Haunting Ground Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • itamae 12 Jul 2006 09:30:51 9,883 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    >:-(

Project Zero-like hate tirades, here I come.
  • Decoded 12 Jul 2006 12:28:28 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    I ended up quite enjoying it, but would still like to hear your tirades.

/waits

You done with Suikoden V?
  • itamae 12 Jul 2006 12:49:44 9,883 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Er, no. I'm on a terrible videogames buying frenzy at the moment, which is inversly proportional to the time I have to play. And I fear that it's only going to get worse in the next few months. Help, I've got a huge backlog for the first time in my life! :-(
  • Official-Capcom-Guy 12 Jul 2006 13:07:43 425 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I remember this game driving me crazy when I had to write the hintline walkthrough for it. So much running and hiding!
    That said, I thought the dog was great. He's certainly the realest-seeming animal sidekick I've seen.
    Make sure you're nice to him and give him snacks when he does good stuff for you. He'll come in handy.
  • GrayFox 12 Jul 2006 13:22:46 1,698 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Official Capcom Guy wrote:
    I remember this game driving me crazy when I had to write the hintline walkthrough for it. So much running and hiding!
    That said, I thought the dog was great. He's certainly the realest-seeming animal sidekick I've seen.
    Make sure you're nice to him and give him snacks when he does good stuff for you. He'll come in handy.

Damn you! Now you've made me want this game.

/shakes fist

Btw. How's the "Best Capcom Game Series Since SF2 and RE" aka "Monster Hunter 2" coming on PAL? I can't wait. I'll cry ;(.
  • Drakron 12 Jul 2006 14:22:39 509 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Official Capcom Guy wrote:

There is no beastiality in this game.
  • Official-Capcom-Guy 12 Jul 2006 14:42:04 425 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That was the least dodgy way I could find to say that, and STILL you take it the wrong way! Why I oughtta...

Sadly it doesn't look as though Europe will be getting Monster Hunter 2. We might get Monster Hunter 3 though.
  • GrayFox 12 Jul 2006 16:25:10 1,698 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    O_O ?!

Why the fork not?!? I thought we have quite big MH fanbase in Europe!

/slits wrists

Tell them! Tell those bastards they've just killed a man!
  • itamae 24 Jul 2006 06:59:36 9,883 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've played the game for a few more hours and I have to say it's growing on me. After the underwhelming beginning with Debilitas I was expecting the worst from the following chapters, but the part with the crazy maid was great. She was totally bonkers of course, but somehow I felt sorry for her (might be because she's so cute in her maid outfit though). I even enjoyed the episode with that Robin Hood guy, but that's mainly because he was always somewhere else so I had all the time in the world to do the puzzles.

The forest, however, and the tower I'm in right now are the dictionary definition of "no fun". Whoever thought it would be a good idea to make that annoying karate monk invisible deserves a good slapping. The more so as the tower is so small that you can't possibly run away from him. So I just accept the beating I get, run around in circles for a while and wait for him to bugger off. Woohoo, just when I was having fun with the game.

One more thing, those invisible metal boots I created, are they actually good for anything? The description says there's a small chance of hitting weak spots for massive damage, but so far my opponent (invisible kung-fu guy) hasn't been particularly impressed. Have I just wasted my precious medals on a useless item?
  • Blerk Moderator 24 Jul 2006 10:52:39 48,225 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To be honest, I did very little fighting and just used the age-old 'legging it' approach most of the time.
  • itamae 25 Jul 2006 07:04:32 9,883 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ~ Fin ~

I completed the game yesterday, after about nine hours of total play time. The part with Aurelio was fun, I mean I've been up against a homicidal giant, a crazy maid with a red-hot poker and an invisible karate monk with a gun, and now I have to fight against an unarmed paraplegic old geezer? The odds are finally in my favour! \o/

After kicking seven shades of poo out of the old fart I had all the time in the world to explore the area. I found some crates with explosives and a few seconds later *bam* I triggered a cutscene and the guy was "dead". Seriously, he wasn't even on the same continent as me when it happened. The final bit with the burning corpse was very annoying again (FAQ time) and the ending (apparently the best one) was very disappointing.

Well, the chapter with the maid was great; the rest of the game... not so much. Colour me unimpressed.

Edited by itamae at 07:05:24 25-07-2006
  • Blerk Moderator 25 Jul 2006 09:13:15 48,225 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    I found some crates with explosives and a few seconds later *bam* I triggered a cutscene and the guy was "dead".
    Grr! I wondered around for bloody AGES trying to figure out what to do next at that point! Had to go to the FAQ in the end. And yes, the final sequence is intensely annoying - much like the final sequence in Resi 4, actually. I think Capcom go a bit mad in the final stages of game development.

It was a 'quite good' game, and it's much better than Clock Tower 3, but there's still lots of room for improvement. I seriously hope they have another bash at doing an unarmed survival horror title. They can count me in.
  • itamae 25 Jul 2006 09:54:15 9,883 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't know, in my opinion the basic premise behind Haunting Ground is deeply flawed. There are two completely disparate gameplay elements (the run&hide and the puzzles) which simply don't go together very well. The enemies were just annoyances in-between two puzzles, and sometimes I even reloaded when they appeared because that was faster and less tiresome than running around for a few minutes.

The only scenes in which the game really worked for me was when you were interacting with the environment to actively do something about your pursuers, like when you unveil the mirrors to distract the maid for example. The other puzzles were far too detached from the actual theme of the game (and very Resident Evil like, too) to be very enjoyable. I mean the ghost in the crypt was a nice idea in theory, but in pure videogames logic you'd rather find something to eat for the ghost than climb over that not-so-high fence and try to escape.

What I wanted to say, in essence, is that Haunting Ground is too much of a traditional videogame to leave a lasting impression.

Edited by itamae at 09:54:50 25-07-2006
  • tengu 8 May 2007 19:54:54 10,294 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • pacrifice 13 Mar 2013 14:28:40 1,079 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I completed this two days ago and I enjoyed it.

Towards the end though, it got a bit long but that maid is so damn freaky! I'd prefer to be chased by anyone but her... and her music when she enters the area... chilling.

When I started playing, I thought it would be as dark, creepy, intriguing as Project Zero 2 and 3 but sadly mistaken but still a good ride, nonetheless.

This game would look good in HD. Especially that castle and that carousel room (that was silent hill-ish).
  • Blerk Moderator 13 Mar 2013 14:35:17 48,225 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I remember liking this about a million years ago!
  • Deleted user 13 March 2013 14:39:25
    This was a great game - unbeatable for atmosphere on PS2 in my humble opinion. Fiona and Huey was it. One of those games where you never feel safe.

Seem to remember the 'item making' was a bit hit and miss though?
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next