The best MAME games (IMO)

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • Dirtbox 2 Apr 2005 02:10:19 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I did a thread like this a looong time ago, but can't find it for the life of me. Most of you already know about my penchant for old skool Shoot-em-ups, so this list (which I posted OT in a recent thread) won't come as a big surprise... Consider it a vain attempt to get everyone to share my passion.

Sadly, you can only get the latest version of MAME32 from Fileplanet which is a pain in the arse, but once you have it, it'll tell you the shortened versions of the game's names on the directory field of the 'All Games' list. There are dozens of places to download the roms from, just google the shortened name and put.zip at the end.

Here are my picks:

19XX ****
    Forth in the 1942 series.

Batsugun ****
    Some glitches and missing it's great music, but still worth a pop.

Dogyuun ****
    Very similar to the above (infact it might be a sequal) and lacking sound completely. Competant and hard.

Battle Bakraid *****
    Similar to the above, but a lot more compatible, therefore easier to play.

Dangun Feveron *****
    The game that inspired Treasure to make Radiant Silvergun. and Kenta Cho to make Parsec47. Say no more.

Change Air Blade ****
    One of the few VS battle shmups, where you go head to head with a boss. Very original and very difficult.

Darius Gaiden ****
    The last in a long list of Darius titles. IMO one of the best side scrollers of all time.

DonPachi 1 and 2 *****
    Great games, both of which incorporate alternate fire depending on whether or not you tap the fire button or hold it down.

ESP Ra.De. *****
    Just incredible, this. You have to play it to believe it.

Gekirindan ****
    If you've ever played Super Aleste, you'll find this one familiar. It's got Toho written all over it.

Giga Wing/Pilot and Fighter *****
    One of my all time personal favs. Nuff said.

Gunbird 1 and 2 *****
    Hard as nails. Pick a sourcerer and kick some cartoony arse.

Gunlock *****
    Lets you lock onto enemies in the lower distance before they come and get you. Great stuff.

GunNail ****
    Bright, colourful and slightly simplistic. Fun though, if you can get past the treacherous first level.

Guwange *****
    Wander through villiages in feudal Japan massacering everying with a guardian spirit (you'll have to play it to understand). Awsome.

Parodius DA! *****
    This one was on the Snes yonks ago. It's Gradius, but not as you know it.

R-Type 1,2 and Leo *****
    Needs no introduction, really, but the 3rd in the series, Leo, isn't much like the previous games, you don't have a force ball anymore.

Strikers 1945 1, 2 and 3 *****
    Basically 1945 with vastly improved graphics. Each is better than the last.

Samurai/Sengoku Aces *****
    Much like Strikers, it follows the 1945 vein.

Space Bomber ****
    A very silly shmup which is absolte quality.

Vasara 1 and 2 *****
    Feudal Japan again, but this time in ships (!)

Metal Slug (all) *****
    The arcade versions are the ONLY versions.

All of that list are from about '93 upwards and ooze class and playability. As much as the old, old skool ones go, IMO they're best left as something to reminise about, they don't play that well and they're slow beyond belief. These will give you a guarenteed challenge and they all look great. Infact, if your reactions don't improve within one day of playing these, I'll give you your money back ;)

Edited by Dirtbox at 01:13:28 02-04-2005

Edited by Dirtbox at 13:49:35 02-04-2005

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• monkeyspasm 2 Apr 2005 12:21:22 2,774 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shock Troopers!

Best Commando-style Neo-Geo game EVER.

It's reminiscent of Metal Slug, too.

• Deleted user 2 April 2005 12:33:00
    Sweet list, and that link to P47 was pure gold mine stuff! Fileplanet is that crappy site that insists on having you registering with them in order to download right?

Didn't even know about Darius Gaiden, will hunt for it.
  • jmctavish 2 Apr 2005 12:48:53 809 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The arcade game of the movie "Aliens" is probably my favourite MAME game. Track and Field is not bad also if you enjoy old school button mashing.
  • Dirtbox 2 Apr 2005 14:30:31 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I won't link directly to any sites as they're not strictly 100%, but heres a hint on how to go about finding them on google.

• Retroid Moderator 2 Apr 2005 14:50:31 44,503 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JC2 wrote:
    MAME has fucked up my computer.
    Nope. Some arse fucked up your computer.

