Project Cars 2 Page 6

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Dirt3 22 Sep 2017 11:24:40 269 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Decks

Depends on what platform you got it on and when you started playing.

Xbox was the worst (I beleive). After a couple of weeks they patched the Xbox handling to improve it considerably, but by then the damage was done. The game got a rep for being very difficult on the pad. I think also the fact that PC1 encouraged you to tune the cars and not every car was set up great from the off didn't help. All the most powerful most difficult cars to drive are available from time zero as well, there is no progressive learning system.

I got it after the early patches on xbox, so I didn't experience the "misery" of the early pad controls. I would say that the pad handling on XB1 after these patches was actually pretty good, but a bit more twitchy than something like dirt rally, which I think is superb on pad.

From the web initial reports seem to be favourable re the game - not too much I can see yet re the pad controls. My guess is we will know by monday what the world thinks.
  • SolidSCB 22 Sep 2017 12:13:40 9,893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From what I remember, the deadzones were all over the place. You could get it mostly right with a bit of tweaking, but it felt unnatural out of the box.

The karts were absolutely hilarious as a result, like putting a motor on a shopping trolley.
  • samharper 22 Sep 2017 12:29:21 846 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got the pre-order on Steam with the logic I can get a refund if it's broken. Not managed to have a go myself yet, but even with the introduction of oval racing the lack of full course yellows is still pretty disheartening...
  • SYS64738 22 Sep 2017 12:47:43 4,510 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Will stick to the games I already own I reckon, and just spend my money on DLC for those instead (still need to try Blizzard Mountain for example), rather than taking a gamble on a new title.

Prefer spending my rather limited gaming time on something that already works rather than spending hours tweaking both graphics and controller settings first.
  • colinmac 22 Sep 2017 13:10:55 773 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think it's worth the spend. Especially if you have a good wheel, there's little point in spending lots of hardware without the software to run on it.

Oh did I mention the VR support is amazing ?

I didn't do any tweaking - turned up the force feedback to 100, bound about 5 buttons on the wheel, then started driving.

I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed. I bought the steam version from CDKeys for 32 quid. Bargain.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 22 Sep 2017 13:18:32 10,293 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ugh, kind of want this now.

Pretty good review here.

• shamblemonkee 22 Sep 2017 13:19:17 17,502 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm struggling with this i actually like the pad controls less than PC1 mode 2.

On the wheel it's better but the same issue of a loose rear that doesnt communicate when it's going to go are making this a chore to drive, the car doesn't seem to set and little corrections end up feeling vague and nervous.

1 step forward 2 steps back in some regards

oh and lots of micro-stutter and frame-pacing issues make me a sad monkey

Edited by shamblemonkee at 13:20:30 22-09-2017
  • monkman76 22 Sep 2017 13:23:07 11,668 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't suppose there's any chance of PSVR support is there?
  • samharper 22 Sep 2017 13:32:09 846 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Absolutely none whatsoever
  • PatrickEwing 22 Sep 2017 13:32:43 2,326 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just want to drive a Lotus 49, been harbouring need to do so since couldn't get Grand Prix Legends to work on my various PC's circa. 1998.
    I Presume the this would be a pointless exercise on a pad? (never played first).
  • StarchildHypocrethes 22 Sep 2017 13:38:17 30,573 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @shamblemonkee You got the Xbox version shambles?
  • StrayBezza 22 Sep 2017 13:38:19 924 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well just had 30 mins of PS4 play with a logitech G29 wheel.

Sound keeps dropping out, black screen and the wheel calibration is fucked.
  • Dirt3 22 Sep 2017 14:06:50 269 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @PatrickEwing

If that is all you're interested in get the PCars 1 game of the year edition.

You'll get an array of classic lotus openwheelers, plus hockenheim, rouen and silverstone classic tracks. You can probably pick it up for 15 quid on console.

The classics are tough but fun on a pad. The biggest problem for me was the huge understeer on the older cars. You can help the grip by changing the tyres. The Lotus 98T is a hard car to drive on a pad, but probably realistically reflects the difficulty of handling this car in real life.
  • shamblemonkee 22 Sep 2017 14:08:53 17,502 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes Master race PC this time
  • FuzzyDucky 22 Sep 2017 16:10:13 2,404 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    StrayBezza wrote:
    Well just had 30 mins of PS4 play with a logitech G29 wheel.

Sound keeps dropping out, black screen and the wheel calibration is fucked.
    After the state PC1 launched in, the mess it was still in after copious patching and the clusterfuck of the SM forums, I'm surprised anyone thought this would be a solid product.

