The Anime Appreciation Thread

• Page

of 15 First / Last

Previous
  • The-Bodybuilder 15 Mar 2015 16:31:02 16,597 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not sure it fully counts as movies or TV series, nut either way, needs to be made.

After many years of trying, my friends have finally succeeded into get me into Anime.

Finished Attack on Titan a few weeks back and that was absolutely amazing. Got a few other hooked on that too. So after that, I trust a friend's recommendation to get into Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and that was one of the greatest joys I've ever experienced on TV. By the end I felt like what I should've felt if the TV show Lost had ended well.

Then of course we've got the new DBZ movie next month, with the recent reveal of Frieze's new form.
  • OmniaVincitAmor 15 Mar 2015 16:32:07 2,346 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Go and watch Death Note. Now.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 15 Mar 2015 17:13:24 6,461 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We have these threads in the anime group.

What genre of TV/film do you like Bodybuilder? If you've only recently gotten into anime, we could all reccommend good series based on your tastes.
  • Ror 15 Mar 2015 17:55:06 15,117 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For something a bit different, go on a Gurren Lagann/Abeno/FLCL/Excel Saga marathon.

Ok, maybe not a marathon, that would probably be a bit too much. All of them have ridiculous things happening for no other reason than the creators thought it'd be fun. Playing Sunset Overdrive recently gave me the same kind of feeling - outlandish things happening just because, "Hey, it'll be fun!"

I like fun.

Also, when discussions like this come up, I always give a shoutout to Claymore (because no one else seems to :( ). I wish we'd gotten more of that. Omnia's mention of Death Note is a good shout too. And if you fancy a bit of sci-fi/transhumanism, there's always Ghost in the Shell (two films, a two-season series and a follow-up film) and Ergo Proxy.

If you fancy something a bit supernatural, Hellsing's a decent shout, or High School of the Dead if you want something about zombies. I'm a bit mixed on the latter of those two - I love it for the most part, as it has superb atmosphere, but there's some really out of place fanservice in there. And then mecha anime? Evangelion and RahXephon.

I just started watching Sega Hard Girls. Don't judge me.
  • Deleted user 15 March 2015 18:03:04
    I'm really really enjoying Space Dandy at the moment. Lots of laughs and it's really well animated too. I'd also recommend Samurai Champloo and Paranoia Agent.

Also Freiza's new form is shite, it shows it in the trailer.
  • The-Bodybuilder 15 Mar 2015 22:02:30 16,597 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh did know there was an anime group.
    I'd say my taste isn't far off the AoT and Fullmetal world, I guess. Still defining my tastes.

And yes, Frieza's new form is stupid. I'm slightly worried about it.
  • oldschoolsoviet 15 Mar 2015 22:19:02 6,182 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was just about wade in saying "bet nobody's mentioned Space Dandy hmmmph", but thankfully, Truant has prevailed.

Problem with the group is that it's very quiet, and having to be signed in to browse is a pain. Good luck, and remember, finding the right series to enjoy is half the battle, but perseverance pays off.
  • Fonzie 15 Mar 2015 22:47:11 2,984 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One Piece. That's all you need.
  • LockeTribal 15 Mar 2015 22:57:13 4,664 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ror has a lot of good suggestions there. Claymore is a series I liked a lot as well but never gets talked about too much. Gurren Lagann is possibly my favourite anime series, absolutely love it.

I'd like to recommend Paranoia Agent, Outlaw Star and Noein, three very different series but each very good. Outlaw Star is probably the least good of the three but was one of the shows that got me into anime.
  • Deleted user 15 March 2015 23:02:58
    Can you even join groups anymore? that whole part of the forum seems to have been rendered barely functional by the redesign a few years ago.

Space Dandy is indeed good, so very strange though. Someone here said it was better than Cowboy Bebop and at of course that's madness. Talking of which, watch Cowboy Bebop, it's great.

Some solid recommendations from Ror1984 too.
  • Fonzie 15 Mar 2015 23:12:52 2,984 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heat Guy J is good as well.

Bleach, if you can get past some of the filler stuff.

Cowboy Bebop is great.
  • Ror 15 Mar 2015 23:15:01 15,117 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LockeTribal wrote:
    Ror has a lot of good suggestions there. Claymore is a series I liked a lot as well but never gets talked about too much. Gurren Lagann is possibly my favourite anime series, absolutely love it.

I'd like to recommend Paranoia Agent, Outlaw Star and Noein, three very different series but each very good. Outlaw Star is probably the least good of the three but was one of the shows that got me into anime.
    Noein! How did I forget that! I remember suggesting that to some friends a few years ago, and none of the buggers watched it. It's been a while, I think I might watch it again now.

Also, if anyone feels like topping themselves, do yourselves a favour and don't watch She, The Ultimate Weapon. Actually, just don't watch it at all.

Also also, Locke, did you ever check out the Claymore manga? I've been meaning to do that for a while to sate my need for more, but just haven't gotten around to it.

EDIT And I forgot Cowboy Bebop as well /o\ I loved the first three seasons of Bleach too, but I haven't watched anything since that. I heard it got a bit filler-y while the manga picked up.

Edited by Ror1984 at 23:22:05 15-03-2015
  • oldschoolsoviet 16 Mar 2015 00:13:43 6,182 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Space Dandy is indeed good, so very strange though. Someone here said it was better than Cowboy Bebop and at of course that's madness. Talking of which, watch Cowboy Bebop, it's great.
    That'd probably be me !

Bebop is classic, but it's a slow burn compared to the brash, loud, weird and humourous world of Dandy. It really shows Watanabe and Bones in a full on creative flow, with license to do whatever they wanted, and succeeding, both in homage and invention.

Hell, even I gave up after three episodes, before returning to it at the season's end. Only then did it click, and I'll treasure it forevermore.
  • KRadiation 16 Mar 2015 10:03:53 1,157 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Here's a link to the attack on titan manga
    http://v2012.mangapark.com/manga/attack-on-titan

Its pretty much identical to the tv series but where the series ends this has a little extra so its worth reading that episode again.

Can I throw Trigun in here too? Its animation is slightly dated now but its hilarious and the story is fantastic. Oh and the theme rocks.
  • Deleted user 16 March 2015 10:07:46
    +1 for Claymore... Brilliant show!
    Darker than Black and Black Lagoon are fairly entertaining.
  • Deleted user 16 March 2015 10:21:11
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    That'd probably be me !

Bebop is classic, but it's a slow burn compared to the brash, loud, weird and humourous world of Dandy. It really shows Watanabe and Bones in a full on creative flow, with license to do whatever they wanted, and succeeding, both in homage and invention.

Hell, even I gave up after three episodes, before returning to it at the season's end. Only then did it click, and I'll treasure it forevermore.
    Yeah there's certainly a lot of creative exploration there. Which is strange for a show that has so much money spent on animation. Both seasons are on netflix now btw.
  • Gartt 16 Mar 2015 12:53:23 1,922 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Berserk
  • LockeTribal 28 Mar 2015 17:48:51 4,664 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Ror Only seeing this now, sorry! But no I've never read the manga of Claymore. I'd say the main advantage it would have over the anime would be not having to listen to Raki's annoying little voice. God, i wanted to strangle that kid by the end of the series :D
  • richarddavies 28 Mar 2015 17:55:09 5,790 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some classics like ninja scroll, cyber city-oedo 808 and fist of the north star are worth a watch.

And death note is an essential.
  • Ror 28 Mar 2015 18:00:29 15,117 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @LockeTribal No worries! Haha, poor old Raki, he can't catch a break! I'd like to give it a read as I really want to know more after the series ends - that was an adaptation of about half of the manga IIRC, but with a made up ending. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually...
  • drhickman1983 28 Mar 2015 19:11:04 4,586 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not a massive fan but one of my friends has pointed me in the direction of some good, and varied anime shows.

Welcome to the NHK is quite funny, about a paranoid hikikomori (basically an unemployed shut-in) and the attempts of somebody to rehabilitate him into society.

Chobits is funny, kinda silly. Slightly pervy in the way that anime shows can be, but only slightly. About a boy who finds a broken persecom (female robotic "personal computer") and forms a bond.

Sora no Otoshimono is extremely funny. And quite pervy. The main character is described as pervert, but it's played for laughs mostly. A boys life is turned upside down when he finds a powerful sexy android thing. Guess the concept is fairly similar to Chobits, but it plays out differently.

Berserk is a bloody and violent fantasy, with an oppressive atmosphere and interesting themes. There's an old anime series and there has been a recent remake, but the old series is much better, the new miniseries wouldn't make sense if you weren't familiar with the manga, or the old series.

Serial Experiments Lain is hard to describe. Guess it could be described as cyber punk. It's very odd, quite surreal at times. Kind of feels weird in the same way that David Lynch can be weird.

And for a film I'd highly reccomend Perfect Blue. Another David Lynch-esque thing, about an actress who might be losing her mind, confusing reality with the roles she plays. Gripping.
  • Ror 28 Mar 2015 19:24:26 15,117 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Serial Experiments Lain is hard to describe. Guess it could be described as cyber punk. It's very odd, quite surreal at times. Kind of feels weird in the same way that David Lynch can be weird.
    And hard to find. I've had parts 1-3 of 4 sitting on my shelf for bloody years, and I've never been able to find the final part. Because of that, I've never watched it!
  • Fatiguez 28 Mar 2015 19:50:19 8,875 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anime is for kiddy fiddlers. Cowboy Bebop is pretty good though.
  • The-Bodybuilder 28 Mar 2015 23:42:46 16,597 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    KRadiation wrote:
    Here's a link to the attack on titan manga
    http://v2012.mangapark.com/manga/attack-on-titan

Its pretty much identical to the tv series but where the series ends this has a little extra so its worth reading that episode again.

Can I throw Trigun in here too? Its animation is slightly dated now but its hilarious and the story is fantastic. Oh and the theme rocks.
    Cheers for the link.
  • The-Bodybuilder 28 Mar 2015 23:43:23 16,597 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just finished Fullmetal: Brotherhood. Awesome stuff.
  • feistycheese 29 Mar 2015 00:09:08 100 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was gonna suggest some of the old school stuff that got me into anime over 15 years ago like Ninja Scrolls and Fist of the North Star, but someone already got those in.

I've only just got back into anime myself after not watching anything for many years (only thing I watched over the past 5 years was Blood+) I've only really got the Netflix selection, and so far have really enjoyed Attack on Titan, Full metal Alchemist and Tokyo Ghoul. I find I like the more action orientated stuff, I tried Death note and enjoyed it for a while but fuck me it got complicate halfway through and kind of lost me. Also enjoyed the first half of Sword Art Online but the second half was a bit meh. Just watching Fairy Tail now as my little girl is 10 months old now and is starting to understand things a bit better so I can no longer watch anything with to much violence and gore in it while shes around.
  • Kronos 1 Apr 2015 12:49:57 665 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just stumbled across a short cg/anime series called "Master of Torque" made by Yamaha, which is essentially an advert for their new MT range of motorbikes. However it seems a pretty cool thing for them to do.

Angel Cop is pretty good. Also much violence/gore and a pretty nasty torture scene, by the good guys! Try and find the uncut version if possible.

Cybercity Oedo 808 is one of my favourite animes. Make sure to see the musically rescored version as original music adds nothing to it. Was most disappointed when I bought this on DVD a while back to find the music I knew and loved wasn't there anymore.

I watched Ghost in the Shell on Netflix the other day, seems to have aged quite badly.

Edited by Kronos at 12:51:29 01-04-2015
  • drhickman1983 1 Apr 2015 13:01:48 4,586 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cyber City Oedo 808 is great, I have all three Manga Entertainment UK release on VHS somewhere. The re-score is better than the original music, I agree.

The dubbing is either amazing or awful. I'm inclined to think it's amazing though, as that's how I originally watched it. Hilariously sweary.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 13:03:49 01-04-2015
  • TheMayorOfJugs 1 Apr 2015 13:46:06 6,461 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think some of the art in Ghost in the Shell is still absolutely amazing. Some of the run-down area stills during the musical interval segments are beautiful.
  • The-Bodybuilder 2 Apr 2015 01:18:28 16,597 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think Akira was the one movie that put me off anime.
    It came with so much hype, and then a friend brought it in to school to watch. About 45mins of silence in the class was swiftly followed by one guy shouting out "what the fuck is this shit?" followed by universal boos.

But me off anime forever.
    Have watched Fist of the North. Really more interested in the newer stuff.

Heard there was a remake of Guyver made not that long ago. That was my first ever manga.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.