Best place for MAME stuff is usually Usenet, but failing that always remember the ROMs themselves should be in ZIPs, nothing else, and the main MAME proggie can be downloaded here.
  • Khanivor 2 Apr 2005 15:10:27 40,402 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Galaga.
  • Retroid Moderator 2 Apr 2005 15:21:04 44,503 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Galaga.
    Good taste that man!

Asteroids (Deluxe)
    Bubble Bobble
    Commando
    Galaxian
    Green Beret
    Pacman
    R-Type
    Tempest

JC2: Look for the options in MAME to point it towards the correct ROM folder. Once it's done that tell it to scan for available games. You should get something then *

* Mind you, it's been a while since I pissed about with MAME so they may have changed some of that
  • Dirtbox 2 Apr 2005 17:22:04 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "Audit all games" will make it see the rom. 5 gives you a credit, 1 stars the game. Hit tab to change any of that in the options.

To get the games .zip name, read my first post in this thread.

• Dirtbox 2 Apr 2005 18:35:09 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Romnation's fine, yeah.

• Dirtbox 2 Apr 2005 18:49:48 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nah, you don't have to click em,. it's just so they get some money for advertising. They can't corrupt downloads because you don't click a link.

What roms aren't working? All you should need to do is click audit after putting them in the rom folder.

• Dirtbox 2 Apr 2005 19:54:17 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Audit games - in the file menu.

Metal Slug needs neogeo.zip to work. What are the names of the incorrectly names files?

• Dirtbox 2 Apr 2005 20:15:15 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can't really vouch much for websites really, although I haven't had many problems. There are alternatives to geting the complete set.

• monkeyspasm 3 Apr 2005 15:37:52 2,774 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Retroid - agree completely with your list - top stuff!

Galaxian is brilliant. I thought I was good at it with scores approaching 20000 - then I read in Retro Gamer (which no fecking newsagents near me seem to stock anymore) about Gary Whelan who's just broken the (20+ years old) world record with a score of 399,290!

Blimey.

And I'll say it again - just in case no-one heard.

SHOCK TROOPERS!

And perhaps some of you would consider resurrecting my MAME Hiscore thread which died a painful ignored death...?
  • Dirtbox 3 Apr 2005 17:05:57 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Galaxian is one of my out and out all time favs, but everyone knows it, so I didn't give it a mention, my top score is 51,760... I start getting bored and taking silly risks after a while. I can't find your thread, sorry spasm.

Shock Troopers doesn't fully work on MAME (or my one doesn't, But Shock Troopers 2 works fine. The thing that I can't wait for is when Radiant Silvergun (rsgun.zip) finally becomes compatible when MAME reaches version 1.0 (should be less than a year from now I hope).

• monkeyspasm 3 Apr 2005 17:22:50 2,774 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Galaxian is one of my out and out all time favs, but everyone knows it, so I didn't give it a mention, my top score is 51,760... I start getting bored and taking silly risks after a while. I can't find your thread, sorry spasm.

Shock Troopers doesn't fully work on MAME (or my one doesn't, But Shock Troopers 2 works fine. The thing that I can't wait for is when Radiant Silvergun (rsgun.zip) finally becomes compatible when MAME reaches version 1.0 (should be less than a year from now I hope).

Shock Troopers works fine on mine - not sure which version of MAME I'm running (I'm not at home). That's a shame as (IMO) the first is far better than the second.

I've got 4782 MAME ROMs. Running in a nice big 1987 Narc cabinet. In my kitchen. \o/

Nice Galaxian score BTW - thought I was good but clearly I 'suck' (to coin an Americanism)!
  • Dirtbox 3 Apr 2005 17:54:44 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You bastard! What I'd give for a decent cabinet!

I've been tempted to retrieve a Galaga shell that's been sat, rotting ouside the back of my old local under a bit of tarpalin for a number of years. They want 50 for it though because some idiot told them it was worth good money and they obviously looked it up (they had their sales pitch ready incase someone asked). Bastards! The stick and buttons are shot though and there are no innards.

I think I'll make do for the time being.

I'm still trying to hunt down a decent arcade stick, so if you have any advice :)

• monkeyspasm 3 Apr 2005 18:11:38 2,774 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The one that springs to mind is the X-Arcade. Looks good but I've never tried one.

