• quokka 24 Sep 2017 19:38:05 142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It looks great on PS4 Pro. Controls like shit though
  • H1ggyLTD 24 Sep 2017 19:40:35 7,476 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    Combined with plenty reports of the kind of bugs that would drive me up the wall and a 50/50 split of opinion about handling and FFB my gut feeling tells me to leave this well alone. Maybe in a year or so, once it received a good number of patches.
    PC3 will be announced by the end of the month.
  • shamblemonkee 24 Sep 2017 19:51:45 17,458 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    I wonder if there's a big gap between console and PC visuals. Been watching a good few videos now where the narrator praises the graphics, all the while footage looking between average at best and absolute shit (including frame drops). One video by VVV showed PC1 as well and that looked and ran better than its sequel.

Combined with plenty reports of the kind of bugs that would drive me up the wall and a 50/50 split of opinion about handling and FFB my gut feeling tells me to leave this well alone. Maybe in a year or so, once it received a good number of patches.
    There's likely a huge visual discrepancy.

For pad controls;

reduce steering deadzone to between 1 and 5
    brake and throttle deadzones to 1
    brake and throttle to 50 or less
    steering speed to 40-50
    saturation to 60ish
    dampening to 60ish

works well on the gt3 cars and abunch of others, still feels very sticky around the centre though in things like lmp2 and open wheelers.

there's fun to be had but it really does suffer in as many ways as PC1 from bugs, many very severe in game play terms.

AI pace is all over the place - stick em on 80 at catalunya, get pole by 0.045 sec.

in the race they are 6sec a lap slower than me?!

Edited by shamblemonkee at 20:44:07 24-09-2017
  • SYS64738 24 Sep 2017 20:43:09 4,499 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That qualifying vs race pace a few have mentioned here and on Steam is giving me flashbacks of the F1 games of the nineti... actually all that I ever bought.

And that I stopped buying eventually. Fool me err... half a dozen times and all that:)
  • quokka 24 Sep 2017 21:07:40 142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    That qualifying vs race pace a few have mentioned here and on Steam is giving me flashbacks of the F1 games of the nineti... actually all that I ever bought.

And that I stopped buying eventually. Fool me err... half a dozen times and all that:)
    Iím fairness most gamers donít drive differently for a qualifying lap vs a race lap - in real F1 they qualify multiple seconds per lap faster than they race. When the AI emulates that they end up relatively slow in qualy / fast in the race. F1 2017 does a pretty good job of training you on preserving tyres in the practice mini games, and if you do go as fast in the race as you do in qualy youíll end up making an extra pit stop to compensate.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Sep 2017 23:06:37 30,560 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just got the first win of my career and proudly watched me get place 3rd on the podium. Nice.
  • quokka 25 Sep 2017 00:55:28 142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Just got the first win of my career and proudly watched me get place 3rd on the podium. Nice.
    Iíve had that exact same bug.

Had some fun tonight though messing around with custom races. Multi-class race on a small twisty circuit, me in Rallycross class, Indy Cars and F1 cars ahead, American Stock cars behind. The single seaters head into the distance at the beginning, but when they come to lap the NASCARs at the same time as the blizzard kicks in all hell breaks loose and I pick my way through the carnage to win.
  • Eejay 25 Sep 2017 02:30:49 9 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So I just realised that Twin Peaks is actually, bona-fidely * in this game :-)

The DirtFish Rallycross course is a rally school that is located at the mill where they filmed some bits of TP. In the game you can see the Sheriff's station ( irl now a rally museum that has one of Colin McCrae's cars) and can even drive round the back of the old 'Packard mill'.

* maybe not actually or bona-fidely.

Edited by Eejay at 02:31:43 25-09-2017

Edited by Eejay at 02:32:25 25-09-2017
  • SennaCujo 25 Sep 2017 10:48:10 241 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Doubt I'll be getting this till the New Year. There are a few good reviews online though.
  • shamblemonkee 25 Sep 2017 12:03:37 17,458 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @SennaCujo Thanks for the chuckle.
  • y2rich 25 Sep 2017 12:07:03 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just read a couple of reviews that list a multitude of the typical PCars bugs (AI quali times, AI causing 20 car pileups, not being affected by changing weather, AI pit control not actually stopping the car in the pit stall etc) yet still giving it good scores with a comment of 'when it works it's great'. The way the reviews are laid out makes it sound like it very rarely actually works?
  • SennaCujo 25 Sep 2017 12:13:46 241 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @shamblemonkee anytime pal. ALAW
  • StarchildHypocrethes 25 Sep 2017 12:50:10 30,560 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's a complete clusterfuck on console at the moment.
  • Timmywimmywoo 25 Sep 2017 12:57:53 5 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes I've played it for 13 hours since Friday and the only problem I've had is the qualifying bug. Other than that it's like PC1 Ė massively rewarding of good driving, punishing otherwise, although it's easier to catch slides now. The skill level required means it is frustrating, but somehow still encourages you to keep going. This is on Xbox with a G920Ö from experience with PC1 I wouldn't go near it with a gamepad!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 25 Sep 2017 13:10:05 30,560 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The pad controls, whilst generally awful in the grand scheme of pad controls, are definitely better than default PC1.

Unfortunately the number of bugs, glitches and AI nonsense do their best outweigh that slight improvement.

I quite like the pixel art rearview mirrors though.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 13:10:15 25-09-2017
  • shamblemonkee 25 Sep 2017 13:23:39 17,458 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    you can turn on proximity indicators (like in the F1 games) which are much more useful. although I agree the pixel art mirror has its charm - especially as it still does pixel art on ULTRA settings.....
  • SomaticSense 25 Sep 2017 14:48:36 15,049 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stayed away from the site for a bit, but couldn't resist a quick peep to witness the glorious return of the SennaCujo schilling.

