Blade Runner 2049 Page 18

• Page

of 26 First / Last

• dankcushions 10 Oct 2017 14:03:38 327 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    uk box office takings are good: https://www.screendaily.com/news/uk-box-office-blade-runner-2049-opens-with-healthy-8m/5123051.article

this "all midlands showings gone by end of Thursday" thing seems like bullshit. multiplexes don't list stuff very far ahead. this is the number one film. you'll be able to see it next week.
  • OllyJ 10 Oct 2017 17:16:45 3,891 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @dankcushions yeah you are right, it's google listings that are not showing it, but Odeon are still listing it next week. So no panic!
  • mal 10 Oct 2017 17:24:16 28,517 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's not even coming to my local cinema until November. But that's quite usual - it used to make sense when they were playing a canister that had been round the multiplexes twice then got posted here, but now that it's all digital it's purely market manipulation. I don't mind though, it gives me chance to listen to the reviews and see what you guys think about stuff before I actually have to spend my money to see things.
  • Nazo 10 Oct 2017 23:16:52 715 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saw this tonight at Leicester Square Imax. Unfortunately the only time we could go was for the 3D showing (boo) but due to 'technical issues' they showed it in 2D and gave us a ticket to see something else for free, result!

I loved it, it feels rare these days for a film to give you the time to appreciate it, it really felt luxuriant.
  • MrFlay 10 Oct 2017 23:18:44 3,606 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is anyone getting the art and making of book? It's 40 so a bit pricey but I'm tempted.

Edited by MrFlay at 23:20:46 10-10-2017
  • Vortex808 10 Oct 2017 23:32:49 11,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just back from seeing it. Enjoyed it a lot. The visuals and atmosphere were better than the actual story overall, but it was well worth seeing.
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Oct 2017 00:18:45 2,717 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Just saw it this evening, too. I loved it. As much as I enjoy the cinematography of the original, the sequel petty much improves on it in every aspect. Its like jumping from The Terminator to Terminator 2. It opens up the world so much more and executes a far more engaging story as well.

It could have certainly been shortened a little, though. I like the pacing of the original a lot more.
  • Tuffty 11 Oct 2017 00:19:09 4,025 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    OllyJ wrote:
    So, I didn't really enjoy it all that much but one thing that is sticking out as an annoyance more than the rest is K's holo-gf Joi:

Last year my PS4 died and needed a full reset, I was gutted but fortunately all my save data was stored on the cloud and got it all back.
    So you telling me that in 2049 that with all the advances in tech that Joi could not have been uploaded to the cloud? Or that massive device he had in his apartment with wall mounted memory card reader doesn't act as some kind of back-up.
    I think you may have completely missed the point of that scene. They even mentioned the unit in the apartment being her main data store.

They literally couldn't leave her behind, or back her up anywhere because they knew that the first thing they'd do is interrogate her code and find out where he was.

Of course, that was completely meaningless given he decided to use his (tracked) car to get away. lol
    I'm sure I did completely not understand most of the film.

I didn't realise he was hiding in any way, even before he decided to take on the case he'd already purchased this add-on for Joi that meant if he breaks it she's gone.

Not sure why he was upset, she wasn't really that interesting, I'm sure he could buy another and get her up to the same level of conversational skills easily enough.
    But it wouldn't be the same would it? That's the questions the films ask, is a Replicant or any form of AI, a sentient being? Does a machine possess a soul? Sure you can get a replacement, but in Joe's mind there was only one of her. Same way Deckard couldn't give in to another clone of Rachel, there was only one to him.
  • IronGiant 11 Oct 2017 01:10:17 5,606 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just watched it on the IMAX in Birmingham in 3D.. think I'd have preferred it in 2D as the 3D didn't really add much. Overall really enjoyed it, apart from Dunkirk this was by far the loudest film I've seen on the big screen.. the cinema speakers were literally rattling at some points! It was a bit too long but they succeeded in making an excellent sequel to a movie that didn't need a sequel. I can see its popularity only increasing over time, and a cult movie status, much like the original movie.
  • Scimarad 11 Oct 2017 04:27:10 9,242 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Tuffty

I was under the impression that he somehow didn't realise that or had convinced himself otherwise.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Oct 2017 06:16:22 16,358 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it was part of his realisation that he wasn't actually special at all. His AI wife had been telling him what he wanted to hear for ages, that he'd been unique and magical from birth. But he wasn't, and realising that let him find meaning another way, through the action of reuniting Deckard with his daughter.

Which, by the way, is a really unusual (and refreshing!) message for a movie to have. The "You are the Chosen One!" business is such a cliche at this point, and I was really pleased that they subverted it in this movie.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Oct 2017 06:16:24 11,070 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah the loudness was kind of ridiculous, I had a headache half way through.

I haven't stopped thinking about this since I watched it yesterday. I really want to see it again which is a rarity for me these days.
  • Vortex808 11 Oct 2017 07:33:12 11,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Decks wrote:

I haven't stopped thinking about this since I watched it yesterday. I really want to see it again which is a rarity for me these days.
    Having thought about this more than i expected overnight, i think it may warrant a very rare (for me) repeat cinema viewing. Maybe the story was better than i initially thought!

It is loud too. A few sections were almost too loud for the cinema speakers.

Edited by Vortex808 at 07:33:28 11-10-2017
  • anephric 11 Oct 2017 08:37:08 2,744 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The music for this is fucking amazing. I sat all the way through the end credits.

Brilliantly abrasive.

The only real weakness of the film is Jared Leto who is a fucking pantomime villain in a way that is entirely unnecessary in the first film.
  • HarryB 11 Oct 2017 08:39:33 7,182 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    At least he isn't in it much. Batista gave a better performance.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Oct 2017 08:45:22 11,070 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I honestly didn't mind him, and I usually can't stand him.
  • Blurp 11 Oct 2017 08:49:50 1,043 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I didn't like Leto. He.... spoke like..... this...... because.......... he's a............ villain.
  • HarryPalmer 11 Oct 2017 08:54:58 5,271 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I quite liked Leto - the impression I got was that he spoke like that to sound like a synthetic computer type voice (sort of like Hal/Stephen Hawking) - which makes sense as he was probably full of augmentations.

That logic falls apart tho when you have fully synthetic replicants walking around that don't speak like that.

Anyway, I thought it was sort of cool.

Would have liked to have seen him outside of his pyramid-lair though.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 08:55:22 11-10-2017
  • HarryPalmer 11 Oct 2017 08:57:33 5,271 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decks wrote:

Same. Didnt love it, but have not stopped thinking about it and desperately want to see it again.
  • GarlVinland 11 Oct 2017 09:20:14 2,187 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Leto really let that Oscar win get to his head. He's immediately followed that up with this self indulgent performance, and just being a knob on Suicide Squad. Didn't mind him before, would actively avoid anything he's in now.
  • Phattso 11 Oct 2017 09:44:11 22,019 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I thought he was decent in this. Got Deus Ex (the game series) vibes from him, which is no bad thing.
  • HisDudness 11 Oct 2017 09:52:41 1,582 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apparently Bowie was first choice for Leto's character.
  • OllyJ 11 Oct 2017 09:56:03 3,891 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    OllyJ wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    OllyJ wrote:
    So, I didn't really enjoy it all that much but one thing that is sticking out as an annoyance more than the rest is K's holo-gf Joi:

Last year my PS4 died and needed a full reset, I was gutted but fortunately all my save data was stored on the cloud and got it all back.
    So you telling me that in 2049 that with all the advances in tech that Joi could not have been uploaded to the cloud? Or that massive device he had in his apartment with wall mounted memory card reader doesn't act as some kind of back-up.
    I think you may have completely missed the point of that scene. They even mentioned the unit in the apartment being her main data store.

They literally couldn't leave her behind, or back her up anywhere because they knew that the first thing they'd do is interrogate her code and find out where he was.

Of course, that was completely meaningless given he decided to use his (tracked) car to get away. lol
    I'm sure I did completely not understand most of the film.

I didn't realise he was hiding in any way, even before he decided to take on the case he'd already purchased this add-on for Joi that meant if he breaks it she's gone.

Not sure why he was upset, she wasn't really that interesting, I'm sure he could buy another and get her up to the same level of conversational skills easily enough.
    But it wouldn't be the same would it? That's the questions the films ask, is a Replicant or any form of AI, a sentient being? Does a machine possess a soul? Sure you can get a replacement, but in Joe's mind there was only one of her. Same way Deckard couldn't give in to another clone of Rachel, there was only one to him.
    Yeah I get that, I think my issue is, the whole film is about that. It's just hitting you over the head with it for just under 3 hours. Ok I get it already, give me some story.

I'll admit after my initial disappointment the film has settled in my mind and I'm eager to see it again as I reckon a second viewing with correct expectations will allow me to appreciate the narrative a lot more.
  • Phattso 11 Oct 2017 10:50:54 22,019 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    Yeah I get that, I think my issue is, the whole film is about that. It's just hitting you over the head with it for just under 3 hours. Ok I get it already, give me some story.
    You say "hitting you over the head" with it, I say "allowing a deep concept time to breath, to see the consequence, to see the impact".

That was the story. The essence of being. That was what it was exploring, and I think it was worth taking the time to do that; to establish K, to establish Joi, to cement that view of the future in the viewer. And, yes, to be a fitting follow up to a seminal SciFi work which appears to mean doubling down on some of the poncier arty notions. :)

I'm not sure it would've benefitted from a more Dan Brown-esque (and I know this isn't exactly what you're talking about) set of weaving plot/story beats, just to give people with short attention spans a foothold in the movie.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Oct 2017 11:42:46 11,070 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    *swoon*
  • [maven] 11 Oct 2017 11:48:51 5,535 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Question:
    Near the end of the fight scene between Luv and K in / at / around the ship-wrecked car with Deckard in it, I thought that Luv said something like "I'm the last one". What was that about?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Oct 2017 11:49:31 11,070 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm the best one.
  • Jyzzy-Z 11 Oct 2017 11:52:46 2,291 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Decks Yeah this, because Wallace said to her earlier "you're the best angel, aren't you Luv?" or something similar.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 11 Oct 2017 11:53:52 556 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    It's what Ivanka Trumps says to herself every morning.
  • Jyzzy-Z 11 Oct 2017 11:56:27 2,291 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I like Leto. He's no Roy Batty, but he was more like the Tyrell figure than the mental replicant, that role fell to Luv, who I thought was really good, particularly the scene in the chief's office.
  • Page

of 26 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.