Burgled...

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • pjmaybe 21 Apr 2005 14:13:13 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No I haven't been lately but was once and I kinda wondered if anyone else here has been.

Was burgled one christmas day (yep, some twisted ratfuck was going around on christmas day looking for someone to burgle, that's fucked up!) and had my entire C64 collection stolen (pretty substantial it was at the time). Insurance was crap and covered about 200 quids worth of it but obviously that doesn't make up for a large games collection and all the other gubbins.

Since then I've been completely paranoid about being burgled again and have mad security in whichever house I'm living in (probably just as well).

So what do you guys and gals do? Have you ever been burgled?

Peej
  • Nexus_6 21 Apr 2005 14:17:02 3,883 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i know a guy who had his turd burgled once

beavis and butthead rule
  • Blerk Moderator 21 Apr 2005 14:18:50 48,225 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've not been burgled directly, but my friend was and he had some of my games which got nicked. His insurance was really good and paid for everything - just told him how much cash he qualified for and asked him to make a list of everything he wanted. He elected not to replace his stolen Dreamcast and to instead have a brand new PS2 and tons of games.

I'm completely paranoid about security, though. Big locks on everything, monster alarm on the house, everything locked up tight even when I'm in. Bastards.

/cocks shotgun
    /protects RPG collection
  • sephy 21 Apr 2005 14:22:24 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    rhythm wrote:
    My own insurers have placed a condition on my policy saying I've to lock my doors at night now even if I'm in

Common sense really. My parents do it as a rule. Makes it more noisy when I come in at 5am from work, but oh well ;p
  • Pinchy 21 Apr 2005 14:26:16 842 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have been burgled and had stuff nicked that was never replaced. I can safely say that thieves and burglers are scum and I'd have no problem with draconian measures to stop them, i.e. removal of fingers for persistent offenders. lets see you break in with 3 digits, fucker!

/doesn't vote conservative
  • Lutz 21 Apr 2005 14:26:48 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As a kid my dads house was burgled no less than 4 times.

My mum also got burgled, and did the really neat thing of getting an alarm afterwards.

As I rent I refuse to live in a house with no alarm and a decent front and back door.
  • ssuellid 21 Apr 2005 14:44:24 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Had my scooter nicked from the car port at the beginning of the year. Currently looking into alarms and PC video system.

At uni I had a bike nicked and someone broke into the house when everyone was away. Nothing was nicked apart from my Toni Halliday poster.
  • Mike_Hunt 21 Apr 2005 14:46:35 23,523 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    Had my scooter nicked from the car port at the beginning of the year. Currently looking into alarms and PC video system.

At uni I had a bike nicked and someone broke into the house when everyone was away. Nothing was nicked apart from my Toni Halliday poster.
    Did you spot that camera I linked to in the "security camera" thread I created a few days back? It's about 80 + 20 P&P for a wireless network camera that has a night mode.

A friend's got one and it's the dogs danglies apparently.

[MH]
  • Retroid Moderator 21 Apr 2005 14:47:47 44,803 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've never been burgled personally, neither has my family.

But friends have been and I've lost things I've loaned to them in the process. Amiga1200s, hard drives, game collections, that kind of thing.

:/

/Locks up out of habit anyway

'tis a good habit to have

Edited by Retroid at 14:48:17 21-04-2005
  • pjmaybe 21 Apr 2005 14:49:09 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    Nothing was nicked apart from my Toni Halliday poster.

Oh well at least the thieving scumbag had good taste in women.

Peej
  • sephy 21 Apr 2005 14:50:06 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    on a sidenote, if anyone stole my my Final Fantasy collection (its mahoosive) I would hnut them down with a cricket bat and cut their testicles off with a hacksaw
  • Jetset_UK 21 Apr 2005 14:51:25 3,565 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got done quite recently actually, broke through the front windown (basement flat) and nicked my laptop and a digital camera. Obviously didnt snoop around too much, as there was 50 quid cash next to my desktop PC.

Police were great, came round withing 20 mins, and a fingerprint lady was round the next day. Turns out it was a 25 year old she, with a 5 year old kid, and a 300 a day crack habit. The detective who came round said she was gonna get 3 to 5 years.

/didn't shed a tear.

Well I got a sexy new Sony laptop from the PC world insurance (my boss bought it for me to work on, I hate PC World myself), got a much better camera, and 2 glastonbury tickets with the change. :)

• ssuellid 21 Apr 2005 14:51:39 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:It's about 80 + 20 P&P for a wireless network camera that has a night mode.
    [MH]

They are easy to block tho. Just get yourself something that stamps on 2.4GHz and its goodbye picture. A dodgy alternator, tweaked CB, videosender or even a microwave will knock it out.

I have enough problems with my own wireless network at the moment and it having fun with my other 2.4GHz kit.

I'm think I'll be going for a wired Sony CCD based system.

• sam_spade 21 Apr 2005 14:53:15 15,745 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jetset_UK wrote:
    Police were great, came round withing 20 mins, and a fingerprint lady was round the next day. Turns out it was a 25 year old she, with a 5 year old kid, and a 300 a day crack habit. The detective who came round said she was gonna get 3 to 5 years.

So the woman who did the fingerprints was the one who did it?
  • pjmaybe 21 Apr 2005 14:54:17 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:

That'd be my advice too. Wired system every time. It's a rigmarole to put in some houses (ours in particular, as the cable routes are fucking useless) but well worth it. No interference, no pissing about trying to get a signal, scart straight into the back of the telly or AV straight into the back of the PC with time lapse recording.

Peej
  • sephy 21 Apr 2005 14:56:00 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    Mike_Hunt wrote:It's about 80 + 20 P&P for a wireless network camera that has a night mode.
    [MH]

They are easy to block tho. Just get yourself something that stamps on 2.4GHz and its goodbye picture. A dodgy alternator, tweaked CB, videosender or even a microwave will knock it out.

