Firefly / Serenity Page 46

• Page

of 51 First / Last

• Ged42 24 Jun 2011 19:00:05 7,700 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He needs to team up with Syfy, ok he won't have budget that Fox would give him, but he would be pretty much guaranteed all the seasons he wanted.
  • ecureuil 24 Jun 2011 19:01:43 76,497 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If Avengers does well then maybe he'll get to make more Firefly. :D
  • Flightrisker 24 Jun 2011 19:06:22 18,096 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Leaked Avengers screenplay.

INT. WAREHOUSE

Man: I can't believe someone killed Thor, Hulk, Ironman, Hawkeye and Captain America. What are we gonna do?

500 YEARS LATER

Mal: 'Howdy'

OPENING TITLES: "SERENITY 2, BITCHES!"
  • BinaryBob101 24 Jun 2011 22:57:11 22,294 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So, I was reading my local rag today and some bloke is making a Firefly universe film. He has US backing and the budget is 1million. It's a one-hander about a miner who leaves Earth in search of new colonies and only has a computer as company. Sounds suspiciously like Moon. More news soon.

Beautiful tender beings.

• Flightrisker 26 Jun 2011 19:47:55 18,096 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Getting through the series now with the missus. Her firs time, my, I dunno, 5th.

Watched Out of Gas last night which prompted the question I always get when rewatching this with a newcomer - Hang on, why did they cancel this again?
  • HoriZon 26 Jun 2011 19:54:26 13,496 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    Getting through the series now with the missus. Her firs time, my, I dunno, 5th.

Watched Out of Gas last night which prompted the question I always get when rewatching this with a newcomer - Hang on, why did they cancel this again?

No viewers watching it on the telly, and it been FOX they shut it down.

You knew that though silly rabbit! ;)

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Wobble 27 Jun 2011 13:06:59 1,029 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    out of gas is one of the best episodes of any tv i have seen, followed closely by objects in space.
  • boo 27 Jun 2011 13:14:32 11,703 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    Leaked Avengers screenplay.

INT. WAREHOUSE

Man: I can't believe someone killed Thor, Hulk, Ironman, Hawkeye and Captain America. What are we gonna do?

500 YEARS LATER

Mal: 'Howdy'

OPENING TITLES: "SERENITY 2, BITCHES!"

/prays for it to be true

The would be a) awesome, and b) hilarious.

Just Another Lego Blog

• henro_ben 27 Jun 2011 13:17:46 2,211 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Although I'd seen the film Serenity I'd never seen the series - so started watching it last night.

Just to echo everyone else: Why the hell did this get cancelled? It's great!
  • TechnoHippy 27 Jun 2011 13:18:55 14,698 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wobble wrote:
    out of gas is one of the best episodes of any tv i have seen, followed closely by objects in space.

I think Jaynestown was my favourite, that and the final episode (I can't remember the name).

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Wobble 27 Jun 2011 14:17:48 1,029 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Techno Hippy wrote:
    Wobble wrote:

I think Jaynestown was my favourite, that and the final episode (I can't remember the name).
    (objects in space)
  • Flightrisker 27 Jun 2011 14:18:51 18,096 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's Objects in Space. I think OIS is mine too. There's something just so weird about that episode. Probably not the best in terms of laughs or character moments but it's just such a finely crafted episode.

Out of Gas probably has a better balance on that front. Has a bit of everything. The pilot, Serenity, is actually probably the best. Genius idea of FOX not to air it.

• RabidChild 27 Jun 2011 15:09:18 2,288 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OIS is my favourite. Early is such a great character
  • CosmicFuzz 27 Jun 2011 15:10:21 23,189 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    That's Objects in Space. I think OIS is mine too. There's something just so weird about that episode. Probably not the best in terms of laughs or character moments but it's just such a finely crafted episode.

Out of Gas probably has a better balance on that front. Has a bit of everything. The pilot, Serenity, is actually probably the best. Genius idea of FOX not to air it.

They did air it, but just as the last episode, the assholes. Must've made no sense.

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• Salaman 27 Jun 2011 15:14:21 18,863 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The pilot is pants. Everytime I convinced someone to watch Firefly with because I assured them it was utterly brillaint, they struggled through the very long, rather confusing pilot. Watched the second (first) episode because I made them and then started to like it.
    One said you'd better get started off on the second episode and watch the pilot later on when you already like Firefly as the pilot doesn't exactly pull you in.
  • TechnoHippy 27 Jun 2011 15:21:00 14,698 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wobble wrote:
    Techno Hippy wrote:
    Wobble wrote:

(objects in space)

Then we are in agreement :-)

• boo 27 Jun 2011 15:27:30 11,703 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have a recurring thought for a film plot, along the lines of The Abominable Dr Phibes, in which all the Fox execs who took the decision to cancel Firefly are bumped off in ever more bizarre circumstances.

