• Dirtbox 17 Mar 2015 10:36:39 89,096 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Rivuzu 17 Mar 2015 10:38:11 16,233 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Smart phone with a built in controller, considering all the DeNa waffle.
    We N-Gage now boys.
  • CosmicFuzz 17 Mar 2015 10:38:42 31,966 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    There is zero chance of that happening and how could it have full Wii U backwards compatibility with no gamepad?
    Wii U has Wii BC and doesn't come with Wiimotes.
    You can buy wiimotes, you can't buy gamepads and if you could, they'd be very expensive.
    Just because you can't buy gamepads now doesn't mean they wouldn't make them available in the future. Far too soon to say "zero chance" of anything, really.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2015 10:38:53
    the new console is a bit whatever - like dirtbox says above, if they're sensible it'll just be a cheap gateway to their phone gaming service.

that is the real key for them. a netflix for nintendo games* is pretty much the end-game for videogames. i'm made up for nintendo - the best developer no longer tied to to specific hardware is the shake-up the industry needs.

* nintenflix? i'll have a my cheque now, please!

Edited by bobomb at 10:39:40 17-03-2015
  • BigOrkWaaagh 17 Mar 2015 10:39:21 6,417 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    There is zero chance of that happening and how could it have full Wii U backwards compatibility with no gamepad?
    You can buy wiimotes, you can't buy gamepads and if you could, they'd be very expensive.
    I would imagine the only people really wanting Wii U BC would be both the people who currently own Wii Us, and they can just use their existing pads. If they're going to include BC in NX, they can just sell the tablets separately. They can't be that expensive, you can get a shit Android tablet for 50 odd quid.
  • PazJohnMitch 17 Mar 2015 10:44:04 12,896 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Just because you can't buy gamepads now doesn't mean they wouldn't make them available in the future. Far too soon to say "zero chance" of anything, really.
    My Wii U did come with a Wiimote.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Mar 2015 10:56:30 20,169 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Zero chance of Nintendo producing an PS4 ’like “standard console” is what I was expressing.
  • reviewer 17 Mar 2015 10:59:10 4,524 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nonceflix.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 17 Mar 2015 11:08:54 31,297 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Come on man, that stuff isn't cool anymore. It never really was so don't do that, please. I also doubt such a named service would be overly popular with consumers.
  • CosmicFuzz 17 Mar 2015 11:10:42 31,966 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Zero chance of Nintendo producing an PS4 ’like “standard console” is what I was expressing.
    Ah, sorry.
  • reviewer 17 Mar 2015 11:12:43 4,524 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sorry. 'Nintendo Originals Network Central Entertainment Flix'.
  • Zomoniac 17 Mar 2015 11:14:20 9,351 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    It seems to be positioned as another "third pillar", maybe some sort of home streaming thing?
    Which is exactly what they said when they first announced DS, the third pillar that would sit alongside the Game Boy line, not replace it. Didn't happen.
  • Saul_Iscariot 17 Mar 2015 11:22:15 2,921 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It is odd that the usual suspects are trying to infer that there is some a bit paedo about Nintendo. My thinks the people doth protest to much. And smell of fish.
  • mal 17 Mar 2015 11:26:33 28,102 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Come on man, that stuff isn't cool anymore. It never really was so don't do that, please. I also doubt such a named service would be overly popular with consumers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_02q9cly4M
  • rockavitch 17 Mar 2015 11:28:38 946 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I reckon the "x" is used in the same way it's used in moto-x. So my guess is NX means Nintendo Cross (probably not final name anyway) and it'll be like the PSTV thing so you can play you ds/3ds games on tv and all that jazz.

Not expecting it to be anything more than that.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 17 Mar 2015 11:35:02 6,417 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think it will be pronounced "Nintendo Kiss", in a similar way to the KissBox One.
  • TPReview 17 Mar 2015 11:40:55 1,192 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I definitely think it's more likely to be a streaming service than anything. Maybe even playable on the Wii U rather than being new hardware. Develop new games for whatever hardware you want and then stream it to the Wii U, 3DS and mobile. Pay a subscription to play those games.

Personally I'd love it and sign up straight away, the Wii U could end up staying relevant basically forever because the hardware wouldn't matter, just the inputs and the Wii U can already use a broad range (Gamepad, Wiimote, Classic Controller, Pro Controller, Gamecube Controller).

The only thing is that Nintendo said it was new hardware but that could refer to new hardware going forward all being under the NX name (so mobile/portable?)
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Mar 2015 11:49:47 20,169 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    It seems to be positioned as another "third pillar", maybe some sort of home streaming thing?
    Which is exactly what they said when they first announced DS, the third pillar that would sit alongside the Game Boy line, not replace it. Didn't happen.
    Yep, may happen again.
  • Rivuzu 17 Mar 2015 11:55:27 16,233 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    I think it will be pronounced "Nintendo Kiss", in a similar way to the KissBox One.
    TIL: The XO is actually the Kiss Hug console.
  • Phattso 17 Mar 2015 11:57:54 21,661 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Modern software being what it is, I'd bet they have half an eye on retooling their existing WiiU lineup, stripping out both the places where they make genuinely good use of the Gamepad, and having a massive day-one library ready to go.

