Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines powered by Valve engine Page 3

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• pjmaybe 17 Nov 2004 15:10:55 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Better to be a lover than a fighter

/screws barmaid's younger and slightly better looking sister.

Peej
  • Tiger_Walts 17 Nov 2004 15:19:00 16,522 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /screws barmaids' milfy mother with aid of the "You're their mother? I thought you were their sister." line.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Whizzo 17 Nov 2004 17:59:53 42,760 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And it's shipped, nice to see Simply getting things a tad early again.

I wonder if you can be Caitiff in this? I always rather enjoyed being clanless in the PnP game. Not having any clan responsibilities was good, everyone else in the Camarilla probably wanting you dead is fun too.

This space left intentionally blank.

• kururin 17 Nov 2004 18:20:26 1,211 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    oooooooooh. shipage.
  • Khab 18 Nov 2004 00:38:06 6,576 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just noticed it's "out" already - on at least one of the torrent sites...shame. :/
  • Dagon 18 Nov 2004 00:42:57 385 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shame because you're going to download it instead of buying, or shame because you're going to wait with downloading it and go straight to buying when it hits home?
  • Khab 18 Nov 2004 00:45:11 6,576 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm waiting for my new PC parts to arrive anywho, and I will be playing HL2 first when I get those, so I think I'll prolly buy this one after checking to see what the reviews/the lads here say about it.
  • Dagon 18 Nov 2004 00:45:16 385 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    46% btw. :D

And before anyone says anything. You're damn right I'm buying it!
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Nov 2004 00:45:45 35,172 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Khab wrote:
    Just noticed it's "out" already - on at least one of the torrent sites...shame. :/

These little wankers are annoying me more by the minute. I just don't get it. A coward's crime, and a pathetic attempt at trying to look like a "anarchist", if that's their intention.
  • Khab 18 Nov 2004 01:15:14 6,576 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, I've already downloaded HL2, so I can't really take the high ground here. I've only done it 'cos I want the Collector's Edition, but I can't keep myself contained another four weeks with you lot blabbing on about how good it is on this here forum...

Not an excuse, just an explanation, btw. :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Nov 2004 08:35:30 35,172 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /waggles finger

Naughty Scandinavian! ;)

Gamespot and IGN reviews are up and don't sound overly enthusiastic. Now these aren't exactly the sources I rely on, but still.

I need more forumites' impressions!
  • templar-wizard 18 Nov 2004 08:37:33 3,153 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    its good, combat isnt the best, its ok, but the meat of the game is the expolartion and dialogue. same as Deus Ex in that regard.

do really need to know more?
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Nov 2004 08:44:34 35,172 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hehe, not really.

The thing is, "The Fall" was released here this week, too, and I don't know which I should buy first. Or if I should buy "The Fall" at all, that is.
  • Whizzo 19 Nov 2004 20:28:40 42,760 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Turned up today and I've been playing it this evening, between sneezes and coughs from the cold I've got at the moment and I'm rather impressed.

It's very, very good. Comparisons with Deus Ex seem right on the money and I do mean the first one, I just couldn't get into the sequel at all.

It does seem to have slightly higher system requirements than HL2 but I think that's more likely down to having a large sized city area with lots of NPCs than anything else. Indoors it runs a lot quicker. Combat is mostly fine, it switches to 3rd person for melee and stays in first person for gun usage.

I'm playing it in preference to HL2 if that's any indication of how much I'm enjoying it.

Oh well back to the game and I know I shouldn't be manipulated by Jeanette but I just can't help it...

• yegon 19 Nov 2004 20:48:12 4,904 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I plan on getting this shortly. Is it buggy? If so, I'll probably wait 'til after the first patch. My memories of the first one are more bug related than game related.

By the sounds of it I woudln't be surprised if I enjoy Vampire a lot more than HL2 - although very good, I don't feel HL2 is the zenith of gaming like some believe, I'm finding it just too confining/scripted and the combat is....okay. Tbh, the reaction to HL2 just confirms to me how far people will be wowed by graphics - its a good game but strip away the fantastic graphics and it just feels like an onrails shooter, albeit with an unparalelled physics engine and high production values.
  • urban 19 Nov 2004 21:51:20 10,893 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lets just say, it doesnt run as well as what half life 2 does on my laptop.

and they didnt really get a good animator on the faces, but alot of the time, its a truely amazing game, i dont know how i'm gonna split my time up between, photography, gta, half life 2, work, my girlie, and vampires

/ponders
  • Dagon 19 Nov 2004 22:22:29 385 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not sure you want yet anoter game that's going to take up all your time?! :o
  • UncleLou Moderator 20 Nov 2004 00:04:19 35,172 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bought this today - I have only played the tutorial, and then switched it off after my framerate went down to single figures in the first "real" area when a few cops turned up after I messed around a bit. :-/

It looks, and runs, a lot worse than HL2, a lot. The facial animations are several steps back, too, compared to HL2. Wish they would have had a bit more support from Valve on how to use the Source engine. Anyway, I can't say anything about the game itself yet, but it's a bit of a shock to see something so comparatively unpolished now - lots of clipping, strange fading to black in the cut-scenes, you can hear the sound of several more footsteps even when you stopped walking, etc. etc.
  • kencleary 20 Nov 2004 01:59:36 237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are you really having that bad performance Uncle Lou? Running damn smooth for me with all options maxed out.