Slightly Mad are fucking cowboys and shouldn't be afforded a dime of anyone's money.
  • shamblemonkee 22 Sep 2017 16:18:11 17,502 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's a lot better with Stability Control on, can push, it feels planted - deader but planted.. Wouldn't normally run anything other than authentic but this is the only thing that makes it fun to drive currently.

I'll see if can post footage later

Edited by shamblemonkee at 16:18:27 22-09-2017
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 22 Sep 2017 17:50:19 10,293 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The way they're talking about the handling and force feedback here is really making me want to buy it now. Bollocks

• scoobysi 22 Sep 2017 21:40:11 1,310 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't understand why they try to cram so much in. I'd much prefer a smaller more polished game. I so wanted to love the first game, had some great races online but ultimately the handling frustrated more than rewarded and the support was shoddy at best. PC3 announcement next week I expect.
  • Nitrous 22 Sep 2017 22:04:33 1,506 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Maybe not PC3 but something else..
    fast and furious game?

As for PC2 I know it sounds good on paper and I do want it but then I felt the same about PC1 and regretted it. Buggy and felt awful out of the box that only became marginally better after spending more time in the menus adjusting things than actually racing.

I'll wait for Senna's review of PC2 ;)
  • whatthefu 22 Sep 2017 22:10:20 1,005 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've seen a few reviews say it is great (the minor bugs aren't expanded upon)
    The qualifying bug sounds really annoying for instance.
    I did like the first game, except for the mad over steer at slow speeds when playing with a pad.
  • AaronTurner 24 Sep 2017 16:33:02 9,501 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Try Monaco in the wet with touring cars, the AI is hilarious.

Saying that the VR implementation is fantastic.
  • Timmywimmywoo 24 Sep 2017 16:41:43 5 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've really got into the swing of this now. I've done the two Formula Rookie seasons. I find the UK tracks harder than the international ones – Snetterton in particular is tricky as hell. Turns out the best way to approach the faster corners is just throw it in and manage the oversteer (actually possible now, unlike in PC1!). Again, SMS seems to have built a game that demands and rewards total focus. I've had many sweary restarts so far, but it doesn't get to being a chore.

The only annoying thing is that you can set a great quali time, about 3 seconds faster than anyone else – then if you skip to the end of the session you'll find the AI have beaten you by six seconds! So you're better off just drivng the whole quali session and running down the clock.

I sort of wish in free practice mode there was a random car and track generator…
  • AaronTurner 24 Sep 2017 16:49:49 9,501 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The drift feels a little ridiculous to me, like you say, throw the car into a corner and power round it.
  • AaronTurner 24 Sep 2017 17:51:43 9,501 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Helmet cam in VR mode is pretty damn immersive.
  • quokka 24 Sep 2017 18:52:13 145 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Didn’t take long after starting the game for the hype of the huge list of legendary tracks, dynamic weather and time of day, evolving tracks and endless possibilities made way for the reality of spending an hour driving a fictional Formula Ford around an extremely static UK club circuit where the only elements I’m battling are the poor pad controls, lack of feel, and everpresent bugs.

That said, all was forgiven once I dropped out of career and set up a custom race where I drove a Lotus 49 around the Monza Oval in a ridiculously diverse multi class race that started on a clear night and ended in a morning blizzard. All was forgiven that is, right up until the point that I pitted and the AI took over and failed to stop in the pit box, instead carrying on and leaving me to run out of fuel before I could get back around and undoing the 40 minutes I’d spent racing to that point.

So much potential here, but the cars I’ve tried so far are just way too difficult to control with a pad and suck all the fun out of driving, and when I do start to have fun a bug pops up and ruins it.
  • AaronTurner 24 Sep 2017 19:15:56 9,501 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well these days it's just the way racing Sims are, they are always works in progress.

The racing line drys way too quickly. Well the circuit as a while drys too quickly.
  • H1ggyLTD 24 Sep 2017 19:20:59 7,496 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I need SennaCujo's opinion.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Sep 2017 19:27:13 30,573 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In news that will surprise no-one, this both looks and controls like shit on xbox.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 19:34:20 24-09-2017
  • SYS64738 24 Sep 2017 19:33:53 4,510 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder if there's a big gap between console and PC visuals. Been watching a good few videos now where the narrator praises the graphics, all the while footage looking between average at best and absolute shit (including frame drops). One video by VVV showed PC1 as well and that looked and ran better than its sequel.

Combined with plenty reports of the kind of bugs that would drive me up the wall and a 50/50 split of opinion about handling and FFB my gut feeling tells me to leave this well alone. Maybe in a year or so, once it received a good number of patches.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.