The Official Splinter Cell Chaos Theory thread

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • BravoGolf Moderator 29 Mar 2005 12:51:37 12,754 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is a pre-emptive thread, I've checked, there are no other 'official' threads, so the claim is mine, all mine.

So...good game? It's out soon and I sincerely look forward to it, even it is more of the same (I never played the second one). I especially lack the co-op mode, even if it is somewhat lacking.

Gamespot, yeah I know Gamespot, wrote a rather good review on it here (8.6 if you can't be bothered clicking).

There are some especially funny sketches from that talented chappie over at Penny Arcade here.
  • Tiger_Walts 29 Mar 2005 12:55:15 16,632 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The demo was good although I couldn't figure out how to end up hanging from the Lighthouse so I could pull the blokey off.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• UncleLou Moderator 29 Mar 2005 12:56:08 35,858 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was actually surprised that the reviews (some of them) said it's just more of the same (giving it very high scores nonetheless), when I found the demo better in every respect than the previous games.

Thought I wouldn't bother with it after Pandora Tomorrow, but I preordered it after I played the demo. Very good AI, great graphics, good level design - I hope the rest of the game is just as good.
  • pjmaybe 29 Mar 2005 12:56:10 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    The demo was good although I couldn't figure out how to end up hanging from the Lighthouse so I could pull the blokey off.

You have to buy him a drink first before diving in with that ;)

I'm tempted, the multiplayer bit should be superb at least...though stealth turns me off quicker than Bella Emberg in a thong...

Peej
  • Deleted user 29 March 2005 13:00:24
    Aha!!

Just this morning I was wondering if any new games were coming out to show off my shiny new screen/g.card combo...and this shall be that game. Excellent.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 29 Mar 2005 13:02:12 12,754 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:

I'm tempted, the multiplayer bit should be superb at least...though stealth turns me off quicker than Bella Emberg in a thong...

Peej

Hehe :-D

Stealth can get a bit repetitive after a while. When I played the PC version (of the first game), I had the luxury of quick save and typing /ammo (or health, as the case may be) in the console :-P

The xbox version has quick save too, which is great, imo, as I could not be bothered to start an entire sequence again.
  • GingerMagician 29 Mar 2005 13:02:18 3,012 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Very much looking forward to getting stuck into the Live aspect again - look out for a lobby thread once the game's on the shelves.

Co-op should be fun, but Spys vs Mercs is where it's at - especially as some of the balancing tweaks they've put in since Pandora Tomorrow should improve the experience.

Plus perilikid, templar, chin et al shouldn't have too much of an advantage from better map knowledge this time round . . . . . ; )
  • UncleLou Moderator 29 Mar 2005 13:06:43 35,858 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    It's really not for me mate. I am *very* bored with the whole stealth thing, playing Resident Evil 4 this past week has hammered that home. I need action!

Having said that, I'm loving Metal Gear Solid 3, but you can play that differently to the other two in that you can be much more aggressive. Also, there's plenty of action in there too. That's how I like to play :)

Soooo, in short? I won't be buying SC3 I'm afraid, another generic sequel won't cut it after the advances made by both MGS3 and RE4!

/frowns
  • IronGiant 29 Mar 2005 13:09:48 4,620 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Giving this one a miss thanks, really cannot stand stealth games now, sick of em i tells ya!

Must be some backhanders going on in the games mags as with most high profile titles i would imagine, Gamespot gave it 8.6 which i can believe is about right yet the so called 'Official' XBox mags are wetting themselves over it calling it best game ever etc yawn.
  • ssuellid 29 Mar 2005 13:11:36 19,141 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    From reading some of the reviews this does seem to give you the option to play steathy or balls out blasting for most of the game. Even with PT you could get away with storming in most of the time and not having to be that stealthy.
  • Whizzo 29 Mar 2005 13:12:06 43,372 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you want a stealth game pick up Silent Hunter III, a man hiding in the shadows is nothing to being in command of a U-Boat hiding in the shallows off Hartlepool with a pair of destroyers trying to find you... ;-)

This space left intentionally blank.

• pjmaybe 29 Mar 2005 13:22:35 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    a man hiding in the shadows is nothing to being in command of a U-Boat hiding in the shallows off Hartlepool with a pair of destroyers trying to find you... ;-)

Not to mention avoiding the many brown trout floating silently in that particular bit of coastline ;)

Peej
  • espadachin 29 Mar 2005 13:32:43 2,210 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yeah i think im gonna get this, liked the first one up to a point, didnt really get on with the second one, but enjoyed the demo for the new one, plus im interested in the co-op mode too!
  • Kotano 29 Mar 2005 13:37:37 63 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Feel the same way Espad. Second game was too much of 'more of the same' - got a little tedious and the multiplayer didn't do it for me either.
    Co op on new game could be a winner...
  • BravoGolf Moderator 29 Mar 2005 15:06:27 12,754 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kotano wrote:
    Feel the same way Espad. Second game was too much of 'more of the same' - got a little tedious and the multiplayer didn't do it for me either.

Seemingly, co-op on this is not as great, still fun mind, but not as great.

Cp-op games are definitely, for me at least, a selling point. Take, for example, TimeSplitters 2 or Doom 3, I normally wouldn't bother with it. but co-op on these two fine specimens should be excellent fun.

Halo 2, another prime example, dare I say :-D
  • Phil_- 29 Mar 2005 15:10:07 63 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Neato co-op trailer here showing game engine footage from one of the co-op levels.

Edited by Phil_- at 14:10:22 29-03-2005
  • Kotano 29 Mar 2005 15:31:02 63 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have to say that looks vert tasty indeed. As long as the AI and difficulty reflects the fact there are two of you, it should be good.
  • HarryB 29 Mar 2005 18:36:07 6,343 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    this is much much better than splinter cell 1 and 2. Forgets the annoying alarm systems etc and lets you do what you want..... so you can shoot the shit out of everyone but they will start wearing more gear like helmets etc for protection.. played it all of yesterday and it really is fantastic

this is weird since i got bored of both sc 1 and 2 because it was too repetitive and annoying at times..... give it a try since it actually looks as good on the xbox as it did on my 3ghz 1gb ram n radeon 9800xt pc....
    /appluads
  • morriss 29 Mar 2005 18:49:47 71,287 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, I'm lovin' it so far...but haven't once hung upside down and broken someone's neck and I'm almost finished with it!!! Great fun though. The fact that you can save anywhere now really enhances the play.
  • timo180 29 Mar 2005 19:07:25 2,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've got a bit of a question; Which version should i get? PS2 or GameCube? baring in mind that i am not able to play online multiplyer.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 31 Mar 2005 02:04:09 8,934 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This game is a definite must-have for me...the first two I found myself easily immersed and expect this one to be a lot better (if the reviews are anything to go off of).

Co-op XBL sounds fucking fun.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 31 Mar 2005 02:05:06 8,934 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Timo: probably the GameCube will have the better version, but make sure you do some more research on it.
  • GTBurns 31 Mar 2005 09:28:46 1,772 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    This game is a definite must-have for me...the first two I found myself easily immersed and expect this one to be a lot better (if the reviews are anything to go off of).

Co-op XBL sounds fucking fun.

*A-hem* Ok, Mr. Wolfcastle - your colonic is at 1500 hours.

Sorry, have taken to attacking BGiE pre-emptively now, it just makes things easier, you know. Still, he might actually have something interesting to say about this as I know from some of his less bizarre posting that he's a fan of Sam Fisher's stealthy wiles.

Thought I'd bump this in lieu of the fact that some of you basts landed early copies and I'll probably saunter in to Game tomorrow for my copy.

Early feedback anyone? Will Peej finally succumb to Bella Emberg's thong? And, yet, more questions than answers no doubt.

Edited by GTBurns at 08:29:32 31-03-2005
  • BravoGolf Moderator 31 Mar 2005 10:42:33 12,754 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Timo: probably the GameCube will have the better version, but make sure you do some more research on it.

IGN Insider did an article comparing all three versions and concluded that the Xbox was the best :-P
  • MikeD 31 Mar 2005 11:02:14 10,063 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got veyr bored after a few levels of the first splinter cell and it's lineair stealth levels. I much prefer games with (the illusion of) freedom like the thief series and Hitman. I heard this one might be a bit less lineair, but I don't know...

Also still incredibly annoyed by their Nvidia ass-lickery. Fucking over 50% of all pc gamers, assholes!
  • GrayFox 31 Mar 2005 13:30:06 1,698 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:

IGN Insider did an article comparing all three versions and concluded that the Xbox was the best :-P
    Which is meaningles since he asked about eighter PS2 or GC versions.

I agree with Bill, GC should have a bit better gfx and since you don't care about online multiplayer, go for it. Only thing left is if you prefer Dual Shock or GC pad for play.
  • tiddles 31 Mar 2005 13:39:04 3,555 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kotano wrote:

Pandora Tomorrow was something of a cash-in, with the single player being developed by a completely separate team in China (with the multiplayer developed separately yet again in France).

Chaos Theory is really the true sequel to the original Splinter Cell, being developed by the original Canadian team who started work on it after the first game was done. So it should be rather good :)
  • GingerMagician 31 Mar 2005 13:46:07 3,012 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    tiddles wrote:
    Pandora Tomorrow was something of a cash-in, with the single player being developed by a completely separate team in China (with the multiplayer developed separately yet again in France).
    Wasn't the original and the multiplayer element of PT developed in Montreal?
  • GTBurns 31 Mar 2005 13:49:31 1,772 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When you're in line waiting to buy a movie ticket, make moves on her like you would in the privacy of an apartment-- act as if you didn't know other people were around. I don't mean anything over the top, obviously, but the type of making out and body language that says "i want you right here, right now." Of course don't overdo it-- the point is just to act like you didnt know other people were around. She'll get self-conscious and become resistant, at which point you'll act as if you don't care that she feels insecure. This CHALLENGE and TENSION will make her incredibly attracted to you.

Believe me, I am the MASTER at getting girls to be attracted to me. A absolute professional. I could seduce each and every one of your mothers-- whether or not I would want to is a different story.

GrayFox wrote:
    I agree with Bill ...

Really??? ;)
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous