Uber - good or bad? Page 2

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• nickthegun 25 Jun 2015 14:12:07 72,033 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ive never had to be repeatedly told 'they are just around the corner, mate' by an über driver, so 'good'.
  • Benno 25 Jun 2015 14:15:12 11,687 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think Uber is great. I use them whenever I am in London. I wish they'd speed up their northern expansion
  • disusedgenius 25 Jun 2015 14:15:28 8,688 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's a weird one: I agree with most of the London cabbie's issues with it, the company is run by a cunt and seems to treat it's drivers pretty badly.

But, goddamnit, it's so convenient to use. :(
  • Psiloc 25 Jun 2015 14:24:05 4,179 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've never used Uber, but I did regard the black cab go-slow as "allow us to continue to be overpriced and inefficient and have no competition, or else we'll do this kind of shit". Personally I don't think London cabbies give a shit how Uber drivers are treated or how well they're paid.

I do take pity on people who've been overtaken by the times, it is their livelihood, but I don't see why they should expect legislation to stand in the way of progress for them. No industry should get that kind of protection IMO, you either remain competitive in a free market or you GTFO.
  • CosmicFuzz 25 Jun 2015 14:24:14 32,057 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a certain irony to cabbies going on strike and forcing anyone who wants a taxi to use alternative like Uber. I'm sure once they realise it's cheaper and more convenient they'll be right behind you guys.
  • senso-ji 25 Jun 2015 15:26:06 8,128 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't use Uber or regular taxis, but don't feel sympathy for the later because in a free market, you should expect competition. In other countries, taxis are heavily regulated, including maximum fare charges; if the government stepped in with that kind of legistlation, they'd also protest.
  • spindizzy 25 Jun 2015 15:34:26 7,681 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As a punter, it's brilliant. It's half the price of official cabs here in Geneva. I've used it here, Rome and London. No complaints.
  • Deleted user 25 June 2015 15:53:09
    as long as the uber drivers are licensed then i am all for competition.

My worry is me or my family getting into an unlicensed vehicle and being sodomized for our troube
  • Zidargh 25 Jun 2015 15:58:47 1,894 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As someone who lives close to London but not directly in it (I'm in Surrey), I actually find Uber to be a rip-off.

On countless nights out in town, despite seeing an abundance of car icons, I'm then given that 'surge pricing' screen meaning I'd save about a tenner if I used them instead of a black cab. There are actually taxi companies that will get me back home cheaper if I book in advance.

The UX is fantastic and I think it is the future in terms of its business model, but as far as companies go, I resent how aggressively they're taking on not just traditional taxi firms but also other app service providers like Lyft in California.

When I was in LA I found Lyft drivers to be incredibly friendly AND they get to keep all of their fare. I supported them because I felt they're doing a job to keep the likes of Uber in check. In response, Uber are paying $500 to Lyft drivers who defect as well to the Uber drivers who approached them.
  • CosmicFuzz 25 Jun 2015 16:15:36 32,057 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Defecationqueen wrote:
    Isn't there a massive risk in an unlicensed 'taxi' driver collecting solitary female passengers? I know that even licensed taxi services are not completely safe, but surely Uber makes it even easier for predators to operate?

Or is there a secure vetting process that ensures all Uber drivers have to prove their identity and credibility?

* I know absolutely nothing about Uber having never used it, so may be missing something blindingly obvious in terms of passenger safety.
    What's to stop a regular black cabbie from doing the same? It's not like they do police searches before they're hired either.

In fact, with Uber, if there was a dodgy driver, you'd have the exact car etc saved in your phone from when they were sent out. Arguably even safer, no?
  • disusedgenius 25 Jun 2015 16:17:34 8,688 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not like they do police searches before they're hired either.
    They do searches for both Black Cabbies and Uber drivers, fwiw.
  • CosmicFuzz 25 Jun 2015 16:18:54 32,057 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, shows what I know! Interesting.
  • CosmicFuzz 25 Jun 2015 16:20:11 32,057 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Defecationqueen wrote:
    @CosmicFuzz I see what you mean, but just because they are driving a vehicle doesn't necessarily mean it is registered to them.

Taxi licences presumably prevent this issue.
    Well I'm guessing the Uber car has to be registered, just like a black cab. Unless you mean some random could steal an Uber-registered car and use it? Someone could do the same with a black cab.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 25 Jun 2015 16:23:38 9,904 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He means registered taxi drivers.
  • CosmicFuzz 25 Jun 2015 16:24:25 32,057 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Defecationqueen wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Defecationqueen wrote:
    @CosmicFuzz I see what you mean, but just because they are driving a vehicle doesn't necessarily mean it is registered to them.

Taxi licences presumably prevent this issue.
    Well I'm guessing the Uber car has to be registered, just like a black cab. Unless you mean some random could steal an Uber-registered car and use it? Someone could do the same with a black cab.
    I'm not sure, really. Like I said, I know nothing about the service, but the way it sounds (to me) is that anyone can sign-up to offer their services to pick up people for cash.

Is this the case, or is it much more heavily legislated?
    See dg's post above about Uber drivers undergoing a police search.
  • Kostabi 25 Jun 2015 16:26:08 5,900 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I use Uber whenever I'm in London (so admittedly, only a few times a year) but I've always had a great experience with them.

Also knowing what your driver looks like and what he's driving makes finding him in a row of parked cars outside a pub so much easier.
  • andrewrafter 25 Jun 2015 16:44:39 122 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Used one for the first time in London, and to say the experience was seamless is an understatement. The guy comes to you within a matter of minutes, the fare is paid before you even belt u[, and you can share the fare with fellow users, and to top that off - the driver was the nicest taxi man on God's earth - turns out they're rated in-app, so they actually have to make an effort.

No question it's the future, surely normal taxi drivers should just become Uber drivers? Or is it the case that would be a massive drop in wages, presumably, and that's why they hating on it?
  • elstoof 25 Jun 2015 16:49:43 18,841 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Plenty of London cabbies are just driving their mate's cab while they aren't working themselves. No need to go through the hassle of being registered or even the going through the knowledge.
  • Nazo 25 Jun 2015 17:05:17 722 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Nazo wrote:
    Lots of Uber drivers don't have proper insurance for taxi work so if something happened you'd be fucked.

'Innovation' in this case seems to mean bypassing inconvenient regulations that protect the consumer.
    Why would the consumer be fucked? They're not driving.
    I mean if you get injured. In a taxi their insurance would cover you.
  • CosmicFuzz 25 Jun 2015 17:07:55 32,057 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I figured that earlier, fair point. Although according to the website in the US Uber provide the insurance. Not sure if that's done elsewhere in the world.
  • Deleted user 21 July 2015 19:35:12
    Anyone tried Fake Taxi?
  • Bauul 21 Jul 2015 23:37:23 866 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Uber is usually fantastic value, but not always. The Surge rate at busy times can really increase the cost - I got an Uber home the other day and it ended up being twice the price it usually is just because of the demand. The silly thing is that I could see loads of uber cars around me on the map, so there didn't exactly seem to be a shortage.
  • twelveways 22 Jul 2015 05:32:25 7,129 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Uber are operating here in China now, the government tried to close them down in my city because of protests by the government run taxi drivers but it pretty much turned into a full scale riot as the Uber supporters surrounded the offices.

Yes, we have Uber fanboys in China, China is weird.
  • Ziz0u 22 Jul 2015 07:21:31 11,006 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love Uber. The regular taxi drivers are kicking off here in Cape Town as well over just how quickly Uber has "taken over".
  • Gruff 22 Jul 2015 08:14:20 3,287 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Uber is like takeaway for axe murderers.
  • Page

of 13 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.