Haunting Ground Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Official-Capcom-Guy 23 Jan 2006 10:05:59 425 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    the mirros can make her stop and go mental occasionally, so it's worth uncovering them as you pass. If you're actually running away from her though, don't waste your time with the mirrors. Spend your time running, (and occasionally shouting 'feets don't fail me now!' if you feel the need) and hiding in cupboards and such.
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Jan 2006 10:34:34 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There weren't really that many hiding spaces available to begin with in this area, that was the problem. I have now unlocked another couple o' cupboards, though - so it's not so bad now.

The 'panic' effects when you get too damaged/tired are brilliant. I went down with such a smack last night that I was sure Fiona wouldn't have any teeth left when she stood back up. :-)

Edited by Blerk at 10:34:45 23-01-2006
  • rachymania 24 Jan 2006 15:38:31 14 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just 2 hours into this. Bought it cos I love the puzzle aspect of Res Evil but don't like the fighting so thought this might be a happy medium but don't think there's enough puzzles and to much big ugly lug...what can I say I'm a girl and he terrifies me...I've come to a great big halt cos I can't shake him off!
  • Blerk Moderator 24 Jan 2006 15:43:43 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's important to try to remember your nearest hiding place so that you know exactly where to run when he pops up. Debilitas is actually quite easy to evade because he's a bit slow - Daniella is giving me much more grief. The cow. :-)
  • rachymania 24 Jan 2006 15:47:09 14 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    It's important to try to remember your nearest hiding place so that you know exactly where to run when he pops up. Debilitas is actually quite easy to evade because he's a bit slow - Daniella is giving me much more grief. The cow. :-)

Yeah, I know the deal I just panic...plus as soon as the coast was clear and I emerged from under the bed I heard those dreaded footsteps again! could he constantly pop up from now on?

Do you know any other games I might like along this genre?

Edited by rachymania at 15:50:08 24-01-2006
  • Blerk Moderator 24 Jan 2006 15:49:14 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wait a few seconds after the all-clear, and make sure you leave the room in the opposite direction to him. "All clear" means he's left your room, but if you emerge too quickly he seems to hear you and come back, and if you follow him out too closely you risk running into him as he leaves.
  • rachymania 24 Jan 2006 15:52:21 14 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    THink I might play on Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban for a while to calm my nerves hehe. I'm only little!!
  • Blerk Moderator 24 Jan 2006 15:56:22 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hope you're at least 16!

/points to age rating on box

:-)
  • rachymania 24 Jan 2006 16:00:27 14 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    ahhh to be 16 again...haha no I'm 21 just trying to justify being terrified of Mr freaky weirdo dude.
  • Blerk Moderator 30 Jan 2006 13:53:13 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ooookay... is it just me, or are the puzzles getting just a tad unfair towards the end of the game here?

I've just spent the best part of two hours trying to figure out how to connect a flame and some nearby boxes of explosives without a resolution. Finally resorting to GameFAQs, I discover that the solution I had was correct, but I can't just stand there and do it - I have to get the 'latest chaser' to chase me past it first, then Fiona will automatically do what I've been trying to do for ages!

Grrr. I hate it when that happens! Why not just let me do it either way? :-(
  • Deleted user 30 January 2006 14:08:28
    Blerk wrote:! Why not just let me do it either way? :-(
    I think I went to gameFAQs myself for that piece of puzzle, completely braindead stuff.

They could at least have disguised it with a hint like "I shouldn't blow up the boxes now and give my position away" or something similar...

Edit: lol@rodpad

Edited by valli at 14:09:07 30-01-2006
  • Blerk Moderator 30 Jan 2006 14:19:07 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I did note from GameFAQs that I'm now just a smidge away from the end of the game!

/closes eyes to avoid spoilers
  • Feanor 30 Jan 2006 14:21:28 14,180 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How did the world survive before the Internet and sites like GameFAQs. I was stuck on a Tomb Raider 3 level for a month in 1998 when I didn't have Internet access. Bad old days.
  • Blerk Moderator 30 Jan 2006 14:33:45 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think in the bad old days you just 'gave up'. I know which days I prefer.
  • Blerk Moderator 2 Feb 2006 10:01:42 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, I finished the game off last night with a 'good' ending. Yay me! \o/

Sadly, I had to go back to the bloody FAQ again to figure a couple of things out, which I never like to do.

In all it was a pretty decent game, although I felt that the first two thirds were much better than the last part. Once you'd finished with Daniella the remaining baddies seemed to lack character, the puzzles became overly-obscure, and the environments less interesting. A shame, because those first two sections were blisteringly good - it almost feels rushed after you get past the mid-point of the game.

Nice array of extras, though. I spent a good ten minutes bouncing Fiona around in her extra costumes using the character model viewer. :-)

In all.... 7/10. Which is less than I wanted to give it originally, but that last bit just soured the experience a little. Plenty to build on for a sequel, though!
  • Decoded 2 Feb 2006 11:05:30 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Nice array of extras, though. I spent a good ten minutes bouncing Fiona around in her extra costumes using the character model viewer. :-)
    You sicko.

