Firefly / Serenity

• Page

of 51 First / Last

Previous
  • oneiros 26 Apr 2005 08:20:15 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not wanting to pollute the Hitchhikers movie thread any further, I just wanted to thank eviltobz for his Firefly recommendation. Not sure why I'd not bought it before, being a huge Whedon fan an' all (probably 'cos I've been buying Angel on DVD - just waiting for S5 to be discounted now) but I watched the pilot last night and it was fabulous! Worth the £15 (from Play.com) for that episode alone and I've got three and a half more DVDs to watch. Does it manage to maintain this sort of quality?

And it seems that there's a movie coming out later this year (07/10) too; how the hell did I manage to avoid this? Better late than never I guess...

Anyway, cheers tobz.
  • Derblington 26 Apr 2005 08:23:52 20,983 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It gets better than the pilot. And the quality is top throughout.
  • bloke 26 Apr 2005 08:25:43 1,489 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Firefly is great, isn't it.

All the episodes are, IMHO, just as good as the pilot.

The movie is due out in September.

Just got this from my mate Joss (only kidding, it was a bulk geekmail)

Check out exciting news from Joss Whedon now on the Browncoats message boards!

http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity/index.html?fuseaction=forum.viewtopic&t=10230

Hey guys.

I'm here on the official site, so that can only mean one thing: somebody finally told me my password! (Again.) It probably also means that I have some big-ass announcement or other. Well tops on the announcement list is this: after months of intensive yoga, i can finally touch my toes! (They feel round and bunion-y.)

But there's more! I'm talkin' movie news, peeps, so no more drumroll: Trailer. Serenity. Tuesday.

Yeah, kids, the haps is hap'nin', and it runs thus: EXCLUSIVELY on Apple movie trailers (and linked through this site as well of course) will be a small, medium, large or FULLSCREEN trailer for Serenity the major motion movie. Yeah, THE trailer. And the following Friday said trailer hits theaters. Which theaters? Until I get confirmation you'll have to guess, but I'm betting you can.

Now, here's a word of warning: this trailer ain't shy. If you're looking to live totally spoiler-free, know that there's plenty of key dialogue and images running through this bad boy. It's pretty tasty, though, and it doesn't give everything away. But close scrutiny will definitely learn you much of what's to come. (Anakin TOTALLY goes evil.) It's a nice piece to while away the time till September, and hopefully should intrigue th' peeps that don't have coats of brown.

The only thing more exciting than y'all finally seeing this was showing it to Nathan. Like a schoolboy giggled he.

Bye-ee!

Joss "You can't take my toes from me" Whedon.

• terminalterror 26 Apr 2005 08:32:44 18,937 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd better not download that trailer then as I like to see my movies knowing as little as I possibly can about the film.
  • oneiros 26 Apr 2005 08:37:09 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmmn; can't see it on the Apple site...
  • Derblington 26 Apr 2005 09:08:41 20,983 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    oneiros wrote:
    Hmmn; can't see it on the Apple site...

It's still fairly early in the morning in the states isn't it. By this evening it'll be there.

/wees self
  • Shivoa 26 Apr 2005 10:49:55 5,677 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /F5s Apple site.

Mmmm, tasty.
  • eviltobz  26 Apr 2005 11:39:53 2,609 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    oneiros wrote:
    Anyway, cheers tobz.
    well, firstly i'd say that i'm glad you liked it, but it's firefly, it's amazing so there was never any doubt. secondly there's no need to thank me, my rampant pimpage of firefly is selfishly motivated. the series stopped waaaay to soon, with much ground to cover. serenity will not be able to tie up all the loose threads, but if she breaks even or better universal greenlight 2 sequels. hence i shall pimp, pimp, and pimp some more to raise the interest in the film.

