Haunting Ground

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Blerk Moderator 11 Apr 2005 16:14:44 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    While we're talking Capcom, anyone else interested in this one? It's out at the end of the month and Gameplay now have it listed as a 'mid-price' title (i.e. 29.99 RRP) so it'll probably be about 25 after discounts.

It looks really nice, I could well be tempted - especially if it's nice n' cheap.

Doesn't seem to have been much hoo-ha about it here on the forums, so I thought I'd try and start some. :-)

Screenies.
  • Decoded 11 Apr 2005 16:16:29 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Survival horror? Sold.
  • oneiros 11 Apr 2005 16:18:01 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's featured in the current EDGE; I think you have to use the dog to protect the feeble yet hauntingly cute blonde.
  • spindizzy 11 Apr 2005 16:18:05 6,447 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is this is worst drunken snog in the history of gaming?

She'll regret that one in the morning!
  • Derblington 11 Apr 2005 16:19:54 21,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was reading about it last night actually. It sounds interesting as long as the play mechanic with the dog works ok. Apparently he won't always do exactly what you want due to his realistic animal behaviour and that could really fuck it up, imo.
  • Blerk Moderator 11 Apr 2005 16:21:16 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trailers. Can't comment 'cos they're still downloading. :-)
  • sam_spade 11 Apr 2005 16:21:36 15,745 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Is this is worst drunken snog in the history of gaming?

She'll regret that one in the morning!

Is that a young Sarah Greene?
  • Spanky 11 Apr 2005 16:34:07 14,481 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think this looks great, but i prefered it when it was called DEMENTO! I wonder why they changed the name to generic horror #3? When i'm rich i'm going to make a game called Down Syndrome Zombie Attack, as i've been telling everybody ;)

Now all i need is a ps2.

Plubs

• Blerk Moderator 11 Apr 2005 16:37:51 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mmm! Vids look nice!
  • read_only 11 Apr 2005 21:20:45 147 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looking forward to this. While I'm loving RE4 I really enjoyed the slower exploration/puzzle aspects of earlier REs. Hopefully this will be similar.

• Angel_Treats 25 Apr 2005 08:23:12 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone got hold of it yet? I got hold of a promo and played a bit last night - haven't decided yet if I like it or not. I literally played for five minutes (was too tired after the LAN!) but it seemed a bit... watered down... and the lack of a weapon to kill the big fuck-off dude right near the start annoyed me. There's a feature not unlike Eternal Darkness where, when the protagonist gets scared, the screen changes and it's very hard to see and hard to control her, which is interesting but could also be annoying...

Will play more tonight and report back :)
  • Blerk Moderator 25 Apr 2005 09:29:17 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's not out 'til Friday, is it?

Anyway... report back soon, Angel!

/waits
  • Decoded 25 Apr 2005 11:44:31 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    ... and the lack of a weapon to kill the big fuck-off dude right near the start annoyed me.

So you had to run away? That should be fine since most of my Silent Hill playtime has been spent running away. I'm really good at it \o/

Probably won't get this on release though. Not enough time to play it yet.
  • Decoded 9 May 2005 18:35:24 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, played this for an hour and it's looking good. Plenty of atmosphere plus the requisite "shit your pants" moment early on, just to remind you you're playing a horror game.

But most importantly Fiona is an extremely, um, bouncy character. Never have I had so much fun going up and down a few stairs...
  • Decoded 9 May 2005 18:35:31 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Bates 9 May 2005 18:41:49 348 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    You're easily pleased :)

So, have you got the dog yet? I'm eager to hear how he works with the game.
  • steven 9 May 2005 19:39:26 292 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I almost bought this last friday, i'll pick it up after exams or something.
  • Decoded 9 May 2005 21:10:24 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bates wrote:
    So, have you got the dog yet? I'm eager to hear how he works with the game.

Yes, but I haven't had him for long. He can be used to attack enemies and retrieve out of reach items but supposedly doesn't always do what you ask, hence the scold/praise command.

It's a bit confusing as I'm not sure whether to run from enemies or use the dog to attack them. Hopefully things will become clearer as the game progresses.
  • Aretak 9 May 2005 22:05:32 10,351 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm oddly attracted to this game. I think I'd actually hate it should I ever play it, but I want it all the same...
  • drumbaby 10 May 2005 09:22:31 2,688 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Decoded wrote:
    But most importantly Fiona is an extremely, um, bouncy character. Never have I had so much fun going up and down a few stairs...

I've just finished Onimusha 3 for the 2nd time, and must admit to enjoying making Michelle pointlessly run up and down corridors.

Capcom do 'bouncy' very well.

:)
  • Decoded 10 May 2005 09:32:27 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    /adds Onimusha 3 to basket

God bless Capcom.
  • Decoded 11 May 2005 08:42:06 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    The game is pissing me off. Last night I was killed in a new area because I couldn't find a hiding place and eventually ran out of stamina. The dog is pretty useless too, half the time missing the target when you order it to attack and even then it takes numerous bites to get rid of an enemy.

Where's the fun, eh?
  • pjmaybe 11 May 2005 08:44:29 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /waits for Capcom's other "dog" game

Still waits

Peej
  • itamae 11 May 2005 09:02:40 9,875 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll give you 10 for it!

Just kidding. Seriously though, unfair deaths are about the biggest turn-off a game can have. But honestly, what did you expect? It was quite apparent from the reviews that you spend a lot of time running away, hiding and getting molested by sweaty old men in this game, so the scene you've just described doesn't surprise me at all.
    By the way, if it's just the jiggling that's intriguing you you should give Stella Deus a try. It has some of the bounciest sprites since Mai Shiranui entered the KoF tournament. \o/
  • Decoded 12 May 2005 16:48:06 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't know if anyone's listening, but that's never stopped me before!

Okay, played quite a bit more and there's some good stuff amongst the frustration. Firstly, I was wrong about the dog giving away your location; as long as Fiona is hidden you don't have to worry about anything else as the enemy is only interested in her. But the encounters are still annoying.

So yeah. More enjoyable than Jade Empire became and with added jiggle too. Can't ask for more than that, really.

Edited by Decoded at 16:49:04 12-05-2005
  • itamae 12 May 2005 17:21:58 9,875 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You're still playing it? Amazing! Haunting Ground must be quite good then.

/waits for inevitable price drop
  • Decoded 12 May 2005 17:40:24 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, cheeky git. Actually I don't think I've ever left unfinished a game of this type, unless you count Parasite Eve 2 and its bastard hard final boss. But Haunting Ground is the closest I've come.

Besides, finishing it gives you alternate costumes (found that on another site) :D
  • itamae 12 May 2005 17:49:21 9,875 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wow! Now that's what I call an alternate costume! \o/

And I don't remember PE2's final boss being so hard. In fact, I've finished the game several times without running into any major problems. And it should be quite obvious by know that I'm very touchy when it comes to hard bosses. Not that you've missed much, mind, as far as I remember the ending was pretty forgettable.
  • Decoded 13 May 2005 08:53:56 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, must've just been me then. I vaguely remember dying several times and being too irritated to persevere and this was before the days of internet access and Gamefaqs. Good game though, suprised there hasn't been a third installment (unless the ending rendered that impossible).

Speaking of Gamefaqs, I've had to consult a walkthrough a few times but that's mostly down to a lack of thought (and fear of getting persued while searching) on my part. Most of the puzzles are fairly obvious and Fiona records some useful information in a sort of dairy accessed through the menu.

• Decoded 14 May 2005 12:10:35 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finished \o/

Decent game overall with an often nerve-shredding atmosphere and brought a huge sense of relief and achievement upon completion. Being stalked constantly for ten hours isn't nice, but like all survial horror it proved strangely compelling. They saved the most annoying part until right at the end though, which had me in a brief fit of controller-flinging. Recommended for fans of the genre.

And the costume I linked to above isn't even the naughtiest on offer after finishing the game...
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous