its far to easy but im guessing that'll all change once this tutorial start ends and the proper game kicks in eh?

read some storys from people who are a higher level (ntsc-uk forum guilders) and supposidly the pre-scripted missions are incredible - waves after waves of assaults and stuff, all looked mighty impress in the screenies they posted.

also we're all a different class, so hopefully that'll work out nicely.

we still need more people, so come on you lazy bunch and get the game.
  • Clive_Dunn 30 Apr 2005 22:45:38 4,786 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm playing as well, have a lvl 7 monk/warrior called Sharrow Gwaneg.

Not a clue what I'm doing really, but the scriped missions are lots of fun ( and a great way to get XP, none of this level grind crap ).

Better than WoW imo.
  • Pirotic Moderator 30 Apr 2005 22:48:25 20,648 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hiya Clive, i got your whisper in the game and added you to my friends list. that makes four of us now.

a lot of the text gets flooded in the main dialog, i unticked a couple of the options at the top (the loot ones and drop ones) which makes it much easier to see what people are saying (my handy hint for the day).

anybody care to explain how i make new armour? i got something which said it was 10 armour but it needed to be salvaged. so i got a kit from the shop but i couldn't simply use them on each other to make the armour. which confused me :p
  • Stachey 30 Apr 2005 22:58:07 418 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Im guessing guild wars is even more system intensive then wow?:(
  • terminalterror 30 Apr 2005 23:01:00 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Stachey wrote:

Considering that WoW isn't particularly system intensive as far as these sort of games go (I was about to say MMO but Guild wars isn't strictly one of those I think), I would have thought so.
  • Pirotic Moderator 30 Apr 2005 23:09:07 20,648 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Stachey wrote:

You'd be surprised - i'm sure it probably requires a better graphics card than wow because some of the effects its chucking around are gorgeous (farcry style water, draw distances to die for, good textures, lots of foliage etc). but i actually find the game as a whole to run a lot smoother than wow does.

WoW is designed to be epic, so it spools everything as its needed from the hard-disc into RAM. which is pretty HD intensive and causes even a ninja pc to lock up for a few seconds when approaching a busy area.

GuildWars is more your typical RPG in that everything is cut into areas, you get a short loading screen as it loads the area your walking into but then the HD is left to rest for a while, so the frame-rate is much more stable as its not trying to load stuff in the background and the scenery doesn't have dynamic levels of detail to stress the CPU out with.

if you can play wow, you can play guildwars - you may have to disable some special effects if you have an older graphics card but i dont see any other problems.

Here are some screenies from my screenshot folder (dont attempt to load 2,3,4 or 5 if your on a 56k connection)

Edited by Pirotic at 23:14:09 30-04-2005
  • O-Fox 30 Apr 2005 23:55:04 597 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Indeed, now that the 3 mighty eurogamers have joined forces, the koreans must be wetting whatever under-garments they wear in korea.

Im enjoying it thus far, its far to easy but im guessing that'll all change once this tutorial start ends and the proper game kicks in eh?

read some storys from people who are a higher level (ntsc-uk forum guilders) and supposidly the pre-scripted missions are incredible - waves after waves of assaults and stuff, all looked mighty impress in the screenies they posted.

also we're all a different class, so hopefully that'll work out nicely.

we still need more people, so come on you lazy bunch and get the game.
    you'll be pleased to know that the scripted missions start pretty much as soon as the prologue ends, and they really are loads of fun - especially where you get to see your character and his party 'act out' the end cutscene, dialogue and all!
    Of course, the scenarios themselves are pretty cool - the best one I can think of so far is where hordes of charr are swarming al over the place, and, whilst it is still possible to head into battle with them, there is a trebuchet that you can man and rain firey death upon them all. I'll be out all day tomorrow, but bank holiday monday I say we have an EG get together and show those charr whose boss.
    the list so far:
    Heavens Cast - Pirotic
    Lou Suabia - UncleLou
    Sharrow Gwaneg - Clive Dunn
    Olvenon Catsacrab - me

• UncleLou Moderator 1 May 2005 01:09:28 35,800 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, I left the prologue area, but I wonder if I did it too early (I am level 4). I get a royally serious beating whenever I leave the town now. And why is everybody talking French, no matter which European area I choose? :p
  • UncleLou Moderator 1 May 2005 03:19:35 35,800 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Right, lvl 5 now, and I am beginning to "get" the game. :)

Spotted a bit too late that one can hire henchmen. Game's a piece of cake now. ;)
  • UncleLou Moderator 1 May 2005 03:35:53 35,800 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Abner Cadaver wrote:
    This game is online only? I mean, no offline mode? Seems great though!