/pimps a little more. just to prove the point

:b

and as derbles said, the quality certainly remains consistent. out of gas and objects in space tend to get lots of praise as episodes, and my fave, our mrs reynolds is coming up soon. enjoy :)

and, oooooooooooooh. trailer. i really wanna watch it. like reaaaaaaaally wanna. but i don't wanna spoiler the film. damn. if only i had been able to get tickets to one of the 2 uk test screening it wouldn't be a problem :( well, i think it's safe to assume that my resolve won't hold. must see. must see.
  • Derblington 26 Apr 2005 11:42:35 20,983 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Our Mrs. Reynolds is my fav too! She is a hot little ginger minx.
  • boo 26 Apr 2005 11:48:26 11,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm told that in the UK the Serenity trailer will be running before THHGTTG film.

Just Another Lego Blog

• oneiros 26 Apr 2005 11:48:45 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kaylee sure is a cutie too. (Which reminds me; going to see Fish in concert on Thursday - yay)

I must try to pace myself. Often, when I buy sets like this, I end up watching episodes back to back, maybe two or three a night and more at the weekend. I think it took me about a fortnight to get through Angel 4...

Edited by oneiros at 11:49:14 26-04-2005
  • eviltobz  26 Apr 2005 12:04:24 2,609 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    dude, i watch sets like this in one sitting! it's the best way :)

/ponders if there is anything better in the world than having a bed, a projector, and a 5.1 soundsystem in the same room

/comes up with the answer, "all of the above, plus a couple of trained companions."

Derblington wrote:
    Our Mrs. Reynolds is my fav too! She is a hot little ginger minx.
    woah, good episode ;)

Edited by eviltobz  at 12:05:04 26-04-2005
  • kdsh7 26 Apr 2005 12:16:29 1,164 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't get it though - if everyone is in agreement that it's great, and some studio deemed it commercially viable to finance 3 movies, why was the series canned?
  • eviltobz  26 Apr 2005 12:38:27 2,609 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    fox are a bunch of utter mongtards with a history of canning programs with huge critical acclaim. generally opinion goes along these lines.

someone at fox gave that bloke who did the "childish vampire programme" a shot at doing a sci-fi not really realising the depth and intricay that joss weaves into his work. they wanted a flashy, quick and easy action show, but got a complex universe which asks you to engage your brain a little which doesn't look a whole lot like other sci-fi due to stuff like a strong western influence and a pretty dark lead character. upon not getting the kind of show they were wrongly expecting they put it into a bad timeslot, didn't give a strong advertising push, showed episodes out of order (the 2 hour pilot was shown last, the second ep aired as the pilot, fools) and the shows they did air often got bounced around to even worse timeslots to make way for baseball or some such event.

not far off the same as they did with the also excellent wonderfalls from last season's schedules. and i'm pretty sure that dark angel was doing alright when they canned it after that huge season 2 finale (to free up some budget to finance firefly, which they obviously canned) basically, the suits are all bastards, and want cheap, easy-to-make reality shows 24/7.

edit - as so many have said though, the series is amazing, so obviously someone at universal saw it and realised the huge potential whilst they were looking for a new action/adventure/sci-fi type film franchise(hence the talk of a trilogy if the first one performs at the box office). and the massive dvd sales figures didn't hurt either :)

Edited by eviltobz  at 12:41:37 26-04-2005
  • terminalterror 26 Apr 2005 13:06:20 18,937 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    eviltobz  wrote:
    oneiros wrote:
    Anyway, cheers tobz.
    well, firstly i'd say that i'm glad you liked it, but it's firefly, it's amazing so there was never any doubt. secondly there's no need to thank me, my rampant pimpage of firefly is selfishly motivated. the series stopped waaaay to soon, with much ground to cover. serenity will not be able to tie up all the loose threads, but if she breaks even or better universal greenlight 2 sequels. hence i shall pimp, pimp, and pimp some more to raise the interest in the film.

/pimps a little more. just to prove the point

:b

and as derbles said, the quality certainly remains consistent. out of gas and objects in space tend to get lots of praise as episodes, and my fave, our mrs reynolds is coming up soon. enjoy :)

and, oooooooooooooh. trailer. i really wanna watch it. like reaaaaaaaally wanna. but i don't wanna spoiler the film. damn. if only i had been able to get tickets to one of the 2 uk test screening it wouldn't be a problem :( well, i think it's safe to assume that my resolve won't hold. must see. must see.

Thanks for the pimpage, it convinced me to pick it up around Christmas for £17.99 from play. I'm equally torn about the trailer. I think I'll just see if I get it before HHGTG, and then if I do I can then watch the apple.com one till my eyes bleed, otherwise I'll hold off to keep it spoiler free.

Firefly still would have been superb had I known about it properly, but one of the reasons it really captivated me is I watched it knowing only that it was a Joss Whedon sci fi show, and some had referred to it as a 'western in space'.

• kdsh7 26 Apr 2005 15:21:24 1,164 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've yet to sit down and watch it but I'm really looking forward to having the time to do so.

Thanks for the explanation eviltobz - I agree 100% with what you've said about Fox.

Poor Fry...Leela..
  • Whizzo 26 Apr 2005 15:32:27 42,772 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Serenity trailer goes live at 1:00PST according to AintItCool, I'm prepared to give it a view as I'm bound to forget what it shows in the 5 months until the film is released.

This space left intentionally blank.

• oneiros 26 Apr 2005 15:41:15 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    9pm in the UK then...?
  • Scimarad 26 Apr 2005 21:34:10 8,501 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Serenity trailer is up:-)

Linky

Edited by Scimarad at 21:34:54 26-04-2005
  • Derblington 26 Apr 2005 22:27:11 20,983 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OH MY GOD.

I'll say nothing about it here as I know people want to see the film 'fresh' but it looks fucking awesome. The budget must've been huge as the CGI is some of the most realistic I've ever seen.

We need a Serenity geek meet for day of release at the best cinema in the country.
  • Phattso Moderator 26 Apr 2005 22:35:51 12,727 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would have been happy with just a TV Movie or a straight to DVD release, so the fact that it's getting the full cinematic treatment is fantastic. Loved the series and, unless they drop the ball in an unprecedented fashion, I'll love the movie(s) too.

All I have to do now is figure out what "fall" translates to in the UK and I'll be first in line. ;)
  • Derblington 26 Apr 2005 22:37:18 20,983 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    10th Sept. 2005
  • Phattso Moderator 26 Apr 2005 22:39:32 12,727 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    10th Sept. 2005

Are you sleeping with Whedon or is that a guess? ;)

The full screen trailer says September 30th, which I presume is a US only date. That puts the UK into October at the earliest, surely?
  • O-Fox 26 Apr 2005 22:39:40 597 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Holycrapholycrapholycrapholycrap

Can't wait.
  • Singularity 26 Apr 2005 22:39:54 2,427 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That is the best thing I've ever seen - including naked girls.

• Derblington 26 Apr 2005 22:40:26 20,983 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ahh, maybe it's October 10th then. That'll make more sense.
  • Derblington 26 Apr 2005 22:44:01 20,983 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fucking Bollocks.

The date is October 7th 2005. That is THE date. Promise. From Whedon's website.
  • Phattso Moderator 26 Apr 2005 22:47:20 12,727 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Fucking Bollocks.

OK, I believe you. :)

That said, the September 30th US date is a bit cursed. I warn you now: if Whedon pulls a Valve/HalfLife 2 style fiasco I'm holding you personally responsible. ;)
  • Derblington 26 Apr 2005 22:50:45 20,983 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Fucking Bollocks.

OK, I believe you. :)

That said, the September 30th US date is a bit cursed. I warn you now: if Whedon pulls a Valve/HalfLife 2 style fiasco I'm holding you personally responsible. ;)

Deal.
  • terminalterror 26 Apr 2005 23:57:20 18,937 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    We need a Serenity geek meet for day of release at the best cinema in the country.

That would be a great idea, although I'm not really a Firefly geek, more of a fan. I've only watched my Firefly DVD once!
  • Page

of 51 First / Last

Previous