Nintendo Switch Page 776

• Page

of 782 First / Last

• uiruki 14 Sep 2017 07:21:39 4,370 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Put on Octopath Traveller. Was this always by Acquire? The UE4 logo explains the garish as fuck lighting/bokeh effects and the 30fps. I know it still has no release date but I hope they work out how to do things like render a motionless sprite without it flickering on the edges constantly.

Definitely one of those situations where I just can't agree with the consensus; I think it looks awful and blurry. Would be nice if they put a story auto play/skip function in too since it looks like you'll be playing through 8 times. That's the kind of thing you'd normally assume from other developers but Acquire last put out the unbelievably shit Akiba's Beat so anything is possible!
  • cowell 14 Sep 2017 08:07:32 1,258 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They're holding it because the implementation and execution of Virtual Console is going to be world class, right?!
  • richardiox 14 Sep 2017 08:25:48 6,761 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Or they're pleased with the quality and breadth of the software support already and don't need to pad it out.

Still can't wait for Super Mario World on my Switch though.
  • steve1979 14 Sep 2017 08:31:26 2,104 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well after several weeks of thinking about it, and Amazon sending me a voucher, I've purchased a Nintendo Switch.
  • jimnastics 14 Sep 2017 08:49:54 1,062 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mario Odyssey... unreal.
  • JoelStinty 14 Sep 2017 09:13:17 5,609 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nothing much new shown in that direct, but i enjoyed it nevertheless. A nice round up of loose ends for the year really and release dates.

Doom announcement actually made me go holy shit. It's a fucking amazing game. Really intrigued to see how it runs. And Wolfenstein. I want that game for the ps4, the reveal trailer was awesome, but with mario, and xenobloade coming out later in the year thats my gaming calendar booked up for the year, so again really intrigued to see how that runs too.

I didn't think that they would be able to beat the last Odyssey trailer but they did. Game looks sublime.

Only disappointing thing was lack of VC i am kind of desperate for it now haha. Even though i have other devices :|
  • Flying_Pig 14 Sep 2017 09:50:38 15,363 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wow - the Switch is becoming an increasingly compelling proposition - were it not for my pretty significant Vita back-log I'd definitely be grabbing one now!

Maybe early next year :)
  • DangerousDave_87 14 Sep 2017 10:05:13 2,307 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm finally sold on Mario Odyssey. I mean, I was going to get it anyway, the extra content they've shown off really helped sell it to me. I had a rant a few weeks ago about how poorly collectables are implemented into video games in general, but this game looks as if it's about to show everyone how it should be done. It's basically a treasure hunt for Power Moons with clues scattered all around the place.

As for the rest of the direct, I was quite impressed. I'll definitely be picking up Doom on the Switch, instead of the PS4 (which I never got around to thanks to buying a Switch). It's also nice to see more 3rd party support in general.

Xenoblade 2 looks bonkers, in a good way. The developers seem to be pretty good at making simple concepts unnecessarily complicated (like they have with these drivers), but there's plenty of imagination on show, too. I'm very much on board the day it comes out.
  • THFourteen 14 Sep 2017 10:07:26 45,459 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can't wait for Xenoblade 2. Xenoblade Chronicles which i've only recently finished was one of those games that actually makes you sad to have completed, like a good book.

Played it on the 3DS and kept feeling like i would have loved to play it on a TV, and now i can do just that with the sequel :-)

I'll probably pick up Wolfenstein, and i'm glad Doom is coming out but i wont pick that up as i dont have time to replay already completed games on other platforms.

Too many games for the amount of time i have thesedays ;-(
  • DangerousDave_87 14 Sep 2017 10:14:31 2,307 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    THFourteen wrote:Too many games for the amount of time i have thesedays ;-(
    Especially when one of those games is a Xenoblade game.
  • JoelStinty 14 Sep 2017 10:35:42 5,609 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The marketing/trailers for XC2 have been really bad, but when you see gameplay it looks pretty awesome. Got high hopes for it though!.
  • Addy_B 14 Sep 2017 11:05:27 618 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Mario Odyssey to me looks like it could well be the best 3D mario to date. It looks amazing.
  • Dolly 14 Sep 2017 11:35:12 3,481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pipedream wrote:
    I've never scratched a single device in my life, my original Game Boy is still like brand new.

I've friggin scratched my Switch. Docked it gently like always but it didn't feel quite right so pulled it out and there's now a faint scratch down the left side.

Why didn't they make a dock like the Wii U?

(can barely see the scratch and it's on the black bit so don't notice at all while playing but still annoying)
    Exact same thing happened to mine and i've just had a new console and dock delievered from Nintendo today under Warranty. I originally received an e-mail from the Nintendo Service Centre saying that there'd be a 180 charge, but I pressed the point to them that I felt I was basically quality testing their goods for them as a day one buyer (my left joy-con has already been back to them with the low wi-fi issue) and they made it free of charge. I'll now be buying one of those tempered glass screen protectors to fit on it, as i'm concerned that it's still going to be an ongoing issue for most users over time.
  • brigadier 14 Sep 2017 12:14:04 892 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    36 Fragments of Midnight

Should be out today on the eShop. Is it the cheapest game on the Switch so far? Could be. A procedurally generated platformer that has an arcade feel to it as you collect the 36 titular fragments. It wears its price on its sleeve as it's a very basic game that won't last you long at all, with little replayability. A bit of a disappointment, but I shouldn't expect too much for that price.

http://whataboutthegame.com/2017/09/14/36-fragments-of-midnight-switch-review/

• Jim_Dix 14 Sep 2017 12:17:51 330 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I'm well on the way to saving up for a Switch. The Mario Odyssey edition looks lovely with red joycons. The red looks stronger and more vibrant that the neon red. Alas, I'm not interested in the game. :(
  • macmurphy 14 Sep 2017 12:26:45 2,271 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LA Noire mid November. Hope to God it sells out. GTA V and Red Dead Resemption.That would make me giddy.

Just seeing Doom and Skyrim and Noire gives me so much hope.
  • Daryoon 14 Sep 2017 12:29:18 5,827 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Still befuddled at the reaction to the XB2 character designs, given that it's a Xeno game and they've always had a thing for scantily clad artificial females.
  • JiveHound 14 Sep 2017 13:20:56 8,390 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Still trying to get my head round Doom on Switch.

What a perfect shooter to port.

No one has mentioned the size of it although I would happily jettison the mp.

New card on the horizon methinks.
  • JoelStinty 14 Sep 2017 13:32:28 5,609 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @JiveHound

Apparently at retail the single play is on the cart, and the MP is download. I don't know whether you can choose to optionally download the mp if you buy the game digitally though.
  • rice_sandwich 14 Sep 2017 13:36:21 2,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is Doom a game with replayability and different modes or is it a single playthrough type of game? And how about difficulty settings for those of us whose only previous shooter experience is Splatoon?
  • GuybrushThreepwood 14 Sep 2017 13:40:47 853 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @rice_sandwich I played it briefly on PS4. I used to be pretty good at Doom, but that was 20 years ago and these days I'm...less so. It has a number of difficulty levels and I found it pretty playable and I was able to get a lot further than I thought and it was less run and gun than I had heard and there was plenty of running back and forth and pausing for breath. I'm crap at Splatoon (way worse than i was at Doom 2017).

Replayability I don't know, seemed like any of these types of games in as much as you can replay on a higher difficulty I guess.
  • THFourteen 14 Sep 2017 13:41:49 45,459 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    there was a lot of collectibles and shit, plus they added the arcade mode which is basically a high score mode that you can replay each level as many times as you want

as far as single player shooters go if you arent' interested in multiplayer, this one is probably one of the more replayable.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 14 Sep 2017 13:45:24 853 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Oh and Doom 17 was WAY better than Doom 4 (Mars one). It felt like the original Doom to me and I was an addict on that game.
  • rice_sandwich 14 Sep 2017 13:49:05 2,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cheers. I've never really played shooters to any great extent so it's hard to know what to expect as I think Unreal Tournament was the last one I tried about 15 years ago.. Playing on the go makes it a lot more appealing to me and may be the difference between buy and no buy.
  • JiveHound 14 Sep 2017 14:12:24 8,390 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    Oh and Doom 16 was WAY better than Doom 3 (Mars one). It felt like the original Doom to me and I was an addict on that game.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 14 Sep 2017 14:25:37 853 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @JiveHound That one too :)
  • Nemesis 14 Sep 2017 14:31:59 19,226 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Put on Octopath Traveller. Was this always by Acquire? The UE4 logo explains the garish as fuck lighting/bokeh effects and the 30fps. I know it still has no release date but I hope they work out how to do things like render a motionless sprite without it flickering on the edges constantly.

Definitely one of those situations where I just can't agree with the consensus; I think it looks awful and blurry. Would be nice if they put a story auto play/skip function in too since it looks like you'll be playing through 8 times. That's the kind of thing you'd normally assume from other developers but Acquire last put out the unbelievably shit Akiba's Beat so anything is possible!
    Philip can do one too. Just played through a chunk of the demo...when you actually *get* to the combat it's pretty neat, but my word it's a bit chatty in a mundane chatty way. I still want to love it, but I've cooled a bit after playing it.
  • JiveHound 14 Sep 2017 14:41:24 8,390 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    @JiveHound That one too :)
    It was amazing, it's like you were from another dimension.
  • Pipedream 14 Sep 2017 14:42:22 240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Dolly
    I was going to contact them over the weekend about getting a screen replacement as I now can't stop staring at the scratch.

Was the transaction quick? I use my Switch daily.
  • uiruki 14 Sep 2017 14:54:45 4,370 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Nemesis I'll certainly be giving it a proper go later but I found it a poor first impression. I just played through Trails FC on the Vita for the second time and have gone straight onto SC (both highly recommended if you speak Japanese) so I think my expectations for a JRPG are around that Falcom level right now.
  • Page

of 782 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.