Uber - good or bad? Page 10

  • Page

    of 13 First / Last

  • Psychotext 23 Sep 2017 18:51:29 62,166 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Wobbly_Bob Did you read about their "Greyballing"? Slightly more than the average big company bullshit. That's flat out mob level shit.
  • AaronTurner 23 Sep 2017 19:03:55 9,564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    All 40,000? Plus all the engineers, devs, office staff that won't be needed?

    Everyone is a champion for the rights of these drivers but is also ok with them all being potentially unemployed.

    Companies may well absorb some of the drivers but the numberd wont be in the thousands. It's simply impossible.
    Just because people are unemployed doesn't mean we should lower the standard of what should be required by law for employers to do. Suggesting we should ignore what's going on is a slippery slope to everyone having fuck all rights. Would you be happy if you employer put everyone on zero hour contracts without any rights?
  • SYS64738 23 Sep 2017 19:12:21 4,868 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For me the problem is how they're set up. They're essentially just an intermediary, AirBnB same thing. People like you and me are the ones providing the key assets, not them.

    Because of that, reduced overheads and also not playing by established rules (yeah I know, everyone hates rules, some may not make sense, but generally they're supposed to ensure a level playing field) they can undercut the competition and take on little business risk.

    At the same time they have fuck all regard for the implications of their activities, such as drop of safety standards, potential damage to job market, increase in rental market. I avoid these shared economy outfits out of principle, and to be honest don't feel like I'm missing out.
  • wobbly_Bob 23 Sep 2017 19:13:18 4,268 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    @Wobbly_Bob Did you read about their "Greyballing"? Slightly more than the average big company bullshit. That's flat out mob level shit.
    I do and it wasn't operating here in London. Also as i said other companies are far worse.

    For ecample Nestle is a predatory company that undermine breastfeeding.  Nestlé has gone into developing poor countries and promoted infant formula, which has lead to many deaths because of the lack of clean water sources to prepare formula safely.  And many families cannot afford to purchase formula after the free samples stop and by that time, the mother’s milk has dried up. 

    And then there's what they do with water... Then there's the other stuff they do.

    Most of the big companies are shit bags. A lot of them are far worse than uber. Shall we shut down amazon, sainsbury, coke, apple, nike, and so on. This is about politics and protectionism.
  • Tonka 23 Sep 2017 19:21:59 26,628 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Psychotext 23 Sep 2017 19:23:15 62,166 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jesus wept. They're not being shut down, they're being told to comply with the rules or lose their licence. Hyperbole much?
  • Tonka 23 Sep 2017 19:25:38 26,628 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob what's your argument?

    It's ok for Uber to break the law because Nestle is bad?
  • wobbly_Bob 23 Sep 2017 19:26:48 4,268 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Psychotext

    Hyperbole from somebody that liked uber's practice to the Mafia? Ok.

    And yes they are being shut down. As it stands right now they have lost their licence to operate in London. Yes they can appeal that and they might win but as it stands right now they have been told they can no longer operate.
  • Load_2.0 23 Sep 2017 19:31:17 25,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yes but again TFL manage the process. To put the employmentvof tens of thousandd of people at risk seems an extreme way to manage the process.

    Also you're a fuck of a lot safer in an Uber than you are on a night bus or in a tube station late at night in London so the whole safety issue is pretty hypocritical.

    There is plenty of politics at play here.
  • wobbly_Bob 23 Sep 2017 19:31:24 4,268 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @wobbly_Bob what's your argument?

    It's ok for Uber to break the law because Nestle is bad?
    What? Of course it isn't. But other companies are doing worse and not paying taxes in addition. So nothing's being done? What I'm saying is that Yeah ok uber are a shady bumch of shits but they get so much crap about it when almost all companies are at least as bad and many far far worse. What in saying is other companies that are as bad or worse operate so this isn't about uber are shits. Its politics.
  • Frogofdoom 23 Sep 2017 19:38:27 6,243 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shouldn't hiring a private car to transport you come with guaranteed safety though?
  • Tonka 23 Sep 2017 19:40:25 26,628 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    @Psychotext

    Hyperbole from somebody that liked uber's practice to the Mafia? Ok.
    They are intentionally breaking laws for profit. In an organized way. Crime that is organized.

    Organized crime.

    For someone who's clearly seen through corporate bullshit you make some weird defenses of Uber.
  • Load_2.0 23 Sep 2017 19:42:33 25,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What laws specifically?
  • wobbly_Bob 23 Sep 2017 19:43:04 4,268 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As far as i know it's pretty safe. If somebody can show me some hard statistics for all the uber crashes then I'll change my mind on it.

    This is about politics.

    I think there should be changes. Uber needs to be challenged about a number of issues. I just don't TFL is going the right way about it. I think there is an agender here at play.
  • wobbly_Bob 23 Sep 2017 19:49:28 4,268 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    @Psychotext

    Hyperbole from somebody that liked uber's practice to the Mafia? Ok.
    They are intentionally breaking laws for profit. In an organized way. Crime that is organized.

    Organized crime.

    For someone who's clearly seen through corporate bullshit you make some weird defenses of Uber.
    Yeah they are exactly like an illegal organisation that's dealing in murder, drug dealing, human trafficking, racketeering, gun running, money laundering. That's a fair comparison.