As for the game I am really really loving it. Brilliant humour , the detail in the clan system is amazing, plot is motoring nicely along, it has some of the most impressive set pieces ive seen (wait til you get to the hotel), amazing graphics (though I havent played HL2). The Combat isnt great, its slightly similar to the system in Gothic II which I hated.

To me its the true spiritual successor to Deus Ex and I really cant wait to finish it and replay it using a different clan and skills.
  • Phattso Moderator 20 Nov 2004 02:28:57 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've not had any performance issues, but I do concur that the production values seem a little...lacking in places. Considering how long the release was delayed (waiting for HL2 to hit) I wonder why the annoying little issues weren't ironed out.

That said - very immersive game, and I'm enjoying it. Looks like being quite sizeable, too, with some replay value in there for people that have the time.
  • Whizzo 20 Nov 2004 16:38:05 42,760 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Performance is fine on my 9800Pro powered PC, it has a noticeable framerate drop in the open city areas as I mentioned in a post above but it's not unplayable in the least.

Now getting further into the game, done a fair amount of things Downtown and have a regular revenue stream which is nice.

Being Ventrue is quite good, being able to trance enemies then pounce on them offsets the inability to prey on the numerous ladies of the night for a blood top up. It came as a bit of a surprise throwing up after spending 40 bucks I can tell you! I suppose they're not really of a high enough status though...

Edit: hmm ponce/pounce are just slightly different in meaning...

Edited by Whizzo at 18:30:37 20-11-2004

• Orange 20 Nov 2004 18:13:58 4,564 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I want this, not got a lot of time for it right now but that will soon change. Only thing is that I'm not sure if I should wait a bit for some patches to come out first.
  • Dagon 20 Nov 2004 18:17:18 385 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not super-buggy so far.. but there are small things.. most of the problems I've encountered are also in hl2 though, so that's just my videocard drivers. :|
  • Petrarch 20 Nov 2004 18:26:16 3,424 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dagon wrote:
    It's not super-buggy so far.. but there are small things.. most of the problems I've encountered are also in hl2 though, so that's just my videocard drivers. :|

I could do with upgrading mine as I'm still running 4.8 Catalyst and I get the odd glitch in HL 2 (nothing worth fussing over as it's few and far between) but I hear that 4.10 doesn't work too well with CoD which I've just started in multiplayer, so I need to wait for the 4.11.
  • Whizzo 20 Nov 2004 18:33:53 42,760 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's got little bits here and there that could do with a patch but nothing that's going to ruin your game playing. The conversations are some times a bit glitchy, with pauses and slight jitteryness but you get used to it. With HL2 having some issues with sound perhaps it's a Source problem rather than the game itself.

Crawling around air ducts, breaking into buildings and nicking stuff is soooo Deus Ex it's obvious where they got some inspiration. There's so much to do as well, I've only visited two of the areas on the map and I've had plenty of things to do and still to do.

I can see there being plenty of replay value in this, as a Ventrue I've been able to talk my way into and out of situations, being in a different clan would make quite a bit of difference.

Edited by Whizzo at 18:35:35 20-11-2004

• UncleLou Moderator 20 Nov 2004 23:29:06 35,172 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Played it for quite some time now - the story is good, and the different (dialogue) options and how you can influence the story with your choices are brilliant, but the level design is very basic, and the gameplay elements like stealth, FPS or melee combat are very shoddy. The latter is downright silly and feels like in a low-budget beat-em-up game.

In many respects, it feels like a 5 or 6 years old game, but the story, characters, different choices etc. means I am pretty much hooked.

This means that I am also torn while I am playing it - as soon as I can make a decision which influences the story, I am prepared to give this a 10/10 score - and as soon as it's more about the gameplay itself, I find it very mediocre.
  • UncleLou Moderator 21 Nov 2004 00:55:42 35,172 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Played another mission that was just awful, in that...

MINI-SPOILERS

mansion on the outskirts of LA (an extra place on the map). The whole level looks like it's been cut-out from a game of the mid 90ies. Not for a second does it feel like a real building, and the puzzles are ultra-lame. It didn't help that it's huge without anything really happening except for the same kind of boring enemies in every second room.

SPOILER END

And then afterwards, the story continues, and it's excellent again.

/implodes because he loves and hates the game at the same time
  • kencleary 21 Nov 2004 03:37:37 237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmmmm

MORE_SPOILERS

Was that the Malkavian Mansion? If so yeah it was rather crap but thankfully it was over quick. I excuesd the level design, given that it was supposedly designed by a crazy person which made sense :)

I hope you weren't talking about the haunted hotel because I found that building rather excellent :)

END SPOOILER

• Whizzo 22 Nov 2004 11:01:34 42,760 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Still loving the game despite its small flaws. Doing the retrieve the briefcase mission like the Terminator, even as a Ventrue, was fun. I do love my shotgun for dealing damage and fortitude for soaking up other peoples.

Must get around to using suicide more, telling someone to drop dead is rather nice. As is discovering the vampire from the "Way it's meant to be played" video is in the game...

Edited by Whizzo at 11:02:26 22-11-2004

• UncleLou Moderator 22 Nov 2004 11:11:16 35,172 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So, am I the only one who thinks the levels are rather lame? An overly simplistic architecture, the same props over and over again, some incredibly samey and bland corridors - this is really sucking a lot of fun out of the game for me, it's just no fun exploring the levels.

Like I said though, the story is mostly making up for this.

Not to mention some of the rather hot females in the game...
  • Page

of 16 First / Last