Blade Runner 2049 Page 12

• Page

of 24 First / Last

• MrFlay 5 Oct 2017 00:53:27 3,498 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Little White Lies is the only negative review I've seen. Still waiting on Sight & Sound.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 Oct 2017 10:41:41 2,659 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The wife never did get to see the whole original film (being tired and it being slowpaced didn't help). Is it even worth taking to her this without rewatching the first or do I have to force the original on her first with the risk of her losing any interest in the newone if she doesn't like it? Would have to decide which cut of the original is best to watch too as it has been a while for me too.
  • Blurp 5 Oct 2017 10:47:04 973 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I have heard from a majority of critics that you don't need to see the original in order to enjoy 2049.
  • Jyzzy-Z 5 Oct 2017 10:51:24 2,174 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    But you do need your head seeing to.
  • nowthenfella 5 Oct 2017 10:56:13 54 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @MrFlay That Little White Lies review was from someone who doesn't like the original and to be honest a lot of their reviews are so up their own arse I stopped taking much notice of them.
  • damagedinc 5 Oct 2017 21:30:09 2,606 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blurp wrote:
    I have heard from a majority of critics that you don't need to see the original in order to enjoy 2049.
    Disagree. Will get much more out of it seeing the first one.

10/10 so good was hooked throughout
  • MrE26 6 Oct 2017 09:44:49 2,035 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Saw it in IMAX 3D last night. It was magnificent. Stunning looking film that takes on the concepts & ideas of the original & runs with them, everyone involved absolutely nails it & I was mesmerised throughout.

Thoroughly enjoyed every second being in that world again. Absolutely fucking amazing film.
  • Jyzzy-Z 6 Oct 2017 09:58:21 2,174 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Going to see it today. Can't fucking wait.
  • GarlVinland 6 Oct 2017 10:01:52 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will be interesting to hear people's opinions on this film. Particularly Harrison Ford's role.
  • damagedinc 6 Oct 2017 10:15:23 2,606 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    Will be interesting to hear people's opinions on this film. Particularly Harrison Ford's role.
    Was worried before hand, but they give him a decent reason for being there and not just because they want old faces. Solid performance from him aswell. He also looks great for his age
  • HarryPalmer 6 Oct 2017 10:23:12 5,218 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Obviously, I was worried about how they justify his existence, but they nail that in the first frame - it makes sense and is totally fine. In terms of his actual story arc and performance - I didn't like it.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 6 Oct 2017 10:23:25 30,586 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm interested to see whether this ends up actually being really good, or whether everyone is just happy they didn't completely fuck it up.
  • HarryPalmer 6 Oct 2017 10:26:31 5,218 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just wish Deckard wasn't in it at all, honestly, I believe it could have been a masterpiece if they had the courage to sever more ties with the original. Instead, its good, great maybe, but a bit of a missed opportunity imo. But yeah, nowhere near the fuck up it could have been.

I need to see it again.
  • GarlVinland 6 Oct 2017 10:29:14 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    I just wish Deckard wasn't in it at all, honestly, I believe it could have been a masterpiece if they had the courage to sever more ties with the original. Instead, its good, great maybe, but a bit of a missed opportunity imo. But yeah, nowhere near the fuck up it could have been.

I need to see it again.
    Totally agree with this. His performance was actually really good I thought, but the problems I had with the film mostly relate to his arc.
  • Jyzzy-Z 6 Oct 2017 17:24:14 2,174 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's fucking great. Thought Ford's part was great too.

Deserves all the praise it has had. A rare film that lives up to expectations. Best thing with Ridley Scott's name on it since the last Blade Runner.

Gosling is great, it looks amazing, the story keeps you interested right through the film.

Best film I've seen in years.
  • reviewer 6 Oct 2017 19:46:24 4,643 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Really like it. Ford remembered how to act.

Aside from the story and all the important parts that are great, there are some very nice naked women in this.
  • Nielzor 6 Oct 2017 19:47:46 463 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Saw it today, great stuff. Question: Was Ryan Gosling's character having the furnace/horse memory just random? They did say that all artists put something of themselves in their work, but then they also went out of their way to say that using real memories was illegal and the memory maker girl had an exceptional intelligence so was good at making stuff up. I was wondering if he was given that memory on purpose so that he would go into mystery-solving mode as some kind of crazy master plan by Jared Leto. That would be pretty convoluted, though.
  • reviewer 6 Oct 2017 19:49:51 4,643 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It was deliberate and their choice not his.
  • Scimarad 6 Oct 2017 21:05:38 9,223 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    K definitely some pretty bad timing in this. One minute he finds out those memories aren't his after all and he isn't special and the next moment he gets it thrown in his face that his 'girlfriend' is basically just a clever app.
  • Tomo 6 Oct 2017 21:10:35 15,544 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Nielzor

I thought she did it deliberately and I *thought* she did it to get K to basically begin the search for Deckard on her behalf because she couldn't leave the chamber obviously. Don't think Wallace had anything to do with implanting that memory? Stelline did it subtly enough that it wouldn't be detected as an illegal memory. Although I could be missing something...
  • ZuluHero 6 Oct 2017 22:23:13 5,831 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My take on it is that she probably knows she is a replicant and implants her own distressing memory to allow others to question their own identity and not remain subservient. Like she said herself, she's supposed to implant happy false memories so they have something positive to reflect on during a life destined for hardship, but among these, she puts a real one, even though it's illegal.

I think the ultimate goal here is that the replicants uprise and rebel. Like the weird old one eye nexus 8/woman said, they knew how to cover their tracks and preserve themselves, and the girl in the bubble knew that fiening a weak immune system would protect her enough while she was able to work from the 'inside' (not fully because she had the power to resist being bought out) to implement memories that would eventually lead to said uprising. She survived quite happily in a dirty old dump and got beaten up in an old blast furnace, so clearly does not have a weak immune system. Also by putting herself in the bubble, she has to remain 'imprisoned' so that others can become free, sort of a metaphor for the replicants! :)

In regards to the replicants with the false real memories, they would question their existences, think they were special, even if they did not really know why, but find through their own ways to the one eyed lady, like she said, they all think the are the special one in one form or another, but ultimately form a resistance to break the chains of their enslavement and eventually overthrow everything.

In terms of the film, I thought it was OK, visually stunning, a bit long with lots of long pans and long pauses, story was quite good but could have still been been told with half an hour cut out. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, so was pleasantly surprised :)

Edited by ZuluHero at 22:25:38 06-10-2017
  • Tomo 6 Oct 2017 22:39:14 15,544 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yes, nice take on Stelline.

But wrong about losing 30 mins :p. It was like Planet Earth III or something :D
  • RichieTenenbaum 6 Oct 2017 22:41:14 2,684 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Misses who didnít like blade runner HATED this. With a passion. Really really hated.

I thought it was dull and it was kind of everything I feared it would be. Lots of long pans and Vangelis but adding more backstory and world building to something I felt didnít need it.

I love the original. Really love. But this seemed aimless.

Obviously Iím an outlier.
  • reviewer 6 Oct 2017 22:49:12 4,643 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I can see why those things could make you hate it, not seeing it being aimless though.
  • barchetta 6 Oct 2017 23:22:56 1,650 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just back from Nottingham Showcase Xplus. Gutted when we got there and found it was a 3D showing but actually thought it was bearable - not too much fast action where 3D really shows its weakness in resolving a picture. The sound though - Dolby Atmos - felt like a rock concert. Excellent and more aggressive than Vangelis - though liberal motifs riffing from his original.

To be honest, I wasn't as impressed with the visual/audio as the original which I rewatched last week. Not to say this film isn't impressive - it really is and with some logical developments to the cityscapes etc. Just, well the original still looks timelessly iconic - set the tone for so much 80s style. I don't see BR2049 being held in such regard in 30 years.

Still digesting the film but eager to see it again 2D Imax would be nice if possible. Told a decent story very well - importantly didn't screw up the original and had quite a few references back to BR and handled tgem with grace.
  • barchetta 6 Oct 2017 23:26:44 1,650 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tip: Do watch BR first.
  • RichieTenenbaum 6 Oct 2017 23:44:24 2,684 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think thereís too much tribute. Even the bit where he examines the photo in the original is referenced.
  • GuiltySpark 7 Oct 2017 00:16:48 6,744 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have the same thoughts on this as I had with Blade Runner: looks pretty as hell, although not much going on beneath the surface.

The original Blade Runner got away with it - this one, not so much.
  • Page

of 24 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.