Previous
  • Dirtbox 29 Mar 2005 00:23:01 78,152 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    NOTE:
    Updated version of this thread here
    If you're looking for anti virus info, click here

The (NOW VERY OLD AND OUT OF DATE) Guide

Okay, these are my pick of the crop to make your vanilla Windows installed PC into a lean, mean, gaming/browsing/working/media machine. A lot of software choice is down to the personal preference of the individual concerned, but I'll do my best here to tell you what is best for which job as impartially as I can.

Forgive me if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs :)

Virus Checkers

SEE THE NOTE ABOVE

Firewalls

As with AV, there is many to choose from but for those of you with XP and SP2 installed you don't really need anything past the firewall which was included in the service pack. It has everything required from individual program blocking to port control. If you still don't trust it (and you wouldn't be blamed if you didn't) then there are a few good ones to consider:

Sygate Personal is a great firewall with information as to what is accessing the net and when, logs allow you to trace hack attempts to the source and you can stop any particular program from contacting the network as and when you wish. The only downside is that it's a little heavy on the CPU sometimes. The main upside being that it's free.

Private Firewall is about as feature rich as you could wish for a software firewall, but costs some money. It has the best performance of the lot.

Zonealarm Pro 5 yes, I know I slated it as the "AOL of firewalls" but the pro version blocks ads and dodgy emails as well as being an able enough wall. Other than that, it gives you the same control the other two give over your programs and allows you to block and unblock stuff as much as you like.

Browsers

Bit of a minefield, this one, as most people have already found their EG-viewer of choice and are dipping towards fanboi status for their personal fav. It's always good to have a play with the competition though, and here are your alternatives. They're all tabbed, which is an absolute must now.

Avant uses IE as it's engine, which makes a great deal of sense as you don't get annoying problems viewing sites with ActiveX components, Java or embedded media players. It's also the most compatible browser here, but suffers from the same security problems that hamper IE. It's fairly customisable with skins available to download.

Firefox is the current fav for most, it has a mountain of third party support with plugins for every occasion. It does suffer from one problem, which is it takes the longest of these browsers to start up, which can be annoying. Overall the most customisable and highly supported browser there currently is. Gbrowser, Googles forthcoming effort is going to be based on it.

Opera works very much the same as both the above with the fairly major difference of it having an email client. It's fairly customisable with skins and bar/button placement and a plus point over both Firefox and Avant is that it aggressively caches previous web pages instead of resorting to re-contacting the site.

P2P Clients

P2P clients are pretty varied and your choice should be based on the network you want to be a part of so it's only fair if I comment on that aspect as well. Where you can, I always recommend getting the "Lite" version of the client involved as the proper client will inevitably install spyware programs such as Cydoor, Gator, Lop.com and Xupiter onto your computer. Which is bad. I'm only going to cover BT for the mo as there isn't much in the way of P2P networks with a legal side to them. Kazaa is riddled with virii as is iMesh. eDonkey 2000 is too slow to even count as a viable option and Exeem is just plain buggy.

Bittorrent

Currently the toast of the town, there are two major players for this network. That's not to say that the other clients such as Mainline (the original) or Shadow's Bittornado aren't good, but they lack the functionality offered buy my picks. The only problem with this network is that the shared files have a short life span and is based on the goodwill of others. Download speeds are generally fast and the software you receive will not be riddled with virii. Here's an FAQ to cover the basics and here's a link to EG's Eurofiles to get you started.

Azureus is one of the better known clients, using Java it allows you a high degree of control over your downloads/uploads while maintaining a good download/upload speed. Its major pitfall is that by using Java, it's a real pig; it also means you need Java installed. High memory usage would normally make me think twice but the option to cache downloaded bits to memory before writing to disk, thus reducing disk activity and in the long term saving your drive is great. The only other client that does that is ~

BitComet is quite a bit less friendly looking that the frog motifed Azureus, but it offers all the same options and level of control, drive caching included with the added bonus that it uses a far less cumbersome engine written with C++. The upside of this is that it won't hog the best part of 80mb and require any external programs to run. Perfect you might think. Well, it's not quite as fast as Azureus, nor as pretty.

Media Players

These come in two flavours, music and movie. So...

Movie Players

A quick word about codec packs. Unless you really need to, don't. They can cause odd problems with your system; a little slowdown here, a little pause there. They're generally not good for the wellbeing of your PC, so just download and install the codec you need when you need it. If you aren't sure what codec a file needs then use G-Spot to find out which one.

BSPlayer is one of the best around for simply playing movies and being unobtrusive. Firstly it has two windows, one for controls and another which is simply the viewing window with a tiny border which can be set to stay on top while you're browsing or working. Fully customisable and skinnable (although some of the default skins are plain ugly) you can tailor it to work exactly how you want it to. It has native support for almost everything. And for the things it doesn't support there's...

Media Player Classic which is a classic. It's also the most compatible player around with codecs available for download which allow you to dispense with the hateful RealPlayer and Quicktime programs almost completely (sadly, they both still need to be installed). Other than that, it's pure function, no frills whatsoever.

VLC is a very simple looking player with more functionality than any of them. Most of the popular codecs are within the program so there's no need to install them directly to your computer. It also plays DVD's and supports network streaming and serving, neither of which I've ever used, but it's definitely a must-have player.

Music Players

Now there are just too many to go through to really recommend anything other than personal preferences. So I'll just recommend the two at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Foobar2000 is a neat little player that natively supports most flavours of music file. It's small, simple and very easy to use.

WinAmp The big one. You can't really not mention it for the sheer volume of third party support it's recieved. It's still the most complete music (and video if you wish) player on the web and although it has it's critics, it's downfalls can never outweigh the high points. From skins and visualisations to random plugins it reigns head and shoulders above all others. The pro version allows you to rip CDs to MP3.

System tools, tweakers and widgets

The first thing about programs that tweak is you have to have some savvy as to what you're getting into beforehand. So be mindful and don't go breaking nuffink. K? I'll start with a defragger though and get to the nitty gritty stuff later.

Defragger

PerfectDisk Workstation is the only one out there that really gets the job done. It uses a smart defrag method that leaves the default MS one in the dirt by grouping the files within each program together rather than jumbling them all over your drive in the order each file was last accessed. It's no faster than the default, but it's prettier. And that counts for a lot. Another nice thing it does is turn off the services that run it when it's finished doing it's job so it doesn't swipe system resources when they aren't needed.

Intel Application Accelerator as the name suggests is only for Intel processors, which is a real shame as this is one serious piece of programming which does precisely what it the . And completely free too.

Windows Customisation

There are many ways that you can customise the look and feel of your PC, whether it's for productivity or fun, some ways are more effective than others. I'll cover the best and most popular and try to illustrate why some aren't as good as others. I'm a bit of a don at customisation, so expect this to be a lengthy section.

WindowBlinds works on both 2K and XP and is the most popular desktop enhancement tool with over 10 million users. It changes the way Windows looks and feels with alpha blended skins which add various extra functions depending on the one you choose. Some allow you to have transparent windows, let you to minimise windows or apps to the system tray, roll windows up, imbed media player controls, etc. But they all do one basic thing; change your interface.
    WB used to be a clunky, unstable, resource hungry monster but since the release of version 4.0 (it's now at 4.5), its use of hardware acceleration has actually made it less resource-intensive than the standard Windows themes service - provided you don't use extremely fancy skins. Compatibility has been improved, too, and it now works with far more applications and properly gets out of the way of ones that don't work with it so well, few and far between that they are. Source. The range of skins available span from the sublime to the ridiculous but there are some stunning ones available to download for free from here amongst other places. If, for some reason, you aren't fond of the colour of a skin, but like it's design then you can change it's colour, saturation and gamma with a few clicks. It's the most complete skinning utility currently out there and essential in my book. Tip: You no longer need to have the XP theme service running, so disable it asap.

StyleXP is only for XP and uses the native Windows XP theme service to apply its skins. By doing this, it makes it more compatible than WB. The addition of a theme picker much like WB's is included without the same level of control but with more options; as well as visual styles it also allows you to change your backgrounds, logons, bootscreens and icons, all of which are freely available from several sites such as ThemeXP. Using the MS theme service has its downfalls though: The visual styles are more or less restricted to having little more functionality than the native visual styles. It works by using an in-memory patch that fools the theme service into allowing the visual styles to be loaded, so while it technically has no footprint, it's relying on a service that consumes 5 or 6 times the amount of resource that WB's app does.

ObjectDock is a taskbar replacement utility that emulates the functions of the Mac OS X Dock which sits at the bottom of the screen and magnifies the icons as you mouse over them. Coming in two flavours, a basic free version and a non-free tabbed version, they are highly customisable and can contain any shortcut you choose all the way to useful little widgets which display things like the local weather, system information, a clock and media player controls. As some default icons can look a little pixilated, the massive third party support offers some shiny, new alternative icons.

Edited by Dirtbox at 21:05:18 31-03-2005

Edited by Dirtbox at 17:10:23 29-05-2006

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• kalel 29 Mar 2005 00:29:24 87,625 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good stuff DB. Nice one.
  • cubbymoore 29 Mar 2005 00:30:49 36,496 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So you don't think much to Kaspersky then?
  • Dirtbox 29 Mar 2005 00:34:01 78,152 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    So you don't think much to Kaspersky then?
    It's alright, but the only thing that tipped the balance away from it was the memory usage which is slightly more than Panda by about a meg. Nod32 uses 600k for example.

• cubbymoore 29 Mar 2005 00:36:58 36,496 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    True it uses a bit, but in tests it's the best performing AV there is. I have to admit I haven't read any test info on Nod32 yet, and if Microsoft endorse it it must be good.
  • Dirtbox 29 Mar 2005 00:46:55 78,152 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not sure as to what field of software to recommend next, theres so much...

Any requests?

• Freek 29 Mar 2005 00:51:07 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How about some media/video players? Or little handy tools.
  • Dirtbox 29 Mar 2005 00:52:23 78,152 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good call!

• BartonFink 29 Mar 2005 01:04:23 34,908 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Skinning software?

Get XP to look like OSX for the laugh
  • UncleLou Moderator 29 Mar 2005 01:26:05 35,553 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • UncleLou Moderator 29 Mar 2005 01:26:16 35,553 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Excellent, Dirtbox.

Defraggers? :)
  • Dirtbox 29 Mar 2005 01:45:17 78,152 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Updated with players and a defragger :)

• phAge 29 Mar 2005 01:58:41 24,371 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    O&O Defrag is pretty good.
  • NBZ 29 Mar 2005 02:00:36 2,372 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What about free stuff?

For a/v the latest AVGFree (version 7.0) is pretty good. Its not as lightweight as NOD32 (which I have not used), but lighter than anything else I have tried.

Firefox and Thunderbird instead of IE and OE.
  • Khab 29 Mar 2005 02:02:13 6,576 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    deebs, have you tried mplayer? It never fails to play movie files for me, and through some magic doesn't need codecs installed (don't ask me how) - it just runs 'em when it needs 'em.
  • Dirtbox 29 Mar 2005 02:15:31 78,152 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    O&O Defrag is pretty good.
    It works along the same lines as the default defragger with a few improvements. PerfectDisk is just that little bit better.
    Khab wrote:
    deebs, have you tried mplayer? It never fails to play movie files for me, and through some magic doesn't need codecs installed (don't ask me how) - it just runs 'em when it needs 'em.
    The differences between mplayer and media classic aren't great enough to worry about, their functionality is identical and I only use it for realplayer and quicktime.

Edited by Dirtbox at 01:17:52 29-03-2005

• Deleted user 29 March 2005 02:18:42
    db, check out VLC and after checking that out replace it with whatever movie media player you've listed up there.

It's the eat all be all player. It's that simple.
  • Shivoa 29 Mar 2005 02:18:53 5,677 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Think VLC deserves a mention under very good media players with onboard codecs so no faffing about with installing. Cross platform and just generally very slick, although I've got to say I've always been a fan of BSPlayer for Windows and the Mac thing got me hooked on VLC.
  • Deleted user 29 March 2005 02:20:35
    mplayer and media player classic are also nice to have on hand, of course, but VLC is GODZILLA.

hah. beat ya to it, shivoa. IN YOUR FACE.
  • Dirtbox 29 Mar 2005 02:20:57 78,152 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I'll add it.

I can't help but think I've missed a music player that should be on there too.

• cubbymoore 29 Mar 2005 02:21:48 36,496 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    iTunes? ;)
  • Deleted user 29 March 2005 02:22:13
    Don't know about that... iTunes?

Heh, no.. winamp is all I use, at least.
  • Deleted user 29 March 2005 02:22:34
    gawd damn. chubby SERVED me.
  • cubbymoore 29 Mar 2005 02:24:45 36,496 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 29 March 2005 02:26:03
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Nuts :( that was sposed to be "guide to the best software". Could a passing mod change that, please?
    I think 'guide to the software' has a better ring to it. Well done, subconscious you.
  • Blerk Moderator 29 Mar 2005 09:32:43 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heh... I was waiting for someone to say iTunes. iTunes is cack. It sounds alright, but MAN - what a footprint! Winamp pinches about 14-15 megs of memory when I launch it. iTunes nobbles 50-60megs. And tons of processor time. The git.

Why does everyone rate it so highly?
  • Retroid Moderator 29 Mar 2005 09:40:34 44,725 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FFDShow. Pretty much all you need to start watching all the various types of Divx/Xvid etc. files on Windows.
  • ssuellid 29 Mar 2005 09:47:29 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Avant. It works.
    Picasa for photo management.
    Filezilla for FTP.
    Klipfolio for RSS feeds
    isystem wiper - for getting rid of temporary files - including internet cache cookies etc.
  • Ginger 29 Mar 2005 09:49:30 6,836 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Winamp 5 does video too.

London open taekwondo champion

• Shivoa 29 Mar 2005 09:55:42 5,677 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Heh... I was waiting for someone to say iTunes. iTunes is cack. It sounds alright, but MAN - what a footprint! Winamp pinches about 14-15 megs of memory when I launch it. iTunes nobbles 50-60megs. And tons of processor time. The git.

Why does everyone rate it so highly?
    Because we run it on the OS nature intended.

/has noticed iTunes on an 800MHz G4/640MB RAM performs noticably better than a 1.33GHz Athlon/768MB RAM and about on par with his gaming spec PC.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous