Nier: Automata Page 3

• Page

of 43 First / Last

• pacrifice 20 Jun 2016 19:08:12 4,133 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The combat is going to be so fucking premium, they've now got bayonetta and Mgs rising under their belt. Kamiya did Okami and devil may cry. They've also done Vanquish, I can't think of the others but the action combat is so finely honed.

An rpg with a solid story and the deep, deep combat from dmc type games, the fluidity, the responsiveness, tightness of the controls, it'a gonna be another winner.

It's usually 60fps is a must for this type of combat heavy orientated games but even if they pull it off at 30, it's Platinum, it's gonna be smooth.

Edited by pacrifice at 19:09:08 20-06-2016
  • Ror 20 Jun 2016 19:08:54 15,981 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just think of it as an action game with RPG trappings. Really, in terms of gameplay it's closer to something like Zelda than it is Final Fantasy.
  • pacrifice 20 Jun 2016 19:10:46 4,133 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh that's fine by me! Even if the combat is more of an, on the side thing, I know how in depth it'll be.

I'm thinking Okami with more depth in combat.

Sweet!

Edited by pacrifice at 19:12:40 20-06-2016
  • Ror 20 Jun 2016 19:17:57 15,981 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, well, I mean, the combat is obviously going to be top fucking drawer this time out :D Platinum making this with Taro Yoko still leading development (and Akihiko Yoshida on character design) is like some kind of insane fever-dream shit.

Hopefully it's not a straight-up action game now, though. I know that's a fear many have, and one of the original game's strengths is how diverse it is. I'm sure I remember seeing a quote from Yoko that they're aiming for a similar structure...
  • grassyknoll 20 Jun 2016 20:32:23 586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @pacrifice This is a 60fps game, it was even announced as such. They also said so at Paris Games Week & this E3 during interviews. They've also uploaded 60fps footage for trailers too.

Edited by grassyknoll at 20:32:55 20-06-2016
  • pacrifice 20 Jun 2016 20:52:05 4,133 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @grassyknoll oh fuck yes mate, fuck yes!
  • grassyknoll 20 Jun 2016 21:38:27 586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @pacrifice It's basically Bayonetta & Nier combined. It's honestly a miracle it exists. Just hope everyone buys it!
  • oldskooldeano 20 Jun 2016 22:19:43 2,826 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    grassyknoll wrote:It's basically Bayonetta & Nier combined.
    When you put it like that. Wow!
  • grassyknoll 21 Jun 2016 07:41:55 586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @riz23 Just think, the 2D parts are gone be like Viewtiful Joe & the survival horror bits are by people that originally made Resident Evil 2. Potential one of the greatest games of all time getting made.
  • Ror 17 Aug 2016 14:52:56 15,981 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good news, everyone!

EDIT

Edited by Ror at 14:57:43 17-08-2016
  • Cappy 17 Aug 2016 15:14:59 13,550 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's irrelevant news!

Good news would be Platinum getting the boot from the project. One shitty game after another and yet for some reason people fall at their feet worshipping.

Nier doesn't need an over-designed, shonky combat systemů and let's not forget the other things Platinum consistently bring to the table; Terrible third person cameras, technical problems and overall lack of polish.

They're not an asset they're a hindrance.
  • SomaticSense 17 Aug 2016 15:22:04 15,041 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    That's irrelevant news!

Good news would be Platinum getting the boot from the project. One shitty game after another and yet for some reason people fall at their feet worshipping.

Nier doesn't need an over-designed, shonky combat systemů and let's not forget the other things Platinum consistently bring to the table; Terrible third person cameras, technical problems and overall lack of polish.

They're not an asset they're a hindrance.
    Yeah, Platinum are an AWFUL dev, who have a terrible track record on games that are given the appropriate time and budget. Also, who needs their famously shonky combat design to fuck up Nier's already tight, responsive, and accessible combat mechanics.

/s
  • Ror 17 Aug 2016 15:24:07 15,981 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm sure it'd be a better game if developed by, say, Access Games.
  • Humperfunk 17 Aug 2016 16:09:58 6,753 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To be fair, the quality of Platinum's output has noticeably decreased over the years. Spreading themselves too thin on about ten projects at once will do that.

See also: Telltale taking on every game they can. Now they think a 45 minute "episode" of middling quality is the same as a three hour episode of The Walking Dead's quality. Poor.

Edited by Humperfunk at 16:10:41 17-08-2016
  • Ror 17 Aug 2016 16:14:04 15,981 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it's a bit too early to tell if their quality has dropped - they haven't made a proper, actual Platinum game since Bayonetta 2. Everything else since then has been dev for hire stuff on low budget licensed games. They're an independent, they need to take work to keep the lights on.

If this and Scalebound are pap when they release, then fair enough.
  • grassyknoll 17 Aug 2016 16:28:02 586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Cappy "Terrible third person cameras, technical problems and overall lack of polish."

You could be talking about the original...
  • Cappy 17 Aug 2016 16:38:21 13,550 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Platinum have far more misses than hits. Let's see:

Metal gear Solid Revengeance.
    Poop, there's the trademark Platinum camera we love so much.

Wonderful 101
    Mediocre at best, ruined by over-designed, shonky controls. Dodgy frame rates too.

The Legend of Korra
    Below average.

Transformers: Devastation
    Mediocre.

Star Fox Zero
    Maxola cackola. More over-designed, shonky controls.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan
    Sword of Omens! Give me cack beyond cack!

Anarchy Reigns
    Mediocre.

MadWorld
    Raw sewage in your chocolate milkshake. Same old problems, over-designed, shonky controls. Think beating up five guys with those motion controls was tolerable? Do it again. Do it fifty more times. Do it two hundred times. Do it for the whole damn game.

Vanquish
    More mediocre. Two and a half hours of incomprehensible story (originally at full price!) With no conclusive ending. In a cover shooter where you're doing it wrong if you take cover, Wankwish has a massive identity crisis. Be a score attack game or be a story based game with fleshed out characters, don't make a hash of doing both.

Two Bayonetta games
    People generally count these as the high points of Platinum's career and they're far from perfect. Dodgy frame rates etc.

So, where is this perception of Platinum as a safe pair of hands coming from? This is not the track record of a high end developer.

Edited by Cappy at 16:45:31 17-08-2016
  • FrostPan 17 Aug 2016 16:46:28 1,353 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I think it's a bit too early to tell if their quality has dropped - they haven't made a proper, actual Platinum game since Bayonetta 2. Everything else since then has been dev for hire stuff on low budget licensed games. They're an independent, they need to take work to keep the lights on.

If this and Scalebound are pap when they release, then fair enough.
    Absolutely agree. Legend of Korra and TMNT were poor games for a reason.

I have high hopes for Nier Automata. I'm not afraid to say that I personally thought the original Nier was really dull in terms of gameplay. Combat felt flimsy and unsatisfying. The story and characters were good though, so having a combination of the A team from Platinum and the director of the original Nier could only result in an overall excellent product. Could well see it getting favourable reviews this time than the original did.
  • grassyknoll 17 Aug 2016 16:47:00 586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cavia were worst in very aspect you described (by a significant margin pretty much).
  • Ror 17 Aug 2016 16:55:25 15,981 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @FrostPan The original was very much a sum-of-its-parts kind of experience. Nothing in particular was amazing, but it all came together so well.

For my part, I enjoyed the combat - especially the magic - but it was a bit lightweight. This will only improve with Platinum on hand.

I'm excited for this not just because it's a sequel to NieR, but because of the people behind it. We've got the original Director, the original Producer, and the original composer steering the ship, Platinum building it, and Akihiko Yoshida designing it. For me, that's the best possible way this thing could have happened. Some others will disagree. That's fine. I'm not them.

EDIT Also, new Emi Evans song:

Edited by Ror at 16:59:09 17-08-2016
  • SomaticSense 17 Aug 2016 16:59:56 15,041 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The last game Platinum made that had the same time and budget poured into it as it seems Automata is getting, was Bayonetta 2. A 2014 GotY contender, and one of the best games of it's genre ever released.

Everything else since has been either a budget title (Korra), a rushed cynical Activision-published cash grab with a 9 month dev cycle (TMNT), or a last minute rescue operation with a divisive and unintuitive control system forced into the game by Nintendo (Star Fox). Then you have arguably the best Transformers game ever made despite being developed as a cash in budget game with a small dev cycle, a minor miracle basically.

Plus there's the small detail of all the media released thus far of Automata looking outstanding and very much like it's proper Platinum back and firing, as well as them basically being the perfect studio on paper to cover for the specific flaws Nier had.

So I don't really see the cause for the cynicism. It's not a sure thing, it could end up shit, but at this point it doesn't really make sense to write it off based on a few unfortunate circumstances caused by the publishers of those games.
  • Humperfunk 17 Aug 2016 17:14:42 6,753 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe I am being a bit cynical, just desperately want this to be good! Think my biggest concern is it's going to be like Bayonetta (i.e. pure action) without the towns and downtime you got in Nier.
  • grassyknoll 17 Aug 2016 17:23:04 586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's a video with towns & 2D bits already.
  • Ror 17 Aug 2016 17:23:51 15,981 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm sure it will, it's still being directed by Taro Yoko. Hopefully they show more RPG-y stuff soon.
  • Humperfunk 17 Aug 2016 20:14:29 6,753 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well that's good news :D
  • itamae 17 Aug 2016 21:42:47 10,170 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Two Bayonetta games
    People generally count these as the high points of Platinum's career and they're far from perfect. Dodgy frame rates etc.
    Huh? I assume you played Sega's notoriously bad PS3 port then. The X360 original is as smooth as buttery smooth butter.
  • Ror 17 Aug 2016 21:57:35 15,981 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The 360 game did drop frames (down into the 40s at times if memory serves), plus tearing, but it was still very playable. The PS3 game looked like it began life as an unreleased PS2 port.

Edited by Ror at 21:58:04 17-08-2016
  • Cappy 18 Aug 2016 13:13:38 13,550 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    Cappy wrote:
    Two Bayonetta games
    Huh? I assume you played Sega's notoriously bad PS3 port then. The X360 original is as smooth as buttery smooth butter.
    With massive screen tearing. You don't get silky, smooth frame rate props from me by disengaging V-Synch because you're cheating and giving me a headache.

As I've demonstrably shown, Platinum generally make sub-par games, and I didn't even play the QTE card, they've got to be one of the worst offenders in the industry. Even if Bayonetta had a perfect frame rate it's still garbage tier as far as I'm concerned because of the Quicktime events, many of which are in the middle of cutscenes.

I tend to put the controller down in cutscenes, sometimes I even leave the room to put the kettle on, especially when it comes to Platinum games. They actually force you to pay attention to this trash by actively punishing you with insta-death QTEs.
  • grassyknoll 18 Aug 2016 15:06:47 586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    itamae wrote:
    Cappy wrote:
    Two Bayonetta games
    With massive screen tearing. You don't get silky, smooth frame rate props from me by disengaging V-Synch because you're cheating and giving me a headache.

As I've demonstrably shown, Platinum generally make sub-par games, and I didn't even play the QTE card, they've got to be one of the worst offenders in the industry. Even if Bayonetta had a perfect frame rate it's still garbage tier as far as I'm concerned because of the Quicktime events, many of which are in the middle of cutscenes.

I tend to put the controller down in cutscenes, sometimes I even leave the room to put the kettle on, especially when it comes to Platinum games. They actually force you to pay attention to this trash by actively punishing you with insta-death QTEs.
    http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/mj-laughing.gif
  • grassyknoll 18 Aug 2016 15:07:40 586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I genuinely can't stop laughing, that has to be a parody post.
  • Page

of 43 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.