Haunting Ground Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• absolutezero 15 May 2005 13:34:56 7,956 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Im still very early into the game but I want those hidden costumes, time get playing again!

I've got Shadow of Rome, Metal Gear 3 and a bunch of Dreamcast games that are'nt going to play themselves. I need more hours in the day.
  • QuickBen 15 May 2005 16:11:10 113 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just out of interest whats the camera like? I got the impression from the EG review that its not fixed, but nor is it on the shoulder, so I'm a bit confused?
  • WoodenSpoon 15 May 2005 16:15:05 12,285 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    Wow! Now that's what I call an alternate costume! \o/

And I don't remember PE2's final boss being so hard. In fact, I've finished the game several times without running into any major problems. And it should be quite obvious by know that I'm very touchy when it comes to hard bosses. Not that you've missed much, mind, as far as I remember the ending was pretty forgettable.

You have to play up to the FMV with the army and those odd robot things though!
  • absolutezero 15 May 2005 19:20:39 7,956 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    QuickBen wrote:
    Just out of interest whats the camera like? I got the impression from the EG review that its not fixed, but nor is it on the shoulder, so I'm a bit confused?

It resembles Resident Evil Code Veronica, in the camera can move and follow Fiona around but still has an objective viewpoint.

It works rather well in some places, but can be a pain when your trying to escape in others. You could have just escaped and then run straight back into whoever was chasing you in the next area beause you never saw them up ahead.

For the most part it works well to keep the atmosphere up and in some parts in great, close ups on Fiona with a whole room spread out behind her.
  • Decoded 2 Jun 2005 11:48:26 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Blerk Moderator 2 Jun 2005 11:51:01 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm... this does sound like it could well be right up my particular alley. And that's a cracking extra costume! :-D
  • Deleted user 7 June 2005 19:32:18
    Playing this ATM, I'm about 3-4 hours in. Good stuff, a bit too generic at times. I haven't played a game with the stalking mechanism (invincible monster showing up at times and chasing you) since "Resident Evil 3: Nemesis" and it's a great tension booster, if annoying at times.

Lovely girl - dog interaction (not THAT kind of interaction in case Errol is reading this) and great atmosphere on the plus side. Some very disturbing s**t when you get caught, I won't spoil it. *grin*
  • Deleted user 13 June 2005 09:02:40
    Yay, completed it yesterday, sweet little game. Like Decoded, I visited gamefaqs around 3 times, thus completing the game in 9,5 hours. A bit short I suppose, but it was quality gameplay with enough extras and hidden stuff to give you a good challenge the second time.
  • Blerk Moderator 13 Jun 2005 09:42:23 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That extra 'costume', for one. :-)
  • Derblington 13 Jun 2005 09:47:01 21,477 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is this going cheap yet? I've been trying to think of some slightly 'different' games to get hold of and this may be the one.
  • Blerk Moderator 13 Jun 2005 09:56:11 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    22.98 from Simply, but I smell 'discount' in the air quite soon. Bet it'll be less than 20 from Play within a few weeks.
  • Deleted user 13 June 2005 20:14:15
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 13 June 2005 20:14:40
    Blerk wrote:That extra 'costume', for one. :-)
    It's a nice addition, although the "costumes" that change the gameplay for Fiona and the dog are even cooler.

***minor poiler for Fiona costume #1***
  • Derblington 22 Jun 2005 22:33:41 21,477 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got this through the post at lunch time (crappy postman!) and have just played up to the first save, literally 5 mins in. I like it so far and judging by this thread it's quite short so that's even better!

Fiona's movement and the camera movemenet remind me a lot of ICO and the atmosphere is good (actually quite creepy).

I'd keep playing but I'm tired (and I don't want nightmares :)) so I shall resume tomorrow night.
  • Deleted user 22 June 2005 23:29:18
    Derblington wrote:I'd keep playing but I'm tired (and I don't want nightmares :))
    *points finger and does clucking sound*

:D You're doing right in not rushing this lovely little game!
  • Blerk Moderator 18 Jan 2006 14:07:02 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /throws Phoenix Down onto thread

Santa brought me a copy of Haunting Ground and I just started playing it last night - so far so good, although I'm only a couple of hours in.

Looks lovely. Capcom really know how to get the best out of the PS2. Plus... boobies! \o/

Question about my canine chum, though - how often do I have to praise him in order to make sure he's obedient? And if I bugger off and leave him 'cos he's messing about sniffing lamp posts or whatever, will he always find me?
  • TwistidChimp 18 Jan 2006 17:14:25 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey, if I throw a ball etc for Hewie, I dont seem to be able to pick it up again ? whats that about.
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Jan 2006 09:31:16 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not sure, I couldn't either. But when I left the room, it was magically back in my pocket! :-)

Hardly anyone played this one, then?
  • Deleted user 19 January 2006 09:39:16
    I kind of ignored Hewie and towards the end he didn't really obey me. He will still do game progress stuff, like crawling somewhere or fetching items for you, he just won't follow you and help you out of the clutches of the enemies. The bloody game actually made me feel bad about not taking care of him... :(

I think you can check his obedience by doing the "shake hands" command, can't remember how that was done. Otherwise, GameFAQs has the answer.
  • Angel_Treats 19 Jan 2006 09:45:34 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    God, I completely forgot I had this.

Have to play it when I finish Eternal Darkness. I remember playing about five minutes of it when I first got it and thought it was rather cool.
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Jan 2006 09:49:39 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got Hewie doing some good old fightin' stuff for me last night. Ripped that Debilitas a new one good and proper! \o/

Those floaty light things are a pain in the arse, though. I keep running into them when the camera angle changes.

My biggest gripe is the map - it's next to useless because there's no way of identifying which room is which. I got a key for a desk drawer in a room I'd already visited last night, but could I remember where that room was? No. Cue 15 minutes of wandering around trying to find the room, including two random 'chases'. I think Silent Hill's 'scribbling important room names on the map' thing has sort of spoiled me here.
  • Decoded 19 Jan 2006 10:08:41 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just praised the dog whenever he did as he was told. At the end of the game you get a ranking based on how well you bonded with the dog and mine was the highest, I think.

And Hewie always seemed to find Fiona when she left him. He keeps sniffing things and generally being slow, so I lost patience and just got on with it, hoping he'd find his own way. Which he did, the clever fucker.
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Jan 2006 10:13:08 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I found that one time when I climbed down a ladder and he couldn't follow he managed to find another way round to where I was. Which was kinda neat - it almost makes you think that the computer's keeping his AI and the environment going in the background even when you can't see him.

I'm guessing he can't open doors, though. :-D

It's a nice game, though - I like it. Quite disturbing at times too, getting pounded to death by Debilitas is pretty shocking the first time you see it, and the sound effects after the screen fades out are just... gross!
  • Decoded 19 Jan 2006 10:19:15 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    It certainly does have a meanancing atmosphere; along with Project Zero it stands as the most uncomfortable and nerve-wracking gaming experience I've ever had, but for all the right reasons. Well, mostly...
  • Deleted user 19 January 2006 10:24:33
    Blerk wrote:and the sound effects after the screen fades out are just... gross!
    Is Debilitas the first necrophilic computer character btw? :) Who wants to mail Jack in Florida btw?

Just wait 'til you hear the other death sounds later on. Disturbed shit! The fact you don't see anything makes it even worse IMO.
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Jan 2006 10:45:01 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone figure out how the synthesising thing works, btw? I've had a couple of attempts but just ended up with 'nothing' at the end of it. But I didn't really know what I was doing. :-)
  • Decoded 19 Jan 2006 10:49:46 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Synthesising? You'll have to jog my memory dood, I have no idea...
  • Official-Capcom-Guy 19 Jan 2006 11:01:00 425 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blerk, it's been a long time since I played it, but as far as I remember you need to get as many of the same colour as possible on the spinny colours machine thing. it's vaguely like a fruit machine - you want to make lines of the same colour.
    I think the colour determines the category of item you get, and the number of circles you fill in with the same colour (or maybe the number of lines you make? or something similar anyway) determines how good the item is.

From memory, there are different things you start the process off with. Some of them are better for making certain things, so you would start off the machine with one of the circles already filled in with a colour.

• Blerk Moderator 19 Jan 2006 11:02:57 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How's that for service, eh? Cheers, OCG!

There's a chart on the wall that tells you which medallions will give which items, but I've so far proven almost entirely inept at actually managing to stop the spinning balls on any colour other than 'white'. :-)

I'll try again tonight.
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Jan 2006 09:38:23 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oooookay... I have a little question about the second part of the game, where you're pursued by Daniella. There are these mirrors with curtains covering them all over the place which I'm surmising I can use to escape from her, but every time I try to use one... nothing happens.

I can open the curtain, but her reflection has no effect even if I let her get really close. Trying to open it too late just gets me the "I don't have time for that" message. What am I doing wrong with these? I seem to be spending most of my time in this area running like a maniac. :-)
  • Page

of 4 First / Last