Wait, there's a character model viewer?
  • Official-Capcom-Guy 2 Feb 2006 11:08:13 425 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    How did the world survive before the Internet and sites like GameFAQs. I was stuck on a Tomb Raider 3 level for a month in 1998 when I didn't have Internet access. Bad old days.

the world phoned up the hint line. We still do them you know, I did one for Haunting Ground. but no, you would rather use this new fangled 'internet' thing everybody is always talking about.
  • Blerk Moderator 2 Feb 2006 11:10:05 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decoded wrote:
    Wait, there's a character model viewer?
    Planning a bit of doggie investigation, eh? :-)
  • Hunam85 2 Feb 2006 11:10:26 4,114 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Picked this up today for a tenner from game, anything i should bare in mind before giving it a spin?
  • Blerk Moderator 2 Feb 2006 11:13:09 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Print the FAQ once you've offed Daniella. :-)
  • Decoded 2 Feb 2006 11:26:36 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    RUN.

And spare trousers might come in handy.
  • Hunam85 2 Feb 2006 11:37:31 4,114 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Decoded wrote:
    RUN.

And spare trousers might come in handy.

Im a survival horror vet (well i own all the resi's bar 4, all the sh's, siren, ct3, pz's and eternal darkness) so im pretty sure i can handle this.

Now where is my valium and nappies...
  • itamae 11 Jul 2006 20:36:00 9,887 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decoded wrote:
    The game is pissing me off. Last night I was killed in a new area because I couldn't find a hiding place and eventually ran out of stamina. The dog is pretty useless too, half the time missing the target when you order it to attack and even then it takes numerous bites to get rid of an enemy.

Where's the fun, eh?
    Why? Why didn't I listen to your invaluable advice, huh? I just got the game today and while the first hour was good, harmless fun I am now fuming with rage. Fiona dropped down from a higher floor *Enter Debilitas* into an area I hadn't visited before and got chased around for the best part of 15 minutes. He couldn't catch me because of my 1337 evasion skills, I couldn't escape because he punched me whenever I tried to climb up a ladder and I kept running into walls which annoyed me no end.

In the end I just put the controller down and let him, er, eat me. Bah. Fiona's Jellyboobs™ are a nice distraction, but they don't make up for the annoyance I'm experiencing now.

Time to walkthrough: 90 minutes.
  • Cappy 11 Jul 2006 21:09:17 12,032 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    itamae wrote:In the end I just put the controller down and let him, er, eat me. Bah. Fiona's Jellyboobs™ are a nice distraction, but they don't make up for the annoyance I'm experiencing now.

Time to walkthrough: 90 minutes.

Shameful cheating. :-P

Its not hard really. Yes, getting knocked off the ladders is annoying but it should only happen once, afterwards you will know that its risky to climb ladders when Debilitas is around.

Debilitas is easy really, especially compared to the later opposition. Don't forget to praise Hewie when he attacks somebody for you. Commanding him to wait and 'charge up' before attacking is also very useful. You can use yourself as bait to lure Debiltas right past Hewie as he is waiting, then with the right timing Hewie will jump up onto Debiltas' back for some damaging neck bites. You can join in yourself with a few kicks if you are nearby. Call Hewie back after a few bites, if Debilitas throws him off or manages to punch or kick him it will put Hewie out of action for a few moments leaving you with no protection.

The exit back to where you fell from is right behind where you landed, its one of the doors on the wall.
  • Hunam85 11 Jul 2006 21:11:22 4,114 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think i stare at her boobs way too much, and im not one for virtual flesh fun either.
  • itamae 12 Jul 2006 06:38:02 9,887 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Some good tips in your post Cappy, cheers. I didn't succumb to the luring calls of GameFAQs after all (yet) and managed to get quite a bit further this time. It turned out that thanks to the unhelpful camera and the constant sanity effects I had been running in circles the whole time while missing two great hiding places which were literally just around the corner. D'oh!

I do try to train Hewie at every possible opportunity and I think that he's gradually getting better at helping me. Except when Debilitas has me in his clutches, then he just sits down and enjoys the show. Stupid mutt. The game reminds me of the bit in RE: Code Veronica where you are being chased by the tyrant, complete with questionable controls and wonky camera. I like the atmosphere and the dog thing is quite original, but so far I'm not convinced that the game is worth the 16€ I spent on it. It might just become a second Project Zero...
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Jul 2006 08:50:07 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Print the FAQ once you've offed Daniella. :-)
    Don't forget this tip if you make it that far, itamae! Absolutely fucking infuriating puzzle-wise after that point.

I did quite like it, though. Although there was a bit too much Benny Hill in the later stages.
  • itamae 12 Jul 2006 09:22:10 9,887 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In the later stages you say? I thought that Fiona and Debilitas were quite impressive Laurel&Hardy impersonators from the very beginning :-)
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Jul 2006 09:29:26 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Debilitas is slow and wimpy compared to some of the later big bads. You will curse.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last