of 15 First / Last

• elstoof 12 Feb 2017 14:24:28 18,185 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The kareoke is much better in this
  • Navi 13 Feb 2017 11:52:58 171 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Chapter 6, I've got to the point where...

Steven Spielberg and a Chicken are helping run my real estate company!

Game of the year based on that alone.
  • spleendonkey 13 Feb 2017 12:38:34 251 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm up to chapter 6 and loving it but have a few questions as the game explains so little sometimes:

1/ How do you unlock the "greyed out" combat abilities? in the outer wheel?
    2/ Do some mini games (like slot car racing) provide you with loads of bonus material for the story and/or upgrades?
    3/ I've just unlocked the real estate management - does this move the story along or is it just a way to make money?
  • Rivuzu 13 Feb 2017 12:41:59 16,077 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1 and 3 are linked. You unlock the other wheels by doing the real estate/club running minigames. Stop everything now and do them.
  • hypoBla5t 13 Feb 2017 13:04:07 2,231 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Real Estate is amazing and you'll need the cash.

Finished my playthrough yesterday, solid 50 hours of ridiculous amazingness, went straight back into premium adventure to finish off a few bits and bobs. GOTY so far for me.
  • chrisp 13 Feb 2017 13:22:58 998 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    At 84 hours and around 68% completion, I think I'm done.

The outstanding sub-stories are: the final one for each character, the final platinum hostess one, the final pocket racing one, and a handful of telephone dating ones for Kiryu. I may return at some point to finish these off but at the moment I feel I'm done.

I cannot wait for Kiwami to continue the story!
  • Psiloc 13 Feb 2017 13:39:08 3,963 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well fuck, this game has really gone and got its hooks into me. God damn it's hard to put down. Leave it to the Japanese to get the tone absolutely right and blend serious crime drama with overt silliness in a way that completely works.

It really feels like Japan is having a mini renaissance lately ^.^

Unlocked real estate the other day. Found it pretty bewildering. It seemed like it jumped straight from introducing it to switching to Majima, am I right in thinking when I get back to Kiryu I want to go straight back to the office and get stuck in?
  • Rivuzu 13 Feb 2017 13:40:28 16,077 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do that.

Though I preferred Majima's hostess game. It just went by quicker.
  • spleendonkey 13 Feb 2017 14:47:26 251 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok noted on the real estate! I'm about 74% complete of the first area - and annoyingly enjoying it and ignoring the actual story!

How do you "unlock" the other areas? Via story or completing the first area?

So what other games should I really focus on story wise? Sounds like the telephone one and the racing? I enjoy bowling so maybe that one...the cat fighting one makes me feel really awkward...is there storylines attached to that?

Edit to add - not "story" wise, I mean for the best sub stories....

Edited by spleendonkey at 14:47:54 13-02-2017
  • chrisp 13 Feb 2017 15:03:18 998 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The telephone dating (Kiryu), pocket racing (Kiryu) and disco dancing (both) all have a handful of sub-stories attached to them.

No sub-stories attached to the cat fighting as such although it will make an appearance as part of the real estate sub-game.

You will unlock the other areas in the real estate game by completing the first area, rather than by progressing in the main storyline.
  • spleendonkey 14 Feb 2017 13:15:50 251 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For what essentially has an annual release schedule like an EA game, the story is ridiculously well written for this game. I'm only up to chapter 7 but I am really impressed by the interconnected narrative, and the fact they seem to have written actual themes into the story. It's playing out almost like a 80s kitsch version of Chinatown in a way.

It makes the jumps into humour feel a bit weird sometimes, but they are almost always hilarious.

Since writing is uniformly the most atrocious part of games, it's really refreshing to see something so well paced.
  • 8bitMofo 14 Feb 2017 13:57:58 602 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    Do that.

Though I preferred Majima's hostess game. It just went by quicker.
    I'm in love with Yuki, and I'm not even ashamed about it.
  • geeza2020 17 Feb 2017 23:26:40 2,423 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm only a few hours into this, but it feels like GOTY material already. So much stuff to do, but none of it feels like crappy filler stuff that you'd find in a Ubisoft game. Plus the characters feel so much more relateable than so many western AAA games. I'm having loads of fun so far. My only complaint would be that the combat, while satisfying, can feel a bit button mashy, but hopefully that improves as you unlock more abilities.
  • Mola_Ram 19 Feb 2017 02:14:43 15,686 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, this game is bonkers, but I love it ever so much.

I've just figured out how to consistently win at bowling, but some of the mini games are beyond me at the moment. The game's got me half interested in learning how to play mahjong ffs.
  • spleendonkey 22 Feb 2017 15:27:58 251 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Er...so I just finished the game.

What a fucking ending. Actually left me completely exhilarated (the last two hours) and tearful (the last two scenes). It's the kind of ending that could actually be in an award winning film. Fucking hell.

If a story and a game like that can be made on a creaky engine, I don't understand why game stories are in such complete dire straits.

If I have one tiny complaint about the game, it's about some of the side activities being too hard, but primarily the real estate management game being a bit empty and meaningless. The cabaret game though...I could honestly play that if it was turned into a whole game of it's own.

I actually think this game will be hard to top this year. And the Yakuza remake is day one for me (although I worry the story won't be as good as this one since it's an older game).

Edit to add, what I find interesting about this game by the end of it is that it's actually Majima's story, not Kiryu's. Both have satisfying endings, but the Majima part really does completely sucker punch you out of nowhere and becomes the main driver of the story.

Edited by spleendonkey at 15:30:08 22-02-2017
  • Ever 23 Feb 2017 02:13:39 14 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wow can't believe I missed this series! It's amazing!
    At first I thought is this it but then I can't stop! I don't want it to end. I'm avoiding the story just to do other stuff!
    Anyway it's great and can't understand why it isn't on GTA levels.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Feb 2017 10:25:25 15,686 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is one of the funniest games I've played in ages. I crack up whenever that stupid heart-warming organ music starts playing.
  • Rivuzu 24 Feb 2017 21:59:39 16,077 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished the final act.

Fantastic game. Bring on Kiwami. May this series never end.
  • 8bitMofo 24 Feb 2017 22:29:51 602 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alot of us finishing up the story this weekend it seems.
    Just shy of 85hrs. What a romp!
  • chrisp 1 Mar 2017 18:29:16 998 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I finished this a little while ago with about 84 hours on the clock and around 68% completion. Cannot wait for Kiwami. If it weren't for all the other games I have to play - and BoTW being out very soon - I'd be having Yakuza withdrawal symptoms.

Edit: Forgotten I'd already basically posted this at the time! Still, no harm in repeating the fact that I absolutely loved this game and cannot wait for Kiwami.

Edited by chrisp at 18:31:11 01-03-2017
  • Psiloc 1 Mar 2017 23:44:56 3,963 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I finished it over the weekend too. It was great, and a complete surprise. Day one on the remake.
  • geeza2020 15 Mar 2017 21:29:36 2,423 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On the final mission on the ship. There's just too many guys with guns. It makes the combat a real chore and I just cant be arsed with it. Its been a great game up to this point, but I think I'm going to have to leave it there. I recently gave up on shovel knight at the final chapter because there's a huge difficulty spike where the game makes you do a boss rush, and it looks like the same is going to happen here. Off to youtube to watch the ending I go!
  • RichieTenenbaum 15 Mar 2017 21:34:32 2,650 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is this cheap yet ?
  • Navi 15 Mar 2017 22:03:40 171 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Doesn't look like it. Rumours were that Sega only did a small print run so there aren't that many copies around.

As to the final mission, the gun guys can be highly annoying. All I can recommend is using the side of the boat as cover and taking time to approach them, that's what I did. Worth persevering with though, the end fight is one of the best in the series.
  • Gunzberg 16 Mar 2017 00:35:26 2,273 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    Is this cheap yet ?
    This, been meaning to pick it up after playing the last couple of Yakuza titles, but there are none on ebay, amazon et al have them at fairly high prices.

Might check back in a few months
  • oldschoolsoviet 17 Mar 2017 16:09:06 6,208 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr Shakedown ? Easy-peasy with a few health items.

Ogita the disco dancer ? Toughest opponent yet.

I'm not exactly suited to rythym-action, and it's annoying me given my sub-story OCD. Damn you Ogita !
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 17 Mar 2017 16:20:05 2,508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am not good at disco dancing either. Karaoke is easy but I don't gel with the disco at all...
  • oldschoolsoviet 18 Mar 2017 19:44:08 6,208 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Found cheat mode against the second Mr Shakedown - have a stun gun, use the Rush dodge move to build up heat, and heat mode him to death.

Didn't stand a chance. As for Majima's entrance - just wow. Wondering what's up with the thoughtful look between him and the old cart-pulling fella though.
  • Psiloc 18 Mar 2017 19:49:41 3,963 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not left unexplained, that's all I'll say.

Good luck waiting for this to get cheap by the way. Strikes me as the sort of game you'll be lucky to pay RRP for as time goes on.
  • Cath4rsis 18 Mar 2017 19:54:53 101 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Found cheat mode against the second Mr Shakedown - have a stun gun, use the Rush dodge move to build up heat, and heat mode him to death.

Didn't stand a chance. As for Majima's entrance - just wow. Wondering what's up with the thoughtful look between him and the old cart-pulling fella though.

Zap Gun >
  • Page

of 15 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.