Looking good to say the least...

This space left intentionally blank.

• eviltobz 27 Apr 2005 01:10:57 2,511 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Fucking Bollocks.

The date is October 7th 2005. That is THE date. Promise. From Whedon's website.

OK, I believe you. :)

That said, the September 30th US date is a bit cursed. I warn you now: if Whedon pulls a Valve/HalfLife 2 style fiasco I'm holding you personally responsible. ;)
    already happened. the original release date was a couple of days back, but it was shunted.

and following on from tt, i've only watched my second firefly boxset once. but i've watched my first one about 3 times :)

round about the time that river started getting violent, the trailer got really really good :) and yup, some of the cgi shots were tasty, but knowing zoic i think they'll look a whole lot better without the fast editting so you can take em in better. same with the shots of inara :)
  • Freek 27 Apr 2005 01:31:48 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One things a bitt strange though; in the TV series the space sequences have no sound. They adopted the realistic point of view (no air = no sound), so no zoommy engine noises except when Serenity enters the atmosphere of a planet.
    Yet in the trailer the spaceships do have sound effects as do the explosions in space, bitt of a break in style. But that could just be something edited toghther for the trailer though.

Edited by Freek at 01:35:50 27-04-2005
  • eviltobz 27 Apr 2005 01:51:35 2,511 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    everything that i've read about the film indicates no noise in space, so i think (hope) it is just a trailer thing. and i would expect a trailer to have suitable noise to be honest as it's all about grabbing people and silent space in film is an alien concept to non-firefly flans.
  • oneiros 27 Apr 2005 08:04:51 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "This is gonna get interesting."

"Define interesting."

"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die?"
    Heh. Looks great, but I'm not sure about the wisdom of pimping it as a cult fan-favourite: "From the mind of Joss Whedon"? Who? "Creator of Buffy and Angel." Oh.

Looks like there's already uproar on the Browncoats board about the Sound in Space effects...

Edited by oneiros at 09:02:59 27-04-2005
  • terminalterror 27 Apr 2005 09:30:21 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    eviltobz wrote:
    everything that i've read about the film indicates no noise in space, so i think (hope) it is just a trailer thing. and i would expect a trailer to have suitable noise to be honest as it's all about grabbing people and silent space in film is an alien concept to non-firefly flans.

Being a scientist I occasionally took offense to having sound in space everywhere before Firefly. Didn't stop me enjoying Star Wars etc. though.
  • Blerk Moderator 27 Apr 2005 09:35:13 48,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone interested in seeing the series but not interested enough to buy the DVD blind... UK Sci-Fi channel (130 on Sky) are reshowing the series from May 4th at 8pm.
  • terminalterror 27 Apr 2005 09:40:06 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Anyone interested in seeing the series but not interested enough to buy the DVD blind... UK Sci-Fi channel (130 on Sky) are reshowing the series from May 4th at 8pm.

But its only £12.99 from sendit.com!
  • Blerk Moderator 27 Apr 2005 09:41:37 48,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But that's still £12.99 too much if you buy it and don't like it. Not likely, for sure, but.. you know. Some people in here think Voyager was 'quite good'.
  • ssuellid 27 Apr 2005 09:41:44 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    Being a scientist I occasionally took offense to having sound in space everywhere before Firefly.

Fantasy films must really piss you off then ;)
  • terminalterror 27 Apr 2005 09:44:31 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    Being a scientist I occasionally took offense to having sound in space everywhere before Firefly.

Fantasy films must really piss you off then ;)

Not really. I don't get wound up at all by stuff like that, but when I watch some episodes of CSI I just laugh out loud at the outrageous things they do, like zooming in on a grainy CCTV picture to get the reflection of the killer in ultra sharp detail from somebodies eye.
  • ssuellid 27 Apr 2005 09:49:03 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /backs away from TT
  • Shivoa 27 Apr 2005 10:06:07 5,677 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oooh, haven't used sendit before (/hugs play.com). Ordered (you can never have too many copies, given two away to people who needed to be taught what a good space western was like and 3rd copy is being lent out right now).
  • Aretak 27 Apr 2005 10:10:24 10,346 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love Firefly... Out of Gas would have to be my favourite episode. Can't wait for the film.
  • [maven] 27 Apr 2005 10:39:09 5,152 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like the trailer, but
    a) it seems to retell a lot of exposition from the series (which makes sense for people who've never heard of Firefly, obviously)
    b) River's "Kung Fu" is a bit off (especially the one elbow -> face hit), but then she's a ballerina...

Looking forward to whenever it appears in the cinemas here...
  • oneiros 27 Apr 2005 10:44:30 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    Not really. I don't get wound up at all by stuff like that, but when I watch some episodes of CSI I just laugh out loud at the outrageous things they do, like zooming in on a grainy CCTV picture to get the reflection of the killer in ultra sharp detail from somebodies eye.
    The only time this has ever been acceptable was in BladeRunner and I can put that down to some fancy schmancy holographic technology. I have no problem suspending my belief and accepting 'magic' as a solution to a problem, but crappy science winds me up every time.

That said, fiery explosions and slow, visible laser beams never did Star Wars any harm. And where would we be without the TIE Fighter's trademark scream?
  • eviltobz  27 Apr 2005 11:40:51 2,609 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    for those who just can get enough, the direct download can be found here.

/watches trailer a few more times
  • terminalterror 27 Apr 2005 12:25:10 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shivoa wrote:
    Oooh, haven't used sendit before (/hugs play.com). Ordered (you can never have too many copies, given two away to people who needed to be taught what a good space western was like and 3rd copy is being lent out right now).

Unless I am browsing a sale, I never go to any specific retailer any more, always go to find-dvd.co.uk first.
  • bloke 28 Apr 2005 10:14:34 1,489 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    O-Fox wrote:
    Holycrapholycrapholycrapholycrap

Can't wait.

Very frustratingly, a friend of mine who went to an official Serenity convention last year got invited to a screening of a rough cut of the movie a couple of months ago.

Bast!

He says it's great - and I'm sure it will be - but the TV series allowed so much slow development of the characters. It really is fantastic.
  • eviltobz  28 Apr 2005 11:48:24 2,609 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    bast indeed. i half thought about signing up for then con myself which would've given me a shot at the tix, but £70 to be that geeky? i couldn't quite bring myself to do it.

/watches trailer a few more times to try a forget how long it is til the film is released
  • terminalterror 28 Apr 2005 11:58:13 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My cunning tactic of not watching the trailer seems to be paying off. If I had, I'd be counting down the days. However, it might come to nothing if I catch it in the cinema on a big screen.
  • Phattso Moderator 28 Apr 2005 12:10:34 13,210 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    My cunning tactic of not watching the trailer seems to be paying off. If I had, I'd be counting down the days. However, it might come to nothing if I catch it in the cinema on a big screen.
    Just stick your fingers in your ears, shut your eyes, and start shouting "LAA LAA LAAA LAAAAA!" at the top of your voice.

Nobody will mind, as it's much less annoying than some chav having a 15 minute conversation on his mobile whilst noisily chomping down popcorn. ;)
  • terminalterror 28 Apr 2005 12:12:30 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    Just stick your fingers in your ears, shut your eyes, and start shouting "LAA LAA LAAA LAAAAA!" at the top of your voice.

Nobody will mind, as it's much less annoying than some chav having a 15 minute conversation on his mobile whilst noisily chomping down popcorn. ;)

I'm not that determined to avoid watching it. Next time I'm browsing through apple.com/trailers I'll probably click on the Serenity link if I see it. I'm just not seeking it out.
  • oneiros 28 Apr 2005 12:13:12 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Our Mrs. Reynolds is my fav too! She is a hot little ginger minx.
    Watched this last night (along with Shindig and Safe) and thought it was the worst one so far... :(
  • Derblington 28 Apr 2005 12:15:37 21,332 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    oneiros wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Our Mrs. Reynolds is my fav too! She is a hot little ginger minx.
    Watched this last night (along with Shindig and Safe) and thought it was the worst one so far... :(
    You're quite obviously a fool.
  • eviltobz  28 Apr 2005 12:21:42 2,609 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    but, but girly mal and his pretty floral bonnet. and lovely lovely saffron. and lovely lovely inara. and my days not not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle. and lovely lovely saffron and inara. and quite possibly the funniest lines ever uttered "that's why i never kiss em on the mouth."

and saffron. woah, good bible.

/stumbles away in a shocked daze
  • oneiros 28 Apr 2005 12:49:01 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :p

Okay, it did have way more than its fair share of funny lines (I'll definitely be using the term 'special hell' from now on) and Mrs Reynolds was undeniably cute, but the overall plot was really weak; the actual 'web' portion of the episode was about five minutes long.

Funniest episode? Sure. Best? No way. Favourite? Well that's a matter of opinion...

IMO of course.

Edited by oneiros at 12:59:32 28-04-2005
  • oneiros 3 May 2005 15:35:20 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Browncoat gossi wrote:
    Guys,

All that want a Can't Stop The Signal UK day please email
    promote@WhoIsRiver.com with your location and contact details.

No promises. I will collate numbers, locations etc and pass it all on
    to the powers that be, and get back in touch shortly.

Feel free to pass this on to other forums/mailing lists - the more
    numbers, the better.

Thanks!
  • Derblington 5 May 2005 14:14:07 21,332 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    3 issue comicbook miniseries written by Whedon is being released just before the movie. Issue one goes on sale on the 6th July I believe. Each issue will have 3 different covers so in the end there will a cover of each crew member of Serenity. It's an official miniseries linking the series to the movie!

Details here

Issue one covers (The Bryan Hitch cover is excellent but I like his work anyway)
  • stonedben 5 May 2005 14:50:12 4 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finished watching the series (or rather what exists of it) a couple of days ago after consuming the whole of Angel series 5 in 4 days (it's mindless and therefore addictively easy to watch). I must say that it is awesome - one of the best shows I've seen in a long time. That Fox cancelled it, and didn't even show the pilot (started with the train heist ep so it didn't make sense) confirms that they are the EA of television - breaking out in hives any time something vaguely original comes along.

/shakes head in dispair and mutters about evil corporate bastards
  • Page

of 51 First / Last