Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines powered by Valve engine Page 4

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• jellyhead 22 Nov 2004 11:11:59 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Plays lovely on my rig, 9800pro with the latest cats, i also upgraded my Creative drivers but i still get some audio issues. No gamebreakers, it just feels lacking in polish in places.
    Anyway, i answered the questions and it seems i'm to be a Nosferatu, I thought "I'll give it 10 minutes and restart as someone else." now 20 odd hours later i'm still Nosferatu. :)
    / mmmmm Rats, lovely free & abundant.

Great game, lots of replayability from the different Bloodlines & Clans it seems. Really enjoying this one and it's nice to know HL2 will run sweet as well.

/ Obfuscates - gone

Edited by jellyhead at 11:17:12 22-11-2004

This signature intentionally left blank.

• kalel 22 Nov 2004 11:14:57 87,910 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ****SPOILER****

I did the haunted mansion last night and found it to be one of the scariest parts of any game I have ever played. I really wasn't in the mood for it to be honest, but despite my determination not to be scared and just get through it, I literally had nightmares.

Good stuff.
  • jellyhead 22 Nov 2004 11:48:07 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone got any decent websites for it, i know it's new but not even Troika have anything. Just wanted some background etc relevant to the game. Cheers.

• UncleLou Moderator 22 Nov 2004 11:49:23 35,605 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The official homepage is here, but it's a mess to navigate.
  • jellyhead 22 Nov 2004 11:50:31 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers!
    I was going to TroikaGames and they just say "Website Coming Soon".

• Whizzo 22 Nov 2004 12:18:22 43,151 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This site is the best one I've found so far for the game. The forum is reasonable for hints if you're that way inclined.

The levels seem fine to me, the Malkavian loony bin was a bit odd but then it should be but the Ocean House Hotel was great. Ploughing through identical levels for the car park was a bit tedious but I suppose it should be really but executing everyone was fun even if there was a much more sneaky way to achieve the goal.

Very glad I'm going Ventrue first run through, being able to dominate people helps a lot with conversations and hitting trance has made the "don't kill anyone" missions doable.

This space left intentionally blank.

• jellyhead 22 Nov 2004 12:31:34 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Very glad I'm going Ventrue first run through, being able to dominate people helps a lot with conversations and hitting trance has made the "don't kill anyone" missions doable.

Nosferatu's Obfuscate is ace as well, just steal past people.
    Though I was standing still in a hallway with 5 Malkavians milling around me last night, so it can get you into bother as well. Didn't. Want. To. Move. At. All. They'd have creamed me. :#

edit:MalkAvians not Malkovians, they ain't actors Jelly. :(

Edited by jellyhead at 09:36:11 23-11-2004

• kalel 22 Nov 2004 12:33:08 87,910 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm playing as Tramere, but I have Trance too, thank god. In Masquerade areas it is just about essential as far as I can tell.
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Nov 2004 00:05:29 35,605 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Must get around to using suicide more, telling someone to drop dead is rather nice. As is discovering the vampire from the "Way it's meant to be played" video is in the game...

Bloody hell, I know now what you mean.

/is in love

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

As awesome as she is, I couldn't
    bring myself to kill Julius for her.

SPOILER END

I wonder when they go one step further with games - I mean, Vampire is pretty explicit already, so surely a little bit of nudity wouldn't hurt noone?

/is a sad case
  • Whizzo 23 Nov 2004 00:07:58 43,151 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I saw her first!

edit: and I did the same thing, so that's maxed humanity now even after losing a point killing a certain ghoul earlier in the game...

Edited by Whizzo at 00:09:02 23-11-2004

• kalel 23 Nov 2004 00:46:11 87,910 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Shivoa 23 Nov 2004 02:56:45 5,677 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /rejoins forum.

Got to say I'm reallly enjoying this. Probably getting my game of the year despite the obvious technical problems (animation doesn't have vertex weighting, sound sync problems, general slowdown looking in some directions due to lack of poly culling, no 5.1 support, general problems with FSAA support, lots of small things not helped by being more resource intensive than HL2 or Doom3 without the same sheen).

As I've said before Deus Ex probably get my all time award for best gameplay irrelevant of any other cool factors going for it and Bloodlines really does take the same path. The dice based combat (even if you can't see it) is great, something I'd have prefered in Deus Ex. I like the options for stealth or fighting or conversation in many sections and then imposed sections where you have to do your best for short sections. I like the choices I've made having a lasting change. I like the living world, even if the frame rates aren't great.

>I couldn't bring myself to kill Julius for her.

Wimps :) You should do what your women ask and enjoy a few more blood baths (I've still managed to keep my humanity, despite enjoying blood and being Toreador (I wanted a blank clan for my first playthrough and they just about walk the middle path in options terms)).

On the topic of character creation I misguidedly decided to play a female character so the seduce skill would work on the more important diaogues (men are usually the ones with important dialogue that can be seduction influenced in my experience of RPGs) which seems to have not been needed at all but add more spice to the already charged dialogue with female NPCs.

Once you get into Hollywood you do start to see the real skill in the modelling (that came out wrong, I mean time into game, not that Hollywood is filled with naked models or anything). I think when you first play it you're not used to the style of the models and by the time you get there then you've been immersed in it long enough which is why she seems to be the first character to really click.

>I wonder when they go one step further with games - I mean, Vampire is pretty explicit already, so surely a little bit of nudity wouldn't hurt noone?

The problem is the stick you will get for going down that path if it gets mentioned in previews or reviews. Luckily Bloodlines has avoided reviews that center on the 'breast physics' as it hasn't been sold on the issue but if it really went down that path often then you'd get a lot of quite derogative remarks about trying to sell on sex. It seems like something game designers have to accept, until it really does look like a film then you won't be able to make much use of onscreen sex (I noticed Bloodlines tastefully blanks out the screen, similar to GTA:SA's outside house view) as most people think of it as a cheap marketing ploy and not a valid form of character development.

SPOILER SPOILER

Really enjoyed the haunted house. Very stand out level for me.

Just got to some more sewers and I'm sure I've gone the wrong way somewhere as there hasn't been an autosave for ages, loads and loads of pointless combat with no end is site, and this evening I hit a point that requires a passkey with no way round and I haven't got it so looks like I'll be backtracking and killing off all the enemies I just decided to run past in the previous half hour slog. First section I haven't really enjoyed going through (in the Hollywood missions it is)

END SPOILER

• UncleLou Moderator 23 Nov 2004 08:20:33 35,605 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shivoa wrote:

Once you get into Hollywood you do start to see the real skill in the modelling (that came out wrong, I mean time into game, not that Hollywood is filled with naked models or anything). I think when you first play it you're not used to the style of the models and by the time you get there then you've been immersed in it long enough which is why she seems to be the first character to really click.

Not too sure about that, in my opinion, the quality of the models varies wildly - some are incredibly good (the Prince, the "twins", Velvet), while on others, obviously a lot of less time has been spent. One can't expect them to model so many NPCs to perfection, though.

Oh, another thing, Whizzo and Shiv, you should be past this already:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

After the mission at the primpgen's house, I had to tell the Prince that I met Nines Rodriguez. I had three dialogue options, but all three were more or less the same. I really didn't want to tell him about Nines. Did that happen to you, too? Maybe a bug?

SPOILER END
  • Whizzo 23 Nov 2004 08:29:05 43,151 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    *Spoiler continuing from UL's spoiler*

I'm pretty sure it's not a bug, Nines was looking incredibly guilty outside the mansion and there would be no reason not to have told LeCroix no matter how much the player may not have wanted to. Especially as you found one of the Primogen murdered, he'd at least have to explain himself.

• UncleLou Moderator 23 Nov 2004 08:38:36 35,605 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SPOILER STILL CONTINUED

Nines was looking incredibly guilty outside the mansion

Heh, never heard of "in dubio pro reo"? ;-) I guess the facial animation betrayed him.

Some details in the game I find pretty amusing:

- the side blows at the Bush administration
    - the posters in the Internet café (Park Ranger - a first person shooter - "Not in my park, Buddy!"; "Need to Read")
    - um, a few more things I have forgotten now :-D

Edited by UncleLou at 08:38:57 23-11-2004
  • Hicksy 23 Nov 2004 10:10:48 2,594 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    very tempted by this!

/waits for a price drop
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Nov 2004 10:31:52 35,605 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ha, you wouldn't wait if you saw Velvet! :-)
  • Whizzo 23 Nov 2004 10:36:27 43,151 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My F10 key is feeling a bit wonky now... ;-)

• UncleLou Moderator 23 Nov 2004 10:39:48 35,605 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heh, can't you host a few? Might stir up some more interest in the game amongst the forumites here. :-)
  • templar-wizard 23 Nov 2004 10:51:00 3,153 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    my controls have decided to go insane. delay on the key input and then when it does respond, the key is locked, so my hot-lesbo-vampire-bitch strafes or similar into a wall.

very annoying.
    come on trokia, i love the game and i would like to finish it!
  • templar-wizard 23 Nov 2004 11:00:39 3,153 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    apparantly here is the solution to floaty movement:

play it in Win98 compatability. turn showdows down for in game slowdown.

and it works!

• Shivoa 23 Nov 2004 11:57:51 5,677 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    *Spoiler continuing from UL's spoiler*

I'm pretty sure it's not a bug, Nines was looking incredibly guilty outside the mansion and there would be no reason not to have told LeCroix no matter how much the player may not have wanted to. Especially as you found one of the Primogen murdered, he'd at least have to explain himself.
    STILL SPOILERING

I wondered after I did that dialogue about the alternatives. As I rushed to him to tell him about it I thought you might be able to go to the anarchs first and talk to them and so Nines would explain himself, although that much divergence would cause about 30% of the dialogue and plot past that point to change and so probably isn't an option for content creation reasons. Something to try on the second playthrough I guess.

>Some details in the game I find pretty amusing:

It's great. You get some lovely dialogue options to rip into the Bush administration at times and the sheer volume of Troika jokes are great. Hacking terminals is great fun just to read all the emails about. (For anyone who has read the emails in the cyber cafe) I can't wait to unlock that hidden clan once I complete the game :)
  • Whizzo 23 Nov 2004 12:06:08 43,151 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spoilering continues...

I didn't do it but I bet Nines wouldn't have been there if you had visited The Last Round.

Calling a blood hunt on the nominal "leader" of the Anarchs based on the words of a young vampire is quite extreme. Unless Nines had disappeared so they couldn't question him it's obvious that La Croix wanted the slightest excuse to go after him. I have no idea how the game will end but I really hope the Prince is toppled, he's a complete git even for a Ventrue.

Spoilering ends

I think you can tell the original guys behind Fallout are now Troika, the conversation trees and the fair amount of freedom to handle missions is great.

Edited by Whizzo at 12:07:59 23-11-2004

• Nemesis 24 Nov 2004 14:40:00 18,657 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You know, I've been watching this thread with interest. I don't know much about the V:TM background, is this going to be a problem?

What do we all think a few days in? New game love, or is it a genuine quality game?
  • jellyhead 24 Nov 2004 15:08:13 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't know much about Masquerade either but you get the gist of it in the game so it's not a problem.
    Hmmmm, i'm about a third of the way in i think and i think it's unpolished in many places, spelling can be attrocious, some names in dialog are different to the actual place names, had a nightmare while swimming last night, some of the cutscenes are ropey with models spazzing out etc, sometimes feels like a stage set rather than a city.

Some people say Troika sat on this game until HL2 was released but i'm not convinced, it's finished but feels rushed or lacking polish, i think it was due another few weeks beta-testing and tidying up but they were pushed to release it so they could catch the wave of Source engine publicity. imho.

But...
    It is still a terrific game, very atmospheric, quite open in how you achieve missions, looks gorgeous at times, quite gritty without resorting to swearing every-other-word, nice varied story and much replayability due to the differences in clans and their abilities and the RPG stats make for subtle differences also.

Hopefully a patch will fix most glitches but remember it's NOT a shooter! It looks like one and walks like one but if you play it like one you'll get creamed.

edit: spelling like a Grauniad journalist.

Edited by jellyhead at 15:08:51 24-11-2004

• Nemesis 24 Nov 2004 15:11:21 18,657 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ta Jells.

Anyone else ?
  • UncleLou Moderator 24 Nov 2004 15:21:41 35,605 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    You know, I've been watching this thread with interest. I don't know much about the V:TM background, is this going to be a problem?

What do we all think a few days in? New game love, or is it a genuine quality game?

I know nothing at all about the background, and I dare say it's not necessary at all. Manual and in-game texts are excellent, as is the (skippable) tutorial.

And it's a genuine quality game. I've been playing it more than HL2 since I bought it last week. And I can't wait to continue playing tonight. HL2 will have to wait. :-)
  • kalel 24 Nov 2004 15:22:54 87,910 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So far I'm really enjoying it. It is buggy as hell, but I've never been one to get too bothered by that. It's playable.

I know nothing about the previous game either btw Nem.
  • Nemesis 24 Nov 2004 15:33:39 18,657 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks everyone. I'll examine the Trade pile at home and I might pick this up.
  • Dynamize 24 Nov 2004 15:44:00 1,672 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't think you need to know anything about the White Wolf stuff, it's all explained well enough in-game. Though I imagine people who're up on their Masquerade stuff will get to knowingly grin at some stuff that just goes over my head. Knowing about it could go against the immersive experience in a way though, it's nice to be naieve and blunder about learning vampire things :)
    Same as jellyhead for me on the whole I think.
    Some shocking spelling errors (that conjur up images of feverish typing to meet a deadline or something), obvious cosmetic changes to the script the voice actors were given that weren't put into the subtitles, that sort of thing. Niggling rather than deal-breaking.
    Performance seems pretty ropey too, somewhat galling when I compare it to my HL2 experience (which was, by and large, flawless on my AMD64 3200+ and Rad98), memory leaks and such.
    On the plus side, excellent voice acting, overall script and story (from what I've done so far the story's well executed). Plenty of optional side quests to wander off and do, which I like.
    Atmosphere's well executed I think. Not well-versed in goth stuff but it seems "authentic" enough. It also has being an adult game that's actually done in an adult fashion going for it i.e. a mature script with mature content, and mature isn't automatically defaulted to "Swear. Lots."

Combat's OK, handled competently rather than being great, but then this is an RPG rather than a dedicated FPS/3rd person action game.
    Waffled on enough I think. My take on it: It's an awesome RPG, it looks very pretty, there's plenty to do and see, characters and situations are compelling, it's FUN, I feel more engaged by it than HL2.
  • Page

of 16 First / Last