As the final credits roll, Sergeant O'Murphy, genial policeman of Irish decent, closes the file and says "We couldn't pursue the case. What do you do when you've got ten million suspects?'

Just Another Lego Blog

• kalel 27 Jun 2011 15:30:16 86,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I like the pilot. The bit where Mal tells the doc that Kaylee is dead and we see him running to her, and then they smash cut to Mal and everyone laughing about it, is possibly my favourite bit in the whole thing. It sets the tone beautifully and lets you know that certain TV conventions are going to be broken.
  • HoraceGoesSquiffy 28 Jun 2011 21:14:33 1,566 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hello. I just started watching this; many, many moons behind everyone else in the world.

So far : Liking it. Easy to watch, hits all the right buttons, very Joss Whedon.
  • _Price_ 28 Jun 2011 22:59:38 3,072 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Awesome. Come back when (not 'if'....) you reach the OMGB3STSHOWEVAR! stage and we'll induct you into the collective.

Oh, and: hands off Kaylee. She's mine.
  • Flying_Pig 29 Jun 2011 08:08:08 10,686 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    _Price_ wrote:
    Oh, and: hands off Kaylee. She's mine.
    Wrong! Mine!
  • boo 29 Jun 2011 08:44:40 11,703 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You wish.

/finds that it's difficult to type with Jewel Staite sitting on your lap

Just Another Lego Blog

• Ged42 29 Jun 2011 09:00:30 7,700 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Boo, even in a pink super frilly dress, that blow-up doll is not Jewel Staite.
  • AcidSnake 29 Jun 2011 09:03:48 7,214 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /thinks of Jewel Staite

I'll be in my bunk...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Flightrisker 29 Jun 2011 11:50:49 18,096 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I like the pilot. The bit where Mal tells the doc that Kaylee is dead and we see him running to her, and then they smash cut to Mal and everyone laughing about it, is possibly my favourite bit in the whole thing. It sets the tone beautifully and lets you know that certain TV conventions are going to be broken.

Yup, salaman is nuts. It's not just not "pants" but is very good and very necessary for the following episodes to have any real weight to them.

Other convention breaking things I love in it as the way they don't fall into the usual plot traps, ie when the officer has River at gunpoint and starts his "if anybody moves" spiel and Mal just walks in and shoots him. Brilliant.
  • LeoliansBro 29 Jun 2011 11:54:36 43,227 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gotta agree with that.

I have to say I've a soft spot for Our Mrs Reynolds. Also love the pantomime russian gangster from The Train Job.

'If you do not bring me the goods, your reputation only gossip, and things between us not so solid...'

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Flightrisker 29 Jun 2011 11:59:25 18,096 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just last week I rewatched it all, finishing off with Serenity last nigth. Our Mrs Reynolds was not one of my favs before but definitely stood out on rewatching. It's got a lot of genuinely laugh out loud moments in it.

The Bluray of Serenity has some great extras. Looking forward to rewatching with the commentaries.
  • Salaman 29 Jun 2011 12:23:43 18,863 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I meant the pilot is pants as it isn't very good at doing what a pilot should do.
    As I got past it and watched all the episodes I enjoy rewatching it.

It's just that "newbies" who I convince to watch "it's such a great show!" don't seem to be eased into the Firefly universe in the way you'd hope they would be from watching a pilot.
    It's very long, it comes across a bit incoherent and confusing. Attention started noticeably flagging about half way through.
  • agparrot 29 Jun 2011 12:33:48 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    Other convention breaking things I love in it as the way they don't fall into the usual plot traps, ie when the officer has River at gunpoint and starts his "if anybody moves" spiel and Mal just walks in and shoots him. Brilliant.

I was just going to post exactly this same example. It was a joyous relief for Mal to enter the scene at full tilt, and solve the problem in a direct and unfussy manner, totally bypassing any hostage negotiation, angst-ridden Mexican standoffs or the like. Really sets the tone.

I can't believe I've just lent my boxset out, all this talk of it makes me want to watch it again, again.
  • TechnoHippy 29 Jun 2011 12:54:41 14,698 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zoe does a similar thing when Mal and Wash are being held captive. Snap decision, no messing around.

• Page

of 51 First / Last