Kind of disappointed if I'm honest. Both in the hastily crowdfunded game being yet again a shitshow of bugs and broken features, and the lack of Senna schilling.
  • SomaticSense 25 Sep 2017 14:51:03 15,049 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    y2rich wrote:
    Just read a couple of reviews that list a multitude of the typical PCars bugs (AI quali times, AI causing 20 car pileups, not being affected by changing weather, AI pit control not actually stopping the car in the pit stall etc) yet still giving it good scores with a comment of 'when it works it's great'. The way the reviews are laid out makes it sound like it very rarely actually works?
    That's exactly how the media circus around PCars 1 one looked as well, almost an exact replica.

Make of that what you will.
  • y2rich 25 Sep 2017 14:57:44 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @SomaticSense
    Indeed. I'm not one for ethics in games journalism and all that b/s but I would like some sort of confirmation said reviewer or someone related to the site hasn't stuck a few quid in the pot to crowdfund/invest in these games.
  • Breach 25 Sep 2017 17:12:37 136 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I won't be going anywhere near this for at least a year. I made the mistake with PCars1.
    The sad thing is, if SMS reeled in their ambitions a bit they could have made a solid racer that was a genuine alternative to Forza and Turismo.
  • SennaCujo 25 Sep 2017 17:23:50 241 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Breach wrote:
    I won't be going anywhere near this for at least a year. I made the mistake with PCars1.
    The sad thing is, if SMS reeled in their ambitions a bit they could have made a solid racer that was a genuine alternative to Forza and Turismo.
    Don't think it was ever meant to compete with those games. It was a pure racing sim on the PC, that was brought to the console market.
  • Dirt3 25 Sep 2017 18:13:33 267 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Did they push this out too early to try to beat Forza and GTS ?

Still have not seen enough comments/reviews to draw a conclusion on this one.

Probably going to wait for performance reports on the Xbox One X version before deciding whether to buy.
  • scoobysi 25 Sep 2017 18:46:49 1,301 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My PC graphics card has gone pop so I thought Iíd give GT6 a spin last night, having played 100s of hours on Assetto Corsa since I last played it it now feels like Pole Position on C64. Still good fun but I hope theyíve moved things on a bit with GTS.
  • Dombat 25 Sep 2017 20:30:20 1,134 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    y2rich wrote:
    The sort of stuff that bothered people about the original.

I couldn't get on with the handling on the first game and a demo of this at EGX put me off quickly. If they aren't even bothering to fix flaws from the original I won't bother with the sequel at all.

I'll stick to Forza for circuit racing. Dirt Rally is far more enjoyable for a challenging racing game.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 26 Sep 2017 14:13:01 30,560 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is such a frustrating game.

It's such a buggy piece of shit, yet every now and then when it actually works properly it's a great racer. Especially now I've tweaked my pad settings so they almost work.
  • shamblemonkee 26 Sep 2017 16:46:35 17,458 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    almost works
    should have been the tag line on the box
  • SYS64738 26 Sep 2017 16:48:40 4,499 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    almost works
    should have been the tag line on the box
    I'd buy that for a dollar! but not a cent more
  • shamblemonkee 26 Sep 2017 17:15:03 17,458 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just to show it is possible to drive on the pad with altered settings.

i'll counteract this later with a video of the AI gone to shit

Edited by shamblemonkee at 17:15:19 26-09-2017
  • samharper 27 Sep 2017 11:53:26 845 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The new laser-scanned tracks are wonderful to drive, particularly Long Beach and Knockhill. The ones taken from PCars 1 though still feel completely lifeless, Laguna Seca feels so flat. And the AI cannot do a clean lap around the aforementioned Long Beach in the DW12s, which is an issue because it's primarily an IndyCar track.

The oval racing is also completely broken in anything faster than an historic touring car, random braking in the corners or not staying in lane makes anything faster a roulette. Shame, because the Ford Fusion and DW12 Oval kit both feel nice to drive.

The weather system is stunning, the way that the puddles form and then disappear is quite spectacular.

But the qualifying is broken.

And there's still no flag system.

And the Race Director for detecting track limit violations can be far, far too strict on tracks where the racing line is to use the width of the kerb.

The online safety rating system is also broken but thankfully nobody is using it. Quit out of an empty lobby? Goodbye safety rating. At least the lobby system seems to work well enough.

Pitstops seem pretty buggy as well, the crew seem intent on leaving my car sitting for 10 seconds after they're done for... some reason.

Races with a time limit seem to end at a different time for everyone, the AI pulls into the pits as soon as the limit hits whilst you need to still do another lap, giving you many places.

Rolling starts are still very janky, cars randomly slow down and jerk to the side once the race begins.

Menus feel horrible with a mouse, car setup screen barely takes up any of the screen but needs a scrollbar, you can't scan through a replay, you have to fast forward, you can't fast forward a session any more, only skip to the end, no mid race saves still for endurance races, AI always have perfect heat in their tyres and aren't affected by fuel use, they are incredibly inconsistent across car classes, the aggression slider doesn't really seem to do anything, it's fairly ugly even on PC, FFB feels really numb on a G27 (could be a configuration thing).

There's a lot wrong with this. But, the Rallycross cars are excellent. And I like the manual multi-class racing. And again the weather is incredible. And the track selection is stellar. I don't know how I feel about it.
  • McGeeza 27 Sep 2017 12:19:44 1,805 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Reading this thread is giving me deja vu. :)

I guess it'll be 95% fixed by the time PCars 3 come out though.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.