I have enough problems with my own wireless network at the moment and it having fun with my other 2.4GHz kit.

I think it depends on the kit tbh. I've seen lots about such things, but my dad's pc and laptop both work fine on the wifi (it's all running at 2.4g .11b) and they are located between two videosenders

The microwave doesn't affect the video sender oeither
  • unwashed 21 Apr 2005 14:56:01 1,857 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All of which reminds me I really must get my contents insurance sorted out... Slightly under-protected with 30K coverage...
  • Mike_Hunt 21 Apr 2005 14:56:13 23,523 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    [MH]

Well they do a wired version for 50.

The standard CCTV systems seemed like a complete pain in the arse to set up, and very costly too when you take the fact that you'll need controller cards and probably a dedicated server to manage them also.

Personally I'd rather pay less than 100 for a solution that did the same thing and was easier to set up. As for the wireless signal blockers... that's not really a concern. The most high-tech piece of equipment that Manchunian criminals possess is a brick. :)

[MH]
  • boo 21 Apr 2005 15:04:10 11,795 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had various cars broken into over the years.
    Bastards.
    Actually caught one in the act - I opened the back door to put my case on the backseat and thought I'd got the wrong car as there was someone in the front passenger seat.
    It was my car, the bastard was trying to hotwire it. Had to get the RAC out to repair it - the bloke said the scumbag was about 30 seconds away from getting the engine started. If I'd been on the next tube - no car.
    As it was I was so flabbergasted I just froze up. All I could think of was - I can't chase him while I'm carrying a briefcase and umbrella, and I can't lock it in the car because he's broken the lock.
    The number of times I've gone over it in my mind in the last couple of years... sod the case, I can get another one. I'm furious with myself for not chasing the bloke.

Fortunately never been done at home, although when I moved in with the Mrs and brought the hi-fi, cd's, games etc the insurance company insisted on us getting a decent alarm system and nothing, other than our bedroom window, being open at night.

Some friends up in Milton Keynes were watching a film one night and had turned the lights out. They heard what they thought was a cat, he went to investigate and found some bloke in their kitchen who promptly legged it out and over the garden wall.
    The police turned up within 10 minutes, drove Campbell round the streets on the off chance that they could find him and then offered to give him five minutes alone with the bloke if they did!

Just Another Lego Blog

• ssuellid 21 Apr 2005 15:11:59 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dunno. I'd rather spend an extra 100 and get the controller and software and a system that works.
  • ssuellid 21 Apr 2005 15:17:55 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rhythm wrote:
    Just redone mine - 15K. Remember it's the replacement value, not the value as new. (so my telly that I paid 800 for can be replaced at the same quality for under 400 and so on)

Mines not. Its the new cost. So where the previous few policies.
  • Mike_Hunt 21 Apr 2005 15:20:41 23,523 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    Dunno. I'd rather spend an extra 100 and get the controller and software and a system that works.
    Aye mate. Whatever suits your needs best. For me the low cost and easy cable free installation sells it for me.

They seem to do everything I want, and I'm not sure what advantages the normal CCTV system you describe offer over it. I think I'll be fine providing I'm not targetted by a thief with an EMP!

[MH]
  • ssuellid 21 Apr 2005 15:23:03 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rhythm wrote:Who are you insured with? That seems very odd for a modern insurer

Halifax. Before that through a broker - not sure on the actual insurer.

Edited by ssuellid at 15:23:21 21-04-2005
  • ssuellid 21 Apr 2005 15:28:00 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rhythm wrote:
    That's really really odd. I'd check your policy book and check they've not given you "new for old".

It is new for old. And we have whopped up the insurance value to cover the actual cost. All the policies I have ever had have been 'new for old'.
  • Dougs 21 Apr 2005 15:29:35 68,061 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got burgled just after Uni in the shared house I was in. They got away with half my mate's CD collection (about 200 cds - from A-K if I remember rightly!). They must have been disturbed by my mate when he came home....the side window they bolted out of was open and a knife was lying on the floor...

I got away scot free, although they had started to bag up some Christmas presents I'd bought for my niece and nephew which really fucking annoyed me.

Its strange, before it happened I never really got what people meant about it being an invasion of privacy....as soon as it happened, I knew exactly what they meant!
  • sephy 21 Apr 2005 15:34:09 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    It just occurred to me that i'm insured for 3k of anime, and a 3k value on my FF stuff :) The cost? about 3 a month :)
  • ssuellid 21 Apr 2005 15:35:30 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ?

Have you got me mixed up with someone else in the thread?

We work out how much cover we need every year and only get insured for that amount. No point getting over insured. Same with the buildings insurance.
  • ssuellid 21 Apr 2005 15:42:07 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    lol, I was thinking I'd typed something you were referring to and forgotten all about it but could not find it in the thread.
  • tiddles 21 Apr 2005 15:50:20 3,555 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    When I was burgled they stole the PS2 and the Xbox but not the Gamecube. Oddly enough they did take my NTSC copy of Mario Sunshine, though. They thoughtfully left the PS2 memory cards behind so I wouldn't lose my saves.
  • Killerbee 21 Apr 2005 16:26:22 5,016 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had some fucker steal the whole front bumper off my car once. The didn't bother to smash the window and rip out my CD player or swipe the CDs from the glovebox. Nope, they just unbolted the whole bumper and nicked off with it.

Bizarre, but the police reckoned it was probably stolen to order. Ended up having to make an insurance claim (new bumpers are surprisingly expensive and at the time I was unsurprisingly poor) and lost my no claims, so even 3 and a half years later I'm still paying for the actions of a complete selfish cunt (pardon my anglo-saxon).

/increases blood temperature
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous