Dark Souls 3

• Page

of 428 First / Last

Previous
  • Bauul 2 Jun 2015 22:09:33 866 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    With apparently Miyazaki back directing. Source: VG247

Obviously more DS would be amazing, but I'm a little skeptical that Miyazaki is involved given Blooborne was only a month or two ago. If he is, I wonder how much time he could actually have dedicated to it?
  • Nielzor 2 Jun 2015 22:17:17 469 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, I'm sceptical too. Especially considering their development cycles. The B team were developing Dark Souls 2 while Miyazaki's crew were doing Bloodborne. So what have the B team been doing since they finished Dark Souls 2? Erm, Dark Souls 3 most likely. I'd imagine (and hope) Miyazaki's still at work on on Bloodborne's DLC.
  • mothercruncher 2 Jun 2015 22:29:50 14,334 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He could be hopping between them I guess, but keeping DS3 secret.
  • MrFlay 2 Jun 2015 22:32:09 3,637 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is Miyazaki only able to work on a single game at a time? Are the Souls games solely his work?
  • Nielzor 2 Jun 2015 22:37:18 469 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Coming exclusively to Xbox One.
  • Bauul 2 Jun 2015 23:20:52 866 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @MrFlay He certainly has far more input than your typical head designer. Demon's Souls, for example, is quite famously 100% his design from the top to the bottom - he had his hand in all of it. How much that level of involvement continued into DS and BB I don't know though.
  • SomaticSense 2 Jun 2015 23:56:39 15,110 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    According to the interview with him in the guide, it was the same with BB. He drew up the level design of all the areas himself.

It's highly unlikely he's been flitting between the two projects as a legitimate director while pouring 100% of himself into both (which he said he was doing for BB), that would be insane. Possible certainly, but unlikely. So my money's either on this rumour of the announcement being horseshit, Miyazaki is being labelled as a 'fake' director to take the pressure off Tanimura and Team B, or Bamco are announcing it super early before a mid-late 2017 release.
  • DodgyPast 3 Jun 2015 03:14:41 9,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hopefully he's had some input into what he thought was good and bad about DS2 ( soul memory).

PC / XBONE​/ PS4​ DS3 seems like a lot of income to delay by waiting for him to be available 100% when there's a team that have proven they can deliver well enough.

It would be nice to hope for something around October next year.

To me there are 2 sides to improving on DS2, first is the world design. DS1 was definitely superior with the feeling that the world was interconnected and that there were often multiple routes to the same locations. I'd like to see that return.

I think the multiple enemy issue was a reaction to the fact that they were trying to cater to new and old players. I'd rather see more of DS1's influence of having parts of levels with optional mini bosses like the knights and Havel that provided experienced players with earlier access to rewards for being able beat them. Less experienced players would be able to come back to them later.

Then there were the mechanics, in DS2 they seemed to throw a huge variety of ideas at the wall and hoped enough would stick to make it work. Fun to explore but less fun to master.

Personally I think that certain aspects of DS2 were an improvement. I liked the concept of an agility stat, hexers, levelling catalysts.

Not 100% on hexes costing souls to cast... Especially with soul memory. Wasn't convinced by hexes needing chimes and catalysts. Also liked that carrying extra humanity had benefits in DS1 which improved risk reward.

I did like the variety of rings, though toning down the feeling that you had to get the +2/3 versions by bonfire ascetics would be nice. Maybe making it so that the bonfire ascetics mechanics kicked in for NG+. Then the first play through could be relatively tightly balanced for PvP with the NG+ a free for all. Might even make people spend more time in NG+. Getting rid of Soul Vessels would also keep the first game play through more crowded as people would need to go through it to create new builds.

I also think that the rewards for co-op should be more along the lines medals rather than relatively huge experience boosts so you would co-op more. Being able to summon more people meant getting summoned was easier but finding a summon was difficult. There should be more things like the Sunlight medal that provide unique benefits for being summoned rather than straight xp which ends up with you being over levelled so you get shut out of co-op.

Edited by DodgyPast at 04:00:45 03-06-2015
  • robc84 3 Jun 2015 07:51:05 12,078 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dark souls 2 certainly wasn't a bad game by any stretch, it just wasn't as good as the other two. If it is indeed 'team b' working it then as long as they take on board the feedback from ds2 I think it'll be fine. Along with a little input from big M maybe.
  • TenderChicken 3 Jun 2015 07:54:49 3,493 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love Dark Souls 2 so I'm not fussed if it's the 'B'  team working on it or not - it'll be amazing regardless.
  • wuntyphyve 3 Jun 2015 10:10:39 9,677 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'll take another game by the DS2 team no problem. Looking at what ended up in SotFS (to me the definitive version of DS2), then to take that forward onto another game is exciting. I think a lot of lessons were learned between the vanilla DS2 release, the DLC and finally SotFS. So big M or not, there are others at FROM that have proven that they can deliver what I deem to be a brilliant and engrossing souls experience.

In fact I'll maintain that the balancing in DS2 for me is weighted towards a more fulfilling and appealling final third as opposed to everything after Anor Londo in DS (New Londo excluded) that made me feel a bit flat and unimpressed. I think DS builds towards and subsequently peaks at AL wheras DS2 has a bit of a slump by that point and then builds again towards the end. Not slagging DS off but I remember thinking that at the time, that everything after Hall & Oates was an anti climax.

Mind you, when DS2 slumps, it really slumps. I could do without the likes of Iron Keep, Earthen Peak and Black Gulch. Even Brightstone, although I love the latter part of the level, looks horrible and is depressing to go through early on.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 10:19:39 03-06-2015
  • Deleted user 3 June 2015 10:22:14
    for real. ds2 has its critics, but i think most would still concede it's an all-time top 10 game.

honestly, i'd be just as happy for miyazaki to be moving on to other things. spending a life cranking out souls games is sure to burn him out eventually, plus imagine seeing his design philosophy applied to other genres/concepts...
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Jun 2015 10:36:38 20,798 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've loved the Souls games, have completed all 4 but I can't help but think they're becoming too frequent if this is true.
  • Rhaegyr 3 Jun 2015 13:19:41 4,019 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    gravearchitecture wrote:
    for real. ds2 has its critics, but i think most would still concede it's an all-time top 10 game.

honestly, i'd be just as happy for miyazaki to be moving on to other things. spending a life cranking out souls games is sure to burn him out eventually, plus imagine seeing his design philosophy applied to other genres/concepts...
    Not even close.
  • Bauul 3 Jun 2015 17:55:47 866 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I've loved the Souls games, have completed all 4 but I can't help but think they're becoming too frequent if this is true.
    If it indeed is announced, it doesn't mean it's coming out any time soon. They could be shooting for 2016 or even 2017, which would make it the same time between DS1 and DS2.

I think that if DS2 hadn't had all the problems that meant they had to rejig the entire game shortly before release (and led to such ridiculous things as the Earthen Peak to Iron Keep elevator) it would have been much better. The DLC demonstrates the so-called B-Team can make well designed areas, so if they were on it again I'd hope that they could apply those lessons again.

Edit: DS2 was announced in Dec 2012 and was released in March 2014. So if DS3 is announced at E3 and keeps to the same timeframe, that's Sept 2017 for a release, which would be over 3.5 years since DS2 was released. That doesn't seem too short to me.

Edited by Bauul at 17:59:21 03-06-2015
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Jun 2015 23:02:52 20,798 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago

• Kichijoten 5 Jun 2015 23:11:38 4,555 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Horny
  • Boriska 5 Jun 2015 23:14:23 486 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    2016 feels fairly soon!
  • minky-kong 5 Jun 2015 23:34:03 13,309 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Milky milky
  • Humperfunk 5 Jun 2015 23:45:53 7,200 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Too soon. Turning into fucking CoD or something

/will buy day one
  • Deleted user 5 June 2015 23:58:41
    Lets hope its more like DS1!
  • JoelStinty 6 Jun 2015 00:16:05 6,020 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Too soon. Turning into fucking CoD or something

/will buy day one
    This.
  • Gibroon 6 Jun 2015 00:44:06 1,959 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The thing about these games is that the combat is sooooo good. It's hack and slash but if you are too bravado a normal mob will slash you up. At the same time you can complete it without levelling up. How?

More the merrier. Fingers crossed.!
  • MrFlay 6 Jun 2015 07:57:14 3,637 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would like to see this targeting 60 fps. It makes a huge difference in Scholar of the First Sin.
  • Benno 6 Jun 2015 08:41:18 11,697 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TenderChicken wrote:
    I love Dark Souls 2 so I'm not fussed if it's the 'B'  team working on it or not - it'll be amazing regardless.
    Same
  • Boriska 6 Jun 2015 08:46:01 486 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looking at how incredible Bloodborne was in concept, design and execution I'm hopeful Miyazaki is involved, he has an eye for weird awesome.
  • fiery_jackass 6 Jun 2015 09:04:48 1,042 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    those "know" guys are repellent. I feel like I've part-hollowed sitting through that video. Good-looking screens though.
  • Derblington 6 Jun 2015 10:09:23 30,185 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I really hate this whole leaking of info.

For the leakers, it's just an easy way to get page hits.
    For the players, it's info that you can do nothing with accept acknowledge, one week early. It really wouldn't hurt to not have had it for another 5 days.
    For the devs of the title, it's months of hard work on a big reveal, that they've designed to surprise and delight, ruined in minutes.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Jun 2015 10:35:25 20,798 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I really hate this whole leaking of info.

For the leakers, it's just an easy way to get page hits.
    For the players, it's info that you can do nothing with accept acknowledge, one week early. It really wouldn't hurt to not have had it for another 5 days.
    For the devs of the title, it's months of hard work on a big reveal, that they've designed to surprise and delight, ruined in minutes.
    Despite posting the leaks (someone else would have anyway) I think it's a real shame that these e3 surprises are ruined.
    Why are Nintendo the only ones that can keep games a secret?
  • Page

of 428 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.