/gets educated

Yes, it's just online - however, you can play it pretty much like an offline game if you want. You have several places (towns) that serve as "hubs" where you can group with other players, buy and sell stuff, etc. or, instead of grouping, hire NPCs. From these hubs, you can enter "instances", ie landscapes/dungeons/whatever with your party. No other players are in these areas, just NPCs, monsters and you and your party (either with other players or the henchmen).

Some quests are scripted missions, and the two I have played so far are really something else. The second one is a huge battle, with dozens of NPCs and monsters fighting at the same time, cut-scenes, etc. etc. The whole game is a pretty unique mixture of an RPG/MMORPG/Tactical action game. Very nice. :)

Edited by UncleLou at 03:37:06 01-05-2005
  • Clive_Dunn 1 May 2005 12:01:43 4,786 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good grouping with you earlier Lou - this really is a fantastic game. Didn't have high hopes beforehand ( last years alpha E3 open demo didn't really light my fire ) but the scripted missions are a work of genius.

Top game, hopefully we can get an EG group going tonight ?
  • Pirotic Moderator 1 May 2005 12:16:12 20,648 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    count me in, i'll be working hard to get out of the starting area once i've done the housework, and if you want to pick a time tonight (7pm?) i be ready.
  • Clive_Dunn 1 May 2005 12:39:26 4,786 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    7pm good for me.
  • Pirotic Moderator 1 May 2005 13:11:45 20,648 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've created the Elite Guard guild and you've all been invited, should make chatting to one another a lot easier.
  • Orange 1 May 2005 14:13:22 4,871 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Got my copy but haven't installed it yet, will do so today and get online. Sounds fantastic.
  • O-Fox 1 May 2005 18:06:55 597 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    7 pm is also good for me. See you all there.

Edited by O-Fox at 18:27:00 01-05-2005
  • Orange 1 May 2005 19:23:38 4,871 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Got a character - Sendo Magus, lvl 2 Elementalist with Mesmer secondary. No idea how to identify items, or where the henchmen are... apart from that not bad so far.

Edited by Orange at 19:23:59 01-05-2005
  • Tiger_Walts 1 May 2005 19:54:54 16,615 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll tell you mine on Monday when I get it.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• UncleLou Moderator 1 May 2005 20:19:03 35,800 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Might have to start a new character, it looks like I missed skills in the tutorial I can't get anywhere else now, gah.
  • O-Fox 1 May 2005 20:37:59 597 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not sure Lou, there should be somewhere in old ascalon or something the npc you need.
  • UncleLou Moderator 1 May 2005 20:44:50 35,800 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been to a webiste which says some of the skills are only available in Ascalon City (ie the tutorial). It's a site from the beta, but anyway. :-/

Anyway, it's rather irrelevant at the moment as the game just updated itself when I booted it and now it crashes back to desktop 1 second after I entered the gameworld every single time.

*sigh*

Edited by UncleLou at 20:45:35 01-05-2005
  • Clive_Dunn 1 May 2005 20:49:16 4,786 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think you are wrong Lou, I didn't do much in the tutorial ( in fact I didn't even realise it was a tutorial ), but then picked up the skills from standard quests later.

Which skills are you missing and I'll try to remember the NPC that gave them.
  • UncleLou Moderator 1 May 2005 20:52:26 35,800 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The "Heal Area" spell, for example, though the site I was on liste da few others that are exclusively available in Ascalon City (and not in Old Ascalon anymore). :)

edit:

right, the game is working again. It downloaded another file, looks like I tried to log on in between an update maybe.

Edited by UncleLou at 20:54:51 01-05-2005
  • Clive_Dunn 1 May 2005 20:54:53 4,786 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah, I definately picked that up well after the burning. Have you tried the NPC's just outside Old Ascalon city ?
  • Page

of 13 First / Last

Previous