Nintendo Switch Page 609

• Page

of 790 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 20 Mar 2017 13:12:10 20,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Switch024
    I would try the joy-con grip first and see how you go.
    I prefer the Pro controller by far and use it all the time.
  • UncleLou Moderator 20 Mar 2017 13:12:17 38,561 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Joycon grip is totally fine, playing both Zelda and Fast RMX with it. See no need for a Pro controller. Biggest advantage would be that you don't need to slide the Joycons on and off for TV mode if you have a Pro, I guess.

Personally, I took a look at my controller "collection" (2x DS3, 2xDS4, 360, One, Steam, etc.) and said no. :p

Edited by UncleLou at 13:12:42 20-03-2017
  • midi82 20 Mar 2017 13:12:25 1,029 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I haven't even bothered with the grip, just have the joycons separately, a bit like wiimote and nunchuck with no wires.
  • ISmoke 20 Mar 2017 13:12:48 1,670 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I haven't felt the need for the Pro controller. The joy cons either independently or in the joycon grip work well enough. I'll be buying another set of joycons before I get a Pro controller.
  • Switch024 20 Mar 2017 13:16:39 1,909 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ISmoke wrote:
    I haven't felt the need for the Pro controller. The joy cons either independently or in the joycon grip work well enough. I'll be buying another set of joycons before I get a Pro controller.
    Good point, I could get another set of Joy-cons and be all set for some 4 player Mario Kart.

I'll see how I get on with the grip before I take a punt on the pro controller.
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Mar 2017 13:16:40 20,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The right stick of the Pro is in a more comfortable position, the sticks are better IMO and the buttons are much bigger. It's a great controller but as you can see, opinion is varied so def best to try.
  • Switch024 20 Mar 2017 13:20:35 1,909 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm just being tight and don't want spend another 60 quid if the grip does the job.

I never bought the Pro controller for the Wii U and looking back I should have just got one.
  • the_milkybar_kid 20 Mar 2017 13:41:21 5,741 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Honestly the grip is great. Even playing with the Joycons separately is a lovely and novel experience. I wouldn't have bothered with the Pro as either of the aforementioned are perfectly good for gaming, but as it was a gift I had no choice. And it's very, very nice indeed.
  • GADG3Tx87 20 Mar 2017 13:43:31 4 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I came here to have a read because I wanted to see if there are any reports on a similar issue I'm having which not many people seem to be talking about.

After scouring the internet and even following Nintendo's own recommendations I'm still having syncing issues with my Joy-Cons.

They work fine in handheld mode but when I want to play on my TV the damn things keep missing commands and not responding and unlike other people it's happening on both of them very frequently.

I'm not near the router, less than two metres away from the ststem, my other systems are currently disconnected, no obstructions between me and the machine and in plain sight and it's still hapoening too often. IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY. I can't tell you the ammount of times I've died due to the Joy-Cons not responding to commands.

I've emailed Nintendo a couple of days ago with no responce and I'm trying to decide if I should just fork out for the "Pro Controller". Either way this is not good. I love the system and BotW is amazing but this is so damn annoying.

Venting over, sorry guys.

Edited by GADG3Tx87 at 13:48:50 20-03-2017
  • erasr 20 Mar 2017 13:47:22 144 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Grip is perfect to me and I love my DS4. Sound weird I know but I can't think of any faults with the grip approach. Buttons are smaller but they feel nice a tight, responsive, in a 'cute' way. I think I may have small/average size hands.

No way am I getting the Pro controller, especially not for 60.
  • the_milkybar_kid 20 Mar 2017 13:48:23 5,741 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @GADG3Tx87 Ring Nintendo or use their live chat. I emailed them 3 times before using their live chat and they're now sending a shipping label to send them back.

I've been having problems but moved the Switch further forward on the shelf 3-4 feet away and it's perfect. I don't think there's anything you can do but a chap a few pages ago mentioned he added solder to the board inside and it works flawlessly.
  • GADG3Tx87 20 Mar 2017 13:51:43 4 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @the_milkybar_kid Hi, thanks for replying. When you say they're sending a shipping label to send them back do they want the whole system back or just the Joy-Cons?
  • the_milkybar_kid 20 Mar 2017 13:59:21 5,741 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They'll ask you if you'd like to send just the Joycons or the full system back, I'm not sending the system as it's blatantly clear where the problem lies and I don't want to lose 25 hours of Zelda save.
  • GADG3Tx87 20 Mar 2017 14:02:05 4 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @the_milkybar_kid I'll get on their live chat then and see what happens. (I avoid phonecalls where I can lol) Thanks for the info. I'll post back and let you folks know what happens.
  • Switch024 20 Mar 2017 14:29:21 1,909 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ordered with Amazon, I have some credit with them but having to wait for ten days for them to get some stock. The day of delivery it can arrive anytime and as late as 8pm.

That could turn out to be a very long day!
  • Switch024 20 Mar 2017 14:43:23 1,909 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Should I be investing in a screen protector?

I never usually bother with them but have heard some are getting scratches from docking it. Is this fairly common?
  • macmurphy 20 Mar 2017 14:47:16 2,281 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    Should I be investing in a screen protector?

I never usually bother with them but have heard some are getting scratches from docking it. Is this fairly common?
    I think it's worth it for any portable console, especially one that's not a clamshell. The official case comes with one included for about 17; it just gives me a little extra peace of mind. Screen's not gorilla glass - some users have said it does scratch easy so best to get a cover of some sort.
  • JoelStinty 20 Mar 2017 14:57:18 5,618 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think there are a few isolated incidents of scratching screens and thats it. I check in on the gaf thread now and again and its turned into a DIY thread rather than people having issues. (And they're making things worse by putting padding in side the dock which allows dust, grit and what not to stick)

Worth getting one for the extra protection though and a piece of mind. The official case as one as macmurphy as eluded too. Decent case too.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 20 Mar 2017 15:34:38 9,424 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the screen is extremely soft. Ive had a screen protector on since the second day (on the first day it barely left the dock), but the other day when I removed my protector to put on a new better one, under close examination there was a few very tiny scuffs on it. Nothing youd ever notice in daily usage, but it that was the result of literally a days wear and tear (with it hardly being used) I would worry about long term usage without a protector.
  • THFourteen 20 Mar 2017 15:36:01 45,472 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal

Problem is if you're the sort of person who can't unsee that sort of thing once you know its there.

Like me
  • Switch024 20 Mar 2017 15:52:32 1,909 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sounds like it needs the extra protection and I'd be fuming if it got scratched.

I'll get a tempered glass one from Amazon.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 20 Mar 2017 15:54:46 9,424 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oddly my tempered glass cover broke the first day its was on my Switch. My kid gently knocked something on it and it cracked it. Not sure if the cover itself was faulty or what. I was pretty shocked. Luckily you get two in the pack anyway.
  • jimnastics 20 Mar 2017 16:10:19 1,065 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    I think the screen is extremely soft. Ive had a screen protector on since the second day (on the first day it barely left the dock), but the other day when I removed my protector to put on a new better one, under close examination there was a few very tiny scuffs on it. Nothing youd ever notice in daily usage, but it that was the result of literally a days wear and tear (with it hardly being used) I would worry about long term usage without a protector.
    I noticed similar scuffs when applying my screen protector, a couple quite noticeable under the right light around where those ridges in the dock can touch the screen. Definitely recommend screen protectors to everyone!
  • Kay 20 Mar 2017 16:18:26 19,295 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I still haven't received the tempered glass screen protector, so have been using the Switch as is for the past couple of weeks. I've had a couple of smudges that were a bit hard to clean off, but no discernable scratches so far. I have been very careful placing it into the dock though (and used one of the soft covers inside the dock to protect the screen).
  • el_pollo_diablo 20 Mar 2017 16:19:52 2,666 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have a tiny bit of fluff under my screen protector. When I'm playing it's basically invisible but my god it bothers me just knowing it exists.
  • THFourteen 20 Mar 2017 16:20:45 45,472 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's no doubt these things have a few issues, and nintendo have previous in terms of updating their consoles - GBA to GBA SP, DS to DSi, 3DS to new 3DS

Question is whether waiting 2 years for it is worth 350 to you.

I'm still planning to pick one up later this year, am hoping at least the desyncing joycon issue will be fixed in the manufacturing process by then
  • Kay 20 Mar 2017 16:25:14 19,295 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    All reported issues aside, it really is a glorious handheld. Probably the comfiest I've ever used, and the screen is so crisp and lovely.

I heard the fan on it for the first time ever the other day - was wondering what that rather loud whooshing sound was, until I put my ear close to the vent. Oddly enough, it only kicked in when I was starting up Zelda, and then was fine when I actually started playing the game.
  • GADG3Tx87 20 Mar 2017 16:28:12 4 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Bit of an update for everyone who is interested from my earlier post.

I called Nintendo and explained the issue I'm having witg the Joy-Cons not responding properly while the console is docked. He said he's been hearing this a lot and offered me either to the entire unit back to the retailer for an exchange or refund, send the entire unit to Nintendo (confirmed I will lose game progress), or just send in the Joy-Cons.

Natrually I chose to send just the Joy-Cons and he is posting me a pre-paid label to send them in for repair.

They were very friendly and helpful over the phone, much better than nany experieces I've had with other customer support teams.

In the mean time I think my brother nay have to temporarily "lose" his pro controller.
  • Deleted user 20 March 2017 16:32:16
    @Kay Very infrequently, when I start the switch up in handheld mode, the fan comes on and blows cool air like crazy for about 30 seconds before it shuts off or lowers it's speed to near silent. I'm amazed how much airflow this very small and very compact fan can put out.
  • beastmaster 20 Mar 2017 20:06:23 17,275 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, everything just seems to fucking fly along when the Hori LAN adapter. No more bare minimum wi-fi signal anymore. Progress bar at the bottom of the screen zips along. Tempted to buy I Am Setsuna just to see how fast the download is. Actually there's the Splatoon demo I could download.

Edited by beastmaster at 20:06:49 20-03-2017
  • Page

of 790 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.