The cab is my pride and joy - it was relatively cheap at 360 off ebay. It's in great condition, came with a nice PC inside, and an ACT LAbs light gun too - and all the ROMs preloaded and running on Mamewah. Even got 2 class chrome barstools bundled with it! I've got it set up as a jukebox as well! \o/

It was a real labour of love for the guy who sold it - even down to small details like pushing the coin slot to add credits...!

I love mine and it gets played almost non-stop.
  • Dirtbox 3 Apr 2005 18:35:01 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jealousy was never big with me, but right now I hate you ;)

I tried one of those X-Arcade sticks at a lan where I won a SF2X+etc tournament. They're very nice, but the button placement isn't particularly well thought out and you get cramp after about an hour, also the duel stick version has the players far too close to each other.

I was hoping to get a hold of something a bit more 'cadey. i'm thinking about getting a oucple of these arcade grade sticks and some buttons and building an MDF base for them, but it's all far too much hassle for lazy me.

• monkeyspasm 3 Apr 2005 18:41:36 2,774 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, I panicked a couple of weeks ago - the screen went white when XP loaded up.

I had no driver disks, and no backup. Eeep. And only a basic knowledge of how the I-PAC control thingummy worked.

Cue me in a seriously bad mood...

...Until 3 days later when I realised the lightgun was set to 'calibrate'!

Phew.

That was Thursday. I was gonna format the hard drive on Saturday...!

Lucky escape or what? I can't remember ever feeling so relieved.
  • Dirtbox 4 Apr 2005 01:05:54 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I still hate you though.

;D

• pjmaybe 5 Apr 2005 09:15:44 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    I've had mame installed for a while (and steem, a md and snes emu for that) but whats stopping me playing much is the lack of a decent (and affordable!) joypad or joystick. Anyone got any recommendations?

Logitech do a very nice dualshock-esque pad for 17 notes (from Novatech)

Peej
  • Deleted user 5 April 2005 09:34:19
    In MAME I use a cheap smartjoy, with either the HORI gamecube pad or Sega's USB Sega Saturn joypad.. you can get the smartjoy from lik-sang.

These are great alternatives for the more expensive setups..

Also, for Amiga emulation I use the Competition Pro USB, which comes highly recommended.

Edited by kuran at 08:34:56 05-04-2005
  • jaxon58 5 Apr 2005 09:55:50 2,420 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This week, I have been mostly playing...

Raiden.
  • monkeyspasm 8 Apr 2005 15:07:43 2,774 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox - have you played Cyvern?

If you haven't, give it a go; i'm sure it'll end up on your list!

Played DoDonpachi last night, is that Donpachi 2? It was released in 98 I think. Incredible game.

/hugs cabinet

;-)

• monkeyspasm 8 Apr 2005 15:10:19 2,774 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    And while I'm at it, just how many versions of Street Fighter (I,II,III, Alpha, EX, Zero varients) are there available for Mame? Must be somewhere over 20!!!

The versions of Street Fighter I could identify are as follows:

Alpha
    Alpha 2
    Alpha 3
    Alpha: Warriors Dream
    Ex
    Ex Plus
    Ex 2
    Ex 2 Plus
    II The world warrior
    II Champion edition
    II hyper fighting
    II turbo hyper fighting
    III New generation
    III 2nd impact- giant attack
    III 3rd Strike- fight for the future
    Zero
    Zero 2
    Zero 2 Alpha
    Zero 3

Edited by Bill Door at 10:13:07 07-04-2005

/faints

Does 3rd Strike work on MAME?

If so I'm a happy man!
  • monkeyspasm 9 Apr 2005 11:15:02 2,774 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can I also add Dragon Blaze to the list.

Released by Psikyo in 2000 - it's pure quality shoot 'em up action.

Visuals are amazing, too.

• jaxon58 13 Jun 2005 12:44:43 2,420 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not sure if any of you already know about this but I've only just found it.

It alows you to play MAME and other emulators over the internet with others. Haven't tried it yet, has anyone else? Sounds cool!

• Captain-Fetid 13 Jun 2005 13:05:03 659 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    If getting MAME32 is too much of a hassle, go for EasyMAME. In fact, sod MAME32 - Easymame's far better.
  • itamae 13 Jun 2005 13:09:59 9,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ooh, did you see the ads on the right? This has to be the best arcade stick EVAH! \o/
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous