The Anime Appreciation Thread Page 2

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• The-Bodybuilder 2 Apr 2015 01:20:58 16,527 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @KRadiation I wanted to stop at where the TV ends, but considering series 2 probably won't be out till nearer 2017, I couldn't wait.

Gotta say though, kinda disappointed in where it tails off to reading all of that. Also plot seems near identical to Fullmetal Alchemist too.
  • KRadiation 2 Apr 2015 08:28:00 1,141 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder

Yeah the whole story of season 2 I guess, it just feels odd. Like each month I've been reading and thinking 'can we get back to the real story now and enough of this'.
  • drhickman1983 2 Apr 2015 08:39:36 4,514 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Booing Akira?

Schoolkids are dumb. It's drags towards the end but the first 2/3rds are great. To be fair I don't think I liked it much when I first watched it, as I would have been a dumb school kid too. I've realised my error since.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 08:40:37 02-04-2015
  • Rivuzu 2 Apr 2015 09:22:41 15,610 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been using my commute to go back and rewatch all of One Piece.

I'm currently at episode 454. It's taken me two months so far.

Halp. I still have 200 to go. T_T
  • Tuffty 2 Apr 2015 10:20:33 3,707 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Monster is usually my go to recommendation. It's something which I feel would work if you made a real adaptation of it, it would fit well. It's a slow burn but very well done.

Tried to get back into anime by watching the highly rated Kill la Kill and I just couldn't stand the first episode. When I get the opportunity, I'll check out Attack on Titan to see what the hype is about. Prefer something slightly more grounded. I really rate Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Death Note (1st half at least, the second half is awful), Ghost in the Shell, Fist of the North Star, Planetes.

Edited by Tuffty at 10:21:18 02-04-2015
  • drhickman1983 2 Apr 2015 10:38:50 4,514 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The second half of Death Note isn't awful. Just nowhere near as good as the first half.

Attack on Titan has some weird pacing issues, I felt. Some really cool moments but lots of meh between.
  • Tuffty 2 Apr 2015 10:47:45 3,707 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ^ Sounds like that is also true about Death Note. I mean come on, the plot is derailed halfway through by some last minute reveal which can turn Light good for a few episodes during which they're investigating an evil bank or something. Then we're back, L is gone, you think the show will head in a different direction now that the worlds greatest detective is gone and Light won, but no, another last minute reveal that L actually had a student who is just as smart and brilliant and eccentric as him so the investigation continues and makes L's death completely pointless. So fucking lame.

Edited by Tuffty at 10:50:27 02-04-2015
  • TheMayorOfJugs 2 Apr 2015 11:05:01 6,457 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well you know, except for the fact that Light had become L's best friend and the betrayal was that much more awful, and we (well, I) had become attached to L as a character. His death wasn't pointless, it had weight behind it, and showed how much of a cunt Light is...and stuff.
  • Rivuzu 2 Apr 2015 12:26:28 15,610 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh yeah. Death Note.

Didn't like it. Considered "new wave" of inspirational manga/anime, but the manga was a chore and despite the brilliant animation team, it didn't pop out in the anime either.

Fucking loved Bakuman though. That was some brilliant writing, and a peek behind the curtain.

I'd recently convinced the missus to sit through FMA:B with me, as she always gets to the Nina episode and bursts out crying. She wants to start One Piece, considering my recent obsession - yeah good luck, with the Choppers story/Brooks story/Going Merry finally put to rest/Luffy and Usopp manfight/Zoro taking on Luffys pain during the Thriller Bark arc/Ace's Death!
  • Ror 2 Apr 2015 13:15:36 14,736 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder The original Akira dub (with Leonardo from Turtles) wasn't the best at relaying some of the stuff that's going on and is especially confusing if you watched it as a kid (as I'm sure most of us did). I loved Akira right from the first time I saw it, though it was more about the visual side of it then for me - the way Neo Tokyo looked, Kaneda's bike and the gangs - and of course the soundtrack.

If you can face it again, definitely check out the newer dub, it's a lot better IMO.

I absolutely love the film. I went to see it at the Barbican a couple of years back and it was brilliant on the big screen, too. Damn, I'm going to have to watch it again now.

Edited by Ror at 13:17:27 02-04-2015
  • drhickman1983 2 Apr 2015 13:19:50 4,514 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Or watch the subtitled version, even better than the new dub.
  • Ror 2 Apr 2015 13:24:16 14,736 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Of course, there's that too. The (original) dub version of Akira is the first example of anime I'd ever seen so I guess that's just how it lives in my head - in English.

I watch most anime subbed, but now that I think about it I don't think I've ever watched Akira subbed!

EDIT Wait, no, that's a lie. It was the Japanese track when I saw it at the Barbican and I remember it being a familiar experience, so I must have watched it in Japanese at home at least once.

Edited by Ror at 13:30:53 02-04-2015
  • drhickman1983 2 Apr 2015 13:30:21 4,514 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, there are some anime's that I prefer dubbed, and that's often down to the fact that I saw them in that format first. Cyber City Oedo 808 is probably a good example of that, though I don't think that dub is actually bad.

Cowboy Bebop I prefer the dub, but that's definitely a good dub. I think the creator has even said they prefer the dub (I may have misread that, though).

Berserk is weird. I prefer the dubbed Guts and Griffith, but the background characters are terrible.

The original Akira dub is pretty bad though. The new dub is all right, but I prefer the subbed version.
  • Ror 2 Apr 2015 13:36:38 14,736 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A lot of early-to-mid-nineties dubs were pretty bad. Evangelion is one of my favourite things ever, but the English dub could almost ruin that for me.

The Ghibli films usually have excellent dubs, so I've watched most of those in both. You do get the odd one, like Laputa, where it sounds like Anna Paquin's accent changes throughout it and Pazu sounds about 35.

I get the feeling dubs are a bit more well-received these days - I've seen some dubbed clips of Kill la Kill and that sounded like it fit reasonably well.
  • Rivuzu 2 Apr 2015 13:40:22 15,610 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Image of those subs or no watch guys.

Watching anime in English gives me no enjoyment. The seiyus capture the character much better for me.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 2 Apr 2015 13:42:32 6,457 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've watched a lot of subs at this stage and still don't know much Japanese. Desu desu kawaii komenasaii.

Am I doing it wrong senpais?
  • Rivuzu 2 Apr 2015 13:44:08 15,610 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think it's possible to pick up Japanese by watching anime, jugs :D mostly because the language is catered to be more direct rather than conversational.

/Or so I'm told by a friend who is fluent
  • drhickman1983 2 Apr 2015 13:48:43 4,514 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BAKKA

That's really all I've got.

Just remembered, I quite enjoyed an anime called Saiyuki. A modern version of the Journey to the West (what the old Monkey TV show was based on).

Quite fun, a bit silly. Kind of annoying that the journey was never resolved, at least in the anime.
  • Ror 2 Apr 2015 13:51:16 14,736 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You'll pick up the odd word here and there, go around calling people 'baka' for a week, realise you look like a twat, and then hopefully stop.

EDIT Should'a refreshed before submitting :D

Edited by Ror at 13:51:42 02-04-2015
  • TheMayorOfJugs 2 Apr 2015 13:54:07 6,457 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    I don't think it's possible to pick up Japanese by watching anime, jugs :D mostly because the language is catered to be more direct rather than conversational.

/Or so I'm told by a friend who is fluent
    FILTHY GAIJIN

/got that from Fast and Furious 3, technically proving filthy gaijin rivuzu's point :(
  • The-Bodybuilder 2 Apr 2015 18:20:03 16,527 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    KRadiation wrote:
    @The-Bodybuilder

Yeah the whole story of season 2 I guess, it just feels odd. Like each month I've been reading and thinking 'can we get back to the real story now and enough of this'.
    Yup, a lot of politics and having Historia become a major figure just seems silly.
    Even the reveal of Eren's powers was disappointing, and also makes no sense his last memory of his dad was him leaving and not coming back. When the heck did he eat him?

And as stated before, it's way too similar to Fullmetal, plot wise.
  • FrostPan 2 Apr 2015 18:31:03 1,203 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Death Note is overrated bollocks. It's a good series, but no way it deserves the praise it receives. The second season was just disappointing and just diminished the overall series's great quality. It would have been awesome if the manga/anime instead spanned more than two seasons (akin to Breaking Bad). The second season should be rewritten too. I recommend Code Geass instead, a better alternative for sure - similar themes but better executed as a whole and one of my favourites.

The original Neon Genesis Evangelion series is recommended too, if you want a mindfuck.
  • OmniaVincitAmor 2 Apr 2015 18:36:32 2,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FrostPan wrote:
    Death Note is overrated bollocks. It's a good series, but no way it deserves the praise it receives. The second season was just disappointing and just diminished the overall series's great quality. It would have been awesome if the manga/anime instead spanned more than two seasons (akin to Breaking Bad). The second season should be rewritten too. I recommend Code Geass instead, a better alternative for sure - similar themes but better executed as a whole and one of my favourites.

The original Neon Genesis Evangelion series is recommended too, if you want a mindfuck.
    I agree but Death Note season 1 is amazing. Word is they forced wrote season 2 because of its popularity.

Claymore is good.

Ninja scroll feature film is still the one.
  • FrostPan 2 Apr 2015 18:54:23 1,203 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:I agree but Death Note season 1 is amazing. Word is they forced wrote season 2 because of its popularity.
    It would have better if it did ended with just one season, although the 'alternate ending' (MAJOR SPOILERS) would have been cool to end it there. Reminds me how much I loved the opening and ending themes for the whole series, well apart from the second season's opening.

I actually preferred the live-actions movies' ending :S. Surprising good adaptions, even with plot differences.
  • Rivuzu 2 Apr 2015 19:18:21 15,610 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @FrostPan Oh man, I fucking loved Code: Geass. Before I downloaded One Piece up to episode godknowshwat, I was looking for fansubs of that everywhere and couldn't find any. Lelouch is the most amazing dickhead to ever exist in any anime.
  • spindle9988 2 Apr 2015 19:24:39 4,479 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is that Titan one any good? It's on Netflix but I can't check what's its called
  • Rivuzu 2 Apr 2015 19:32:32 15,610 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It is.

It's worth it for the opening alone.

Seid ihr das Essen?!
    Nein, wir sind der Jäger!!

Rough translation: Are we to be eaten? No, we are Hunters!

Translated it sounds shoddy, but the music is grrrrrrreat.
  • pogomeister 2 Apr 2015 20:02:16 1,338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah attack on Titan is great first full anime I've watched! Am on psycho pass now and quite enjoying it! It's also on Netflix. A also watched a bit of kill la kill a think it's called but it's Pervy as fuck haha
  • The-Bodybuilder 2 Apr 2015 22:45:12 16,527 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Is that Titan one any good? It's on Netflix but I can't check what's its called
    It's what got me into anime now and inspired this thread.
  • karlo87 4 Apr 2015 00:45:04 1,858 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kinda sucks Crunchyroll can't show One Piece here due to license issues or something :(
  • Page

of 14 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.