The Anime Appreciation Thread Page 9

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• FrostPan 29 Nov 2016 17:12:05 1,376 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah yes, AoT season 2...

They took the piss of taking this long, but I did like the director's offering with Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress earlier this year, unlike most people.

Edited by FrostPan at 17:13:42 29-11-2016
  • Rivuzu 29 Nov 2016 17:19:55 16,610 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AoT... doesn't get much better. From the manga anyway. All of the great bits have come and gone now. There might be one further bit later, before the entire thing just starts to fizzle into some sort of war commentary thing.

Will probably still watch it though, just so I can sing along to the theme tunes.

SIND SIE DAS ESSEN?! NEIN, WIR SIND DER JAEGER!
    /Guitar
  • GarlVinland 6 Dec 2016 10:52:47 2,153 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 6 December 2016 10:55:54
    @Rivuzu Really? How difficult can it be just to have massive naked giants punch the shit out of each other...

Also, anyone watching Bungo Stray Dogs. It is really good
  • KRadiation 6 Dec 2016 11:02:48 1,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Full metal live action trailer

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=XBDkHljwh8c

Not sure how well this one's gonna translate over into a movie given the length of the story to tell.
  • Rivuzu 6 Dec 2016 11:34:34 16,610 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Graxlar_v2 When it tries to spin itself off as a political thriller rather than just the last batch of humanity trying to survive.
  • GarlVinland 6 Dec 2016 11:57:05 2,153 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sooo...don't spunk 100 on the manga volumes 8-20 is what you're saying?
  • ISmoke 6 Dec 2016 12:23:15 1,688 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    Sooo...don't spunk 100 on the manga volumes 8-20 is what you're saying?
    No, do. I find the manga was much better. Hell, had they ended the anime literally one chapter after where the manga goes it would've been a much better cliffhanger.

Looking forward to reading the latest volume this weekend with a hangover.

edit: What I mean is the Anime ends about halfway through Volume 8. Had the ended it just after the halfway point the cliffhanger would've been much better.

Edited by ISmoke at 12:24:21 06-12-2016
  • GarlVinland 6 Dec 2016 15:30:49 2,153 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers, bought! :) Christmas gift for my AoT obsessed gf, hope she likes it!
  • Ror 18 Dec 2016 14:52:11 16,573 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got a mate a copy of Madoka Magica for Christmas. I was hoping to catch a hint of a "What the fuck is this" look on his face as he unwrapped the gift and saw the cover art.

Instead, he said, "Oh! I almost bought this for myself yesterday!"

Bah. Plan thwarted.
  • Ror 21 Dec 2016 22:29:29 16,573 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is Kissanime gone? I haven't used it in a while, and switched ISPs recently. Just tried it the other day and it appeared to be blocked by my new provider, so I added it to the whitelist, and it still tells me it's blocked.

Checking here says it's been down for at least ten days, and the comments show others complaining of not being able to reach it.

Also, while I'm here, I'm going to quote this:

Ror wrote:
    Having only recently gotten around to it, I'd like to add Madoka Magica to my earlier list. It's not the kind of show you'd expect it to be, given the visual style.

Really enjoyed it, and now I need to get the film.

EDIT Also, EIGHT THOUSAND POOOOOOOOSTS.
    One year and one day later, I hit 13,000 posts (okay, this is 13,001, but shh). Kind of mad that I made 5,000 out of those 13,000 posts in a year.

Edited by Ror at 22:30:38 21-12-2016
  • FrostPan 22 Dec 2016 23:18:04 1,376 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ror

It's been down for almost two weeks I think. They recently got DMCA'ed hard again, which looking on Google it happened around the same time last year.

I believe they have to upload all the videos again, which I can imagine takes a very long time considering their limitless catalogue. But yeah, I expect this will keep happening from time to time. I wouldn't recommend the site as they are legal alternatives, but not denying they have anime that is simply not available to legally view/purchase.
  • Ror 22 Dec 2016 23:37:36 16,573 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @FrostPan Cheers FrostPan.

Yeah, I was only using it for Sega Hard Girls, as it's just really hard to find anywhere to watch that. Typically, if I want to watch a show I'll re-sub to Crunchyroll for the month or just buy it physically.

Speaking of which, I went out for a Christmas meal with a bunch of chums the other night and was given Tokyo Ghoul and Angel Beats.
  • oldschoolsoviet 22 Dec 2016 23:44:42 6,249 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, the entire Kiss... array of sites were, ahem, server shuffling, and are slowly getting back up to speed.
  • FrostPan 23 Dec 2016 00:12:56 1,376 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ror

Yeah, I gathered that you use it to watch relatively obscure anime that isn't readily available. It is indeed a useful website for that.

Not personally judging on what people use to get their anime fix, but just illustrating sites like Kissanime are always prone to getting taken down. And it would most likely be relauched under a different domain.
  • Ror 23 Dec 2016 00:31:41 16,573 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, the site I had been trying to watch it on before went belly up before I could see it all. I can't even remember what that site was called.
  • FanBoysSuck 23 Dec 2016 08:45:55 1,635 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    @FrostPan Cheers FrostPan.

Yeah, I was only using it for Sega Hard Girls, as it's just really hard to find anywhere to watch that. Typically, if I want to watch a show I'll re-sub to Crunchyroll for the month or just buy it physically.

Speaking of which, I went out for a Christmas meal with a bunch of chums the other night and was given Tokyo Ghoul and Angel Beats.
    Angel Beats is a thing of beauty. Possibly the best soundtrack to anything ever. I'd be surprised if you didn't find yourself becoming a fan of LiSA after watching it :)
  • FrostPan 23 Dec 2016 13:01:59 1,376 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heard great things about Angel Beats. Think it is the same director who did Charlotte, which was an anime I recently watched and quite enjoyed.

Tokyo Ghoul is ok. Gripping to watch from start to finish, but didn't really linger in my mind after.
  • ISmoke 24 Dec 2016 09:35:34 1,688 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh i must finish season 2 of TG. Really enjoyed the first season.

Had Volume 20 of AoT turn up yesterday
  • GarlVinland 28 Dec 2016 23:40:36 2,153 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just got back from seeing Your Name, I'm not normally a fan of Japanese melodrama or YA but oh my word, that hit me right in the feels. Like a sledgehammer.

My first instinct as the ending approached was, I hope this doesn't go the predictable route, but...yep, those are definitely tears I'm wiping from my face. So maybe it was actually perfect.
  • The-Bodybuilder 26 Jan 2017 16:17:46 16,923 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    AoT... doesn't get much better. From the manga anyway. All of the great bits have come and gone now. There might be one further bit later, before the entire thing just starts to fizzle into some sort of war commentary thing.

Will probably still watch it though, just so I can sing along to the theme tunes.

SIND SIE DAS ESSEN?! NEIN, WIR SIND DER JAEGER!
    /Guitar
    Yeah, I read bits of the manga and got bored. Went down the worst bits of FMA of politics and royal family bollocks, rather than focusing on the titans and the world outside.

Hoping the anime S2 doesn't follow its bath (doesn't look like it according to the trailer).

Rewatched S1 again, and it's just amazing.
    Didn't wanna give Kabaneri a chance, but I need more AoT in my life, so will give it a second chance.
  • FrostPan 26 Jan 2017 19:20:25 1,376 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kabaneri had a divided reception, but I thought it was awesome. Best not to compare it to AoT too much, as it seems people who didn't like it kept comparing Kabaneri to it. Not sure why. I thought it was different enough, and thought the show was a fun ride.

Looking forward to season 2 in 2018.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 26 Jan 2017 22:38:43 2,705 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Reminds me I have to finish Kabaneri as only watched about 4 episodes. Never watched AoT though as it doesn't inmediately appeal.
  • The-Bodybuilder 26 Jan 2017 22:44:17 16,923 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just finished Kabaneri.
    I can see why it's not liked. It's really really like AoT. Something tells me this was at some point the original story before AoT came about because you can really see so many of the same story elements and plot devices everywhere.

It does get into its own in the last few episodes though. But the final episode and finishing scene makes zero sense as a happy ending.
  • oldschoolsoviet 27 Jan 2017 12:35:52 6,249 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, Kabaneri is rumoured to have a sequel season in the pipeline.

For comments at the time, it was mostly complaints about constant asspulls - the zombies can suddenly form giant zombies, and now they can shoot giant laser beams , completely out of nowhere. There was one episode in particular where they started explaning a different variation, and then forgot all about it, and probable time constraints meant that these elements were never fully explained or justified - just because became the norm. There's a great background of world building that never came to the fore at all.

Yes, it was far too similar to AoT, but whether that's down to the same ideas from the same director, or a deliberate attempt to ape the sucess of AoT, who knows ?

I'm having too much fun with Youjo Senki to even worry about S2 AoT at the mo.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Jan 2017 18:37:33 16,923 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gonna have to look into Youjo Senki then.

Anyone seen Boku no Hero Academia yet?
  • Telepathic.Geometry 28 Jan 2017 01:53:22 12,416 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder Yeah, it's decent. I'm reading the manga, and it's reasonably solid. Not amazing, but good and watchable. You'll get to like a lot of the characters...
  • convz 5 Feb 2017 20:41:53 1,075 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just started Cowboy Bebop after this thread and it's kinda meh: https://reddit.com/r/television/comments/5s16yq/watch_why_you_should_watch_cowboy_bebop/

Does it get better? I didn't feel any sort of attachment to any character, nor have any real interest in the world or story. It gets great reviews so I feel like I should stick with it though.
  • GoatApocalypse 5 Feb 2017 20:52:45 3,093 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just started watching AoT S1 and loving it so far.

Was wondering whether Death Note is any good?
  • KRadiation 5 Feb 2017 23:23:43 1,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @convz
    I've tried 4 times to get into it but I feel exactly the same as you. I just don't care about the story or the characters.
    I have warmed to them slightly.. but nothing like I imagined I would after reading it's glowing praises.

Death note is fantastic. A few questionable plot lines.. okay 1 questionable one that I can't imagine many viewers agreed with. But the story had me gripped from start to finish. Highly recommend it.

Edited by KRadiation at 23:25:28 05-02-2017
  • Page

of 22 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.