People buying the Ambassador NX within the first month get to transfer a license for their existing WiiU games gratis. After that it's £20 a game.

Because the one thing they never have enough of at launch is games. And the one thing you can say about the WiiU is it has a fair variety in controllers and control schemes that work well with most of the lineup. So whatever they make next, there's probably a good fit.

If they make good on the home/portable angle that was mooted a while back I'd jump in for sure.
  • WinterSnowblind 17 Mar 2015 11:59:06 1,264 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    The best case scenario is that Nintendo have realised that the Wii was a fluke and that they need to just make a dedicated, reasonably powerful gaming console. I imagine Nintendo bosses are looking at the amount of PS4's and XB1's being sold and they're quite jealous.

All this "NX" needs to be is a Nintendo console with a similar/slightly better spec than the PS4/XB1 - plus it needs a proper controller, no gamepad or waggle stick bollocks. I imagine if it has full backwards compatibility with the Wii U then that would make the Wii U owners happier too.

If that's what the "NX" is, Nintendo will be back in business.
    Does anyone need a third console that does exactly the same thing as the other two? I don't see third parties coming back to support them just because they have a more powerful system and I don't see the general public being convinced by it either. It doesn't make sense on any level.

I think it's more likely they'd release a system without the gimmicks, but significantly less powerful than the PS4/Xbone with a major focus on first party games, mobile integration, amiibo support and things like that.
  • CosmicFuzz 17 Mar 2015 12:01:39 31,966 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WinterSnowblind wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    The best case scenario is that Nintendo have realised that the Wii was a fluke and that they need to just make a dedicated, reasonably powerful gaming console. I imagine Nintendo bosses are looking at the amount of PS4's and XB1's being sold and they're quite jealous.

All this "NX" needs to be is a Nintendo console with a similar/slightly better spec than the PS4/XB1 - plus it needs a proper controller, no gamepad or waggle stick bollocks. I imagine if it has full backwards compatibility with the Wii U then that would make the Wii U owners happier too.

Does anyone need a third console that does exactly the same thing as the other two? I don't see third parties coming back to support them just because they have a more powerful system and I don't see the general public being convinced by it either. It doesn't make sense on any level.

I think it's more likely they'd release a system without the gimmicks, but significantly less powerful than the PS4/Xbone with a major focus on first party games, mobile integration, amiibo support and things like that.
    I don't see the WiiU lasting once this is launched, it has to be a replacement I think. It'll be 2017 at the earliest when the NX comes out, WiiU will be done.
  • WinterSnowblind 17 Mar 2015 12:03:18 1,264 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rockavitch wrote:
    I reckon the "x" is used in the same way it's used in moto-x. So my guess is NX means Nintendo Cross (probably not final name anyway) and it'll be like the PSTV thing so you can play you ds/3ds games on tv and all that jazz.

Not expecting it to be anything more than that.
    They did specifically call it a new console that was being developed.

My guess is that NX just means prototype and it's a place holder name. We're probably at least a couple of years away from anything actually happening with this. People are jumping the gun a bit, I think.
  • Phattso 17 Mar 2015 12:15:30 21,661 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    WiiU would definitely be taken out back and shot. Another reason why they might forward port their WiiU catalogue. If they're not building a B team to do exactly that, they're missing a trick. :)
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Mar 2015 12:18:33 20,169 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    2017 will be 5 years after Wii U launch so time for replacement, especially given it’s commercial struggles.
  • Ultrasoundwave 17 Mar 2015 12:38:13 5,579 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WinterSnowblind wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

The reason why the Wii U has flopped is because 3rd party publishers aren't supporting it - if this new console has the same spec as the PS4/XB1 but has all the first party Nintendo games usually make, it's the best of both worlds.

In short, it makes complete sense.
  • Dolly 17 Mar 2015 12:38:53 3,481 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd be quite happy with a Nintendo type of 'Onlive' box that I could play all their greatest hits on through the telly.
  • Psiloc 17 Mar 2015 12:45:14 4,012 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So weird to be talking about sort-of-next-gen when the current one hasn't really hit its stride yet.
  • Alastair 17 Mar 2015 12:46:03 20,700 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This discussion doesn't feel right without LBro...
  • Phattso 17 Mar 2015 12:48:04 21,661 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can copy and paste one or two contentious arguments a hundred times if it'd make you feel better. ;-)

IMISSHIMSOMUCH!
  • Page

of 782 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.