Nintendo Switch Page 773

• Page

of 784 First / Last

• Gaol 11 Sep 2017 20:53:27 3,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes, you should trade up, won't cost that much with the trade and it is a lot smoother on Switch (I completed the game first on Wii U).
  • MrFlay 11 Sep 2017 20:55:34 3,354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's such a great game I wouldn't mind playing through it all again. I bought the pass for the Wii U so that's wasted money at least.
  • Phattso 11 Sep 2017 21:34:23 21,670 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah Id have double dipped on Switch if the DLC worked for both.
  • binky Moderator 11 Sep 2017 22:19:29 10,779 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    Do I restart Zelda on Switch? Three beasts done on the Wii U. The disc copy will fetch a decent amount from CEX too.
    Do it. I'd completed the story but went again when I purchased a Switch. Worth it. Much smoother experience. Way more vibrant too.
  • werewolf_poo 11 Sep 2017 23:19:53 371 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is there a reason Nintendo have never went with some kind of Achievement system yet? It seems like such a missed opportunity in my opinion. I feel like it adds more worth to games and it makes you play on instead of giving up on a lot of titles.

Sony clearly seen the worth it had to gamers when they copied the Xbox achievements system. Has there every been any comment by ninety on this?

Games like Zelda would have such great varied lists and although Im not a hardcore achievement hunter I do feel like the RPG genre is perfect for achievements as there are no multiplayer elements to mess about with.

Thoughts?
  • H1ggyLTD 11 Sep 2017 23:38:26 7,339 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I likes em.
  • MrFlay 11 Sep 2017 23:57:41 3,354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't care. It would be nice if you could turn them off.
  • waggy79 12 Sep 2017 00:05:01 1,778 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @werewolf_poo There are rumours they're in the works but nothing announced yet. I've always thought Nintendos games would lend themselves very well to extra achievement type challenges perhaps like speedrunning or high scores and hope it gets implemented.

In other news I finally just bought a switch from Tesco for 254.99 with that voucher code as both colours are in stock right now...
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Sep 2017 01:38:36 20,174 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    MrFlay wrote:
    I'm thinking about buying one today on Amazon. I have a 5 discount for complaining to their customer service and it's cheaper than the shops here (Ireland). I won't be getting a One X this year due to not having the cash for a decent 4K TV.

With priority shipping, I can have it by Wednesday but what would I play on it? I'm getting it for Mario Odyssey. I just wish it had more games that aren't on the Wii U. Xenoblade 2 does look interesting. I think the buyer's remorse is probable. However the console will probably be much harder to get when Odyssey releases and approaching Christmas. I have 4 hours to decide.
    I don't have buyers remorse as such, I'll need my Switch for Mario, but it sits collecting dust mostly. I don't get the love for it at all. It's another occasional use machine like the last one. At least the Wii had occasional decent releases in the 30 - 40 range, the Switch has had Arms and two Wii U remakes since it launched with Zelda.

I also don't like it's ergonomics, the very slight wiggle from the detachable joy cons annoys me far more than it should, and it's control placement is terrible, I'm also not impressed with the lack of OS features or app support. The whole thing just feels lazy and expensive at this point.

EDIT: Too late you bought one!
    I take it Mario x Rabbids and Splatoon 2 escaped your attention.
  • THFourteen 12 Sep 2017 06:19:26 45,465 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @werewolf_poo

I think because Nintendo like gaming to be fun rather than a chore!
  • mothercruncher 12 Sep 2017 08:29:41 13,761 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, hope Nintendo never introduce them.
  • MrFlay 12 Sep 2017 08:54:22 3,354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The games are rewarding enough in themselves.

My Switch will arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to trying a demo or two. I might not buy a game until Mario Odyssey.
  • JoelStinty 12 Sep 2017 08:55:54 5,610 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    werewolf_poo wrote:
    Is there a reason Nintendo have never went with some kind of Achievement system yet? It seems like such a missed opportunity in my opinion. I feel like it adds more worth to games and it makes you play on instead of giving up on a lot of titles.

Sony clearly seen the worth it had to gamers when they copied the Xbox achievements system. Has there every been any comment by ninety on this?

Games like Zelda would have such great varied lists and although Im not a hardcore achievement hunter I do feel like the RPG genre is perfect for achievements as there are no multiplayer elements to mess about with.

Thoughts?
    I think Achievements suit certain games but not others. Another poster (Ecu) made a great point on why Breath of the Wild would be worse off having achievements.

He basically said that The breath of the wild, is a big expansive world, and the emphasis of the game is going on your own journey. Each players journey is different, and it is up to you to discover it's nooks and crannies. Having achievements puts up walls and players will seek to complete the game and the achievements only, it takes away the freedom the game originally intended. Instead of the player exploring the game on their own whim (and if the game can't do that it fails) they just go from a to b to defeat 300 monster using a certain weapon. It shys away from the actual game is about.

To be honest it has been really refreshing not having achievements, instead of the game telling me to do this and that, it is nice to make a conscious decisions to actually get all S ranks on Graceful explosion machine, or place first in every cup in Fast RMX because i actually want to, not because i have too. It has been nice to have no distractions or expectation of what the game wants of me from a trophy standpoint, i can just enjoy the game and explore its systems and game setting/world at my own pace.

Having said that games like Bloodborne, dark souls, achievements suit the game because it is an extra challenge on top the challenge already. And i can't say that i have not enjoyed going for platinum on certain games because i have, but i don't think they are important.

Perhaps they would suit only being attainable in new game + modes or something.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Sep 2017 09:00:50 2,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm not a fan of achievements but I don't mind if they're introduced. As long as they can be turned off I don't see the problem.

I get that they can become a problem for people who like them and that some people will spend hours on pointless busywork that isn't really fun just so they can get 100%
  • rice_sandwich 12 Sep 2017 09:03:56 2,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @MrFlay

You can borrow Mario Rabbids from me if you like. I'm not going to start it any time soon.
  • SamNunn92 12 Sep 2017 09:04:30 708 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry if this has been posted before but I've just noticed PayPal are doing another of those 5 off deals if you top up your eShop balance with 20 via PayPal. It's limited to first 5000 customers but I've just tried it and it worked for me.
  • MrFlay 12 Sep 2017 09:07:51 3,354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @MrFlay

You can borrow Mario Rabbids from me if you like. I'm not going to start it any time soon.
    Thanks for the offer but I live in Ireland and postage to or from here is crazy expensive.

I wonder when Nintendo will start offering Switch discounts through My Nintendo. Do you get gold coins for Switch purchases?
  • rice_sandwich 12 Sep 2017 09:13:25 2,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @MrFlay

Ok, but I don't mind posting to Ireland if you want to play it. It's not a problem. If not, any other regulars want to borrow Mario Rabbids?
  • superbob85 12 Sep 2017 09:46:49 7,643 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good deal at game neon switch with rayman 279.99. 🤔

Edited by superbob85 at 09:47:12 12-09-2017
  • Kay 12 Sep 2017 09:56:35 19,291 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    Do you get gold coins for Switch purchases?
    You do for retail game purchases, but I'm not quite sure what those coins actually do...
  • pk1980 12 Sep 2017 09:59:25 766 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Think the reward scheme will be linked to them in some way.
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Sep 2017 10:05:38 2,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The coins grab you discounts and free software for the 3DS and Wii U. They can also be redeemed from digital purchases from the Switch's main menu.

Unfortanutely, Switch related rewards are still 'coming soon'.
  • Kay 12 Sep 2017 10:07:29 19,291 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Does anyone know where I can see how many gold coins I've accrued? Can't find any info on my Nintendo account.
  • pk1980 12 Sep 2017 10:08:39 766 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I looked up the eShop online, you can sign in and see your profile and your coins.
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Sep 2017 10:09:56 2,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Also: https://my.nintendo.com
  • MrFlay 12 Sep 2017 10:11:48 3,354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Does anyone know where I can see how many gold coins I've accrued? Can't find any info on my Nintendo account.
    My Nintendo is a separate login linked to your eShop account. You can check your balance there. I think Gold coins eventually expire. Nintendo don't do simple solutions.
  • Kay 12 Sep 2017 10:12:46 19,291 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ah, first time I've managed to actually log in to the web eShop. Apparently I have 420 silver coins, and 136 gold coins.
  • the_milkybar_kid 12 Sep 2017 10:18:35 5,727 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Shame you can't use the coins for anything useful if you don't have a DS or Wii U. The fact that they expire is wank when there's nothing to spend them on.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 10:19:01 12-09-2017
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Sep 2017 10:22:11 2,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yeah, hopefully they add Switch stuff soon. Even new themes would be a start. I did recently bag Runner 2: Future of Rhythm Alien for free though. I completed it on Xbox 360 back in the day, but it's an awesome game and I got the opportunity to double dip for free.
  • THFourteen 12 Sep 2017 10:35:01 45,465 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    superbob85 wrote:
    Good deal at game neon switch with rayman 279.99. 🤔
    The inevitable price cuts begin, this thing is going to bomb bigstyle
  • Page

of 784 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.