Project Cars 2 Page 8

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• samharper 27 Sep 2017 12:41:30 906 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Doubt it, most of these bugs are direct carry overs from PCars 1, and some of them are from Test Drive Ferrari, and some of them are from NFS Shift...
  • McGeeza 27 Sep 2017 13:01:09 1,868 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Out of interest is the random weather sync to race option working in this? They never fixed it in the first one.
  • shamblemonkee 27 Sep 2017 13:59:37 17,703 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @samharper some of the cars give me real deja vu from NFS shi(f)t in the way the boat around
  • SomaticSense 27 Sep 2017 16:58:08 15,110 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    McGeeza wrote:
    Reading this thread is giving me deja vu. :)

I guess it'll be 95% fixed by the time PCars 3 come out though.
    You mean 5% surely.

PCars 1 is still broken in more ways than it should be at this point.

Edited by SomaticSense at 17:02:34 27-09-2017
  • Nitrous 27 Sep 2017 22:02:51 1,552 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @McGeeza

Indeed it does mate haha!

Interesting review on Gtplanet of the PS4 version. Worth checking as he's found two of the wheel settings needs calibration laps to bed in but this isn't explained by the game apparently.

https://www.gtplanet.net/project-cars-2-playstation-4-review/

Just like PC1. Sounds great on paper but the final product doesn't match up to it. I'll buy it but I'll have to wait to see if they patch it. Could be very good in future.
  • Nitrous 12 Oct 2017 06:48:13 1,552 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Been reading the GTP forum and it seems there is a new 2.0 patch out now for PC and PS4 with the Xbox patch coming soon.

No apparent patch notes that I can find but the qualification bug appears to be fixed.
  • ModoX 12 Oct 2017 12:28:47 2,924 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh good, I keep hoping it'll be patched with some improvements before I get round to buying it. The quali bug is them setting daft times if you skip to the end?
  • nowthenfella 12 Oct 2017 12:44:19 63 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ModoX Yep

To be fair you can't fault SMS's ambition with PC2. Maybe too ambitious though!
  • Dirt3 12 Oct 2017 14:59:35 289 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    No point having the ambition without the delivery.

Seems from the forum it has loads of issues. I'm going to be waiting for at least 2 patches or maybe 3 before buying. To be fair to SMS they did follow through on the patches on PCars1.

I think the release has been a bit of a disaster to be honest.
  • Nitrous 13 Oct 2017 06:28:27 1,552 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The full list of patch notes are listed below:

• Improved driving line assist.
    • Various AI behavioural and race line improvements.
    • Multiple improvements and enhancements to multiplayer, and lobby handling.
    • Improvements and enhancements to audio and sound effects.
    • Improvements and enhancements to replays and replay cameras.
    • USB keyboard support improved.
    • Improvements, enhancements and fixes to Career flow.
    • Enhancements to various cars’ handling and standard setup improvements.
    • Tweaks and fixes to Achievement / Trophy unlock logic.
    • Tweaks and fixes to setup UI and flow.
    • Improved default assists for gamepad users.
    • Fixes and improvements to headlights and brake lights.
    • Fixes and improvements to ICM appearance and functionality.
    • Improvements and enhancements to steering wheel support.
    • Fixes and improvements to certain weather / tyre combinations.
    • Optimisations to tracks across the game.
    • Myriad render and performance tweaks and improvements.

Source: Gtplanet
  • nowthenfella 13 Oct 2017 09:13:35 63 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the release has been a bit of a disaster to be honest.
    Unfortunately that is becoming a trend with modern gaming
  • ModoX 13 Oct 2017 13:10:40 2,924 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From the outside it looks like it went better than the original, that seemed to be an absolute shitstorm.

And hey, at least it doesn't have loot boxes :)
  • Cadence 13 Oct 2017 13:15:25 2,093 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't jinx it!
  • Ragnor 11 Nov 2017 12:31:14 208 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Just did an invitational race and picked up a pit penalty for not pitting in. Here's the thing, none of the AI opponents had to pit so had I done as required I would've come dead last. WTF?

And don't get me started on the super hero AI when qualifying.

Really like the game in many respects, but they need to fix a lot of stuff still.

Edited by Ragnor at 12:33:26 11-11-2017
  • ModoX 11 Nov 2017 13:37:45 2,924 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just bought this yesterday, working through the Ginettas right now. Yeah that quali AI is rough! I struggle to get within a second of them, but can work my way up at least into the middle of the pack in the race assuming I don't bin it anywhere. Also when it rains they suddenly slow to a crawl, so I was in first place for the last lap of Silverstone but literally could not get the car down the last major straight because of all the puddles.

Still, I'm enjoying it so far.
  • ModoX 17 Nov 2017 08:53:47 2,924 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm so bad at this game! I've had to drop the AI down to, iirc, 50 instead of the 60 it started on. I failed miserably to get through the first season of the Ginetta Juniors at the higher level.

Side note, it's a shame the structure is still just - come in the top three. F1 is great for letting you race in the midfield and feel successful.

The gap in quali vs race times is still difficult to manage, I generally start from the back of the grid and am in 6th by the first corner, which just feels like a Forza game at that point. Except Snetterton where apparently I'm a god who can comfortably stick it on pole with half a second gap. But that's just because they're way too slow through the first corner.

AI does really bother me as well because you generally can't race them hard. On many corners if we're side by side and I brake just a smidge later, I'll go flying off the track while they make the apex easily. Really needs fixing.
  • SYS64738 17 Nov 2017 09:01:44 4,858 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think if they'd fix the AI I'd buy this, I might even be able to overlook the other bugs - my experiences with online racing have been mixed at best, so prefer to rely on decent AI to get a good race, or championship, in.
  • ModoX 17 Nov 2017 09:52:02 2,924 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wish they'd just nick the F1 AI. I didn't realise at the time as it was the first game I played with the wheel, but it's extremely good.
  • SYS64738 17 Nov 2017 10:45:13 4,858 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I have to say F1 AI was pretty good based on my short lived experience with the game.

Assetto Corsa's AI has improved a lot too, although there are still problems during starts and the first corner. After that things settle and it's quite satisfying to race it (and depending on settings, bloody hard too!).
  • ModoX 17 Nov 2017 12:03:55 2,924 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You know what, black friday deals dropped Xbox AC down to Ł14.38 ... I'll probably get it for that, can't waste all that much money on it.
  • SYS64738 17 Nov 2017 12:06:10 4,858 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's a fair price IMO.
  • samharper 17 Nov 2017 15:02:00 906 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think the issue PCars 2 has is that it's got so much content but none of it is polished. The sheer diversity of the cars means that they shouldn't use a one-size-fits-all approach to the AI, but they do because SMS is a relatively small studio. Unfortunately it means that with so many car/track combos you often get AI that's way too slow or way too fast. But even the obvious ones are completely messed up. Stockcars/IndyCars on ovals are next to unplayable with AI, and the lack of a flag system makes it feel a bit pointless.
  • Dirt3 17 Nov 2017 17:24:46 289 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I haven't tried AC yet, but I might purchase at some point. I will only use it to TT, but even just for that 15 quid sounds reasonable value.

For PCars, I liked PCars 1 and spent some time on it. There was some very good content in PCars one and once most of the bugs were ironed out it was a pretty good game. Still had one what I would call at the very least very annoying (and some people would argue game breaking) bug after all the fixes though.

PCars 2 feels like its bombed on sales, you can see the lack of activity on this thread compared with forza and GT. It will be sad to lose it, but I think the PCars series has run it's course now. I'll be buying it once I see more bugs resolved and depending on the dlc content. Ł30 quid on XBO is my price point, but I may wait until GOTY. GOTY PCars 1 is a good buy IMO.
  • samharper 17 Nov 2017 17:55:08 906 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    One point I will make in PCars' favour is the tracks that are laser scanned feel absolutely amazing to drive on, especially Long Beach and Knockhill. Texas Motor Speedway is also great fun (if not for the AI...), they knocked it out the park with the quality of the feedback.
  • Timmywimmywoo 17 Nov 2017 18:32:28 16 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love the realism of PC2 and it’s fun for hot lapping and finding the limit, but it needs a rewind feature just to get around the janky AI. And the fact it’s still tricky to catch slides. It’s so frustrating having to restart after four perfect laps...
  • Dirt3 17 Nov 2017 19:01:00 289 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I will be sad if Pcars goes. I like the game but they haven't quite got the QA right and I think some peoples anger is justified. And making a console game with questionable controller was a schoolboy error from 1 that must have cost them a lot of sales in 2.

Also the number of backers out there talking up 1 got on my t*ts.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 18 Nov 2017 18:39:51 11,392 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    And people said the AI wasn't realistic.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/AZml70D
  • Ragnor 19 Nov 2017 00:53:04 208 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    PCars 2, like 1, isn't without its flaws and yet I still find the series utterly compelling. I've had some marvellous racing moments throughout. Whether we'll see a third outing is up in the air, but with over 200 hours clocked up over both games so far PCars will keep me busy for racing for quite some time to come.

Not to mention I've also AC, Dirt Rally and GT Sport at my disposal. Good to be a racing fan right now.

Edited by Ragnor at 00:59:39 19-11-2017
  • Dirt3 19 Nov 2017 14:15:54 289 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The thing about PCars1 that sticks in my mind is the bugs.

Normally in these games I just time trial. I did quite a few times try racing in Formula C, with a reasonable number of cars so as not to stress the engine (10 or so). What I found was that the racing was great, perhaps the best I've ever had, but every other race sometime during the race the display would freeze while the game carried on underneath that, eventually of course with the car ending up in a barrier. AFAICT this has never been fixed. This falls into my definition of game breaking.

PCars 1 had some great tracks and great cars, classics as well which I love. Also all of those are accessible from day1, there is no grind like in Forza or GT (the grind in GT6 so I could drive the Jag was ridiculous).

I heard somewhere that SMS has got involved in another new franchise. Will they spend the resources squashing bugs in PCars2 or work on something else ?

I will pick up PCars2 at some point. Now just doesn't feel right though. I want to find out what's in the DLC and how well they do at rectifying current issues first.
  • ModoX 19 Nov 2017 17:20:58 2,924 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I picked up AC, played it for an hour then got the season pass for a tenner and another pack (it had the 86 and I'm an Initial D fan so...) as I was enjoying it so much. Maybe I need to tinker with PC2, or maybe it's just the different cars, but AC feels much better on the FFB. In the Z4 you can really feel the weight shift forward on the brakes, it's quite startling.

Though the structure of career is odd where it's much more like a Forza, start at the back of the grid and work your way into the top three. Plus I hit one race early on that seemed impossible, a quick Google and yeah it's a bug, the console version has the AI lapping 10 seconds faster than the same event on PC.

I guess with these smaller teams making niche titles you will get these issues.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.