    And I'm not defeding them. You seem to have some sort of reading comprehension problems. I have said multiple times now that uber are shady shit bags. Just that they are no worse than other companies and in fact others are far worse. This is about politics not "uber are horrible"

    I really don't know how many times i can repeat the same thing.

    Edited by wobbly_Bob at 19:50:46 23-09-2017
  • Frogofdoom 23 Sep 2017 19:53:20 6,243 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not crashes, sexual assaults

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/uber-drivers-accused-of-32-rapes-and-sex-attacks-on-london-passengers-a7037926.html
  • wobbly_Bob 23 Sep 2017 19:53:39 4,268 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Right enough about Uber. I'll leave you fine gents to it. Off to watch some tv and drink some nice red wine :)
  • wobbly_Bob 23 Sep 2017 19:57:03 4,268 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Not crashes, sexual assaults

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/uber-drivers-accused-of-32-rapes-and-sex-attacks-on-london-passengers-a7037926.html
    Ok was gonna call it a night but last one :D

    Only 32? That's not very high.

    I see your 32 sec attacks. And raise you. What about the black taxi driver that raped over a 100 women? The worst in uk history of its type?

    https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/oct/26/black-cab-rapist-victims

    Any industry has shits in them no matter what checks you have in place.
  • captain_markyboy 23 Sep 2017 19:57:34 846 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Sep 2017 20:03:42 9,904 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The issue is that they were letting drivers who had already assaulted people continue to drive, and they committed further assaults. This happened more than once.
  • elstoof 23 Sep 2017 20:12:22 18,870 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A fifth of all attacks nationwide happens in one city for one company but that isn’t very high apparently
  • Load_2.0 23 Sep 2017 20:18:39 25,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Can we have a ban please?

    This is both derailment and trolling.
  • Tonka 23 Sep 2017 21:34:31 26,628 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Not crashes, sexual assaults

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/uber-drivers-accused-of-32-rapes-and-sex-attacks-on-london-passengers-a7037926.html
    Ok was gonna call it a night but last one :D

    Only 32? That's not very high.

    I see your 32 sec attacks. And raise you. What about the black taxi driver that raped over a 100 women? The worst in uk history of its type?

    https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/oct/26/black-cab-rapist-victims

    Any industry has shits in them no matter what checks you have in place.
    So... Ubers crappy security checks are ok because there are worse rapists about?

    You seem to both think they're shit, and defend them at the same time.
  • Dirtbox 23 Sep 2017 21:43:59 89,398 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Certain people are going to rape no matter what, blaming their source of opportunity isn't going to stop them.
  • Saul_Iscariot 23 Sep 2017 21:48:58 2,953 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Not crashes, sexual assaults

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/uber-drivers-accused-of-32-rapes-and-sex-attacks-on-london-passengers-a7037926.html
    Ok was gonna call it a night but last one :D

    Only 32? That's not very high.

    I see your 32 sec attacks. And raise you. What about the black taxi driver that raped over a 100 women? The worst in uk history of its type?

    https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/oct/26/black-cab-rapist-victims

    Any industry has shits in them no matter what checks you have in place.
    So... Ubers crappy security checks are ok because there are worse rapists about?

    You seem to both think they're shit, and defend them at the same time.
    I cannot speak for Mr Bob, but I think he was saying if we are going to see these issues applied for banning companies from practising, then it should be applied evenly. What you see with Uber is a token gesture to make it look like the the powers that be are looking after you, but they will let others companies slip under the radar as they aren't so high profile. If we apply the rules to all companies then that is fair and in our interests. When it is applied to one company, then it is shady as fuck.

    Having said that, I think most companies work within the law, unlike Uber. It maybe that the law needs to be tightened up.
  • Mfolf 23 Sep 2017 23:20:18 1,563 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Tonka wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    @Psychotext

    Hyperbole from somebody that liked uber's practice to the Mafia? Ok.
    They are intentionally breaking laws for profit. In an organized way. Crime that is organized.

    Organized crime.

    For someone who's clearly seen through corporate bullshit you make some weird defenses of Uber.
    Just going to jump in to point how -snip- daft this logic is. Crime that is organised = ‘organised crime’. :’D

    I plan and organise stealing a bag of crisps. Definitely should be treated in the same manner as the mafia.

    Edited to remove nastiness!

    Edited by Mfolf at 00:07:19 24-09-2017
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Sep 2017 00:39:35 21,389 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    As far as i know it's pretty safe. If somebody can show me some hard statistics for all the uber crashes then I'll change my mind on it.

    This is about politics.

    I think there should be changes. Uber needs to be challenged about a number of issues. I just don't TFL is going the right way about it. I think there is an agender here at play.
    Several months ago TFL gave them a further extension to sort their shit out and they have not. I am not sure what more they were supposed to do. If Uber decide not to comply with the requirements of TFL then it seems fair to rescind theit licence. Should they get special dispensation for some reason?
  • elstoof 24 Sep 2017 01:14:23 18,870 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah because they’re cheap and easy apparently
  • Page

    of 13 First / Last

Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.